• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things
ROM Hacking. What can I say about it. Whether you agree or not, there is no denying that it is a big part, of Pokécommunity. People play hacks, all the time. But making them is a different story. We all have our ideas, for new things and that is the simple truth of the matter. So what is this thread about exactly?

It's a large collective of many ideas, some for hacks, some for features, even completely revolutionizing, how we look at the mechanics.

Now, now, now. Before you start posting replies about why this won't work. Let me explain to you, why this can work. Which you can see in the spoiler below, becuase I ramble alot.

Spoiler:

So what do we do? We discuss ideas, get ideas, make some awesome hacks inspired by those ideas. I know I'm not the only one, who has ideas for anything, Pokémon hack related. Best of all, you don't need any hacking skills to be relevant in the discussion. So newer hackers, are oh-so welcomed, to join in. With cool things, comes with cool rules...(I really can't enforce these rules much, but don't be a dodo head and break them please)

Rules
●You can be anyone to join the chat. Hacker, non-hacker (that sounds weird and ugly, sorry), Pokemon, shoe, frog. Don't feel intimidated to join.
●Simply posting an idea is fine if you don't wanna discuss it.
●You are free to discuss any ideas posted here.
●Don't complain if your idea isn't discussed.
●There is NO such thing as "claiming" an idea. If people want to get inspired by the same thing, so be it.
●Although it is completely contradictory to what I rambled on about, this isn't a place to adveritse your hack. Hack in the idea thread or a progressing or finished hack. Please don't spam a bunch. Although, discussion on what you could add on your hack is fine. :)
●To prevent this thread from taking traffic from Beginner's Lounge, please make a thread there for simple questions, still (or post in the Quick Questions & Answers Thread). Thank you!
●Pokécommunity Rules apply. Soooo.....yeah. You know the drill.

Thanks to...
Bliss- For beign the first one to give feedback on the thread, before I decided to stop being lazy and make it xD also for the first name, which I ended up changing anyways.
Nolafus- For inspiring me to make this sort of thread with the Idea Exchange tread, down on Fanficiton and Writing.
Mods- For accepting this.

With all that said, I hope this will inspire people to make some awesome things, using feedback from awesome people like you :D.

Let your mind wonder, something bigger is bound to happen.

Last edited:

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
I'm so happy that this thread is finally up! Let's share some wonderful ideas and get the creative juices flowing!

Here are a couple of random ideas I've been toying with:

1. (Hack Idea) Koga's Story - A hack which would allow the player to learn Koga's history and his path to becoming a ninja. The hack would start in a remote dojo, hidden away from Kanto in the mountains where Koga was raised. In his early years he simply had to train at the dojo, completing basic tasks and training his Pokemon to become strong enough to fend for themselves in the outside world. After that, the story progresses to the point that Koga ventures forth into Kanto and it tells his story up to the point of him becoming a Pokemon Gym Leader. This marks the end of the game - Roll credits! For the post game, didn't we see him again in Johto? Oh yeah, he was a member of the Elite 4! How did that happen? Let's allow the player to learn this amazing story as well!

2. (Feature) Quick Save Feature - I've been wanting this for a while. But how could you make a quick save feature? This wouldn't be a save state, it could only be done outside of battle. And it won't overwrite the save file. It's a temp file that will be created until the next save or reset. At least, that's the idea I had.

Well, that's my first post here... also just happens to be the first reply to this thread~ Yay!

Lol, let's get some more ideas going!

Last edited:

DJTiki

Years
I'm so happy that this thread is finally up! Let's share some wonderful ideas and get the creative juices flowing!

Here are a couple of random ideas I've been toying with:

1. (Hack Idea) Koga's Story - A hack which would allow the player to learn Koga's history and his path to becoming a ninja. The hack would start in a remote dojo, hidden away from Kanto in the mountains where Koga was raised. In his early years he simply had to train at the dojo, completing basic tasks and training his Pokemon to become strong enough to fend for themselves in the outside world. After that, the story progresses to the point that Koga ventures forth into Kanto and it tells his story up to the point of him becoming a Pokemon Gym Leader. This marks the end of the game - Roll credits! For the post game, didn't we see him again in Johto? Oh yeah, he was a member of the Elite 4! How did that happen? Let's allow the player to learn this amazing story as well!

I always liked the ninja Gym Leaders, in any Pokémon game. Does this also mean that his team should be morely comprised of Poison types? It seems very cool. Shedding a bit of light to the situation. How about, a collectionnofnshort stories about all the Gym Leaders. Mainly because I need Blaine. Blaine is all I need. xD

2. (Feature) Quick Save Feature - I've been wanting this for a while. But how could you make a quick save feature? This wouldn't be a save state, it could only be done outside of battle. And it won't overwrite the save file. It's a temp file that will be created until the next save or reset. At least, that's the idea I had.

I was actually thinking of a feature like this. You can get the player's current position, in the overworld, with a simple command. I think it was getplayerpos. Maybe if you store that postion, you can call it, once you use a warp command. AND TADA, back at where you started. But it wasn't really a save anyways...Maybe store your Pokemon data and everything in some vars, and use that. I really wanted a quick save feature, in hacks.

Well, that's my first post here... also just happens to be the first reply to this thread~ Yay!

Lol, let's get some more ideas going!

Yay! But you did have a small lead over everyone, since you knew first xD. But hey, I'll leave it up to the community to discuss.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Use Save-states :O if you're using something that has them, that is.

Potential stories~

Anything revolving around the little-known legendaries - Legendary Birds, Lugia/Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Celebi, Mew, etc.etc. Some legendaries had a major part in the games, others were mentioned briefly in a little event - it would be interesting to expand any of these to make them the focus for the change.

Like Prixy, I'd love to see more _____ stories with NPCs. Especially Gym Leaders. I bet Blaine has a fun backstory that could be explored :<. It could even focus on becoming a Gym Leader, although the writer would have a tonne of blanks to fill in, as there is no clear canon way in which someone becomes a Gym Leader other than inheritance (?).

Nice thread :3 there used to be a quick storylines thread somewhere but I think it died and got buried XD.

DJTiki

Years
Potential stories~

Anything revolving around the little-known legendaries - Legendary Birds, Lugia/Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Celebi, Mew, etc.etc. Some legendaries had a major part in the games, others were mentioned briefly in a little event - it would be interesting to expand any of these to make them the focus for the change.

There was something always intresting to me about the contrast, the smaller legendaries had, probably even more so than Mascot legendaries. In my opinion, they were way more intresting. I speak mainly about Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion. Who supposedly helped Pokemon, wreck humans, in some war. More backstory on the Legendary Dogs, being Eevee's who died, would be cool too.

So probably a nice hack, about the times before the main games, perhaps?

Like Prixy, I'd love to see more _____ stories with NPCs. Especially Gym Leaders. I bet Blaine has a fun backstory that could be explored :<. It could even focus on becoming a Gym Leader, although the writer would have a tonne of blanks to fill in, as there is no clear canon way in which someone becomes a Gym Leader other than inheritance (?).

Am I the only one that the adventures of Yougster Joey, should be a hack? And along the way, meeting NPC's like the shorts kid and the girl who wanted a Munna. Also give some light to MissingNo.

Nice thread :3 there used to be a quick storylines thread somewhere but I think it died and got buried XD.

Bliss

Years
Use Save-states :O if you're using something that has them, that is.

Potential stories~

Save states break immersion for me, so I was trying to think of a way to make a quick save feature that would make sense. Maybe an HM move that functions as a quick save?

Ah, I've got an idea for Mew, but it's not very fleshed out in the least. Check the spoiler below.
Spoiler:

I remember reading somewhere that when a town is gaining citizens, strong trainers come together and build a gym, then the strongest of which is nominated as the Gym's leader. So, if we wanted to do Blaine's story, we would need to go back to a time when Cinnabar was first discovered/people started moving there. Blaine would have to prove himself to the other trainers that were gathering. I think that would probably work quite well for any of the Gym leaders in general. Koga talks of his ninja training, so I was able to make a tiny little story with that as the basis. Most other gym leaders don't have anything that stands out that much to me, so they didn't come to mind as readily. I've also seen talk of a possible hack where the player is Lt. Surge, and you experience the war that he mentioned back in Gen I "My Pokemon saved me during the war..." so that's another example. One last little note: Flannery. She's extremely interesting to me, since she is so new to being a Gym Leader, and has little confidence. I think her story would be a funny one! Any ideas relating to the topics I've submitted here?
There was something always intresting to me about the contrast, the smaller legendaries had, probably even more so than Mascot legendaries. In my opinion, they were way more intresting. I speak mainly about Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion. Who supposedly helped Pokemon, wreck humans, in some war. More backstory on the Legendary Dogs, being Eevee's who died, would be cool too.
Who, who and who? I have no idea who those three are. Must be Gen IV+ lol.
DJTiKi said:
So probably a nice hack, about the times before the main games, perhaps?

Am I the only one that the adventures of Yougster Joey, should be a hack? And along the way, meeting NPC's like the shorts kid and the girl who wanted a Munna. Also give some light to MissingNo.
Youngster Joey.. getting his own hack? Ugh. So many people are fixated on Joey. He is probably the most over-acknowledged NPC in Pokemon history as a whole lol.

But, I have to admit. I am curious to see what a hacker might come up with for Joey's story. Maybe you have some other ideas to add?

DJTiki

Years
Save states break immersion for me, so I was trying to think of a way to make a quick save feature that would make sense. Maybe an HM move that functions as a quick save?

It'd be very similar to teleport. Besides, it's not like the game comes built in with save states. I personally don't use them, excpet for legendary hunting.

Ah, I've got an idea for Mew, but it's not very fleshed out in the least. Check the spoiler below.
Spoiler:

Yeah it seems rather odd, that Mew was tested on. It isn't as strong as Mewtwo and it was just joyfully playing around. I personally think that Mew ran away from Kanto and went to Mirage Islands in Hoenn(where you can catch it). That could tie together some good plot elements, tying Kanto, which is tied to Johto, to Hoenn, which is also tied to Kalos. Mew probably had something to do with the supposive war in Kanto(as Lt.Surge said) This is an intresting concept. So you think that there is bigger reason, Mew can learn all TM's and HM's, despite them being manmade?

I remember reading somewhere that when a town is gaining citizens, strong trainers come together and build a gym, then the strongest of which is nominated as the Gym's leader. So, if we wanted to do Blaine's story, we would need to go back to a time when Cinnabar was first discovered/people started moving there. Blaine would have to prove himself to the other trainers that were gathering. I think that would probably work quite well for any of the Gym leaders in general. Koga talks of his ninja training, so I was able to make a tiny little story with that as the basis. Most other gym leaders don't have anything that stands out that much tome, so they didn't come to mind as readily. I've also seen talk of a possible hack where the player is Lt. Surge, and you experience the war that he mentioned back in Gen I "My Pokemon saved me during the war..." so that's another example. One last little note: Flannery. She's extremely interesting to me, since she is so new to being a Gym Leader, and has little confidence. I think her story would be a funny one! Any ideas relating to the topics I've submitted here?

I feel as Blaine, had a major part in saving people from Cinnabar. That is probably how he got the postion. Koga and whats her face, Koga's daughter, are both tied. One is a Gym Leader in Kantom and the other is in Johto. Obviously, there is some bloddline, going on. Perhaps, Koga's entire family is ninjas! Flannery, is awesome <3 But I have no idea about her. May need to look up a few things.

Who, who and who? I have no idea who those three are. Must be Gen IV+ lol.

They are Generation 5 actually xD

Youngster Joey.. getting his own hack? Ugh. So many people are fixated on Joey. He is probably the most over-acknowledged NPC in Pokemon history as a whole lol.

But, I have to admit. I am curious to see what a hacker might come up with for Joey's story. Maybe you have some other ideas to add?

I just want Youngster Joey to have a super powerful Rattata, that can't evolve, and goes on a journey through Kanto and Johto to claim all 16 Badges, and Battle Red, his most powerful "rival" xD

Bliss

Years
It'd be very similar to teleport. Besides, it's not like the game comes built in with save states. I personally don't use them, excpet for legendary hunting.
I like to use them to catch Legendaries with either a Normal Pokeball or a Premier (Premier ONLY in RSE, Normal Pokeball in FR/LG) so I understand that one. I'd probably do the same for a Shiny lol.
DJTiKi said:
Spoiler:
Yeah it seems rather odd, that Mew was tested on. It isn't as strong as Mewtwo and it was just joyfully playing around. I personally think that Mew ran away from Kanto and went to Mirage Islands in Hoenn(where you can catch it). That could tie together some good plot elements, tying Kanto, which is tied to Johto, to Hoenn, which is also tied to Kalos. Mew probably had something to do with the supposive war in Kanto(as Lt.Surge said) This is an intresting concept. So you think that there is bigger reason, Mew can learn all TM's and HM's, despite them being manmade?
"Isn't as strong as Mewtwo" I laughed. I think in Gen I the only Pokemon that could truly stand up against Mewtwo was Mew itself. Just had to get that out there lol.

How where Technical Machines and Hidden Machines first invented? I never was able to find out. I wonder if TMs and HMs were actually a result of the same genetic tests that created Mewtwo? That would explain why Mew is compatible with every one of them.
DJTiKi said:
I feel as Blaine, had a major part in saving people from Cinnabar. That is probably how he got the postion. Koga and whats her face, Koga's daughter, are both tied. One is a Gym Leader in Kantom and the other is in Johto. Obviously, there is some bloddline, going on. Perhaps, Koga's entire family is ninjas! Flannery, is awesome <3 But I have no idea about her. May need to look up a few things.
It's been so long since I played Sapphire.. I remember Flannery mentioned something about her father being a great leader or at least a very strong trainer, but I can't remember who he was. That one fact brings dozens of ideas to my mind. What was her first Pokemon? Where did she begin her journey? Did she challenge the E4? Did she fail? Could we have a hack that actually REQUIRES you to lose at the E4? Plenty of little ideas spring forth from this one little thing. Flannery has always been one of my favorite Gym Leaders. But that was mostly because she looked so cute, while not having a really weird fashion sense lol. She seemed very down to earth and realistic after she was defeated in R/S (Never bought a copy of Emerald, so I haven't played it)
DJTiKi said:
They are Generation 5 actually xD
Oh, I see. I am only familiar with Gen I, II, and III. Never had a DS of my own, so Gen IV and up are completely alien to me lol. If you don't have a physical copy of the game, you can't legally emulate, after all!
DJTiKi said:
I just want Youngster Joey to have a super powerful Rattata, that can't evolve, and goes on a journey through Kanto and Johto to claim all 16 Badges, and Battle Red, his most powerful "rival" xD
You want Joey to have a super powerful Rattata that can't evolve? Hmm.

That gives me another idea:
Spoiler:

DJTiki

Years
You want Joey to have a super powerful Rattata that can't evolve? Hmm.

That gives me another idea:
Spoiler:

You're just saying that, so that Vulpix is extremely powerful. XD A hack, in which its stories and mechanics are completely turned on its head. And by that, everything is turned upside down. That wohld be cool. We have Inverse battles and such., alreasy.

Bliss

Years
You're just saying that, so that Vulpix is extremely powerful. XD A hack, in which its stories and mechanics are completely turned on its head. And by that, everything is turned upside down. That wohld be cool. We have Inverse battles and such., alreasy.
Shush, you. But yes, I admit.. I just want to make Vulpix OP. But don't worry, in this hack I'm also going to make a couple of other Pokemon super OP. Now, we won't have game breaking stats, nothing over the top. Everything will be kept within a certain limit. But I'm already working on that hack lol. Got the Evolution taken care of already, going to edit wild Pokemon so we can't run into any evolved forms next. After that comes the fun part: Editing all of the trainers so they can't use Evolved Pokemon. Yay, this is going to take forever. -.-

There are so many possibilities with the Pokemon In Game Engine, yet we rarely see hacks that actually utilize the features available. This thread might help a bit in that regard as well.

Let's change the entire Hacking community for the better!

Years
You know, that would be a good idea, if I completed Pokemon Modified(and I would), I will do this hack.

What will be the name?
Easy, Pokemon Unevolved Fire Red or Unevolved Emerald/Ruby.

Bliss

Years
You know, that would be a good idea, if I completed Pokemon Modified(and I would), I will do this hack.

What will be the name?
Easy, Pokemon Unevolved Fire Red or Unevolved Emerald/Ruby.
Sapphire is ignored again. *cries*

Okay, I'm done pouting.

*ahem* Got about halfway through the wild Pokemon edit and realized that I made a fatal error. Had to restart. (I was using a Leaf Green ROM. What the heck -.- I must have been REALLY tired lol) and then right before I get started, I come check the forum for messages and replies, and I see this post. I can't wait to see what you do with this idea! Good luck, and have fun!

Also, I have another idea I'd like to share this morning. (7:57 AM lol)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
I've got an idea.

Pokemon God-Tier:

Ever went to Wi-Fi and got sick of all the legendary noobs?

Well, what if all the Pokemon received movepool changes, BST changes, new evolutions (or Megas, depending), possibly type changes and new abilities to reach God-tier?

All Pokemon would their BSTs changed to accommodate the new stat increases. Each Pokemon would be viable in their own way. Trainers would have diverse movesets, along with the Champion, along with unpredictable movesets.

You can't really complain about Legendaries when your Pokemon are as powerful as them too.

DJTiki

Years
I've got an idea.

Pokemon God-Tier:

Ever went to Wi-Fi and got sick of all the legendary noobs?

Well, what if all the Pokemon received movepool changes, BST changes, new evolutions (or Megas, depending), possibly type changes and new abilities to reach God-tier?

All Pokemon would their BSTs changed to accommodate the new stat increases. Each Pokemon would be viable in their own way. Trainers would have diverse movesets, along with the Champion, along with unpredictable movesets.

You can't really complain about Legendaries when your Pokemon are as powerful as them too.

Just to point out, it is Uber Tier not God :p. But that idea sounds pretty good. It wouldn't take long to just change the Pokemon. But there is a reason they are legendary. Perhaps a reason to all this...

Maybe like some cataclysmic event happened. Or some sort of story..,

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
When I was new to hacking, I had an idea to make a little hack for practice, that was FR, but from Blue, or Green, whatever you wanna call him's perspective. It was going to be just for fun, and have Red always have level 100 Pokemon... haha, right now I could do it easily if I wanted, but I don't wanna, so if anyone wants to use this idea, go ahead! :)

Years
Sapphire is ignored again. *cries*

Okay, I'm done pouting.

*ahem* Got about halfway through the wild Pokemon edit and realized that I made a fatal error. Had to restart. (I was using a Leaf Green ROM. What the heck -.- I must have been REALLY tired lol) and then right before I get started, I come check the forum for messages and replies, and I see this post. I can't wait to see what you do with this idea! Good luck, and have fun!

Also, I have another idea I'd like to share this morning. (7:57 AM lol)
Spoiler:

I don't know how to hack Sapphire, sorry.
And I heard that Ruby was easy to start with. :p

Bliss

Years
Ruby has a hacked engine in the works actually :p

The code is very similar, I persume.
From what I've heard (I never really looked that deep into RSE ROMs) Sapphire is a "hacking nightmare" because offsets were poorly placed, and there is a lot of wasted space. According to some of the hacking legends (hackers that I consider legends lol) Sapphire was poorly designed on the coding level, and is more difficult to hack because of it. Ruby was coded in a far more simple way, and also similar to other Pokemon games, so it's the obvious choice for hackers.

But that's all the more reason for me to hope for more Sapphire hacks! There are very few tools that support Sapphire, after all. And most that have support for Sapphire only offer limited support, or have major bugs.

I just loved Sapphire more, since the cover is blue. <3 And it was also the first Gen III game I played lol.
But there's bugs, :(
Maybe, Emerald, I think the starters will be,
Vulpix(tribute to Prixy), Chikorita, and Squirtle.
Okay, you've got my attention. Chikorita is one of my favorite Pokemon, and it goes without saying that I really appreciate the tribute! I'll definitely choose Vulpix, but I have to ask, why Squirtle? Just curious lol. So many water choices.

Years
From what I've heard (I never really looked that deep into RSE ROMs) Sapphire is a "hacking nightmare" because offsets were poorly placed, and there is a lot of wasted space. According to some of the hacking legends (hackers that I consider legends lol) Sapphire was poorly designed on the coding level, and is more difficult to hack because of it. Ruby was coded in a far more simple way, and also similar to other Pokemon games, so it's the obvious choice for hackers.

But that's all the more reason for me to hope for more Sapphire hacks! There are very few tools that support Sapphire, after all. And most that have support for Sapphire only offer limited support, or have major bugs.

I just loved Sapphire more, since the cover is blue. <3 And it was also the first Gen III game I played lol.

Okay, you've got my attention. Chikorita is one of my favorite Pokemon, and it goes without saying that I really appreciate the tribute! I'll definitely choose Vulpix, but I have to ask, why Squirtle? Just curious lol. So many water choices.

And I think Ruby/Emerald is much more decent than Sapphire, and about the starters, um, I don't know, Squirtle is one of my favorite Pokemon, you already have your Pokemon,{XD}

Anyways, want to help out?

Back