• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Why Alpha and Omega?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
There could be a certain meaning behind it, but if I'm gonna be honest, I think they might just be spewing out ideas for titles at this point. I remember everyone was speculating about how X and Y might've been related to chromosomes in some way, or something about perspective with the x- and y-axis, but in the end, the titles had nothing to do with the games. There wasn't really any significance to the names of Heartgold and Soulsilver either. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about some specific meaning behind the names, at least not anything related to the actual storyline of the game.

Yeah, I think this might be the case too. I mean, it works tho. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire do sound pretty cool. :o

I mean it would be pretty cool if they could relate it to the story, but I don't know how they would do it.

How soon people forget that Hoenn was all about beginnings and endings, Alpha and Omega.

You have the Cave of Origin, where in myth is where all life starts, and you have Mt. Pyre where in myth all life ends. Hoenn itself is shaped like Yin and Yang symbol, and balance (whether through land and sea or life and death) was the main theme of the 3rd gen games.

Speculation ends here. You guys gotta remember your 3rd gen storylines! :P

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Mt Pyre and Cave of Origin spam! I can see why Omega Alpha Delta airspace can get people hyped. I think they were surprised not many noticed it in the original games, so they named the new ones after it. Besides, Team Aqua and team magma are trying to wrest control of sea and land even still! It's only right that their symbols get recognition. But then, both the Pokémon seem to be used for destructive purposes but in the goal of creating something. So it kind of makes sense.

I don't know what name they would give for a (hypothetical) Emerald remake, though...

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
How soon people forget that Hoenn was all about beginnings and endings, Alpha and Omega.

You have the Cave of Origin, where in myth is where all life starts, and you have Mt. Pyre where in myth all life ends. Hoenn itself is shaped like Yin and Yang symbol, and balance (whether through land and sea or life and death) was the main theme of the 3rd gen games.

Speculation ends here. You guys gotta remember your 3rd gen storylines! :P

Exactly. I wonder if those places will play a larger role than they did in the originals (and they did play a large role already, at least the Cave of Origin in RS did).

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
Mt Pyre and Cave of Origin spam! I can see why Omega Alpha Delta airspace can get people hyped. I think they were surprised not many noticed it in the original games, so they named the new ones after it. Besides, Team Aqua and team magma are trying to wrest control of sea and land even still! It's only right that their symbols get recognition. But then, both the Pokémon seem to be used for destructive purposes but in the goal of creating something. So it kind of makes sense.

I don't know what name they would give for a (hypothetical) Emerald remake, though...

I doubt we get a Emerald remake considering we didn't get Yellow or Crystal remake... but this remake SHOULD have element of Emerald like HG/SS ( e.g Battle Frontier for one... they SHOULD have one!... I miss them...

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
I think it made sense that it was Alpha and Omega since the two things contrast each other.

Like land and sea, Team Aqua and Magma, the obvious Cave of Origin and Mt. Pyre, and so much more.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
Years
X and Y had nothing to do with anything (aside from the legendarys' shapes, been even then, which came first, the chicken or the egg?) so I assume the same here. Slap Omega on Groudon and Alpha on Kyogre and "hey, it sounds fricken awesome and its relevant.... enough." Right?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Or this could coincide with this Generations letter naming since Alpha and Omega are Greek letters. Also I think it could be based on how life came about. The Alpha(First) of life came from the sea(Sapphire) and life began to evolve until it reached the Omega(Last) of terrain evolution when life finally came to Land(Omega).

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
To the peeps saying X and Y, as titles, had no relation to the games, therefore Omega and Aqua probably have no meaning for the remakes, I disagree. X and Y represent the axes of the coordinate plane, thus hinting at the revolutionary character of Gen 6: 3D graphics. X and Y may not tie into the storyline, but it is inaccurate to say those titles have no bearing on or relation to the games. Consequently, I think we can expect that Omega and Aqua disclose some meaning regarding the remakes. Exactly what that meaning is, however, is open to speculation at this point.

Years
Or this could coincide with this Generations letter naming since Alpha and Omega are Greek letters. Also I think it could be based on how life came about. The Alpha(First) of life came from the sea(Sapphire) and life began to evolve until it reached the Omega(Last) of terrain evolution when life finally came to Land(Omega).

I would think that it should've been OmegaEmerald if one is talking about evolution as evolution to sky came later (as far as we know thus far). I think it has to do with the Creation (Origin Cave) which is Alpha, and Destruction/Death (Mt. Pyre) which is Omega. Plus note that Mt. Pyre is a land pass surrouded by water which is in turn surrounded by land while Sootopolis is an island with water in the center surrounded by land which is surrounded by water.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
Years
I actually think they look pretty similar xD

Actually, I just assumed they picked Alpha & Omega because it sounded good. I would've preferred MagmaRuby and AquaSapphire if I was in charge, however.

Years
Also one should note that Sootopolis' design is based off of Santorini, which is a greek town so greek letters make sense. Plus they look like the signs of the evil teams.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
Maybe it's alluding to some story line that makes Groudon and Kyogre above Arceus (In terms of creation power)??? x)

Years
Maybe it's alluding to some story line that makes Groudon and Kyogre above Arceus (In terms of creation power)??? x)

Well in the story of the Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz they have existed since the world was created, and will be destroyed during the end of times, so that could also be it. They appeared during Alpha and will die during Omega.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
Well in the story of the Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz they have existed since the world was created, and will be destroyed during the end of times, so that could also be it. They appeared during Alpha and will die during Omega.
So it can be something with Kyogre being the beginning and Groudon being the end? Lets say this is true, then what could Rayquaza be?

Years
Why is everyone so into it? Clearly its form changes. I'm not sure why people are talking about origins and mt pyre(Beginning and end yes I get it, maybe Yvetal and Xerneas will be found in there some how?) anyways remembers? They created Hoenn and when they fought they were gonna destroy it. Maybe this is.why it's called Alpha and Omega(Groundon and Kyogre fought)

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Alpha is the FIRST letter in the Greek alphabet. Omega is the LAST letter in the Greek alphabet.

Alpha: beginning
Omega: ending

OmegaRuby comes before Alpha Sapphire in the teaser and box order.

Fire= end/destruction
Water= new beginning/life

I can't continue from there becaus they have to be version exclusive.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The legendary pokémon of Hoenn are all based on Hebrew mythology (Kyogre = the Leviathan, Groudon = the Behemoth, Rayquaza = the Sziz, and the Regi trio being based on guardian golems), so it may play into that motif, with the Abrahamic God referring to Himself as "The Alpha and the OMega" in the Bible's Old Testament.

This seemed so incredibly clear to me; maybe it's because I've been raised on the knowledge of Christian mythology but the Wikipedia page "Alpha and Omega" is literally about the Christian God. The connection that Groudon and Kyogre have to the creation of Hoenn only furthers that, as the point of that statement in the Bible is that God created everything and will be there are the end of everything.

Anyway, anyone with a passing knowledge of Christianity should really make an immediate connection in my opinion.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
This seemed so incredibly clear to me; maybe it's because I've been raised on the knowledge of Christian mythology but the Wikipedia page "Alpha and Omega" is literally about the Christian God. The connection that Groudon and Kyogre have to the creation of Hoenn only furthers that, as the point of that statement in the Bible is that God created everything and will be there are the end of everything.

Anyway, anyone with a passing knowledge of Christianity should really make an immediate connection in my opinion.

Although I'm a Christian, and as much as I would love pokemon to have a hint at Christianity (as long as it was biblically correct). The movie Noah was terrible in that regard.

Back on topic, I think if it was about Christianity and such, it would tick a lot of people off. It's a liberal world; most people wouldn't like it. Sales would defenitly go down. It is sad that this would happen.

Back