• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would your family approve

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
  • My dad knows about it and frankly doesn't care at all what I do online. Back when I was 13, 14 , 15 , or 16, he'd be concerned about who I was talking to online and the amount of personal information I was sharing. Because back then he obviously was worried of me be assaulted or kidnapped or such. But now that he knows I'm more responsible and trust that who I'm talking to are safe, friendly people, he isn't as concerned about it. I think that back when I was 13, 14 or 15 (2005, 2006, 2007) meeting people on the Internet was considered taboo because not a lot of people did it and many of the cases where people did met up, end up in something tragic. But now it has become more acceptable to meet up with someone you met online and many times people have also formed real life relationships through the Internet.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • As a grown adult who lives on her own turf, I think the answer would be a very swift "I'm sure they don't care".

Back when I was younger though, they were militant about me not being on the internet. For some reason they thought I wasn't mature enough to use it or something, and had very hyperbolic views on the consequences of my internet use. Because of this, I often sneaked on the internet in my teenage years. I was really smart about it, too. I even joined PC during that time.

Years
  • Given what my Dad gets off to on the internet (I did not want to find this out, for the record), I don't think he's in a position to judge. As for the mother, she's probably up to no good online either.

I'm practically a saint, me.

Wait, what the Hell does your father get off to on the internet? You've sparked my interest now!

When I was 13 they cared a lot. My Mother was one of those "THE INTERNET'S A DANGEROUS PLACE, FULL OF WITCHCRAFT AND DARK CULTS!" type of people. She got used to it though, especially when I told her that my writing had become extremely popular on the internet (ah, those were the days, when people actually read my writing). However, that all changed when the fire nation attacked when I told her that I had been meeting up with Luck Hax (George) from these forums (of course, this was when I met him on a different forum). She did meet him eventually and found that there was nothing to worry about. I now meet up with people from online regularly and she's cool with it.

Reactions: £

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My folks have a general idea that I've invested thousands of hours into PC. They ought to be satisfied that I found somewhere to settle around rather than bother them.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    they dont care about my internet/online life. I mean, yeah, they would rather want me to go to places and hang out with people, but they don't mind my online life what-so-ever.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Wait, what the Hell does your father get off to on the internet? You've sparked my interest now!

When I was 13 they cared a lot. My Mother was one of those "THE INTERNET'S A DANGEROUS PLACE, FULL OF WITCHCRAFT AND DARK CULTS!" type of people. She got used to it though, especially when I told her that my writing had become extremely popular on the internet (ah, those were the days, when people actually read my writing). However, that all changed when the fire nation attacked when I told her that I had been meeting up with Luck Hax (George) from these forums (of course, this was when I met him on a different forum). She did meet him eventually and found that there was nothing to worry about. I now meet up with people from online regularly and she's cool with it.

It's probably not the wisest of topics here. I'll tell you later - thought you knew though. Ask Jess if you get impatient. 8D

Just 3 weeks until my trip to visit you and watch your play, eh?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • That's a good question. My family knows I do rom hacking and stuff, I don't think they really know about PC specifically though. I don't think they'd care though since they all know I'm still really into Pokemon. :3

Years
  • That's a good question. My family knows I do rom hacking and stuff, I don't think they really know about PC specifically though. I don't think they'd care though since they all know I'm still really into Pokemon. :3

It makes me wonder whether parents would care about it because you're 19 as well. Same goes for anybody above 18.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • They don't care, as long as I get all of my stuff done that needs to be done they really don't care what I do with my life so llong as it doesn't make problems for them.

Years
  • Parents used to constantly remind me not to talk to strangers online or give out personal information, but they don't bother with that anymore since the internet is an essential part of my life these days. In regards to PC, they definitely wouldn't mind because I'm not doing anything dangerous or that could potentially be harmful privacy-wise. Although my recent Skype conversations could be questionable, and could get me in trouble :c But nobody has to know about those!

Seeker.

Brilliant
    Years
  • My parents don't really care. I don't do anything that could jeopardize anyone's safety or anything like that. Nothing I do would really cause any sort of trouble for me or anyone else, so it's all good with them.

Years
  • I'm pretty sure they don't even care about my offline life at this point, why would they even care about my online life?

I've been an internet addict since my teens. Been on PC that long. Doubt they ever cared, let alone still care when I've been moved out almost 5 years now.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Are my parents the only ones who wouldn't approve? I'm almost 18 and they STILL say to me that people on the internet are always lying about themselves. If they knew I went here they would probably try to find out what I've been posting. They like to know things >.>

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Are my parents the only ones who wouldn't approve? I'm almost 18 and they STILL say to me that people on the internet are always lying about themselves. If they knew I went here they would probably try to find out what I've been posting. They like to know things >.>

My mum was like this right up until I was 19. She would still be that way if I didn't manage to prove her wrong with lots of online meet-ups.

You can't entirely blame them, the media spends a lot of time fear-mongering people into thinking there's a pedophile lurking around every corner.

Years
  • Pretty sure at one point (I'm talking like 10+ years ago), my parents would not have approved. They were the kind to be paranoid about online things, and I even got a huge rant from my mom one time about how "you think you're talking to real people, but you're not, you're just talking to computers." Heh.

By now....they know I do stuff online. They know I talk to people over the internet. They don't care. And they also know I like Pokemon, so if I were to tell them of my presence on PC, I might get a weird look at most, but they still wouldn't care much.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • If this is including stuff like Facebook, probably not. My parents think I'm an angel... which, for those who have known me well enough, probably isn't the best word to use. I think PC, solely, though, would be just fine by them. They're probably thinking it's a little kids site, though, cause, well, Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Well I think it's safe to say any mother never loves knowing their children watch inappropriate things sometimes, but I just need to be open about it. Pokemon is bomb.

Back