• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
At the risk of going a little off topic, but that reminds me of a quote someoneorother said:
Quote:
The day you are born is the last day you are truly free.
Depressingly it's true.
agreed, it's a shame we can't appreciate it then

Boobs are no different than any other private part. You're either for public nudism or you're against public top-lessness in women. Think it's sexist? Take it up with nature. If men had an equivalent private area on their chest they would be "forced" to cover it too.
why should breasts be considered "private?" society made them sexual objects, no one has to view them as such.

Last edited:

RTHookers

Banned
Years
STUPID FEMALE DISCUSSION NEEDS MOAR MALES.

Ok, where do I start? 'Kay Yellow, START SPEAKING IN FRIENDLIER ENGLISH. I have to get a translator whenever I read one of your posts..
Above, BOOBS FTW. Hmmm, lemme see. Society never said it's a sexual item. Isn't it just used because when males have sex (talk about topless women walking the streets thread =/) they just get nasty (I mean, I HAVE SO MUCH DAMN PRESSURE ON ME). Anyway it's just males' sexual pressure while doing it I think.

@Thread should be closed imo. It's just a stupid flame war. Thread sounds like a criminal pub or something, murder and boobs.. XD

Just reminding ya we're on a Pokemon forum guys. (And girls)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
But still, I don't get it. What's the big deal, whether you're topless or not? I understand pedos and stuff, but it's not like they lurk in every corner.

What do pedos have anything to do with women being topless? Most pedos don't like breasts anyhow, and even if they did that's still irrelevant.....

And about the article or thing Jolene posted, it basically sounded to me like women should have equal rights, but they shouldn't because people will look down on them? lolwut?

To be honest I don't know why I'm even bothering with this subject as I don't really care either way, but if I were a women I would probably want the option to go topless on a hot summer day.

Also, women don't have to be looked down upon in all cases, though maybe this isn't the best example. Ukranian feminists recently protested some political thing by going topless in public, and it definitely caught more attention than a regular protest would have.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 6, 2015
The censorship is what makes it sexy. since a womans body is the most concealed and hidden. people get excited when its shown off

---

boobs =/= genitals ._.
genitals are for sex

Womens boobs. they're for babies to get milk. babies don't use them for sexual purposes. babies don't lose their innocence when exposed to breasts. they just wanna eat >:U

but apparently once children outgrow breastmilk
suddenly the breasts become naughty parts, harmful to their innocent minds.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
Also, all these arguments about how if women were topless in public more often people would become used to it and that's somehow a bad thing, it makes me think of something in the past.....

:O OMG that woman is showing her ankles!

Yeah that's how it used to be, don't you agree the more freedom with a lot of things is for the better?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years

Yeah that's how it used to be, don't you agree the more freedom with a lot of things is for the better?
Very good point you have there. Also, 'That woman is wearing pants! OMG why isn't she in a dress?'

Nearly every new idea has its opponents, but over time it still sinks in. This may just be one of those instances. =O

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
why should breasts be considered "private?" society made them sexual objects, no one has to view them as such.

They're already private. I think you need to be arguing as to why they shouldn't be. I for one would not tolerate someone interacting with me without a shirt. I'd shun them, without warning.

Why?

Taking off your shirt doesn't even necessarily cool you down. In fact? Your clothes protect you from the sun's harmful rays better than sunscreen.

Also, these comparisons are terribad. Who even brought up genitals? Or pants for that matter? Sounds like this argument is being fought with emotions rather than facts.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
Personally, I find it disgusting. Also, I'm sure none of you would want to see an old woman's breasts.

Woman's breast are sexually attractive to men (and lesbians as well) and I think it could possibly start something obscene in which those younger than 18 should not see.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
They're already private. I think you need to be arguing as to why they shouldn't be. I for one would not tolerate someone interacting with me without a shirt. I'd shun them, without warning.

i have been, and i've pointed out why i think they shouldn't be. i realize they're private, and i'm asking why they are.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Also, all these arguments about how if women were topless in public more often people would become used to it and that's somehow a bad thing, it makes me think of something in the past.....

The only problem is that rules like that still apply in modern society depending on your culture. Look at some of the Islamic cultures, for example. You'll also see the polar opposite in some African cultures.

Some of that is due to the fact that different societies consider different body parts to be over-sexualised. You might be able to walk around topless but you can't show anything above your knee.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
Honestly, why is it such a big deal? Why should you, or anyone else matter if someone wants to expose their body a bit more?
but apparently once children outgrow breastmilk
suddenly the breasts become naughty parts, harmful to their innocent minds.
Screw all that women's liberation bullcrap, it comes down to an issue of morality and whether or not society agrees that it is acceptable. For instance, I'm taking a class on Women in tribal societies for my Anthropology major, and right now we're studying women who go (for lack up a better term) topless in everyday life (such as those found in South American tribes). It was found that in all cases of tribes who have women who go topless all the time, the breasts were not even considered to be an object of sexual gratification.

In short, if you see them all the time, you won't find them attractive anymore. If we have one generation of kids who grow up with people going shirtless all the time, the males will simply find something else to be attracted to.

I agree with all the above. It really shouldn't matter to anyone whether someone else is nude or topless in public. The only reason it is "disturbing" or "innappropiate" or "embarrassing" is because of paranoia. :/ Unfortunately I am victim to this paranoia, because I wouldn't run around topless myself in any place other than my own home, or a bikini at the beach...

WHAT. THE.

MEN =/= WOMEN. STOP ARGUING. STOP IT! THERE IS NO BATHROOM.

...What? Bathroom? You completely lost me here. :cer_confused:

Years
Obscene?

Are all of you serious? That's like saying lesbians/gays are abominations.

I find that insulting, and besides, most of us were breast-feed, and no one considers that obscene.

Also, I think I should say this:

Anything taboo, people like. And don't tell me that I'm wrong. Gays were once a taboo, and now everyone(almost)likes them.

The point is, since breasts are now a taboo, everyone immediatly wants them, like the last piece of steak. Last time I checked, woman still go topless in third world countries, and there's no problem over there.

In fact, if woman were more inclined to go topless, we probably wouldn't see breasts as a taboo. Sure, some will prefer to still wear clothes, but overall I think there wouldn't be a problem in that scenario.

That's it folks, I'm out of here.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Obscene?

The thing is, people do consider lesbians/gays abominations. That isn't the issue here. I also don't see the connection between considering nudity to be obscene in public and lesbians/gays being considered obscene, but to each their own.

The point is, since breasts are now a taboo, everyone immediatly wants them, like the last piece of steak. Last time I checked, woman still go topless in third world countries, and there's no problem over there.
Like I said, different countries have different values. When something is considered okay in one country, that doesn't mean it should automatically be okay for the rest of the world. Some Chinese cultures considered normal-sized feet to be considered ugly while tiny feet were sexually desirable among men with a higher social status. As a result, millions of women had to go through foot binding over hundreds of years. I won't describe the process because it still makes my stomach turn even though I learned about it seven years ago. So, because they do it in China, does that mean it should be okay here?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Obscene?

I find that insulting, and besides, most of us were breast-feed, and no one considers that obscene.

Also, I think I should say this:

Anything taboo, people like. And don't tell me that I'm wrong. Gays were once a taboo, and now everyone(almost)likes them.

In fact, if woman were more inclined to go topless, we probably wouldn't see breasts as a taboo. Sure, some will prefer to still wear clothes, but overall I think there wouldn't be a problem in that scenario.

That's it folks, I'm out of here.

Thank you. You've managed to explain my points far better than I could. Now, cue the people claiming that even if no one minded it it would still be bad.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
because babies aren't even aware that they're ummm slobbering over a boob. They don't view it as a source of sexual stimulation or anything, just a food source.

@poopnoodle The hidden nature of boobs is one thing. But eh people still find a guys chest attractive and its legal for that to be exposed. Boobs will still continue to turn people on. (that's a good thing)

tbh I prefer them to wear a bra actually because I dont want to see your knockers sagging all over the place when you jog.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
@poopnoodle The hidden nature of boobs is one thing. But eh people still find a guys chest attractive and its legal for that to be exposed. Boobs will still continue to turn people on. (that's a good thing)

Well what about the African tribes and other topless cultures? They don't consider breasts to be at all sexual. A Victorian man would consider the view of a woman's upper arm sexual on the other hand.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
Years
Well what about the African tribes and other topless cultures? They don't consider breasts to be at all sexual. A Victorian man would consider the view of a woman's upper arm sexual on the other hand.

Well we all don't live in African tribes now do we.
The world doesn't have the same culture. It's all cultural.
I really can't believe this is a topic. :|

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Well we all don't live in African tribes now do we.
The world doesn't have the same culture. It's all cultural.
I really can't believe this is a topic. :|

his point is, those children grew up to see breasts as something that is a part of nature rather than a sexual object, thus children of all cultures should be able to if they're always exposed to the body in that way.

this is other chat. this is where we present our different views on certain topics. i cant believe a topic about something society would consider "risque" would take an other chat moderator by surprise.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
I think a lot of people here are assuming that everywhere they go, women are just gonna start appearing out of the wahoo without a shirt on. That is unlikely to be the case. I mean, I highly doubt you're going to see a topless woman shopping in Target or KMart. For men, there are places where it's fine to go without wearing a shirt, and it shouldn't be any different for women. But no matter what the persons gender is, if you're in, say, a restaurant, than of course she (or he) shouldn't be allowed to go topless.

This whole debate can be traced back to the gender roles society tries to shove down our throats. Women should be demure and clean and wear aprons as they're preparing their husbands dinner, correct? And as the men spends his days laboring he has the right to whisk his shirt off for a little reprieve.

Well, times have changed since then. But you can't always tell because there are still people who throw their snouts up at the stay-at-home dad and the wife who "wears the pants." Just as well, it seems most of society will never accept the fact that women don't have to be the modest, whale-corset wearing beings of society we once were. It's maddening, I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back