• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Why Alpha and Omega?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Although I'm a Christian, and as much as I would love pokemon to have a hint at Christianity (as long as it was biblically correct). The movie Noah was terrible in that regard.

Back on topic, I think if it was about Christianity and such, it would tick a lot of people off. It's a liberal world; most people wouldn't like it. Sales would defenitly go down. It is sad that this would happen.

I don't think the game will be about Christianity; they've made it clear that the names aren't a big part of the games. But I think the reference to Alpha/Omega with the Pokemon that created and could destroy Hoenn is far from accidental.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I don't think the game will be about Christianity; they've made it clear that the names aren't a big part of the games. But I think the reference to Alpha/Omega with the Pokemon that created and could destroy Hoenn is far from accidental.

You might actually be on to something. In the book of Genesis (meaning beginning), there was the flood that covered the whole earth. I don't know much about Kyogre, but that might have something to do with it. The flood was the end, but the start of a new era. Alpha and Omega.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This seemed so incredibly clear to me; maybe it's because I've been raised on the knowledge of Christian mythology but the Wikipedia page "Alpha and Omega" is literally about the Christian God. The connection that Groudon and Kyogre have to the creation of Hoenn only furthers that, as the point of that statement in the Bible is that God created everything and will be there are the end of everything.

Anyway, anyone with a passing knowledge of Christianity should really make an immediate connection in my opinion.

I think the term is also used in the translation of the Jewish bible plus the weather trio are jewish beasts.

I think Rayquaza will be ChiEmerald if he had a version as Chi is associated with Christ and the symbol also represents the keys to heavens (Sky).

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Alpha is the beginning, and life began in the sea. There are likely other reasons in addition, but that is mainly what I think to be their reasoning behind the titles.

As for Alpha and Omega looking like the Aqua and Magma logos...obviously it's not a perfect match, but wow! The first time I saw that I couldn't believe it. Maybe they will get their logos updated to be more similar to Alpha and Omega (or change their name, as unlikely as that is)? Sometimes it really feels like Game Freak planned out every game back in gen 1!

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I don't think the game will be about Christianity; they've made it clear that the names aren't a big part of the games. But I think the reference to Alpha/Omega with the Pokemon that created and could destroy Hoenn is far from accidental.

I dunno. Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet; pretty sure they might've just considered that when coming up with the names rather than hunting for any particularly Christian reference. This link is brought up merely because of the letters' ordering.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I personally think they're just names that sounded awesome. I mean Alpha and Omega? That's bloody awesome sauce. X/Y didn't really have anything to do with the games. Neither did HG/SS, or D/P. Black and White kind of did..but that was because the plot's that deep.

Years
  • Actually X and Y did, they were the shape of the legends. Also Diamond and Pearl irc means tough as a diamond yet gentle as a pearl (or maybe that was in Special only and not in the games...can't recall). Heart and Soul were also referenced in the Johto remakes, especially the 'Heart of Gold' saying.

GF likes to make the titles meaning full, even if it's only symbolic.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I guess you could interpret them like that...But that's still kind of vague. I mean, if the supposed new 'formes' were called something like Omega Groudon and Alpha Kyogre, then it would make more sense.

Years
  • The theme could also be that the end can be a beginning, and a beginning an end. Sounds Taoist but than again the region is shaped like a giant Yin-Yang sign (with Rayquaza being Wuji).

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
  • People here have very good points, visually and story-line wise. All I know is that I'm super excited for this game!! ^^

Would they make an Emerald remake though? I don't really see that happening since there wasn't a new villain introduced in Emerald therefore no inspiration for a Greek letter. Time to examine Rayquaza! :D

Years
  • People here have very good points, visually and story-line wise. All I know is that I'm super excited for this game!! ^^

Would they make an Emerald remake though? I don't really see that happening since there wasn't a new villain introduced in Emerald therefore no inspiration for a Greek letter. Time to examine Rayquaza! :D

It could be Theta (as the yellow circles could turn into them), Psi (it has a Y on it's chest), Chi (it's head is a giant X), Zeta (it's body is Z shaped xD).

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    It could be Theta (as the yellow circles could turn into them), Psi (it has a Y on it's chest), Chi (it's head is a giant X), Zeta (it's body is Z shaped xD).

Yeah, there are so many possibilities. It could even be a combination of Alpha and Omega (meaning both of them together in the markings thing).

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • This might be a stretch (or biblical bias), but I was thinking alpha could allude to how the world originally ended with rain (the whole noah's ark era), and the final end to the world will be by fire (earthquakes and molten rock can do that).

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
  • This is gonna be a very long response from me! I love researching and reporting! Hah.

Perhaps the most obvious connection, as many have already stated, is the similarity between Team Aqua's and Team Magma's symbols to the Greek letters alpha and omega, respectively.

Here's something I found on Wikipedia: "The Ancient Greek philosopher, Empedocles, held that water is one of the four classical elements along with fire, earth and air, and was regarded as the ylem, or basic substance of the universe."

Water is represented by Kyogre, Earth and/or Fire is represented by Groudon, and Air is represented by Rayquaza.

Water is considered a purifier—a symbol of birth and life. It is vital to all life. All living things are made up of mostly water. Many ancient Greeks, and those of other cultures [and religions] for that matter, believed that the Earth emerged—and thus was born—from water.

There isn't much information about Earth, but again from Wikipedia: "Aristotle, (384–322 BCE), believed earth was the heaviest element, and his theory of natural place suggested that any earth–laden substances, would fall quickly, straight down, toward the center of the cosmos."
    Perhaps "straight down" can be interpreted as "down there" (the Underworld), thus indicating the end?

Aristotle also believed that the classical Greek elements had certain qualities: Moist, Warm, Dry, and Cool. Some Greeks called this the Organic Cycle. The first phase of growth is Moist: spring rains, pliant green shoots, rapid growth. The second phase is Warm: summer sun, flourishing individuality, mature vigor. The third is Dry: autumn leaves, inflexible stems, stiffening joints. The fourth is Cool: winter chills, loss of identity, death. Considering this, Aristotle determined that earth was somewhat Dry but predominantly Cool; water was somewhat Cool but predominantly Moist. Notice the connection. Earth has the qualities of death—or end; water has the qualities of life—or beginning.

tl;dr their names may be connected to Greek philosophy, or I could have wasted 30 minutes of my life for nothing. LOL.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm not sure why Alpha, but the reason for Omega can be summed up in two words:

Oldsmobile Omega.

74olds33764-1.jpg

Bear with me here, this needs some explaining. It is of my opinion that Game Freak is fascinated with General Motors' 1970's compacts. These cars included the Chevrolet Nova, Oldsmobile Omega, Pontiac Ventura (and later Phoenix), and Buick Apollo (and later Skylark), and were referred to collectively as the "X-Bodies" or "X-Cars." Note that I'm referring to the 1970's rear-drive X-Body cars here, and not the 1980's front wheel drive ones (Omega, Phoenix and Skylark were carried over, but Nova was replaced with the Citation).

The Pokemon/GM connection:

The region in the 5th gen games was called uNOVA (Chevrolet Nova)
    One of the current games is called Pokemon X (X-Body/X-Cars)
    The upcoming Ruby remake is OMEGA Ruby (Oldsmobile Omega)

Alpha? I don't know why. Would've made more sense going with "Ventura" or "Apollo."

Last edited:
    Years
  • Going out on a limb here and saying that the 'Alpha' and 'Omega' parts to the names were added for the same reason that 'Leaf' and 'Fire' were added to the Kanto remakes. Their mascots, and not much else. Groudon and Kyogre were the main Pokemon of Team Magma and Aqua, respectively, whose symbols, as were already mentioned earlier in the thread, resemble the actual symbols for alpha and omega. You can also attribute the reasoning to 'heart' and 'soul' with Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Back