• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 7 Kanto Game

Should we have a Kanto rebirth?

• OOOH YEAH!

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Nah..

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Yes - however tweak it slightly and change things.

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
Years
  • So, just because all these characters appeared in both Gens, poor Green, Lorelei, and Agatha should just be left to rot? :P

(I'd also mention Jessie/James, but they, at least, have the anime. Plus, like Kris and to a lesser extent, Juan and the Hoenn Frontier Brains, they were retconned out of the remakes.)

Juan wasn't retconned out and neither were the Frontier Brains. Juan is referenced after you beat Wallace in a Pokemon Contest. He's mentioned as travelling at the moment.

Pike Queen Lucy is directly referenced in the Battle Resort as having been recently recruited by Scott.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Juan wasn't retconned out and neither were the Frontier Brains. Juan is referenced after you beat Wallace in a Pokemon Contest. He's mentioned as travelling at the moment.

Pike Queen Lucy is directly referenced in the Battle Resort as having been recently recruited by Scott.

The odds of either ever appearing in another game again are slim-to-none. They're as good as gone.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I came across an E3 rumor saying they will announce a Pokemon Wii U game that practically sounds like a Kanto remake...as it takes place in Kanto and has Red. If it's true then I guess we'll get our 20th anniversary game...(could release early next year seeing how this years E3 games are said to be coming out this year and/or early next year).

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Why do they need another remake of the Kanto region. They originally started with Red, Blue and Yellow and remade it in the GBA and called it Firered and Leafgreen. Most likely they will remake the Sinnoh region next because they already remade the Kanto-Hoenn regions already and I could suggest the main regions for the gen7 games. The regions would either be called the Juno Region, Tohjo Region or the Smogon Region. I have made my case about this here and this case will be considered true.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • It would be soooo awesome. But they really should change some things, add a new episode or something like that, or focus more on the story because Kanto felt like just an adventure. Would love to see the rivalry of Red v Blue again. I wouldn't have a problem having a Kanto remake.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    It would be soooo awesome. But they really should change some things, add a new episode or something like that, or focus more on the story because Kanto felt like just an adventure. Would love to see the rivalry of Red v Blue again. I wouldn't have a problem having a Kanto remake.
    If they did that then I would want them to bring back the Sevii Islands such as Islands 1-3, Navel Rock, etc---------------.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Worth pointing out that we have a handheld console with digital downloads. With the eShop selling Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, potentially for as long as the life of the eShop (hoping the NX can at least play/emulate the 3DS), people can easily get their hands on copies of these games provided they have a console that has access to the eShop. We also have Pokémon Bank, a service for storing Pokémon that could potentially outlive its console and its player.

I bring this up now because I wanted to point out that it isn't easy to replay any incarnation of Kanto because Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver are no longer on sale and GameFreak are reluctant to even make them available on the eShop. Yes, you could hope that the local GameStop has a copy of the latter games, but chances are they won't. There's a higher chance of finding a copy of Pokémon White 2 instead. On the other hand, you will very likely find a healthy stock of the 3DS Pokémon titles because that's the current console and Nintendo have not officially discontinued them.

That Kanto has appeared in four games to boot is therefore moot for the tons of players choosing to get into Pokémon now.

This is my opinion, but if Kanto does reappear and GameFreak chooses to frame it in the current "timeline" (as established by OR/AS), they have a basis for making it more interesting already — see Pokémon Origins. Still, since almost all Pokémon are available in this gen, it's more likely we'll get them in the next generation, and if they plan to start one any time soon without waiting for NX, they're gonna have to make the new titles on the 3DS and New 3DS.
    How about a gen 7 game were it is mainly located in the Sevii Islands region and you have to get all 8 badges there first while also having to defeat the Sevii Islands Elite 4 and Champion and they will let you access Kanto at the end and challenge the Kanto gym leaders and Elite 4 along with the champion. There would be new Pokemon along with a new Pokedex and more mega evolutions and Primal Pokemon. It would be called Pokemon Cyan and Pokemon Violet.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Worth pointing out that we have a handheld console with digital downloads. With the eShop selling Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, potentially for as long as the life of the eShop (hoping the NX can at least play/emulate the 3DS), people can easily get their hands on copies of these games provided they have a console that has access to the eShop. We also have Pokémon Bank, a service for storing Pokémon that could potentially outlive its console and its player.

I bring this up now because I wanted to point out that it isn't easy to replay any incarnation of Kanto because Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver are no longer on sale and GameFreak are reluctant to even make them available on the eShop. Yes, you could hope that the local GameStop has a copy of the latter games, but chances are they won't. There's a higher chance of finding a copy of Pokémon White 2 instead. On the other hand, you will very likely find a healthy stock of the 3DS Pokémon titles because that's the current console and Nintendo have not officially discontinued them.

That Kanto has appeared in four games to boot is therefore moot for the tons of players choosing to get into Pokémon now.

This is my opinion, but if Kanto does reappear and GameFreak chooses to frame it in the current "timeline" (as established by OR/AS), they have a basis for making it more interesting already — see Pokémon Origins. Still, since almost all Pokémon are available in this gen, it's more likely we'll get them in the next generation, and if they plan to start one any time soon without waiting for NX, they're gonna have to make the new titles on the 3DS and New 3DS.

I would also point out that FRLG and HGSS sell for more than what they retailed for in 2004/2010 respectively. And HGSS is still in high demand due to Bank Balls from the community AND extremely high ratings and good word of mouth. I had a spare copy of SoulSilver that I ultimately sold for $60 to a used books store because demand was so high. And this was a few years ago.

I also gifted my FireRed to a friend and I regret it. But dang, it costs $35 for one in good condition. $27 if I want one thats beat up to hell and back.

Fact is, Kanto and Johto are hard games to get. And there is demand for them. I see lots of Sinnoh Games at Gamestop, lots of Unova Games, heck, even a decent amount of X&Y and ORAS in the cases. Kanto or Johto based games? If they're in stock, they cost too much to afford and there's at most one or two of them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Fact is, Kanto and Johto are hard games to get. And there is demand for them. I see lots of Sinnoh Games at Gamestop, lots of Unova Games, heck, even a decent amount of X&Y and ORAS in the cases. Kanto or Johto based games? If they're in stock, they cost too much to afford and there's at most one or two of them.

Yup, exactly. Of course, HGSS, at least, can still be played on a 3DS, so they're more worth the money. On the other hand, you'll have to hunt down an old GBA for RBY, GSC, and FRLG, and those aren't exactly cheap or easy to find, either. And, with RBY and (especially) GSC, the carts may not even WORK because of dead batteries.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2023
    If we do get more Kanto remakes/reboots, it'll probably be a few generations away, or on a really special occasion(20th/25th/50th anniversary or something).
    Most likely we'll get Sihnno remakes next, probably with the next line of consoles or after a generation or two. Which honestly I wouldn't mind.

If/when they do make more Kanto games, hopefully they can be made more interesting, and(hopefully) with more stuff to do outside the plot(because XY lacked that).

Years
  • Easily remedied.

DS titles work on a 3DS, but they're less and less easily-acquired. An eShop version, be it a remade game or straight-up port, would totally solve this issue and diminish the value of the games.

He's brought up something interesting here, given DS games are getting less accessible these days compared to 3DS games so a new Kanto remake could help make the region relevant again along with still being accessible in a 3DS era. eShop wouldn't be what I have in mind, but as mentioned it could devalue the game compared to if you bought a physical copy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Easily remedied.

DS titles work on a 3DS, but they're less and less easily-acquired. An eShop version, be it a remade game or straight-up port, would totally solve this issue and diminish the value of the games.

That could maybe work for HGSS, but not the others. They're just WAY too outdated to be worth porting to the eShop. RBY and GSC don't even have any kind of trading compatibility with the newest games.

Years
  • I would love a Kanto game as would most of us however I think a Yellow remake is the most sensible idea (and the most entertaining) as it would be something fresh and a new twist on the Kanto region that hasn't been explored since the game's original release. Of course there would need to be a sufficient post-game story (perhaps the Orange Islands?) to keep players entertained. This way the game could still keep the nostalgia factor and adventure feel of the Kanto region whilst still providing a new way to explore it.

Years
  • Timeline of what I want:

2015 - Nothing announced, probably nothing released
    2016 - Poke'mon Z, a whole lot better than X/Y
    2017 - Colo/XD sequel on Wii U
    2018 - Gen VII (Plus/Minus?)
    2019 - Gen VII third version
    2020 - D/P remakes
    2021 - 25th anniversary, blows everything else out of the water

Now here's what I want from that. Just an idea.

-Begin in Kanto. Red/Blue are grown up
    -Silver is running Team Rocket and causing havoc in both Kanto and Johto, using legendaries TBD
    -Player has to travel between both regions to defeat them

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Easily remedied.

Problem is, I don't think eShop versions COULD work for the Gen III games because of the difference in trading and multiplayer mechanics. And could you imagine a pokemon game that didn't have those functional? Even Colosseum and XD had working multiplayer battling and trading!

And I don't see Gen IV getting put on e-Shop simply because you can run the actual cartridges on the system.

That said, Kanto and Johto absolutely deserve to be seen in 3D. It would be an absolute disgrace to not have the original two generation regions NOT appear in a 3D setting. Especially since it worked so well for ORAS and Hoenn.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I don't think it's about being "seen in 3D" as much as it's "having an accessible eShop version". I already know that the drawbacks to putting them on the eShop involve being unable to trade or transfer, but I'm thinking their priority should be having something up. Even Pokémon Red, with VC compatibility and some form of wireless. Or an entire remake (for the second time).

Something needs to be on the eShop because then, it makes that generation accessible to users who can otherwise never experience it.

Oh, I would kill for an eShop version of the Gen III main series. But I expect them as much as I expect an eShop version of Colosseum/XD. Its just something I've noticed - Pokemon Games in particular exist in a great abundance, but once they're a generation or two out of date, they're extremely hard to get ahold of. At least legit copies. And Nintendo and/or Game Freak seem really adverse to putting them on eShop. Probably because a full remake would make them, to quote Will Sasso playing Ahnold, "so much lotta money! Laghl!"

I think its part of the reason, I'm really ok with Pokemon's remake strategy as a business perspective. Because the only remake that very faithful to the originals was FRLG. And even that had major changes, whether it was Giovanni not chosing to become a researcher and vowing to return or the Sevii Islands and the interquel-ness of the Team Rocket plot there leading to GSC/HGSS.

Combined with the games being updated with the newer mechanics, they don't really play the same as the originals, but the experiences of the originals still come across, while being (and I hate to use this phrase) more accessible to a younger generation. I'll admit, as much as I love HGSS, replaying it right now is kinda hard due to the slower battles and lack of game fidelty Gen 6 had.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • We have more than enough Kanto remakes lol. I think it would be somewhat interesting to have a Sinnoh remake! The Sinnoh region has a lot to offer! I think it would make a great 3ds game. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2015
    They should, if they make enough changes as to where it's familiar to the originals, yet different enough to where it's fresh and new

Back