• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Mew Glitch

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2015
    There's a few things about this glitch, and some questions...

1. Did/do you believe in in the Mew glitch?
    2. Have you ever attempted the Mew glitch when you heard about it? (if you didn't, skip to question 5)
    3. Did you successfully accomplish the glitch?
    4. If you did, did you ever catch Mew?
    5. What are your thoughts about the Mew glitch vs. Gamefreak selling Mew at vending machines?
    6. Have you ever just decided to use a Gameshark code to get rares instead of buying them, or participating in events by running around?

The Mew glitch is pretty cool, but when it started getting popular, Gamefreak cut off trading to the GBA games (from other related glitches).

But still, in all honesty, why are rares so difficult to get? I feel as though the whole "you didn't get the event, so no rare for you" thing bugs me. The Mew glitch just satisfies that itch.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    1. Yes, I believe in the Mew glitch.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes. The game I did it on stopped working properly shortly thereafter, though (it would freeze whenever you talked to anyone or did anything, though you could walk around in the Pokémon center a bit). When I finally managed to delete the save file with the help of an outside device (MegaMemory Card), I couldn't start a new game because it would freeze and give Gastly's cry followed by random noise when Oak's dialogue box came up. (The dialogue box wouldn't fill in later). I also tried replacing the battery (wondering if that was dead or messed up or something), but that didn't help, either. I don't know if the Mew glitch had anything to do with the problems or not, but I'm pretty suspicious, and I recall reading one similar account from someone on another forum years ago.

5. I never knew that Gamefreak sold Mew at vending machines. I thought they just gave them away at events in Japan for free or something. I like the idea of Mew being available legitimately, but paying for it...I don't know, I just think they should have put it into the game normally as a post-Elite Four event. I'm not too fond of the glitch thanks to what happened to the game afterwards, but it did work as described, and I didn't have to pay for it.

6. No, I don't own a Gameshark, and I don't like to use codes on my games. If I don't get to an event, I'll generally just try to get a copy from someone else. Now, I generally have no way of knowing whether that person got the event legitimately or sent it to themselves from their computer via a fake GTS server, but I don't like to hack/cheat on my own cartridges.

Overall, I'll agree with you, I'm not fond of events. I don't like having to try to find a place to get them, etc. I don't mind the wifi ones so much, but the in-store ones are a pain, and in general, I don't like the limited-time nature of events.

As for the lack of trading between gen1/2 and gen 3, I think that had more to do with the changes in the IV system than it did with glitches getting out of hand.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • 1. Yes

2. Yes. BTW, I thank it for getting me back into Pokémon after years of not playing it. I basically used a Blue version cart as a test subject when I wanted to learn how to replace batteries, it worked, then I wanted to try the Mew glitch while I was at it, and then I just kept playing and could not stop.

3. Yes. For those who don't know, there are several versions of this glitch (several combinations of routes and trainers) . I tried the earliest available version: Nugget Bridge, the first trainer in Misty's gym, using Abra with Teleport instead of fly...

4. Yes.

5. Me too, I had no idea they were selling Mews like this. To be honest, Gen 1 was the only one where IMO event exclusives were tolerable, because Mew was at the tail end of the Pokédex. If you didn't have it, you could have a complete Pokédex and not even know it exists. Now it's getting ridiculous: the Professor tells you your Pokédex is complete, yet there are a dozen empty spots in there, and it really starts to feel like Game Freak is trolling those who can't go to events. The Mew glitch is kinda cool, because I don't get to stare at an empty spot in my Gen 2 Pokédex.

6. I did get an Action Replay exactly for this purpose (I deleted everything from it, I only kept event-triggering codes). Really, if I could officially BUY event-exclusives for older generations, I would do that in a heartbeat, because I usually hate cheating. But I also hate staring at empty spots in something that an NPC in denial keeps insisting is complete. And with me catching every other Pokémon in a legit way (I play for Pokédex completion) , I can honestly say I feel no shame in using AR to get event exclusives.

Really, Game Freak should either make certain forms of event exclusives catchable in-game, reorganize the National Pokédex by removing the event exclusives from it or change the slogan of Pokémon to the more honest "Gotta catch most of'em".

As for events, I can't go to real-life events, and worthwhile Wi-Fi events are few and far between.

As for the lack of trading between gen1/2 and gen 3, I think that had more to do with the changes in the IV system than it did with glitches getting out of hand.
    Above all, it was because Game Boy (Color) and Game Boy Advance games had completely different and incompatible communication protocols and therefore could not communicate through the link cable at all. While the GBA itself was backwards compatible with the original link cable, it was mostly to make GB(C) games run on it, GBA games didn't have access to the GB communication protocol at all. So you can blame Nintendo for cutting off the first two generations, and not Game Freak :) .

While the EV/IV system was not the main cause of the incompatibility, it certainly was the result of it. Knowing how much people at Game Freak value connectivity, I bet that if GB and GBA games were compatible in any shape or form, they wouldn't have redesigned the EV/IV system so drastically in the first place for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2015
    Agreed.. also, I've lost faith in that motto when Japan decided not to make a game to give those events... I mean, there was the GBA E-Reader, and they could have made cards accessible for people to buy and use for it... they did with some things, but not the exclusive event Pokemon.

I would use gameshark/AR personally for later games, just because it's like... I missed out on a few events because I was sick, then I missed the event. Now I lost out.

Well okay GAMEFREAK... jerks...

Also, for years there was some event Pokemon that never made it to USA/Canada.

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • 1. Did/do you believe in in the Mew glitch? at first not, until a friend of mine came with his pokemon red game, and did the glitch successfully. after that, I was sold and have been doing the glitch each time I re-played the game...
    2. Have you ever attempted the Mew glitch when you heard about it? (if you didn't, skip to question 5) more than I'd like to admit.
    3. Did you successfully accomplish the glitch? every time I tried it (with some exceptions being the "fly before he walks" part, that was just really annoying).
    4. If you did, did you ever catch Mew? Meh, 40% of the time I did.
    5. What are your thoughts about the Mew glitch vs. Gamefreak selling Mew at vending machines? A glitch is a glitch. it isn't supposed to be there (although this was a very convienient one, so maybe nintendo just put it in for fun..?) but not everyone knew about this, so I see why nintendo kept selling mew.
    6. Have you ever just decided to use a Gameshark code to get rares instead of buying them, or participating in events by running around? only at the shaymin and darkrai events on pokemon diamond, when I found out the nearest place to get it was in friggin' GERMANY (I'm from The Netherlands, so that would be 3 - 4 hours driving). I wanted both of them, but my parents and also I weren't in the mood to drive a whole day for a single pokemon. A few months later, I came across gameshark and fell in love. That love was for a short time, since I don't like these kinds of hacks now.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • 1. Did/do you believe in in the Mew glitch?
    > I was sceptic when I first heard about it but, as the dedicated Pokemon Trainer I am to catch them all, I decided to try the Glitch and it turned out to be true omg! :3

2. Have you ever attempted the Mew glitch when you heard about it? (if you didn't, skip to question 5)
    > Although I was sceptic at first if this wasn't some troll-scam, yes

> Yes indeed, multiple times ofcourse :3 when I ever started a new game on R/B/Y, since I knew about the glitch, I always skipped the SLowpoke trainer to perform the glitch later on when I could use Fly

> Yes every time I performed this glitch, I have managed to capture Mew, of course anyone attemtping to perform this glitch should be well prepared with Pokeballs/Great Balls before hand

5. What are your thoughts about the Mew glitch vs. Gamefreak selling Mew at vending machines?
    > Meh, rather have the glitch instead :3 I like doing all the glitches in these games and it never gets old. When you have the opportunity to just "buy" a Pokemon (especially a rare one) it is just too simple and no fun at all of the proud feeling having caught a really neat (or long wanted) Pokemon. Although a glitch isn't supposed to be there, I really liked it (it also works with different trainers in the game I tried it on some Hikers and Fishermen, and also got a Lv.7 Machamp!), it was a really fun aspect to perform

6. Have you ever just decided to use a Gameshark code to get rares instead of buying them, or participating in events by running around?
    > Well no, altough I never owned a Gameshark I do own an R4 for my DS systems, but I think it makes the games less fun (like 999 Masterballs etc. etc.). But on the other hand, performing a "cheat" for more story lines in your game, like catching Shaymin, Darkrai and Arceus in the D/P/Pt series, did add alot more playing content because there were actually some extensions to the story (you only could get of an event NEVER to be held in my country >.>, so I kinda had to because I really wanted to play those scenes and catch those Pokemon too)

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years

I honestly never knew about the Mew glitch till just a few years ago, and naturally I believed in it, considering I had quite a bunch of sources to confirm it, so yeah, never really any doubt in whether it was real or not.

Yeah, I did perform the Mew glitch, and while I may not have known about the Mew glitch specifically, I'd always known about the existence of Mew, and still found it to be an extremely fascinating and mysterious Pokemon, so encountering it was... pretty exciting. I actually tried to wait with doing the last step because I wanted one of my friends to be there when I encountered it, but I didn't wnat to wait with finding out whether the trick worked or not. And it did, and it was pretty dang awesome, but unfortunately I only wanted to confirm that the trick worked, and turned off the Gameboy again afterwards. Well, turns out you can't do the glitch twice in the same save, even though I skipped to the save from before I encountered Mew, but I reckon it had something to do with certain parameters and stuff that wasn't related to the save itself, so I'd have to do it all over again, and well. It was pretty awkward when I wanted to show it to my friend, and Mew decided not to appear :p

See question 2 :p

I personally didn't catch Mew, since I honestly didn't really want to go through with all the steps again, but for some reason I was alright with guiding a friend on how to do it, and he did manage to catch it. Turns out it wasn't the almighty, unbeatable Pokemon that we all thought it'd be, but still pretty exciting nonetheless :p I'm actually pretty sure he never restarted the game, and that he sold the game on Ebay, so I reckon some lucky kid got themselves a Mew :p

...they sell Mew at vending machines? For what I know, they only distributed Mew at a few events, some that were nowhere near as numerous as the amount of events we see today, so I'm completely fine with people using Gamesharks or doing the Mew code to acquire it. It's not like Gamefreak really care much about the originals anymore, at least not from a financial viewpoint :p

No, apart from the Mew glitch, all I've done within the copies I've bought myself has been totally legit, but then again, I've only ever really received legendaries from events in Black 2, so there's not really much to say on that matter. I've never owned a Gameshark though, and I've only ever used it on emulators, where it's usually kinda "I don't care" anyways, and I've only ever really done it when I've either gotten bored with the game, or never took it that seriously to begin with, so yeah :p I don't disapprove of the method though, because there's not really any way to get the event legendaries anyways after the events are over, so it's more like, what else can people really do about it.

Years
  • 1. How is this even a question? It's always been there.

2-4. Who would pass up such a fascinating experience?

5. Do the glitches if it's available.

6. Yes. Who cares? It's just pixels.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    A: I have done it many times now, but I can't recall my first reaction to it; I want to say once I saw a video of it being performed, I was willing to try it.

Probably after seeing a video demonstration.

I think I messed up the first few times, but I have the hang of it now.

It was my first capture through that glitch; initially I was not aware other Pokemon could be caught through it (this glitch is responsible for my obtaining Pokemon only obtainable through trade in Red, such as Bellsprout and Golem).

I was not aware they were sold in vending machines; I disagree with "selling" legendaries, though I do support event distributions. Honestly, I don't think either method is a "good" way to obtain Mew, but considering RBY had retired by the time I learned of the glitch, I had no qualms about "cheating" this time.

Red was my only game, and I never owned a Gameshark nor participated in events. I didn't even trade!

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    1: I felt that both Mew and Celebi were little more than thin air.
    2: I did try to get Mew. The 'glitch' I heard involved sequence-breaking such that you can get an item called the Car Key, which let you into a truck near the S. S. Anne, which contained a pokeball containing Mew.
    3: Nope.
    4: N/A.
    5: At the time, I didn't care. Now, I still don't, but wish that Mew had been made legitimately available. The reason I don't care is that Mew wouldn't have solved the balance problems in Red/Blue/Yellow.
    6: I did once use a GameShark to hack my save file and get Mew, but I had beaten Red/Blue three times by then. Even still, many Pokemon are actually stronger/more useful than Mew, so it mattered little.

Sparkywalkthroughs

join the adventure
    Years
  • I do agree about the Mew thing, they need to make some event in the actual game (some awesome event) to get mew, or jirachi.
    But from what i've heard, Pokemons Release wasnt really that popular until they announced there was a rare, one time Pokemon.
    So i guess they're probably falling back on that.
    i've never tried that mew glitch but i have seen the Youtube video's. lol

Flakey Bear

Just watch it.
    Years

-Yes.

-Yes.

-Yes. It was pretty hard to do.

-I've catched it when i was messing around with Pokémon Diamond on my DS.

-I din't knew. Did they really sell a Mew for your Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow game?

-No. I don't use Gameshark, or got into a Pokémon event.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    1. Yes. There were a lot of different versions, but I still believed I'd find him one day.

2. Yes, including others that didn't work while I was a kid... Under the truck/behind Bill's house, it intrigued me so much.

3. Yes, I think I've done it every time since finding out about it.

4. Every time. He always has a spot in my yellow team. :)

5. I thought it was a huge win for the fact we never got the chance to get a mew and he was my all-time favourite at the time.

6. In Ruby and Emerald I did. I let my brother make a new save file on ruby after I caught all the legendaries with it including Lugia, Ho'oh, Celebi, Mew, Jirachi and Deoxys. I moved them to my Emerald game but I wasn't aware it was a bootleg and I lost them all..... The gameshark died on me as well.

Last edited:

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • 1. It's hard not to believe in something that's been proven to be a fact.
    2. I tried it once, in my badly translated Green ROM.
    3. After several tries, yes.
    4. Yes, though it took almost every ball I had. That Mew is now a permanent part of my Green team.
    5. I'd prefer to get event Pokemon legitimately, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with abusing glitches that don't require any modification of the games' code.
    6. Back during Gen III, I couldn't legitimately get a Deoxys because the event didn't come to my city, so I did use an Action Replay to hack one myself. It's not something I like to do, and I haven't done it since.

Outlier

I didn't know about the glitch until many years after the game stopped working for me. Keep in mind it wasn't common knowledge to children who weren't internet savvy, which was me and most of my friends back in the 90's.

But there was this one kid who was a few years older then me and my friends. He came up to us during recess while we were playing Pokemon and he told us he had Mew! In fact he had several. We didn't believe him until he showed us on his Gameboy. He offered to trade all his Mews to us for ANY Pokemon in exchange. I thought it was too suspicious and I ended up being the only one in the group who turned down his offer. I thought the Mew was obtained illegally or hacked somehow. I feel ridiculous now when I look back on it and I realize that his Mew was most likely obtained legitimately through the notorious Mew glitch and then traded over to his Silver/Gold game to be cloned.

So I never got my hands on Mew. :(

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2015
    No i don't never worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!! i think its a hard glitch but could be real!

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • 1 and 2 yes.
    3. I had heard about the Mew Glitch but never successfully did it until 2012.
    4. Yes
    5. If you can do a glitch, you are getting a Pokemon legitimately. If you use devices, you are cheating.
    6. I take pride in not using Gameshark on my games, so no.

Back