• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • It's weird - what happened recently that made him resign?

But of course it's not over. The organisation as a whole did vote him in again, and it doesn't mean his eventual successor (it'll be months before he officially isn't in charge!) will be any better. Still, potential is there. Here's hoping.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Weeaboo Name wanted me to tell this thread that they've enjoyed the time they got to spend with you all throughout the years.

that is all, you may resume your football now. :)

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • So, Barcelona won the Champions League to the surprise of no one. They're unbelievable.

Also pleased that Sunderland managed to stay up in the end. I was in a bar with friends watching the draw with Arsenal and the place went crazy at full time. They really need to learn from past mistakes and start laying some solid foundations to build the club up and take it forward; everything's in place if they can only start making the right signings. Hopefully the appointment of Advocaat can set those wheels in motion and they can completely avoid the relegation battle for the 2015-16 season.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Just starting to sink in now with the fixtures out in a weeks time... really really little fish in a massive pond
    XBYL852.png

SOOOO err can the season end before its begun {XD}

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    It would be great to see Arsenal finish first and Leicester so high, but I'm not a fan of anything that doesn't have Southampton in the top ten.

srinator

I hope united can bring it back this season but mainly that lvg doesn't get more players who do little other than compete for their spot :|

Years
  • I think I've finally recovered enough to talk about football on a regular basis again.

Weeaboo Name wanted me to tell this thread that they've enjoyed the time they got to spend with you all throughout the years.

that is all, you may resume your football now. :)

If you can, tell WN that I reciprocate the sentiment, it has been fun to chat in this thread for so long. I assume it's now a perm ban which is a big shame.

I hope united can bring it back this season but mainly that lvg doesn't get more players who do little other than compete for their spot :|

I think United can go into this season with reasonable comfort as they shouldn't be finishing out of the top four anytime soon. I feel like City and Chelsea will still be too strong for them regardless of United's signings though.

There was a reasonably interesting BBC article about some players who came from out of Europe and used Faroe Islands as an in road to European football before settling there. Decent read if you can find it, but I'm not sure how long ago it was.

srinator

chelsea actually as a ridiculously strong rooster, city tho :/ i dot really see them as a threat rn, but if they regain form, :/

Years
  • I think they also will have a strong roster. Toure, Silva & Aguero are undoubtedly three of the best players in the league. I think Kompany will have a better season and Mangala will probably adapt to the league. Perhaps in some positions they need to trim some fat and bring in a few new players, but with their money I have no doubt they will do that.

That said I think they can find better value than Raheem Sterling to fill in their relatively weak right wing spot.

Years
  • For anybody who's interested, here are the results of the Europa League first qualifying round:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/matches/round=2000654/index.html

Kairat (KAZ) - Red Star Belgrade (SRB) 2-1 (4-1) O_O

What happened there? Did Red Star take them too lightly? Even then it seems surprising given how West Ham got through comfortably with various reserves in the side.

United have quickly made two reasonable improvements to their team. One more defender and a marquee signing and they will look quite strong.

Our only signing went off with a broken leg in our first pre-season game yesterday so this season is going bad already.

Years
  • I know this is pretty dead now that we've lost our resident Norwich fan, but I would have thought Sterling, Casillas or Vidal would have attracted some discussion. Maybe it's just me, but I have even more fun talking about football during the transfer window compared to usual.

On a sidenote no one cares about, Downing and Woodgate return to Boro. Of course Downing being the much more exciting story there. Maybe if there is someone with an eye on La Liga they could tell me their opinion of Stuani?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    :/ Sterling's not all that exciting, more annoying than anything else
    Casillas is a sad story
    Vidal is just depressing along with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to Man U
    Downing and Woodgate is definately interesting, I only found out Downing left the hammers today buy I didn't know where
    I know nothing of the Stuani deal

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I think Sterling is an excellent signing for Manchester City! He's an exciting prospect (one of the best in fact), English so he meets the Home-Grown quota in which City are so desperately in need of filling, and he's an upgrade on their current options. Well, at least an upgrade on Jesus Navas!

Casillas is a pretty sad departure but people don't really seem to remember why he was dropped waaaaay back. He and Sergio Ramos, apparently, tried to start a revolt against then manager Jose Mourinho... As well as that Diego Lopez performed admirably in his stead and Casillas hasn't looked like the infallible keeper of old! Sure the Madridista's booing him is kinda uncalled for but Mourinho was proven right in the end!

I'm quite gutted as an Arsenal fan that the rumours of us pursuing Vidal didn't come to anything. I'm not going to claim to watch him very often, and there was talk online of him not being at his best recently but he's a pretty tasty midfield. Juve losing Pirlo and Vidal in one window? Kinda suggests Pogba's not going anywhere. I don't really think we need him anyway with Ramsey, Wilshere, Santi, Coquelin, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Bielik etc. already vying for the two in the base of our midfield!

Downing going back to 'Boro was nice for me to see as I used to have quite the soft spot for them way back when... Football Manager will do that to a man, lol.

And I can't comment on the Stuani situation either unfortunately

Back