• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
This is being take way too seriously. I bet if it was ruled that women could walk about naked in public not one person on here would actually do it. I don't see why we can't get on with our culture as it is. Honestly, you're not missing out on much.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years

i have been, and i've pointed out why i think they shouldn't be. i realize they're private, and i'm asking why they are.

If you have then I apparently don't agree that the reasons are valid.

Due to a certain someone dropping a boatload of stress on me I'm going to have to withdraw from this, though...
lllplz.png

All I can say is that if people start walking around naked (Or half naked. It makes no difference to me.) in public I will start using it as a excuse not to leave my house. Ever. (inb4 "LIFELESS") And anyone who had the gall to brag about their new right would probably get smacked.

Also, this topic will probably be used by me in future debates to show how messed up things get when you pretend men and women are equal.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
Years
Well we all don't live in African tribes now do we.
The world doesn't have the same culture. It's all cultural.
I really can't believe this is a topic. :|

lol i agree.

i also agree with PkMnTrainer Yellow and Jolene's views.

i havent read every single post, but...

@ the idea that it's okay for women to be topless in Africa & how that relates to this topic:
it's okay there because it's not rare. even if it were legal in [wherever you live], it'd still be quite rare. because it'd be a rare thing, people would not become used to it and start accepting it easily

anyway, i don't see why girls would wanna go topless. if i was extremely hot, i'd rather keep on a bra or a bikini top anyway.
also, even if it were legal, seeing a girl walk around topless would still result in some indecent (for lack of better words) reactions, and you can't change that.

and it's not like breasts are gonna stop being sexual objects anytime soon

basically, legalizing this would probably result in stronger negative reactions than positive ones

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
So PkMnTrainer Yellow is contending men and women shouldn't be equal?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the term "equality" and "equal rights" and such, by treating two groups differently.

TFKitFG

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 9, 2010
And what do you think us women do when we see a topless man who is good looking with an appealing body? We objectify him.

Plenty of women oogle at an attractive man who is out jogging topless I see this regularly.

It's natural instinct for men to be attracted to the female body as well as it is for women to be attracted to the male body.

yes indeed, that same woman was probably planning to rape the man as well, huh? I agree with everything Jolene's posted so far.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
yes indeed, that same woman was probably planning to rape the man as well, huh? I agree with everything Jolene's posted so far.
That's a seriously extreme assumption. The majority of men don't see a topless woman and automatically think "man I really want to rape her." I'm pretty sure the first thing that would go through their mind would be "ooohhhh boobies."

@ the idea that it's okay for women to be topless in Africa & how that relates to this topic:
it's okay there because it's not rare. even if it were legal in [wherever you live], it'd still be quite rare. because it'd be a rare thing, people would not become used to it and start accepting it easily

...and the whole reason why it isn't rare is because it's a part of their culture. We can go all the way back to pre-colonization and assume that the first inhabitants included a bunch of topless women and decided to just keep it that way, but you can say that for everybody, religious or not. Some of the aforementioned African cultures include women that wear a large collection of beaded necklaces rather than a full-fledged shirt, while others have clothing that purposely leaves the breasts exposed.
Also, for the record, the men in the same cultures are frequently nude as well.

Dawn

Years
So PkMnTrainer Yellow is contending men and women shouldn't be equal?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the term "equality" and "equal rights" and such, by treating two groups differently.

No. Equal Rights =/= Equality

Do not want Equality. Thank you very much. Women =/= Men and never should. That would be ignorant of the fact that the two genders are different and deserve to be treated as such. Notice this is not sexist, because no superior gender is stated, only different genders. This is realistic.

Last edited:

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
Years
Well if people want to go topless....let them go topless ._. Its pantless that's got me worried. Oh wait some males are already freely showing their boxers

Seriously though, it's all a matter of opinion. I, myself, wouldn't go outside topless. Self-consciousness to the max on my breasts even if they were made for breastfeeding babies. :<

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
Years
No. Equal Rights =/= Equality

Do not want Equality. Thank you very much. Women =/= Men and never should. That would be ignorant of the fact that the two genders are different and deserve to be treated as such. Notice this is not sexist, because no superior gender is stated, only different genders. This is realistic.
The question is should women have the right to be topless. This is about equal rights.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I would like to point out again that stranger rapes are rare. The wide majority of rapes are commited by someone the victim knows personally.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I always found it strange why a man can go topless in public but a woman cannot.

I remember being told it is because a female's topless body is sexually attractive to men and society wants to mitigate this in public so children and such aren't offended.

Well woman can also be sexually attracted to a man's topless body so that logic seems moot to me.
Which is why I don't follow such logic.

My rule is, if there's some sort of undergarment available for the body part and widely accepted/used (so, I wouldn't count undershirts here) then it stays covered. XD

That's for literally topless however. I don't really have a problem if you want to walk down the street in a bikini top. Because that's kinda like a bra, but better looking for... public use? Kinda like how shorts and swim trunks are better for public use than boxers. Same shape

Dawn

Years
The question is should women have the right to be topless. This is about equal rights.

I believe pointing out a post you think is off topic is off topic as well, unless you're a moderator. /wink I personally felt that was relevant enough.

I don't think I or anyone else should have to view someone's nude upper body in public. It's not harmless, and does very little to help anyone do anything.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
Its a taboo in America and completly unexceptable by society :/. If America was like parts of Africa were breasts weren't considered a major sexual part of a female and thus allowed to walk around topless than that would be perfectly acceptable. However, we are not like that and it provokes sexual intent. A male can walk around shirtless because we don't have these things dangling from our chests, except man boobs Dx, so it acceptable by society.

What I'm saying is, breasts are considered a sexual part of the female body in America while elsewhere not so much.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I believe pointing out a post you think is off topic is off topic as well, unless you're a moderator. /wink I personally felt that was relevant enough.

I don't think I or anyone else should have to view someone's nude upper body in public. It's not harmless, and does very little to help anyone do anything.

I agree but the same should go for men. I would be uneasy around a man as well. Either because I was getting aroused in public or his body was gross.

Years
*sighs*

Damn you, opinions...

Fine, if all of you think that breasts should be covered up or not, fine. I'm sick of this argument, fighting all of you like a chicken with it's head cut off.

My final opinion:

If woman want to, do it. If they don't, whatever. In the end, their body, their choice. Peace.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
Years
Ehhh to be honest I wouldn't want to go around topless, its been unaccepted for so long that if we started doing it now it'd just feel weird.

But if we'd been doing it for year and years then everyone wouldn't think anything of it.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
Years
...and the whole reason why it isn't rare is because it's a part of their culture. We can go all the way back to pre-colonization and assume that the first inhabitants included a bunch of topless women and decided to just keep it that way, but you can say that for everybody, religious or not. Some of the aforementioned African cultures include women that wear a large collection of beaded necklaces rather than a full-fledged shirt, while others have clothing that purposely leaves the breasts exposed.
Also, for the record, the men in the same cultures are frequently nude as well.

i'm not sure what you're getting at xD but...
it does show that it's a part of African culture, but it's not a part of American culture. therefore, it'd be hard for it to catch on here

Years
I'm saddened by the number of responses that include some variation of "I wouldn't go topless so others shouldn't either." I would like to see someone show evidence that our western societies would be harmed if a couple of women started going topless. Because, really, if it doesn't harm anyone then no one has the right to tell you you can't do it. Period. Full stop.

I mean, take me for example. I've read a biology book. I've read a human sexuality book. I've been to beaches. I've been in co-ed bathrooms in college. I've sat in on a few figure drawing classes. I've been in public baths. I've even seen a crowd of several hundred unclothed people jogging in the rain. All that goes beyond mere toplessness so by some arguments I should have started really looking down on people and getting all hot and bothered whenever I saw these things. I didn't. I don't. It's not a big deal for me. Once upon a time it was, but I changed and realized it was silly to get weirded out by it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2010
well, i think women should be allowed to go topless, i mean, if a woman wants to go out topless why stop her? she thinks she has that very beautiful god-given gift and wants to show it to the world, why stop her. However, of course, not every woman needs to be topless on the street. I mean, whoever wants to do it can do it, but those that do not want to do it, then don't. freedom of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back