• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense" [Steel-Type Fan Club]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • ^Welcome to the club!

Finally some activity in here... though I admit I played a huge part in the inactivity of this thread.

Anyways I'm posting a new topic to celebrate (if that's the right word) occasion: What do you think of the new steel types introduced in Gen VI? - namely Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash, and Klefki.

Pokemount

Hello
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    What do you think of the new steel types introduced in Gen VI?

I think they are pretty awesome. Aegislash completely dominates using its stance change and he is a freakin' sword!! I have to admit I didn't find Klefki too appealing to begin with, but after seeing it in battle a few times it is actually quite good with prankster.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I haven't played X and Y yet, so I can't speak from experience, but the ones I've seen look pretty sweet! I'm really interested in the Honedge line. They look so cool!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

At first, I wasn't a big fan. Honedge was just like.. oh a sword. Great. When I finally got around to the games, I realised they weren't that bad. Brilliant even. Klefki is just the most adorable thing to have ever walked (floated?) on this planet. Plus from what I've seen, it copes fairly well in battle. As for the Honedge line, I like the idea of switching between attack and defense. It gives the feel you're using a real sword instead of a creature. My only complaint however would be the lack of creativity between designs. I mean come on, adding one sword and calling it Doublade? Gamefreak you can do better. :(

Years
  • What do you think of the new steel types introduced in Gen VI?

I think we have some quite interesting ones this generation. Klefki is one heck of a great support user with great defensive typing in Steel/Fairy plus who doesn't love a living key ring? I do. And not to mention how many different sets Aegislash can play around with due to its Stance Change ability. I had mixed feelings towards Honedge when I first saw it, but Aegislash restored my faith in the ghostly sword line.

I hear that Steel is no longer resistant to Ghost or Psychic attacks. Way to weaken the Steel-type even further. It goes gain an advantage over Fairy-types, so I guess I shouldn't be too upset.

You got Ghost correct, but it's Dark they also lost resistance to, not Psychic.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • So now that I have Pokemon Y, I can officially comment on the new steel types! Honedge/Doublade has been a fix in my team for pretty much my entire playthrough. Steel and Ghost is a magnificent combination, and they have some pretty solid stats. So far I'm pleased. I haven't caught a Klefki yet though. Once I catch one I'll give it a test drive as well...

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
    Years
  • I have deleted my old posts and re-added my Steel teams. I have 3 in total now.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    At first, I thought the Honedge family was pretty dumb looking. Then I starting thinking a little more clear, as he's no different from other popular Ghost types, like a possessed appliance (Rotom) or a candle (Litwick). Then I saw Aegislash's competitive prowess and... Wow, King's Shield and Stance Change cause him to be very destructive or very defensive! I love the unpredictability. That's just what many Steel types were missing.

Klefki, hmm... I haven't actually used one yet so I don't know how effective its annoying movepoll can be in battle. The design is alright. Nothing I would obsess over nor add to my in-game team.

Years

I'm in the same boat of thinking Honedge looked kind of dumb at first, especially as we haven't seen its evolutions until a while after its first form was revealed. But now it is one of my absolute favorite steel types as well as mega Mawile and I can't wait to breed a shiny. :) The shiny Aegislash is really perfect - the black/gold/red coloring couldn't suit it any more.

shiny_aegislash_global_link_art_by_trainerparshen-d6te1gq.png

Yes yes!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years

Aegislash is awesome. One of my absolute favorites. Its ability is really cool, and makes for some interesting gameplay. Plus King's Shield is a really helpful move. Whenever I'm up against an aegislash, I'm always afraid to attack it out of fear that I might get my attack lowered. Awesome Pokemon! I'm not really too big a fan of Klefki. Pretty lackluster Pokemon, sadly.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Username: Nymphadora.
    Partner(s): Heatran, Forretress.
    What made you join this club?: I'm a big fan of steel-types; why not share the love?
    What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon?: One of them would be Forretress. It may not look that well design-wise, but it's amazing in terms of competitiveness, though. Thanks to its bulk, it could take countless amount of hits from your opponent.

They're not bad at all. One of my favorites would be Aegislash, as it could make a great battler. It's got two forms: blade and shield. Personally, I really like its blade form. If you use it correctly, you should be able to defeat hundreds of your opponent's Pokémon with it. :]

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Username: Nymphadora.
    Partner(s): Heatran, Forretress.
    What made you join this club?: I'm a big fan of steel-types; why not share the love?
    What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon?: One of them would be Forretress. It may not look that well design-wise, but it's amazing in terms of competitiveness, though. Thanks to its bulk, it could take countless amount of hits from your opponent.

They're not bad at all. One of my favorites would be Aegislash, as it could make a great battler. It's got two forms: blade and shield. Personally, I really like its blade form. If you use it correctly, you should be able to defeat hundreds of your opponent's Pokémon with it. :]

Ohh sweet, a fellow Forretress fan! Such an underrated Pokemon. I love setting up some entry hazards and then using Explosion before the opponent gets a chance to deal the final blow :D

Welcome to the club!

Since it's been a while, I figured it's time for a new topic:

What's your favorite steel type combination?

My favorite combination so far is Steel and Fairy (Mawile and Klefki). I'm a defensive battler, and those are the two most defensive types in the game. A ton of resistances, two immunities, and only two weaknesses, what's not to like! I hope we see more Pokemon with these types in the future.

As a follow up to that question, are there any steel type combinations that you'd like to see in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What's your favorite steel type combination?
    Flying-steel is one of my favorites (Skarmory). Steel Pokémon are generally super-effective against ground, but they're also part flying, they gain immunity over them instead. Cool, right? Another of my favorite would be fire-steel. d:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Ownership of the club has been taken over by zomgitscathy. Enjoy!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Thanks Olli! So as you can see, the Steel Type Fan Club is now under new management ^^

In order to keep the club active, I'll change the topic once a week--maybe sooner in the case that a particular topic goes stale quickly. Also, if you sign up to join, I'll try to add you to the club within 24 hours, provided you followed the format (see the first post). If I fall behind on either of the aforementioned items, shoot me a VM or a private message. Other than that, all the rules remain the same.

Hope you all enjoy the club!

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • ArceusIsPower (Mika)
    Steelix is my partner
    You made me join D: jk (; because without steel type how to get rid of ice?
    Lucario is my favorite steel type Pokémon.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Woot! Welcome aboard, Mika! You have been added ^^

Steelix is one of my favorite Pokemon. It's got some stellar defense stats and a great movepool (Gyro Ball for the win!) And I think the awesomeness of Lucario goes without saying :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The club's been inactive for quite a long time, so it's nice to see someone volunteer and finally take over. Thanks a lot, Cathy; we appreciate it. n__n Anyway, Steelix's gotta be one of my favorite steel-types as well. The Pokémon's pretty fierce in terms of looks, and not so bad in battling, either. I personally haven't used it much, but judging from its stats, it's all right.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Agreed, Nymphadora! It's one fierce Pokemon, for sure. I have a lot of fun using it. My favorite strategy is to use Stealth Rock, and then keep using Dragon Tail to force my opponent to keep switching :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back