• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Members leaving: a discussion

Hanatori

Wet Biscuit Maglee
Years
  • >sexual, political and religious topic are (very unfortunately) completely banned...

Aww... that means I won't get to see topics making fun of... never mind.

Meh. I myself have no problem with stuff like the PC crushes, pairing up, and stuff like that, but I DO think that the MOTM is utter crap. It's just a popularity contest, which is just stupid, in my opinion. "Most Valuable Member?" I could go further with this, but I'm not one to cause war. =\

Seeing some of the members leave is rather depressing, though. ._.; It reminds me of Fizzy Bubbles. ;-;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Arwen said:
    No, Getting to know people is at introductions and DCC...

If we took them away, would PC change to become a place of boredom? Most definally... becuase those topics what MADE PC special...

:-/

We already passed the stage of knowing each other already.
    *Thinks about Alyssa: Ever heard of new members...?*

*Has a lot of thought in his mind:

Yeah I never voted for "most valuable member" that's like indirectly saying "everyone else who are not valualbe are:"... MOTM is still neutral to me. However if we're ending MOTM, I hope that we can still do the February MOTM as February is the 2nd anniversary for MOTM, so maybe a nice way to end the MOTM saga.

we analyzed enough about new members already... let's talk "old" members (old as in people from old pc and beyond). It's evidential that many old members left before us, such as gr8person62. I really like him despite of the fact that he can be very brutally truthful (even if he did call me a piece of useless trash once ^_^; ), and great members like him are leaving which is obvious that there's some problem in PC. I read through most of OC reference and you can certainly tell that PC atmosphere and posting tone changed a lot.

Old PC: every topic allows all members to participate
    New PC: topics are enclosed between a few members... resulting in various small groups posting in their own little world...

That is certainly something all members (me, other members, moderators, super moderators and praetor alike) we all need to work on... usually we get off topic and then ended up to some dead discussions where only a few members know what the heck is going on (therefore only they can continue to chat there)

The classical homosexual vs heterosexual, and the creation vs evolution topic... fun fun fun. Unfortunately for the staff, it's a no win situation. Either one of the following will happen.

If banning them:
    -violating freedom of speech
    -group of people who wants to talk about them will be unhappy
    -is banning some of the most interesting topics ever
    -homosexual supporter: "why are we allowed to talk about heterosexual pairings and stuff? this is clear discriminations!"

If opening them:
    -there are bound to be morons who just come along and says "<swear> you all! My side of the argument is correct" and starts a flame war
    -or... one member from one side will eventually lose their temper and does the above
    -some members will say "oh but this cause unhappiness so let's not do it"
    -heterosexual supporter: "why are we allowed to talk about homosexual!? It's clear that this is morally wrong!"

banning or not banning... some people are bound to disagree... it's always a touche topic. In the past they always allowed these topics, starting off with great peaceful discussions until one or two specific members come along to screw things up... it'll be a difficult choice to decide if we shoudl ban these topics or not.

That's all I can think about now... hmm.... *

Purin

Crazy about Pink Hairdos
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    *Thinks about Alyssa: Ever heard of new members...?*

*Has a lot of thought in his mind:

Yeah I never voted for "most valuable member" that's like indirectly saying "everyone else who are not valualbe are:"... MOTM is still neutral to me. However if we're ending MOTM, I hope that we can still do the February MOTM as February is the 2nd anniversary for MOTM, so maybe a nice way to end the MOTM saga.

we analyzed enough about new members already... let's talk "old" members (old as in people from old pc and beyond). It's evidential that many old members left before us, such as gr8person62. I really like him despite of the fact that he can be very brutally truthful (even if he did call me a piece of useless trash once ^_^; ), and great members like him are leaving which is obvious that there's some problem in PC. I read through most of OC reference and you can certainly tell that PC atmosphere and posting tone changed a lot.

Old PC: every topic allows all members to participate
    New PC: topics are enclosed between a few members... resulting in various small groups posting in their own little world...
    I agree we should do away with the MOTM...to tell you all frankly, since the times of old PC, I was hurt whenever there was no votes for me, which is why during old times, I have never placed a vote at all. I had got over that sadness, and now have a neutral stand on MOTM, but other members do feel kind of unwanted if no more than two votes have been placed for them.

Oh yeah gr8person62, I remember him as the one who feels...um...unwanted here? I would have treated him as a good friend if he wasn't too much of a pessimist, and if he had asked me =P

These days I don't go to the Gameboy sections as my gameplaying skills went rusty (I'm not joking). If I had the chance I will gladly roam about to join in at any forums in PC, but I just don't have the knowledge required to (etc. Other Cards since I hardly play card games).

Last edited:

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Alakazam said:
    Why the heck? WHY THE HECK!? How about why the $&%#@? Geez, from the email you sent me you seem like one angry chick. We here at PC just want everyone to have a good time, so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I didn't send you an email, that was Scythemantis. And I'm not a chick, I am a human of the female persuation ;)

Igglybuddy

OMG PENGUINS
    Years
  • In my opinion, things like those romance/pairup threads are extremely frivolous, and we could definitely be spending our time on better things. MOTM I would never support in a moment, as it's just a popularity contest on boards this big. On smaller boards it works well, since you actually get an opportunity to meet new members properly, but not here.

In my experience, members who leave tend to come back eventually...but it would be nice if they didn't leave to begin with.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years

*knows that the pairup thread now os completely different compare to the creator's original intention back then =( *
    *thinks that pairup now is just matching 2 names together with complete randomness*
    *wants to leave MOTM away from this topic as MOTM has its own topic*

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
  • I never realized new members were afraid to post with the more veteren members of the community...well look at that.Why should anyone be afraid- it is not like the others are going to come through their screens and bite off their heads and if any one is mean to u just hold your ground [and be mean back if u are so inclined]
    As for doing away with MoTM i think it is a valid suggestion but not nessary

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Iveechan said:
    Lately I have noticed several members leaving... I myself left at one time, and I'm considering doing it again (well, I came back for a stupid reason). A common reason I have noticed is "I just don't feel wanted here". This may seem superficial to some, but some people do feel an emotional connection to forums. Even though we can't see one another, we know that we are conversing with other people, and this gives us a chance to "socialize" when we ourselves are dis-satisfied in real life with our social lives. Not to mention everybody here has a common interest.

Can't say that this is the absolute blame, but I feel that part of the problem may be the MOTM, pair up, and other such threads. You can b*tch at me all you want saying how these are fun and crap, but I think that some members get the feeling of being excluded. So yeah, there's jealousies. So they move on and never look back. Once again, this may not be the cause of members leaving, that's why this is a discussion.

Obviously, we can't please everyone, but there should be an effort made to make the community more of a nice visiting experience and less of a "status" type place. It's going to take a lot more than banning political/sex topics and making clubs. So discuss; is there a problem, or it it all in their heads?
    A common interest is what drove me to PC, but that was 6 month ago when Serebii.net was down and there was A LOT of Pokemon discussion. Even though the most "important" discussions where in Other Chat, where I was posting just about all-the-time, the long-term effects of the PC's once-huge FANART, Role Play, Gaming, Pokemon General Trivia dying out was inevitable. Serebii.net left and that's what basically happened to the creativity and life/speciality of PC. So I can't see the common interest clearly anymore. It's just too different without our Pokemon base.
    Arwen said:
    No, Getting to know people is at introductions and DCC...

If we took them away, would PC change to become a place of boredom? Most definally... becuase those topics what MADE PC special...

:-/

We already passed the stage of knowing each other already.
    That's what I thought for a long time but now when I think about it, it really still depends on who's on the PC forum that makes PC special.

For those that want to ban certain types of threads, just remember that banning one's words usually leads to banning the people behind them - directly or not. It was heck disappointing to see StarCaliber or Gr8Person62 go just like that.

Personally, I feel unwanted everywhere, but since it's everywhere it's not special so I have deal with it.
    tmbjr said:
    I remember when I was a new member...I was pretty much overlooked for like five months before I became really prominant as a high-poster (I thank people like 22sa and Arcanine for making as many posts as they did around that time...it gave me endless nights of posting and friend-making...)

I'm sure people that are leaving are Frosty's choice number c...they are probably too timid to post regularly with people with 500+ posts. The way I see it, the only way to overcome that is to introduce yourself dynamically and post in every topic you can put a word into...

or...(just to get the chance to attract more members to my moderation forum) they can hang out in the Pok?mon Trivia and games Forum!

XDDD
    :) Yeah, those were totally awesome times. =P

The One Above^ in Other Chat, smooth Daily Chit-Chat, endless days & nights, Post Count Discussion :laugh:, the Australians logging on when everyone in the Americas are still asleep. :cool:

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Why do you think that new members are afraid to post alongside people with high post counts? Have we really scared new people off that way? It?s beyond simple to remove postcount from the postbit template, but removing might cause more harm than good. It would have a massive impact on both sides of the argument really. Veterans will still exist even without them, so long as people recognize one another. We could remove names from the postbit and have everyone not even know who?s making the post, but that?s a bit too far.

Arwen, try not to criticize PE2K or degrade them. You?re a moderator now, don?t just say the first thing that pops in your head. I doubt you?d like it if someone at PE2K warned everyone not to be like nasty PC.

In regards to events, I always found them hard to attend. I?m the kind of person who never feels like she fits in when placed in such an environment, and is merely tolerated. Others may feel the same way, and it isn?t their fault.

Political topics can work here, I want to believe it. I think they can if handled well, and the rules are in the process of being revised.

Iveechan said:
    Iveechan said:
    Why the heck do you keep talking about the banned topics? That's so not the point, it was just a small mention. I've been here longer than Arcanine and Kairi, and I never parade around calling myself a vet or anything. And it's not just new people who are leaving, it's people who have been here longer than me. So we need new theories other than "they are timid of high posters".
    I try not to make myself higher than anyone else here, I?m not sure how well I do that. You?re right, we haven?t been here that long and *do* make mistakes like every other member of the board.

baby*j said:
    The only reason I am thinking of leaving is because this board allows
    baby*j said:
    the bashing of homosexuals.

I think it's pretty stupid (and pathetic) if you leave because "you're

not a part of the group" or similar reasons. I really couldn't care less

that I am not "popular" or in the social clubs here because in my non-

computer life, I am.

I mean, I was a moderator on another board and I had alot of posts, but

before all of that I was NEW. I wasn't scared or intimidated by the moderators

or the administrators ... why should I (or anyone for that matter) be??

So most of the reasons posted for people leaving don't account for everybody.

This board does not allow bashing period. Had I seen that sooner it would have been closed. Don?t take one small event and use it as your looking glass for the whole board, that would be most unwise.

I don?t dislike the old PC, certainly not but I do get tired of people treating it as a superior board entirely. I admit, the chemistry and such was amazing back then and I wish we could re-create it. But it was full of problems too. I looked at the mod lounge and it was not pretty. Some of the moderators were immature, always fighting and abusing their powers. Things that should have been handled easily became complicated. Things that shouldn?t have been allowed to happen did. Petty fights that created tension between the moderators who were supposed to be united to help PC. Now, I wasn?t there and perhaps I?m wrong. I still believe there is good in this PC though.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years

*believes that there's always good in everything regardless of how bad that place/person/object is... maybe hard to believe or practice though =/ *

*certainly believes in the theory of high post count people scaring away new members, as he also waited for himself to "accomplish" something by getting some post counts first before posting in OC... this poor atmosphere is not created by PC and PC has no fault for this being applied to it, but it's society who shapes the world this way of high class with the high class, and the "noobs"/low class with ohter "noobs"/low class*

*cannot make any comment on mod loudge or the old mods as he is not a mod back then and now, and also only knows the mods now (and even for them not well enough to "judge" the mods)*

*believes that another factor for most old members leaving is the change of atmosphere in PC. (Ignoring increased kindness factor) PC touchs more sensitive, controversial topics back then such as religion, politics and any other what we will consider as "ban topics" now. But look at new PC now... the latest abortion thread receives 2 warnings in advance before a single opinion about the thread itself is posted... the increase in sensitivity and lack of tolerance in new PC is the most negative change from old PC to new PC possible. Most members can handle flames a lot better back then by completely ignoring it, and now members tend to be less tolerant by informing mods about it immediately and wants formal warnings given by mods to the flamer immediately to "win" the "situation (argument)", apology demanding which makes things look a lot more stupid than the flame itself, and just generally more afraid to touch on these sensitive topics that people are bound to face sooner or later on the internet or in the real world. New PC focuses more on relaxing entertainment such as role playing (family threads, for example), or the farest discussion like topics are usually irrelevant discussions like favorite drink and etc. The change of mood and atmosphere may please/displease some members, leading to the "change in generation" which old members who dislike this change will leave, while newer members who like this change takes over and "becomes" those "old members", waiting for another change in atmosphere to either continue staying or get replaced.*

*probably said something that's beyond understanding and extremely confusing, but whatever...*

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Post count is a very delicate issue. It is subtle, and small. In reality no part of a person, and yet in some oxymoronic fashion, a major part of it. Remember all the controversy when post counts were turned off in ?Funtime In Pok?land?? Notice that those topics aren?t near as active as they used to be? Somehow, either as an amusing diversion or what, they do play a role so grand and so small that it?s hard to put into words.

PC is softer, yeah. It doesn?t have to be though, if people would really try. Another thing that bugs me is how little those who defend such topics and the reference make an effort to restore it. You should be able to see some corruption outside of the mod lounge if you dig enough.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Kairi said:
    Post count is a very delicate issue. It is subtle, and small. In reality no part of a person, and yet in some oxymoronic fashion, a major part of it. Remember all the controversy when post counts were turned off in ?Funtime In Pok?land?? Notice that those topics aren?t near as active as they used to be? Somehow, either as an amusing diversion or what, they do play a role so grand and so small that it?s hard to put into words.

*believes that that is because post count ultimately points to "power and authority" within PC, with being staff members being the other "power and authority". It's easy to mistaken the fact that "with both of those 'power and authority' in your hands, you play "God of PC." It's very easy for Pokemon Community members even members before new PC to believe in that, as everything MOTM results support that evil theory. However those people with both high post counts and are staff members are not to be blamed. Hence, post count matters. Threads in fun time in Pokeland is such an easy method to gain post counts as you need no "prior knowledge" of anything and you earn a magical +1. But without the magical +1, the thread is "not worth posting" as it gives "no results"... certainly it's just skin-deep-easy to see a flock of these people who aims towards this goal- by posting only in threads where people notices easily, trying to do astonishing things in PC (may succeed or fail), and does many other things to get attention. Not necessary a bad thing but certainly post counts do affect this group of people at least, and perhaps even more*
    *as for Pokeland post count excluded... shall save that for another topic as he can go on for ages about why and why not...*

Kairi said:
    PC is softer, yeah. It doesn?t have to be though, if people would really try. Another thing that bugs me is how little those who defend such topics and the reference make an effort to restore it. You should be able to see some corruption outside of the mod lounge if you dig enough.
    *believes that PC is a community, and if PC is to try to break the cycle of "atmosphere replacement", then at least a group of people will have to try at once... one person can't do much alone in a community*
    *believes that the biggest obstacle in restoring those "banned topics" are the moderators who are against the idea of those topics, or moderators who aren't the most flame tolerant like Frosty's previous post talked about... with the authority and power to close topics on their hand, there's not much a normal member can do to restore those topics by opening them, as not only will they be warned but also have their threads closed... the winners of a war are the ones and only ones to write history, and in this case- moderators*

*another obstacle is the lack of participation of those topics... excellent to see that Nick opened the abortion topic, but any PC member will see that it's always the same people who keep posting in that thread, while other "veterans" with "high post counts" never appear in those threads and stay within Role Playing threads... this really hinders the restoration of the banned topics as without "high post count veterans" posting in them, the "power & authority seekers" and new members won't post in them as well... (as it's pointless for power & authority seekers to post there if those other high post count people are not going to notice them posting there if they are not posting, and as for new member mistaking that it's a topic to stay away from as other "veterans" are staying away from them as well*

*hopes that this post is somewhat sensible... though grammar mistakes are everywhere...*

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Postcounts do count arwen...

even though we don't like to accept it, the higher the post count a person has, then usually the more popular they are to. It's true, because more people see more of their posts...

sad

BOO ya!

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Arwen said:
    Yup... and uh oh..

I'm ahead of you. :o.

only because you don't have wrestling and soccer and weightlifting and all AP and Honors classes..

at least, I don't think you do :D

buuuut

I think one reason for members leaving is bad, whiny modding...

*COUGH*

BOO ya!

Purin

Crazy about Pink Hairdos
    Years
  • Dakota said:
    Postcounts do count arwen...

even though we don't like to accept it, the higher the post count a person has, then usually the more popular they are to. It's true, because more people see more of their posts...

sad

BOO ya!
    Yes, but post count will matter only if you post quality posts, not spam.
    People will also tend to know about you if you have a outstanding, longstanding and popular Pokemon website as well, even if you are a new comer =P.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • Well, I would just like to say that me being a relatively new member here at THe PokeCommunity, I find the members here to be quite friendly and humorous towards one another which is a good thing of course... ^_^

At first I was kind of intimidated at posting at first... maybe it was from looking at the many numbers of people's post counts... never have I seen such high post counts on the forums I've been to! The only members I knew was Austin and Jedi_Amara... but I'm starting to learn more of the members names... i.e. Arcanine, Sapphire...

Back