• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Emerald came after Ruby and Sapphire, as well as Fire Red, so the information known about Fire Red/Ruby is about 1-2 years ahead of Emerald. Also, some hackers just prefer some games over others. That, and it's easier to focus your efforts on 1/2 of the 2 games released. It's more efficient.

And actually, it does support it (as it supports any GBA game). It just doesn't have any bookmarks for sprite data with it.

So, you can use it for Emerald. Well, do you know if it would work for me? I downloaded a patch that makes the sprites like in HG/SS. But they are smaller, so some look bad. Could I change them still? And could I edit the animation at all either?

Years
Well, I'm having a bit of trouble. In my hack, I'm aiming to replace the backsprites of Red and Leaf with Brenden and Mays. However, the palette isn't importing. Could you help me?

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble. In my hack, I'm aiming to replace the backsprites of Red and Leaf with Brendan and Mays. However, the palette isn't importing. Could you help me?

Last edited:

Aproydtix

Pokémon Breeder
Years
I tried to overwrite the image of Brendan, I had Advanced repointing, Safety repointing, Automatically fix pointers and Auto-abort if data is too big on. May's and Beauty's (Index 1 and 5) sprites are now not functioning in the game, they're completely removed from unLZ, however 4 and 5 are damaged when viewed in NSE. (As opposed to 1 and 5)
I'm incredibly angry right now, as I've done a lot of work, and forgot to make a backup. And I mean a lot, at least 3 full days.

Edit: I have a backup with the previous sprites though, if that can be of use.
Edit 2: May's sprite is invisible, Beauty crashes the game, and Hiker loads another sprite with lots of letters over it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2021
Ok, the program works perfectly, I just don't know how to "raise" a sprite. Like I want to copy+paste golem's gen 3 back sprite upwards so I can fill in the bottom and make it look nicer. Could someone help?

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
Hey I've been using NSE 2.X recently and I came across a problem that I can't seem to figure out no matter where I search. I just got done editing Gary's/Rival's sprite but when I go to test it in the rom during gameplay his design is the same but the colors I put in is white instead of the green I selected in the NSE program. Can you help me out with this, I am working on a very important project.

ppvsonicspy

PPV MasterGamer
Years
I need help with a problem I have, you see I change backsprites, save everything even the pallet and everything is OK in NSE. But when I test it in game the pallet is wrong, it seems to me it is using the pallet of the sprites I added before. I go check it out in NSE again and it is using the right pallet, I don't know what to do please help!!!

Last edited:

rune_reaper

Black Rock Shootah
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Whenever I try to change an image (both image and palette) only the new palette loads and the image stays the same. It reads the image, but won't overwrite it.

I really don't know what to do.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2016
can anybody tell me the palette offset for the PKMN status with all the types?

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
Bah... I'm probably too dumb to get it.
I made a Pokemon spirit from the scratch and tried to upload it, but it keeps changing colors although I used less then 16 colors. The background color also changes from green to dark red, although I used the background color of existent pokemon.
I tried to check how the program manages to work with a current pokemon and replace Ho-ho with Celebi, just for the kicks, and then it gave me an error, saying the file is too big...

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Bah... I'm probably too dumb to get it.
I made a Pokemon spirit from the scratch and tried to upload it, but it keeps changing colors although I used less then 16 colors. The background color also changes from green to dark red, although I used the background color of existent pokemon.
I tried to check how the program manages to work with a current pokemon and replace Ho-ho with Celebi, just for the kicks, and then it gave me an error, saying the file is too big...

Actually first you import the sprite then save repoint then save.
Then import the color table (import the same sprite picture) then repoint then save.
ALSO your picture may not be indexed.
You should know how to index a sprite.
that's why you're getting those errors you're talking about. Tajaros made a tutorial on the tutorial section.
From there, you should find it. It's really just the same procedure.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Actually first you import the sprite then save repoint then save.
Then import the color table (import the same sprite picture) then repoint then save.
ALSO your picture may not be indexed.
You should know how to index a sprite.
that's why you're getting those errors you're talking about. Tajaros made a tutorial on the tutorial section.
From there, you should find it. It's really just the same procedure.

Just to expand on this, the reason it would error out if the file was "too big" is because indexed images take up a lot less space than non-indexed ones. This is because non-indexed ones require 4 bytes for each color (RGBA; sometimes only 3 bytes if just RGB), while indexed ones only take one (or less) bytes since you have each color stored once and then each pixel is a reference to which color it uses.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
Just to expand on this, the reason it would error out if the file was "too big" is because indexed images take up a lot less space than non-indexed ones. This is because non-indexed ones require 4 bytes for each color (RGBA; sometimes only 3 bytes if just RGB), while indexed ones only take one (or less) bytes since you have each color stored once and then each pixel is a reference to which color it uses.

Thanks a bunch, both of you.
I'll try to do what you said and also check on the said tutorial.

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
Thank you for this tool. I've been customizing the sprites of some pokemon and the shiny forms because to be honest, they just don't match my preference or I feel like I could add something new to the game.

Okay I'm having a problem with it whenever I try to open it up, it says that Data is not Lz77 compressed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
Can you edit sprite position with this? I'm having a big problem with a sprite I've edited that suddenly ends up way too low on screen (like it's standing below the grassy area).

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
Thank you for this amazing tool :) I particularly love the 'switch color' feature, it's very useful for editing palettes, and much faster than the IrfanView method.

edit: I'm having slight problems, which are probably not because of the program, but still:
1. I'm trying to edit the Oak sprite in the Oak intro, I edited it to match a Slowbro with the exact same color table, but when I import it back in, the colors are all messed up.
2. In the navigation pane there is a bookmark for the text box frame. Since it's just a tile set, I figured changing the tiles while leaving their position intact should work for me but for some reason it messes the position of the textbox. Is there a better way to edit the text box?

Can you edit sprite position with this? I'm having a big problem with a sprite I've edited that suddenly ends up way too low on screen (like it's standing below the grassy area).
IIRC you can't, but you can use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Positioning Editor from his Advance Series Toolbox.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Thank you for this amazing tool :) I particularly love the 'switch color' feature, it's very useful for editing palettes, and much faster than the IrfanView method.

edit: I'm having slight problems, which are probably not because of the program, but still:
1. I'm trying to edit the Oak sprite in the Oak intro, I edited it to match a Slowbro with the exact same color table, but when I import it back in, the colors are all messed up.
2. In the navigation pane there is a bookmark for the text box frame. Since it's just a tile set, I figured changing the tiles while leaving their position intact should work for me but for some reason it messes the position of the textbox. Is there a better way to edit the text box?

IIRC you can't, but you can use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Positioning Editor from his Advance Series Toolbox.

1. You have to repoint the palette.
2. I don't understand.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
Thanks CelticGuard, though I'm having a lot of problems using the Advance series. Still, I found another way to solve my problem.

Door2Dawn

Iron fist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
Okay for the people that have trouble accessing Nameless sprite editor, and are having the error Data is not Lz77 compressed, go to save palette to rom the next time you try to save.

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
1. You have to repoint the palette.
2. I don't understand.
  1. Problem_zps0daec91d.png

So what I did was:
    1. Save the 256-color Oak Sprite using NSE 2.x
    2. Grab the palette of that screen using VBA, import it onto Oak in Photoshop
    3. Edit Oak into Slowbro, making sure I was using the exact same colors
    4. Replace the color table with the original B&W 256-color table
    5. Reimport into NSE. It did not require repointing as it was smaller.
    I don't know where I'm going wrong, it shows up as the wrong colors. :( Also I'm using CS5.

2. Basically I replaced my text box tileset with this:
    Text-Copy_zpsc4d09d84.png

It has all tiles in the correct positions. What happened when I imported it into game was the textbox floated to the top-right corner of the screen (which makes no sense, since I figured if there was any error at all it'd show up as glitchy tiles). However it did require repointing for being too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back