• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You make the Card!

Naito

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
Undead Infection
Spell
All monsters on your side of the field become zombie types. If they already are zombies, each one will gain 300 attack points.

Re-Powered Machinery
Spell
If a machine type monster is in your graveyard, special summon it back to your side of the field.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
AngelicExcalibur said:
Undead Infection
Spell
All monsters on your side of the field become zombie types. If they already are zombies, each one will gain 300 attack points.

Re-Powered Machinery
Spell
If a machine type monster is in your graveyard, special summon it back to your side of the field.

I thinkUndead Infection probably makes more sense (well, in how Yugioh plays) without the "If they are already..." and either as a Continuous Spell or Field card.

Re-Powered Machinery needs a price on it, most likely through life points, and i forget what other prices there are on bringing cards back from the graveyard XD

Kenny_C.002 said:
Free Will
Quick Magic
If a monster you control is to be placed into the graveyard from battle, you may instead remove it from the game. If you do, draw 2 cards.

Um, is this like Last Will, and can only be used for one monster?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Free Will is more like Pot of Greed with neglectable activation =x Current YGO tries to dump monster into the graveyard to remove them all from game for a RFTDD swarm anyway.

Undead Infection is useless... cause DNA surgery exist with similar effect and nobody uses it.

Repowered Machine is just overpowered? ^^ Who doesn't run machine in a deck now... To make it worse, surely there's loopholes out there for this card with Cyber Twin Dragon o.O;

Naito

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
Summoning of a Vampire
Spell
Pay 1000 life points special summon any card containing "Vampire" in it's name from the deck or hand to your side of the field.

Distract and Heal
Quick-Play Trap
When your opponent attacks your monsters or life points, activate this card. When activated, have your opponent select a card from your hand. If it's a trap or spell card, your opponent will earn 300 life points. If it's a monster card, your opponent will earn 500 life points. The card selected by your opponent will then be send to your graveyard.

Reincarnation
Spell
Remove a monster from play on your side of the graveyard in order to special summon a monster that is the same level as the removed monster from your hand.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
Sounds like the card might be a bit broken. The only other way I can think of is this only being able to activate when the monster dies of spell cards or something.

Digi: quick spell = 1 timer.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Just change it from quick play to either trap or normal spell should balance it... if it's trap, then the opponent has time to destroy the back row before the battle phase to prevent the +1, and if it's normal spell, then it means you have to suicide ram (not too uncommon in YGO) or a compensation if the opponent uses shrink in your battle phase.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
Sounds fair, though it's kinda unfortunate that the idea of quickly turning your dead good stuff into card drawing is too powerful. :-/

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Nyu, there are like...people here again. Yay! For that, a couple of cards. :3

Envoy from the Different Dimension

Warrior/Effect
4 Star/Dark
1500 Atk / 1200 Def

By removing this card in your hand from play add one 'Dimensional Fissure' card from your deck to your hand.

Chaos Exchange
Normal Spell

This card can only be activated when you have four or more cards removed from play. Remove from play this card and two other cards in your hand in order to select one of your cards removed from play and add it to your hand.

D.D. Explosive
Normal Spell

Whenver this card would be sent to your graveyard, you may pay 500 life points to remove this card from play instead. When this card is removed from play as the result of your opponent's card effect, inflict 1000 points of direct damage to your opponent.

D.D. Detonator
Normal Spell

When this card is removed from play, inflict damage to your opponent's life points equal to 1500 x the number of your 'D.D. explosive's removed from play, then add all of your 'D.D. Explosive's removed from play to your graveyard.

Strategic Retreat
Quick-play Spell

This card can only be activated when there are two or more non-token monsters on your field. Shuffle all non-token monsters from your field to your deck then pick up the same number of cards that you added to your deck from the top of your deck. Special Summon any Monster Cards of Level 4 or lower among them on the field in face-up Attack Position or face-down Defense Position then add the rest of the cards to your hand.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Sounds fair, though it's kinda unfortunate that the idea of quickly turning your dead good stuff into card drawing is too powerful. :-/

Because in MtG, if your opponent got a +2 card advantage on you, it's not too late to play better and catch up on the card advantage. If you got a +2 in YGO in the championship level, your opponent is beyond save except for "Heart of the Cards" getting you a topdecking snatch steal or something like that. It's still very possible to win if you're on -2 of course, but YGO there's only so few cards that will promise card advantage that it's difficult to catch up unless the opponent makes a mistake to balance it for you. That's why if Deck Devastation Virus goes off in the hands of a pro, it's basically instant win.

Envoy from the Different Dimension: fair enough, but kinda crazy how reinforcement of the army can basically search out Dimensional Fissure then XD; (and that's the same tutor for D. D. Survivor itself too)

Chaos Exchange- -2 for retrieving game breaking cards... but then it's hard to get spells in the removed pile unless there's Dimensional Fissure. Situational, but not useless either.

D. D. Explosive- not useful... you need your opponent to play Dimensional Fissure in order to do the 1000 damage, which means that I'll just happily use D. D. Detonator (the real one) if I need RFG-Burn, or just classical burn stuff...

D. D. Detonator- we got a card with the same name... either way, guess this gives D. D. Explosives some usefulness, but while it's in the hand, both of them are dead cards... there may be a few ways to exploit them, but it's just far too slow, and the possibility of them in your opening hand is just terrible.

Strategic Retreat- excellent card... or even slightly too good (not sure). Quick play means that this is going to be used to counter incoming destructive spells... or turning a bunch of Nimble Momongas and other recruiters into cards again. (and surely Asura Priest will cry if it tries to sweep up Hydroggedon and they all turn into bigger monsters again.)

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
Because in MtG, if your opponent got a +2 card advantage on you, it's not too late to play better and catch up on the card advantage. If you got a +2 in YGO in the championship level, your opponent is beyond save except for "Heart of the Cards" getting you a topdecking snatch steal or something like that. It's still very possible to win if you're on -2 of course, but YGO there's only so few cards that will promise card advantage that it's difficult to catch up unless the opponent makes a mistake to balance it for you. That's why if Deck Devastation Virus goes off in the hands of a pro, it's basically instant win.

Depends on the circumstances. I can safely say that a +2 CA on beatdown doesn't mean anything, though. But it's good to know that I didn't pick YGO as my game of choice, though, seeing all these problems arise.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
As horribly stupid as it sounds, how many cards would make sense for a win condition as an equivilant to MtG's "Battle of Wits"? XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Depends on the circumstances. I can safely say that a +2 CA on beatdown doesn't mean anything, though. But it's good to know that I didn't pick YGO as my game of choice, though, seeing all these problems arise.

Not really a "problem" but more like choices... Enemy Controller is always a -1 for CA, but it's still used a *lot* because it's a choice of versatility versus advantage. If you got CA yet they're 'dead advantages' (cards that will not help) then it's pretty pointless.

Digi, what is battle of the wits then in MTG? XD;

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
0_o

I'm bowled over by your intellect. XD

Anyway, just a quick card...

Computer Virus
Counter Trap
Activate this card when an opponent declares an attack with a machine-type monster. Negate the attack, then reduce the attacking monster's attack by half during your next battle phase.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
0_o

I'm bowled over by your intellect. XD

Anyway, just a quick card...

Computer Virus
Counter Trap
Activate this card when an opponent declares an attack with a machine-type monster. Negate the attack, then reduce the attacking monster's attack by half during your next battle phase.

Bad version of shrink? >>;
Why not just let the attack go by so the enemy suicides itself? However, it only works on machines, making it sucky compare to shrink ;_;

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
As horribly stupid as it sounds, how many cards would make sense for a win condition as an equivilant to MtG's "Battle of Wits"? XD

Let's put this to the test!

Unparalleled Power
Continuous Spell
During your standby phase, if you have 200 or more cards in your deck, win the game.

Yay first turn kills. XD YGO just doesn't have the support for something like this though. There is no such thing as tutors and redundancy (relevant ones) in YGO.

Not really a "problem" but more like choices... Enemy Controller is always a -1 for CA, but it's still used a *lot* because it's a choice of versatility versus advantage. If you got CA yet they're 'dead advantages' (cards that will not help) then it's pretty pointless.

Digi, what is battle of the wits then in MTG? XD;

IIRC, controller almost always lets you stay alive for an extra turn, which seems to be good enough for use. However, being down CA does mean you have less options in total, which is a problem. Though the concept of "dead advantage" still eludes me, considering that "dead advantages" are almost always never dead, due to potential uses later on in the game, unless it's truly dead cards you're holding (i.e. monster removal vs. monster free decks.).

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
So what is "Battle of Wits" in MTG originally? ;; Maybe if someone explains how that works, I can make a more YGO-friendly version of it XD; (it seems like drawing one specific card in a whole Tower of Power type of deck?)

Enemy Controller got far more use than that

-because it's quick play, technically you can attack a monster that got higher attack power than yours. During the battle phase before damage phase, use Enemy Controller to turn the opponent's monster into defense position (and most YGO monsters got weaker defense than attack), and you'll destroy the monster. If your opponent sees this coming which isn't hard, your opponent will be forced to activate defensive traps early, and you still got the controller.

-Your opponent is using Creature Swap to trade one of your monster for one of his (usually, something pathetic, like a token in attack mode.) You can use enemy controller's 2nd option of tributing one of your monster to temporaily take control of a monster for a turn. Take control of your opponent's monster before creature swap takes place (because you're on the higher chain, thus your card's effect resolve first) to take that attack mode token, and then let creature swap take place. Now, you just toke control of your opponent's monster at the cost of the controller and your original monster, while your opponent lost a monster and creature swap. It's fair balance, but technically the cards you possess now is far better than your opponent's.

-If Zaborg the Thunder Monarch is tributed, then its effect is to destroy one monster (not optional.) It targets your monster. If that's the case, you might as well tribute your monster to take control of Zaborg. Now that Zaborg is the only monster on the field, its effect must target itself, thus destroying it. You used controller and your monster (2 cards) to get rid of a tribute monster (which also requires a tribute fodder to begin with, thus it's 2-for-2 trade again, but the monster field is empty from your opponent for your next turn.)

Very flexible card, really! Surely MtG got some equally complicated cards of CA/Flexibility trade off as well!

Dead Advantage is usually related to the monster field being empty, not necessarily because you're against a no-monster deck. If you have no monsters, then you really can't use tribute monsters from your hand hm? Although you can say that they'll be useful later, but how are you going to escape the downward spiral of getting a monster to the field without it being blown up immediately by the next turn to begin with?

But main problem with dead advantage is usually the Gadgets (similar to MTG "108" I heard, whatever that number stands for) and PACMAN. Gadgets keep getting more gadgets, yet they can only summon one at a time anyway. Their natural effects allow you to dig for a gadgets, so if you also draw more gadgets on your draw phase on top of it, the hand of gadgets is dead advantage. They're pathetic, they're weak, and they need protection, which you aren't drawing, and you can only use one of them at a time per round. If you have 3 of them already in your hand, it'll technically take 4 turns to use them all (each summon digs for more gadget, so you got another 4), which is far too slow to deal with pressing issues.

PACMAN got dead advantage in terms of getting too many monsters who can't attack, yet got awesome flip effects to destroy stuff. When there's nothing more to destroy cause PACMAN is *too* effective, those removal-based cards got nothing to do. You need damage dealers now as you already basically ran a strip search of the opponent's deck already. Those insect swarm cards, the golem sentry and the medusa worms are all totally useless now.

It's just like how MTG got "bad draws" which YGO will never understand. MTG will call Jar of Greed a joke, but YGO will never call it bad at all. It fits up one slot in the deck, and basically deck thins. MTG players will say "why not add something your deck needs? It's pointless if you can draw it now instead of using Jar of Greed to draw that same card later?" YGO got situations where the 40 card minimum is already too high, and it's not just Exodia deck either. They need deckthinning ability, and that's when Jar of Greed comes in. Also, jar of greed is good for setting, and lure out the spell destruction cards, which you'll just chain on to and draw a card. You use jar of greed so you lose 1 and gain 1, but the opponent destroys nothing so it's -1 for them (in total, jar of greed is a +1 CA then.)

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Let's put this to the test!

Unparalleled Power
Continuous Spell
During your standby phase, if you have 200 or more cards in your deck, win the game.

Yay first turn kills. XD YGO just doesn't have the support for something like this though. There is no such thing as tutors and redundancy (relevant ones) in YGO.

...More like second turn kill. You can't play a Continuous Spell from your hand during your turn until your Main Phase, which is, of course, AFTER your Standby Phase. So you'll have to wait a whole round for your opponent to 1. laugh their head off at you, and 2. destroy the spell with one of the now-rampant S/T destroyers (Twister, anyone?) to trample you almost instantly.

You also took my idea...in a way. Mine's the reverse of that:

Deck Tower Crumbling
Normal Spell
If, during your next End Phase, yoru opponent's deck has 45 or more cards in it, you win the Duel.

As for the rest of the post, Frosty's got it covered. I'll add, though, that MTG has a form of dead advantage as well (hand full of high-cost creatures/spells without enough mana to play any of them), so you should at least be vaguely familiar with the concept.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
...More like second turn kill. You can't play a Continuous Spell from your hand during your turn until your Main Phase, which is, of course, AFTER your Standby Phase. So you'll have to wait a whole round for your opponent to 1. laugh their head off at you, and 2. destroy the spell with one of the now-rampant S/T destroyers (Twister, anyone?) to trample you almost instantly.

Deck Tower Crumbling
Normal Spell
If, during your next End Phase, yoru opponent's deck has 45 or more cards in it, you win the Duel.

As for the rest of the post, Frosty's got it covered. I'll add, though, that MTG has a form of dead advantage as well (hand full of high-cost creatures/spells without enough mana to play any of them), so you should at least be vaguely familiar with the concept.

Deck Tower Crumbling will never work though unless you activate it on the very very very first turn of the game, provided that you opted to go first against 45 Gadget setup. No decks will have that many cards. At least for Power of Tower game, you get to control your fate.

Still, even with 3 Twister, MST and Heavy Storm, that's just 5 cards out of 40 to destroy that card on the opening turns (unless, you got Cyber Dragon/Mobius on the same hand.) Tower of Power does thin like crazy, mostly with Ground monsters. It's the only deck where Hero Kid looks insanely annoying. (Not saying that even Hero Kid can save your butt in 200+ card decks... like, dear Kuriboh, not even the fusion deck is that big.)

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
So what is "Battle of Wits" in MTG originally? ;; Maybe if someone explains how that works, I can make a more YGO-friendly version of it XD; (it seems like drawing one specific card in a whole Tower of Power type of deck?)

I made it already. Pretty much word for word. ;)

Enemy Controller got far more use than that

-because it's quick play, technically you can attack a monster that got higher attack power than yours. During the battle phase before damage phase, use Enemy Controller to turn the opponent's monster into defense position (and most YGO monsters got weaker defense than attack), and you'll destroy the monster. If your opponent sees this coming which isn't hard, your opponent will be forced to activate defensive traps early, and you still got the controller.

-Your opponent is using Creature Swap to trade one of your monster for one of his (usually, something pathetic, like a token in attack mode.) You can use enemy controller's 2nd option of tributing one of your monster to temporaily take control of a monster for a turn. Take control of your opponent's monster before creature swap takes place (because you're on the higher chain, thus your card's effect resolve first) to take that attack mode token, and then let creature swap take place. Now, you just toke control of your opponent's monster at the cost of the controller and your original monster, while your opponent lost a monster and creature swap. It's fair balance, but technically the cards you possess now is far better than your opponent's.

-If Zaborg the Thunder Monarch is tributed, then its effect is to destroy one monster (not optional.) It targets your monster. If that's the case, you might as well tribute your monster to take control of Zaborg. Now that Zaborg is the only monster on the field, its effect must target itself, thus destroying it. You used controller and your monster (2 cards) to get rid of a tribute monster (which also requires a tribute fodder to begin with, thus it's 2-for-2 trade again, but the monster field is empty from your opponent for your next turn.)

Very flexible card, really! Surely MtG got some equally complicated cards of CA/Flexibility trade off as well!

I don't actually think there are that many flexible cards in mtg in the current standard. Flexibility does have a different meaning in mtg, though. We want flexibility in the fact that the cards can deal with a large variety of situations, but generally have 1 effect. For example, a card called ancient grudge is able to handle at least 3 or 4 different decks, but has a simple destructive effect.

Strangely enough, controller's ability is designed to even up card advanatge in some way. o_O Interesting concept for the card, just that its wording was inelegant. XD

Dead Advantage is usually related to the monster field being empty, not necessarily because you're against a no-monster deck. If you have no monsters, then you really can't use tribute monsters from your hand hm? That's a dead card, not generally considered to be "dead advantage" unless you have card advantage already. Although you can say that they'll be useful later, but how are you going to escape the downward spiral of getting a monster to the field without it being blown up immediately by the next turn to begin with? This is running under the assumption that you are down on cards, not up on cards, and therefore would be already at a disadvantage, not CA.

But main problem with dead advantage is usually the Gadgets (similar to MTG "108" I heard, whatever that number stands for) and PACMAN. Gadgets keep getting more gadgets, yet they can only summon one at a time anyway. Their natural effects allow you to dig for a gadgets, so if you also draw more gadgets on your draw phase on top of it, the hand of gadgets is dead advantage. They're pathetic, they're weak, and they need protection, which you aren't drawing, and you can only use one of them at a time per round. If you have 3 of them already in your hand, it'll technically take 4 turns to use them all (each summon digs for more gadget, so you got another 4), which is far too slow to deal with pressing issues.

PACMAN got dead advantage in terms of getting too many monsters who can't attack, yet got awesome flip effects to destroy stuff. When there's nothing more to destroy cause PACMAN is *too* effective, those removal-based cards got nothing to do. You need damage dealers now as you already basically ran a strip search of the opponent's deck already. Those insect swarm cards, the golem sentry and the medusa worms are all totally useless now.

I've never had a problem with PACMAN attacking. But this was during the days when both level 4 and binds were 2-of's and MoP was used to fill the gaps. They could still attack right under them. I really don't see how PACMAN equates to dead advantage with the exception of the fact that none of the cards in hand are immediately useful. I'm unaware of 108. It's not the 108 ruling, is it? Not sure at all.

It's just like how MTG got "bad draws" which YGO will never understand. MTG will call Jar of Greed a joke, but YGO will never call it bad at all. It fits up one slot in the deck, and basically deck thins. MTG players will say "why not add something your deck needs? It's pointless if you can draw it now instead of using Jar of Greed to draw that same card later?" YGO got situations where the 40 card minimum is already too high, and it's not just Exodia deck either. They need deckthinning ability, and that's when Jar of Greed comes in. Also, jar of greed is good for setting, and lure out the spell destruction cards, which you'll just chain on to and draw a card. You use jar of greed so you lose 1 and gain 1, but the opponent destroys nothing so it's -1 for them (in total, jar of greed is a +1 CA then.)

Think Twice (2 mana instant for the ability "draw a card", can do it a total of 2 times for 5 mana) has been tearing up the scenes lately in the control department. Remember the concepts of CA and what not CAME from mtg. We're much more aware of deck thinning, CA, etc. than you think. But I do have to agree that Jar of Greed, when translated to mtg, would be a complete joke, because the ability costs less than a single mana, and is useless without some other intrinsic bonus. But in a game where there is no resource problems like that, a card like jar is fair game. In mtg, a jar for that price (free) is deck staple.

Deck Tower Crumbling
Normal Spell

I translated Battle of Wits to YGO form. There really isn't any idea taking other than me taking Battle of Wits and sticking it into YGO.

My definition: "Dead advanatage" refers to being up on CA while having a number of the cards being dead cards. This means that "dead advantage" only really applies to control and combo, as intrinsically aggro doesn't care about CA as much (and they play out of mana screw like nobody's business). If you ARE playing control/combo, you generally will never have that problem of dead advantage (where you can't play expensive spells), as you WILL have a land drop every turn, and you WILL be able to play the expensive guy later when you have controlled the board position/go off. Strangely enough, I don't consider the epxensive guys to be "dead cards", even though you don't have the resources to do it yet. Because IMO it's like saying my hand is dead because I'm tapped out, which is only partially true.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Kenny_C.002 said:
My definition: "Dead advanatage" refers to being up on CA while having a number of the cards being dead cards. This means that "dead advantage" only really applies to control and combo, as intrinsically aggro doesn't care about CA as much (and they play out of mana screw like nobody's business). If you ARE playing control/combo, you generally will never have that problem of dead advantage (where you can't play expensive spells), as you WILL have a land drop every turn, and you WILL be able to play the expensive guy later when you have controlled the board position/go off. Strangely enough, I don't consider the epxensive guys to be "dead cards", even though you don't have the resources to do it yet. Because IMO it's like saying my hand is dead because I'm tapped out, which is only partially true

It's interesting how MTG and YGO totally do not agree with each other sometimes, although one is derived from the other XD;

"Dead cards" ARE "Dead advantage" to YGO. Fast paced nature due to no resource cost often emptys the hand quickly and immediately if neither player is playing combo/control. If you can't use it within say, 3 turns, there better be a darn good reason why it shouldn't be used yet, such as Dimension Fusion or Heavy Storm. YGO demands almost immediate solutions to present day threats. Every one turn that the Dimension Fissure sticks to the field is one turn closer to death for you with all those DD Survivor suddenly turning to God Mode.

2 defining monsters of aggro decks screw themselves over when you're doing a bit too well in CA and got multiples of them- Cyber Dragon and Hydroggedon. Cyber Dragon technically is still easy to use, but cry if you got 2 Hydroggedon in your hand. The 1st one is still useful, but the 2nd one just became a weak beatstick with 1600 (Hydroggedon special summons copies of itself from the deck when it destroys a monster.)

I'm not sure of MTG's speed and pace if it happens to be a 1vs1 game of aggro vs aggro. If that happens in YGO (say, DDT vs Cookie Cutter, you know, the one made by Jae Kim recently, that style) then the game can possibly end in 14 turns. (7 turn for each players.) With a pace that insane because the banlist went crazy-rage in destroying stall cards, a card that needs to wait for a few turns to be used are considered very, very, useless.

Back