• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Name Change Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
It's disappointing, I'm sure, but we have some unfortunate news for you all. I'm sure over the course of the past two years, you've all noticed once in a while that PC would slow or even have a database error at seemingly random times, and it's been getting increasingly worse. The cause of this, is none other than name changes. And, here to explain to you why is Professor Lightning!:

Basically, since PC is always growing and expanding, it's taken a toll on some of the things we can do. With name changes, consider that every time you change your name, every single reference to it in the database needs to be changed. So if you have 10,000 posts, you leave a lot of visitor messages, and you've got some blog entries, every single one of those needs to be altered to reflect your new name. Multiply that by the number of name changes we get everyday and you can see why PC's been slowing to a crawl (or outright going offline) every time we change names. Now this wouldn't be so bad except every time we change names, we risk crashing parts of the database and that's not a risk we want to be taking.

Now, as you can imagine from the Professor's words, we are indeed abolishing everyone's name change privileges. We may bring it back in the future, which is something we're looking into, but I wouldn't get too excited about the possibility. Just keep in mind that this is something beyond our control, and we would really appreciate your cooperation in this matter. However, we're not mean enough to just say "LOL U GAIZ R STUCK WIT UR NAME RITE NAO!!!!!1111", so you guys have two weeks to request one final name change in this separate thread. This means you guys need to be absolutely certain about the change you're making, which may or may not be hard. If you're anything like me, it'll be hella hard!

This really needs to be made 100% clear:
THIS IS THE LAST NAME CHANGE YOU WILL EVER GET. THIS IS NOT A FREEBIE. ONCE YOU POST IN HERE WITH YOUR NEW NAME, THERE IS NO GOING BACK. AND MAKE SURE YOU DO IT IN THIS SEPARATE THREAD.

A week from now, on February 10th, we'll start changing the ones that have been posted thus far, but on February 17th, the two week point, we will be completely shutting down PC to deal with the bulk of the name changes, considering the stress it puts on the server. Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience and wish we could keep doing them, but remember that name changes were a privilege, not a right.

Yours truly,
The Pokecommunity Staff​

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Professor Lightning would also like to add that if you did not intend on changing your name, or if you're actually okay with keeping the current username you have, please do not request a name change.

Note that we're doing this to be nice. Don't just assume that because we're giving everyone a "free" and unrestricted (as far as time limits go) name change, that you should take advantage of this to frivolously change your name. Once we start changing these names, PC's gonna be down a lot. But we know that with the restrictions in place (a change once every 3-4 months), many people get name changes that are meant to be temporary and fun, but don't reflect the username they would want permanently. That's really what this "free name change" is about.

:( I just don't want the next few weeks to be ridiculously annoying for everyone. If you really want a name change, by all means request one, but if it's really not that big a deal to you, it's probably better just to stick with your current name.

Anyway, it sucks we can't provide name changes after this, but thanks for your understanding, guys. Hopefully one day we'll be able to offer it again.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
This saddens me. :( Oh well~ If it's messing with the database, I guess it's for the best.

I'm glad I changed into this name before you stopped the name changes. As for my alt., I barely go on that account.

Cherrim

Years
@JohnPaulJones: ...please reread the thread and post your request in the proper place.
So will the admins still be able to change their names after this? =w=
Well, technically we'd still be "able" to change any name, but that doesn't mean we will. :/ The whole point of this is that changing names isn't good for the database so we're discontinuing the option. Staff are not exempt.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I actually once thought that it was all the name changes that cause PC to bonk out at the worst times. Never thought my dream would turn into a nightmare. : O

Last ever... so there's no turning back. I was contemplating a name change to Dipu, my actual nickname, or to Bloodex, but I have an alternte with that name, and Dipu is meh. I'll be nice to the mods and leave my name.

PC's gonna be different with the no name change rule... but other then the practical result (less crashing) you think that it'll affect PC in itself? (Hope you understand?) I don't think so, but I'd like to know what you think.

(I only changed my name once, yet, a little is a lot with all the posts... damn, I can't imagine how much hell we've put the database through. xD)

Cherrim

Years

Perhaps you could make it clear that that's a link, my style just makes it look bold =3=

but yeah, sorry for contributing to the crashes :x
u_u Yeah, sorry about that. Fixed the wording a little bit.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Now I won't be tempted to change my name again. 8D!

It does still bite, but it's understandable.

My suggestion for this is maybe on occasion bring it back for a week or so. Maybe not every month, or even every few months. Maybe only once or twice a year, and give people a limited amount of time to post in thread for it. Once the thread closes, if you didn't post your username change request in there.. then you'll have to wait it until the next round? >.>

I dunno, just my suggestion.. buut it might still be too hard on the system. D:

Cherrim

Years
My suggestion for this is maybe on occasion bring it back for a week or so. Maybe not every month, or even every few months. Maybe only once or twice a year, and give people a limited amount of time to post in thread for it. Once the thread closes, if you didn't post your username change request in there.. then you'll have to wait it until the next round? >.>
Well, the thing is, even if we restrict it like that, the risk of a table crashing is still there. We considered turning the boards off (to reduce the load while we did this), or doing it in the dead of night, but whether we do one change every 4 months or a bunch every day, the risk is there regardless. It's not doing a bunch of names at once that causes PC to slow to a halt, it's just doing one change. That's all it takes. :(

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
Now I won't be tempted to change my name again. 8D!

It does still bite, but it's understandable.

I dunno, just my suggestion.. buut it might still be too hard on the system. D:
It's a good idea, but as it is now it only takes a single changes for it to crash PC. We don't want to get rid of the system, it's something we've had for years and years. But it's killing PC, to the point where we just have to do without it. Maybe down the road it'll come back, maybe not, but at this point in time it's keep PC up without name changes, or PC down with them.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Eeeeww, yeaah.. That's why I figured the idea wouldn't work.
Since one can crash the system, I suppose 9458 changes in a week or so would be.. not fun times. D:

Ah well. So long name changes.~

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Hmmm... what a bite. I'm glad this was now and not before, I am starting to rid of my AdvancedK(Insert random # here) alias. It's stuck for a good long time but... yeah. I'm not a dog, peoples ;_;

Hmmm... It's all the fault of the people with the ridiculous post counts... and yes, I realize I am hammering myself with that. I can live with the total guilt. So once in a lifetime I'll take the final chance at the right time... :(

Guy

just a guy
Years
It really does bite to see Name Changes go, :\ especially since it was a great beneficial feature for the forum and its members. However, it's for the best as I rather have PC without the lagging and DBE's. It'll be nice to see it come back in the later future, but if not, we can make due.

I think I'll be sticking to Hiiro though as I find it the name that suits me the most. I would have always gone back to it anyway even if I had changed my name in the later future, but I guess now I won't have that pressure or worry to deal with. It'll be my name basically ... forever.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
Years
Well, after this ordeal, would Pokecommunity become a little bit faster and safer than it was before?

It really sucks for the name changing to be removed, but I'm sure that this is for the best. I really like Drew's idea, but I guess that even one change is enough to tear down Pokecommunity. Oh well, I hope it comes back one day.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Well, after this ordeal, would Pokecommunity become a little bit faster and safer than it was before?

It really sucks for the name changing to be removed, but I'm sure that this is for the best. I really like Drew's idea, but I guess that even one change is enough to tear down Pokecommunity. Oh well, I hope it comes back one day.

I'm sure that it will most definitely become faster, and less prone to the crashes which I have cursed for years. :\

I feel sorry for those in the future, though, that join with 'newbish' names...

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 6, 2015
I'm sure gonna miss name changes
I had quite a few lined up after this one ;-;
oh well

I can live without name changes if it means the Database will assplode less ;<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back