• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    All I know of Tidus is that in Kingdom Hearts he wants to see my "stuff"

Well, this scene isn't in Kingdom Hearts.

Also, Tidus is really whiny and doesn't take anything seriously.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • You guys are not helping my temptation to start playing the HD version of that game. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while and I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Must resist. Too much else to play first. @_@

Sir Codin

I find it amazing that Final Fantasy is still around despite every main game in the series for the past 18 or so years now being a big disappointment.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I find it amazing that Final Fantasy is still around despite every main game in the series for the past 18 or so years now being a big disappointment.
    Disappointments compared to what? I really feel like FF fans set themselves up for disappointment because they expect the games to be the best RPGs ever upon release (or close), and I honestly don't see why. Trying new things is also a faux pas, as the standard turn-based battle system is the only way to go let the game be stoned.

But really, I can't name a single Final Fantasy game that I felt breached the top 5 RPGs ever made. Maybe it's because I haven't played FFVI or something, and the games are rather quality and good, but I can't name one that I absolutely couldn't stop playing (save for Lightning Returns, which I lost nights over, and the doomed to be overrated-and-as-a-result-underrated Final Fantasy VII for reasons). They're good games, indeed, but I do partially think that a lot of the popularity comes from overlooking faults and the name "Final Fantasy", which appears to be an official seal of quality.

Sir Codin

Purchase it on the Wii virtual console (it's marketed on there as Final Fantasy III). Or if you have something that uses iOS, it can be purchased on the App Store.

Not big on JRPG's in general though. Too much grinding often too linear, and often you can't even role-play.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Don't get the iOS or Android versions. They basically ruined the game by making it look like it was made in RPG maker. Go for the Virtual Console version if anything lol. Or get the PS1 version.

Oh wow really? I just saw it on the iPod app store one day and I was like "oh wow they have that on there"

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • If I could mail you my copy of 6 to play on a SNES without having to worry about it being damaged in the mail, I would. 6 is actually really good. It's on tons of top game lists on all sorts of sites, and you'd be missing out if you didn't play it.

Purchase it on the Wii virtual console (it's marketed on there as Final Fantasy III). Or if you have something that uses iOS, it can be purchased on the App Store.

Well...alright, here's the thing, I have played through some of it. I'd seen it on so many lists that I started it a number of times, even going so far as to buy it on PS1 a 4, 5 years ago. Ironically, though, no matter how many times I start it, I can't get into it. I've started it on the GBA, PS1, and even the VC (if I recall), but ironically the only FF I've gotten less far in than it is Final Fantasy II (and III, if I recall). I'd imagine it's genre fatigue, as in terms of gameplay, at the beginning, FFVI is pretty standard TBRPG. I may be able to get into it one day but...it's a struggle.

Not big on JRPG's in general though. Too much grinding often too linear, and often you can't even role-play.
    That's not really much of a thing, anymore. In the...up until, I'd say, the mid-late PS2 days that was prevalent, certainly, but the JRPG is far more diverse and varied now than it's ever been. Even more old-school RPGs are shying away from grinding or change it so that grinding is less of a...well, a grind, and is either actually fun (P4 is a good example of this, as a successor to the grind-heavy P3), is brief and rewarding (The Disgaea franchise has been dabbling in this, as of late, as well as the HDN franchise), or is completely nonexistent (Final Fantasy as of its latest non-MMO entry, Lightning Returns).

I'd say there's never been a more welcoming time to get into Japanese RPGs than right now. And I understand why you'd say that they're too linear, but...I dunno. Japanese RPGs, at least if we're talking about modern ones, are pretty non-linear. The World Ends With You, Lightning Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sengoku Basara, the Souls series/Bloodborne, and for a lesser known title, One-Way Heroics are good examples of this. All of these games- which, mind you, don't pride themselves on their non-linearity (well, possibly save for Xenoblade), are good cases of not only the variety of modern JRPGs, but also how linear they aren't. These games are interesting in that choice is very much prevalent. They don't present you with world-changing choices and, really, the only one to have multiple endings on there is Sengoku Basara, but they still stand to be fantastic models for what the player "can" do. None of these games will punish you for playing a certain way and it's rare that any two people's games will be the same for any of them (except maybe in the case of SB). They provide you with options and allow you to play how you want. In terms of choices in the way of morality, the Souls series is this, and it does it less so in the way of "Paragon/Renegade" and more in the way of action and visible outcome. SB has linear stages but a lot in the way of gameplay customization and so, so many endings and alternate events based on stage order. And, most of all, none of these games require grinding (if they did I'd have a much lower opinion of them).

And these aren't even the best examples. I'm not trying to make a case for them, really, but I hear people say things about JRPGs (a term I don't particularly like) that are really becoming less and less true based on models that aren't really representative of the genre anymore.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

The Souls series is definitely a fun series, but I consider it more of an action game than an RPG.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm more into these kinds of RPGs, though.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/CRPG
    That's understandable, and there's really not much that can be done there. Save for Wasteland. the original Dragon Age, and...The Witcher(?) and a few others, new CRPGs are pretty hard to find (though, really, modern WRPGs in general are pretty scarce). I wouldn't even say that Skyrim and Oblivion qualify (the Morrowind prior, certainly).

Shame, really. Nowhere in gaming can you find games as free, personal, and close to Tabletop Roleplaying as CRPGs. I always look at series like Ultima and NWN in awe because you weren't really restricted by anything, you could do what you wanted and there would be consequences, but it never felt as boxed in as with many modern games.

I'm just saying that JRPGs are wide, diverse, and don't really hold the same "Inconsequential Actions and Grind, Grind, Grind!" notion that they had back in the day, and that, as far as Western gamers are concerned, they've never been more inviting (in terms of design ideology, accessibility, and non-repetitive gameplay). They're not like CRPGs, but these days most RPGs (Western or otherwise) aren't, and I think that if you put JRPGs up to them as far as linearity or other facets are concerned, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. If you take them for what they are, though, I'd imagine you'd have a lot of fun, possibly.

Sir Codin

That's understandable, and there's really not much that can be done there. Save for Wasteland. the original Dragon Age, and...The Witcher(?) and a few others, new CRPGs are pretty hard to find (though, really, modern WRPGs in general are pretty scarce). I wouldn't even say that Skyrim and Oblivion qualify (the Morrowind prior, certainly).

Shame, really. Nowhere in gaming can you find games as free, personal, and close to Tabletop Roleplaying as CRPGs. I always look at series like Ultima and NWN in awe because you weren't really restricted by anything, you could do what you wanted and there would be consequences, but it never felt as boxed in as with many modern games.

I'm just saying that JRPGs are wide, diverse, and don't really hold the same "Inconsequential Actions and Grind, Grind, Grind!" notion that they had back in the day, and that, as far as Western gamers are concerned, they've never been more inviting (in terms of design ideology, accessibility, and non-repetitive gameplay). They're not like CRPGs, but these days most RPGs (Western or otherwise) aren't, and I think that if you put JRPGs up to them as far as linearity or other facets are concerned, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. If you take them for what they are, though, I'd imagine you'd have a lot of fun, possibly.
    You might enjoy Pillars of Eternity. It was literally made for fans of cRPGs, specifically Infinity Engine cRPGs (Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc.).

I don't know about the other examples you've listed, but Dark Souls is definitely avante-garde for a JRPG, but it's now also considered a cRPG series due to both games now being on PC (I have DS1 on PC, but DS2 on 360). 1d4chan also has an article on Dark Souls and it's pretty funny and accurate. It's short enough to quote:

1d4chan on Dark Souls said:
    Dark Souls is a game all about dying. Over and over and over and over. Except this time it has monstergirls.

Dark Souls is a third person RPG created by From Software and Namco Bandai Games. It is the spiritual successor of Demon's Souls (would have been sequel, but the developers lost the rights to the Demon Souls' name), and is considered by some of its playerbase to be one of the hardest games ever created, which is very wrong. Veteran players will tell you that the game is exceedingly fair, and you only die as a result of your own fuckups. Just be ready to fuckup again and again until you learn it.

It is popular in /v/-circles for its punishing gameplay. Imagine a fantasy tabletop game run by a Killer DM who wants to your character to die if you get the least bit sloppy with your Spot checks, don't optimize your build, and don't carefully study the rulebooks and monsters manuals before you even start playing. Oh, and other players in other groups will occasionally come to your table and roll some dice to kill you, often before you can even roll initiative, for some loot and lulz. That is pretty much the Dark Souls experience.

Has anyone here besides me actually beaten Dark Souls?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I've seen it around, and I plan to buy it, along with Divinity: Original Sin, sometime. Budget's tight, though, and there are a lot of games I plan to get this year (as soon as next week)...then there's E3 and possibly the Steam Sale. Ugh. Money.

Worse, I just bought Cubic Ninja so that I could use RegionFOUR, so now I can start importing games for my 3DS. I can already feel the whole in my pocket burning.

Sir Codin

Yeah, I know that feeling, fortunately I blew a bunch of money on so many cRPGs than I have time for. Here's my games on my desktop:

desktop05252015.jpg~original

And here's my Steam Library:

steaminstalled.jpg~original

steamnotinstalled1.jpg~original

Yes, I actually bought this piece of shit and yes, it's as bad as they say. John Romero really set himself up for getting knocked down a few pegs.

steamnotinstalled2.jpg~original

steamnotinstalled3_1.jpg~original

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Okay, I had a crazy thought today. What if the reason the US skipped the n3DS is because their small range n3DS is gonna be the n2DS, announced for America and Pal regions at E3 for winter 2015. 7Or maybe a bit layer because iirc they said no new hardware. Anyway, a n2DS would he excellent for me, I loved its form factor, and if it got slightly better plastics with full body faceplates I would be satisfied.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back