• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black vs White!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
250px-Black_EN_boxart.png
6219A.png
250px-White_EN_boxart.png

Now, we'll get into the games themselves! Which of the two original versions do you favor? Is it the ultra modern Black, or do you venture through the "for-old-time-sake" White? White Forest or Black City? Which has the best music, the better trainers, the better feel of gameplay? Discuss it all in this week's Weekly Poll!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've owned both these games, but I'll probably have to go with White. It's got Reshiram exclusive to it, which is my favorite of the duo. It also has access to Breloom, Honchkrow, and Whimsicott, which are three of my most favorite Pokémon. 8)

Years
I've got both games myself, but it's Black that I'm voting for. I liked its version exclusives better, and I also loved that high-tech look of Opelucid City compared to its rustic look in White. I also liked Black City's design better.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Don't the games have identical music?

I like white better mainly for Zekrom. I'm really not a big fan of Reshiram. I also think that the White Opelucid city looks much nicer. Plus it has Sydian's favorite Pokemon, Petilil in it so you know, what's not to like?

In regards to the new battle formats, I hated both of them so I really can't say one game was better than the other in that respect because ugh Triples and Rotation battles all suck!

White Forest having access to Pokemon also seems more useful than Black's trainer battles in my opinion.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
There's differential between these respective versions:
- Music in the Opelucid city in white version seems smoother and calm, while black is futuristic punk/rock style.

- Aside from inverted legend mascot (yingyang), just like every pokemon game you find, you'll find certain pokemon not available of the version you owned e.g. looking spefic bug-type like Weedle in white, you require trading.

- Battles in Black, thus in White
- Player will battle Iris or Drayden, also N will have Reshiram/Zekrom if player owns black/white

Aside from differences, I'll rather say I like both versions.
Edit; And either of these version have different cities that act like battle tower.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

Edit; And either of these version have different cities that act like battle tower.
I think you're thinking of them in Black 2 and White 2. They don't act that way in Black and White. Black City is filled with people who battle you, and some who sell you rare items. White Forest has special patches of wild Pokemon and items found on the ground. Personally, as a breeder, I preferred White Forest.

Years
White! I prefer white over black plus it had Zekrom which was an electric type, one of my favorite types. *_* I was originally going to get Black but eventually leaned more towards the other version due to it having more version exclusives I'd prefer.

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
White, because then N can be Seto Kaiba.

Go, Blue-Eyes White Reshiram! Screw your ideals, I have GREEN HAIR!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2023
I personally preferred Black version, though White version had some nice good points to it as well.

The feel of the game was just more enjoyable to me for some reason; I suppose I felt like if I wanted something more 'rustic', I should go play an older gen game instead, haha. The more advanced feeling of black felt better to me.

I also enjoyed the exclusives a lot more in Black. White's were decent, but Whimsicott trumps Lilligant in my opinion, design and game play wise. That's a personal opinion though, so I know others would disagree.

Years
I originally liked Zekrom more so I went with White as my main game, but I eventually grew to like Reshiram more. I like the rest of White's exclusives more than Black's, though, so i'd go with that. I already erased the saved data on my White, anyway, but that's my preference of the two.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I chose White because of its nature-feel and because Iris was a gymleader. Yet I like Reshiram a little bit more, and ended up having to trade for Whimsicott to get in White, the only version exclusive I really cared about.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I only played White, and it was the first game I actually played seriously and finished. I chose it over Black because I preferred the old look of Opelucid City. It just felt more fitting having Castelia + Nimbasa + Driftveil as the modern cities of the region, and Icirrus + Opelucid + Lacunosa the more traditional cities. I also like White Forest better than Black City.

As for version exclusives, I don't really mind it that much; I didn't really care about the legendary genies, and non-legendaries are easy to trade for anyway.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I'm gunna go with White on this. The only reason being is that I love White Forest ^w^b

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
White has the edge for me. The breakdown:

The only Black version Unova pokemon I prefer is Sawk (and it's not even exclusive - it's just more difficult to catch in White). I'm about even on Reuniclus vs. Gothitelle, and prefer Braviary over Mandibuzz and Lilligant over Whimsicott. I generally don't bother with legendaries, and I particularly dislike the ones in BW because they're forced on me, so that's moot. And I prefer old Opelucid City to modern Opelucid City and White Forest to Black City.

The only thing that I prefer in Black beyond the relative ease of catching Sawk is a few of the version exclusive National Dex swarm pokemon - Houndour, Shroomish and Murkrow over Poochyena, Paras and Misdreavus.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm going with White because I like nature-based exclusives like White Forest, and I like Braviary and Reuniclus which are exclusive in White as well.

Back