• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Kanto Roads v0.1 Showcase Demo

What set of starters should be used?

• Kanto

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Johto

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Dratini, Larvitar, Beldum

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • A unique elemental trio

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Something else (sound off in the comments)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSBS

Defunct
Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    UPDATE 15 NOVEMBER, 2016

Hello, everyone. Unfortunately, the linked demo is no longer available, as my old laptop tanked and I lost pretty much everything (RIP old faithful.) I have been re-working on the project for several months now off and on, and what was posted here does not accurately reflect the current vision for the project.

FEATURES

-Fairy Type, Moves and Abilities and everything else from MrDollSteak's Attack and Decap Rombase
    -Redesigned routes and towns: experience Kanto like you've never seen it before
    -Custom National Pokedex with Pokemon from every Generation - including a few Alola forms and Gen 7 favorites
    -Unique sprited encounters - see that generic Kangaskhan sprite? It could be anything, but it's guaranteed not to be anything you've encountered before!
    -Marts now carry a larger selection of items and some prices have been altered
    -Trade and trade with items evolutions have been removed - evolve via Stone, Level-Up, or Happiness
    -New Trainer Classes such as Ranchers and Dragon Tamers take advantage of the new Pokemon
    -A fresh take on the Mewtwo and Team Rocket story

Story

Rough outline:

Summer is here and with it the annual Pokemon League Tournament has opened! Across the region young men and women, boys and girls, people of all ages are travelling around to seek out and capture rare pokemon, fill their pokedexs, get all eight badges and challenge the Elite Four for the honor of being named a Pokemon Champion!

Meanwhile, rumor has it that the Elite Four have descended from Indigo Plateau to personally investigate the enigmatic Team Rocket and put an end to whatever plans they may have - are they seeking to capture the recently sighted Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres? Or are they up to something more heinous?

First Run Demo (Outdated)
    Screenshots
    Spoiler:

Original Maps (outdated)
    http://imgur.com/a/Q5omw

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Looks ssssssssmokin'

Just a clarifying question, I see you've put up wild grass in what looks like Pewter City and Viridian City. Is grass in cities going to be a common thing? Because it always felt like inhabited cities would logically cut down all pokemon grass so little suzy doesn't get mauled by a lv100 houndour while on her way to the poke mart. I'm guessing so it's to fit in all 386 pokemon in one game?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I'm happy to see you make a hack like this. I feel good knowing that you stuck around and learned as much about the basics revolving around scripting and mapping and various other small things before making a hack. It looks nice, and definitely better than most people's first hack, so congratulations. And welcome to ROM hacking!

Something that I see very often in your maps are single tile walking areas. You should allow the player more freedom in how they are allowed to move in the map, and one tile paths feel restricting and overall less enjoyable to play through. This sort of mapping sense will come as you observe more maps made by others and map more yourself. The scripts seem fine to me, of course I can't gauge quality of those just by looking at the words people are saying, but I think they're pretty neat. Good luck with this FSBS!

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Looks ssssssssmokin'

Just a clarifying question, I see you've put up wild grass in what looks like Pewter City and Viridian City. Is grass in cities going to be a common thing? Because it always felt like inhabited cities would logically cut down all pokemon grass so little suzy doesn't get mauled by a lv100 houndour while on her way to the poke mart. I'm guessing so it's to fit in all 386 pokemon in one game?

You know, I didn't consider the logic. My own logic goes that every town I've ever been to or lived in has a patch of tall grass somewhere, hidden or otherwise. Dangerous pokemon in the tall grass would be dealt with by the local Gym, of course. Some towns like Lavender won't have any tall grass, while others like Saffron will have warps into special areas (I'm thinking a dark/psychic inhabited forest.)

I'm happy to see you make a hack like this. I feel good knowing that you stuck around and learned as much about the basics revolving around scripting and mapping and various other small things before making a hack. It looks nice, and definitely better than most people's first hack, so congratulations. And welcome to ROM hacking!

Something that I see very often in your maps are single tile walking areas. You should allow the player more freedom in how they are allowed to move in the map, and one tile paths feel restricting and overall less enjoyable to play through. This sort of mapping sense will come as you observe more maps made by others and map more yourself. The scripts seem fine to me, of course I can't gauge quality of those just by looking at the words people are saying, but I think they're pretty neat. Good luck with this FSBS!

The only places I can really think of where this happens are in caves and the Mount Moon Slope; caves can be narrow and tight in places, and mountain trails can be narrow. Nonetheless, I will take this observation to heart in my future endeavors and review the maps thus far to better consider it.
    My scripts are incredibly basic message, giveitem, and trainerbattle 0x0. I'm going to keep working with more advanced scripting (still trying to work out a trainer disappearing after battle) because it's essential to what I'm doing with Team Rocket and the overall storyline.
    And thank you for welcoming me. This release isn't much, but it's a huge leap for me. I used to look at hacking like a monumental thing for those versed in program and mathematics but with some patience, research, and rigorous trial and error I see that anyone could do it with enough persistence. And a little help from the masters, of course.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I echo FBI that it's really nice to see someone take on board Beginner's Lounge help and progress with it. I think your maps are a bit empty but also don't always leave enough space for the player to manoeuvre, you're from one extreme to the other so if you find a medium inbetween it should be good. Solid start so far though.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks, hashtag. This kind of feedback is exactly why I dropped a demo-so I can know what I'm doing wrong.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Would you be alright with anyone doing a 'lets play' of this hack on youtube? Looks great, congrats on the amazing work!

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    U must add the physical/special split to the game
    Already done with MrDollSteak's rom base. National Dex, Phys/Spec split, Fairy type, updates moves.

Would you be alright with anyone doing a 'lets play' of this hack on youtube? Looks great, congrats on the amazing work!
    If you'd like, by all means but I'd wait until the project is finished (a year, maybe) because I've set up an impassable roadblock at the end of Route 4. It would be a very short LP. I couldn't even recommend nuzlocking it yet, since it's so short. This demo is simply a proof of concept.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Based on feedback from FBI and hashtag, I've been reworking my maps. I'll continue doing so as I work out scripting and events for what I've gotten done so far. I've also included a draft of Cerulean; it too will need to be reworked a little bit. I took a page from Doesntknowhowtoplay's Yet Another Fire Red Hack and moved Surge to Cerulean, as it's closer to the Power Plant.
    Spoiler:

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019

Kanto Roads is on the Hacks Spotlight!

Today we're checking out Kanto Roads on PC's official Hacks Spotlight Series! Be sure to come check it out and leave a like to show your support.

Click here to watch.

I've been reworking all these maps this past month, so while the demo isn't accurate exactly to the final product (though conceptually similar), I'm flattered by your enthusiasm and glad you enjoyed what little you played.

Last edited by a moderator:

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Bruh, you wrote that entire essay just to tell me the basic FireRed storyline? Hopefully it's different in the actual game but that **** tilted me.

Basic Fire Red Story: Kid gets Pokedex and a starter, catches them all, beats the gyms/leagues/champion/Team Rocket, captures Mewtwo.

Kanto Roads: Five years after an war initiated by the aggressive tribes of Indigo Plateau and Western Kanto, the Elite Four have opened up the 8 Gym Pokémon League Challenge with an open invitation, should anybody complete it, to join their ranks. Kid gets his Licensed Trainer Starter Kit (Pokedex, running shoes, pokeballs, starter Pokémon), beats the gyms/league/champion all while foiling the schemes of Team Rocket and Giovanni to reacquire a lost weapon to finish the war, culminating in a final confrontation between the weapon, Giovanni, and the player at Mt. Silver.
    I've got the basic plot figured with an ending, I just gotta figure out how to integrate the Hoenn and Johto Legendaries into the story. Or maybe I can just replace them with some Gen 4 cross-evos, that'd probably make more sense than one person capturing the legendary monsters that kept Giovanni from conquering Johto.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Basic Fire Red Story: Kid gets Pokedex and a starter, catches them all, beats the gyms/leagues/champion/Team Rocket, captures Mewtwo.

Kanto Roads: Five years after an war initiated by the aggressive tribes of Indigo Plateau and Western Kanto, the Elite Four have opened up the 8 Gym Pokémon League Challenge with an open invitation, should anybody complete it, to join their ranks. Kid gets his Licensed Trainer Starter Kit (Pokedex, running shoes, pokeballs, starter Pokémon), beats the gyms/league/champion all while foiling the schemes of Team Rocket and Giovanni to reacquire a lost weapon to finish the war, culminating in a final confrontation between the weapon, Giovanni, and the player at Mt. Silver.
    I've got the basic plot figured with an ending, I just gotta figure out how to integrate the Hoenn and Johto Legendaries into the story. Or maybe I can just replace them with some Gen 4 cross-evos, that'd probably make more sense than one person capturing the legendary monsters that kept Giovanni from conquering Johto.

Alright, thank you. How far does the demo go up too?

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    QUOTE=The Only God;9215813]Alright, thank you. How far does the demo go up too?[ QUOTE]
    Up to the Cerulean side of Route 4. Play the demo, enjoy it, but the next playable release will look a little different since technical difficulties or artistic redirection made me start over shortly after I dropped the demo. I'm going to post my updated maps in this thread when I've finished redrafting them; I post quite a bit on /heg/ over at /vp/.

Hey, a remake of FireRed! I guess this hack is actually good. It also got a spotlight too. Well, gonna play it and good luck!

Thanks! I think it's a good start myself! Of course, I've learned tons in regards to mapping since I made this demo. Next release is going to be 3 Gyms and each release built on that version. I'd like to say maybe another month, but probably 3 or 4.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Just wanted to drop a line and say I'm honored to be featured and progress is continuing on this hack. However, now that I have started summer classes at college, my time to work on the hack will be far more limited than it has been thus far.
    I appreciate the generally positive reception the demo got.
    It'll probably be 6 months to a year before I can drop a beta, and I will need scripting help after I finish mapping and what scripting I can do myself.

Vagrant Pixels

Pixel Artist
    Years
  • To think that mapping choices would do so much to reinvigorate the feeling of novelty of a game, especially one where you haven't even switched the official tile set, for one. (It's best if you don't; the default tile set is good as it is.)

Also, the areas somehow remind me of the drawn environments you see in the Pokemon Origins mini series. Awesome job, I've been inspired.

Nice mapping, btw.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2021
    I LOVE THIS HACK, this has the potential in my opinion, to be the greatest rom hack of all time, I love your detail into this hack, the mountain clan fire clan, its just amazing. I love how you have hidden places like where the couple are standing over the waterfall. I beg of you to never stop on this hack and to keep working on it, iv'e never wanted to play a full hack this badly.

Keep up the good work
    -Evan

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back