• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

+ the PokéCommunicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
Due to the recent COPPA enforcement here in PC, a new topic is in order!

What is your stance on COPPA in PC and how it has affected you?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
My stance is that the thought behind the law is a good one, but it really doesn't work because kids sneak onto the internet without their parents knowing. So it's really pretty silly. And it can also be argued that parents should be responsible for making sure their kids don't get into trouble online, rather than the american government.

Other than that, it hasn't affected me more than that I raised eyebrows at seeing some unexpected names get banned. Mostly because I never asked their age before since age on PC has proven to be a really bad indicator on how great a friend or rational a poster you'll be.

Years
COPPA has good intentions but unfortunately it is much too easy to fake an age or hide it altogether when you're on the internet. It helps out the occasional few children but I don't think it's something that's too successful in the long run and is very easily bypassed.

Melody

Banned
Years
COPPA is a worthless law that doesn't merit any attention. It's just a stunt pulled by the conservative politicians; and it's ultimately powerless at keeping kids actually safe. All one has to do is lie about their age; or your age, and get you banned or shut down.

So it ultimately doesn't do any real good to enforce, and I think the PC staff is making a foolish move by suddenly enforcing it now; 10 years after the fact in a kneejerk response to some silly news story. The damage is already done and if anyone was going to complain; they'd have us anyway.

But if the case is that someone has already complained and it's being enforced; then the staff is making a mistake by not being transparent about that fact; and that's quite frustrating as well since many good members were unjustly banned because of a stupid law we didn't care about before.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Won't affect me (and never would have because I joined PC after I was already 13) but the fact that the staff are suddenly enforcing it kinda bugs me. I've never agreed with the law and I remember it was the bane of my existence on the internet before I was "of age" so my kneejerk reaction--even over a decade later--is utmost annoyance to see the acronym COPPA. I hated having to enter my birthdate wrong every time I'd sign up on a forum. And I'd always sign up with a fake birthdate because why would a stupid little rule like that stop me? So I know every other kid on the internet does it too.

>_> Pretty sure PC's had admins that weren't even 13 yet (or at least, had only just turned 13 by the time they got the position) so obviously age isn't that great of a benchmark for whether or not someone is ready to be online. I know it's the only one that can really be enforced in legal situations requiring maturity but this isn't being carded for M video games and it isn't ordering alcohol when you look young. It's just such a frustratingly stupid law and I can't imagine it actually does any good on the internet. The only kids who'd actually bother leaving a site or not registering (or asking their parents) are probably sensible enough to be using the internet anyway and all the others are signing up with fake ages which you can't validate anyway so whyyyy even bother?

All that said, it is a US law and PC's servers are located in the US so I believe PC must be held subject to US law. There's so little chance PC would ever be targeted for not following it but if it ever were, to my knowledge the site could be shut down. (It absolutely wouldn't be worth fighting for it, money-wise. :/) So to that end I can't argue with the decision to uphold COPPA. I just wish it didn't have to be a decision at all.

Reactions: Guy

Salzorrah

Years
#newtopic

If you guys heard about PC 2.0 which Audy and the hstaff are working on right now, its this new software that'll change PC or something :P

What do you expect from PC 2.0?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
What do you expect from PC 2.0?

I'm not sure I'll like everything about it, from what he's been telling us haha. I know a little about what's coming but I don't know if it would be leaking to say details here (as if I even know any details. I don't, really). Posts won't look quite the same, some sections of PC will get organized very differently and messaging will probably be done differently. All in all it'll likely make PC work more smoothly but I'm not good with changes so I'll likely try to use the old PC for as long as I can xD

Salzorrah

Years
another revive ;-;

OKAY now, for those who don't know, PokeCommunity has its own battle server which can be located right here.

Have you visited the Battle Server? Are you a reg there? What are your thoughts about it?

Years
Have you visited the Battle Server? Are you a reg there? What are your thoughts about it?

Yeah I have visited the server, and I'm a regular there who is an ex-voice and has quite a load of identities there. I managed to learn a lot thanks to the server, and it changed my views on the forum forever.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think the Battle Server of PC's is awesome! I'm one of the regulars there, and I like this server, because I learned much from the server, that I becoming more comfortable hanging out in the forum as well.

Years

Of course I have visited the Battle Server and I am indeed a regular at it. Who wouldn't like the battle server? I mean it may seem intimidating for new users at first, but everyone is nice really! If it weren't for the battle server, I would have never known that Pokémon were split into tiers, either.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years

Of course. I go there everyday. It is the most amazing place with a very friendly and laid back atmosphere where people can just hang out relax and have the craziest nonsensical chats and a few friendly battles with one another. A word of caution: once you set foot into it, it's one of those places which tend to draw you back in no matter how hard you try to leave or stay away. It's that awesome it's irresistible.

Years

I think I'm a regular there, I come every day! One of the things I find interesting is how everybody has alternate usernames with which they sign in from time to time, and figuring out who's who's really fun! It's a neat way to chat with people in real time who's in a different timezone than you.

Salzorrah

Years

I am a regular there, a former voice too, and I absolutely love the Battle Server. Makes you go insane x3

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Username Laugh
Reason for Joining the Club Gunner VM'd me to I love PC very much and I've met a lot of wonderful people here, so why not?
Who's PC's Site Admin? Rukario the Great

Spoiler:

I've visited, but I'm a really horrible battler so I don't go there often. I think it's a great place for the members to hang out, but being the socially awkward twelve-year-old I am, I'm way too shy to participate in the conversations there.

srinator

Reason for Joining the Club: being the only forum i am on, why not? awesome css too :P
Who's PC's Site Admin?: Rukario totally did not look above

if you have been there 2 months back you would know, i was an ex-sexay mod ;) :P
hmm place to be :P

Typhon

'sup
Years
Username: Typhon
Reason for Joining the Club: I love PC, don't I? :P
Who's PC's Site Admin?: Steve (Rukario)

I've been there a few times. I just go there to talk, I've only battled a few times. I'm just not got at competitive, so I always lose. It's a great place to be! :D

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years

I am a regular on the server, yes! At first I was extremely shy in joining because I felt intimidated by the competitiveness it had, and I thought you need to have a certain level of competitiveness just to join. But I was dead wrong and Jelli was first to welcome me to the server when I joined for the first time. I was shown that becoming a competitive battler is optional and up to me if I ever wanted to be. I'm really satisfied that there is an option for random battles, or quick 1-1 battles if you want to battle right away. Mori (Sanguine/Moriarteh on the server) was the one that showed me a few OU articles in regards to the Overused tier, so that's where I made my first OU Rain Team in which it has become a success! It took me a while to get up to speed in terms of competitivity, and it's worth it tbh. For those who haven't joined the server, you should. You will meet the most helpful people, and you will learn a lot more about battling than you should.

Salzorrah

Years
SO I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SERVER MOVE THAT HAPPENED SO LETS HAVE THAT TOPIC!

What do you think about the new server? Is your PC experience a little bit better or worse?

I really did not know the server move actually happened already so I was surprised. But the speed of the server is actually good... maybe a little too fast xD

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
What do you think about the new server? Is your PC experience a little bit better or worse?
It's definitely faster for me. You can really tell how it's improved. Before, PC used to crash and lag a lot, but now it doesn't and I'm really happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back