• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spambot PMs - A Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • Recently it seems we've had a huge wave of spambots that are going down the member list and sending PMs with links to malware. Here's an example of the latest one I personally received:

shaaron789 said:
    Hello, my friend. I found report about your computer's security at:Link deleted for safety.Please, take this into account. Best regards, Forum Member )
    Just a reminder that if you get any PMs similar to this, first off, do NOT click the link. Secondly, please let any online higher staff member know so that we can ban the account sending the spam PMs.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Yeah, it seems all VB forums are being hit hard... Another forum I reg at has the same problem... They're using the nospam! plugin among other things.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    The best thing you could do is just keeping banning emails, IP's and adding measures to stop them.

A lot of spammers are using the gmail email system nowadays.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I got all sorts of that on Gmail . I never actually received a SPAM on PC , as I hope I won't !

Keep fighting spammers ! I will do my best by reporting as well !!! :)

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Oy vey, here too? The last forum I was at had this problem too (and seemed to be not be as vigilant on stopping it as y'all are).

Anyway, I haven't gotten any PMs of the sort, but if I do, you'll be hearing from me. *fist shake like a crabby ol' man* Dang whippersnappers, get outta m' PM inbox!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is awful. D:

I hope the situation will get better soon. (I don't see how things will get better, really.)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I havn't gotten any PMs yet, and I'll report it if I get any.

The link that was given, do you know where it leads exactly? Don't click it, because it might lead to a virus or something, but if you can find out what it is, that would be helpful.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye of those spam bot PMs. That is an awful thing they are doing. I hope they will stop.

Years
  • Is it one specific domain that the malware is hosted on? Because you could create a script of some sort to filter out any mail with that address. It would tell the poster that it has been sent, and send an alert to an Admin. That way, they have no idea what's happening, but no-one gets the email, plus you get a heads-up. Just an idea.

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • if it happens i will report it to an admin but would you find the users profile and ban the ip address? =/

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    IP address banning is only good if they are proxies... Otherwise it is that burn method which then leads to banning innocent people (especially like those with AOL, but seriously who uses that anyway).

If someone got banned on a library computer, it means no one at that library would be able to go to PC then.

In that way, email and account banning work best. Then they just set limits like on being able to post links after a certain amount of posts.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • This occurred at a forum I help run. It really sucks that this crap has come here as well.
    We are in a new age of spam, in that spam is now a means for hacking.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Hey guys, when you ban the users, why not delete all the PMs they've sent out? It's an option in the Edit Users part of the AdminCP.

(I just got one myself...)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Never got any PM like that as yet. Will look out for it in the future, though. Anyways, thanks for warning us about it, FN. ;3

Poké!

And as the world ends...
    Years
  • I have not noticed this happening anywhere. Not Even on Gmail. Actually... My Yahoo gets a lot of Spam, but that's because I messed up.

Anyway, Thanks for the Warning, although, by reading what the message says, it's obviously Spam with a link to Malware. I'll know if I get a PM of that sort.

Bad Juju. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back