• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SRE (Sex and relationships education)

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    So, you should know what it is.
    I know the last 2 years at my school (years 5 and 6) learn it.

But, do you older ones think it's right/appropriate for that age group?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yes.People need to grow up eventually. Also, some people start puberty at that age, so it makes sense, doesn't it?

Anyway, we get it more in Year 9,10,11.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Year 5 and 6 is ten and eleven year olds, yes? I think that yes that is a good time to learn about those kinds of things because that is the time when your body starts to change.

Years
  • I'm American so I'm not sure what age group year 5 includes, but my school had something like this in the 5th and 6th grade when most of us were 10-12 years old.

There are some very basic things about the body that kids need to know and puberty can start pretty early so I think it's appropriate.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Its important that it is taught in schools that early. You can't just wrap children up in bubble-wrap. However, the shouldn't patronise them and Sex Ed for me was very patronising. I hope its changed.

Ayselipera

If by 5 and 6 you mean 10 - 12 then yes that sounds appropriate to me. I feel like sex education is something that needs to be taught or acknowledged fairly early. I personally would rather know the facts then remain oblivious if I was that age.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    I was never put through sexual education class..
    And I honestly regret learning everything from the internet. >:

They just don't teach us about that sh*t over here.

I would say it's better to educate children at an age like that, so they can develop a mature attitude towards the thing.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    hmm i learned about this topic in 6th grade. im going to be a freshman next school semester, so i'm probbably going to be learning more about it. i remember when i first learned about "how a baby is formed". totally caught me off guard -.- ehe x3. and how the immature kids would laugh when the body parts were said... ehh.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Aye, that'd be a good age to learn it. You start going through puberty around 9-12, so you start to get the urges to have sex, so its important you learn about it.

If you don't tell 'em they'll learn it on their own, and that could be worse. For instance, if you learn about sex from a certain website that has a '4' in it and a 'chan' at the end, then you'll probably end up with a very messed up opinion on it.

I was never put through sexual education class..
    And I honestly regret learning everything from the internet. >:

They just don't teach us about that sh*t over here.

Yeah, I learnt most of it from the internet too. Bad, bad times.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Being from a stereotypically conservative redneck state, I didn't officially learn about sex in school until 7th grade (age 12). I got "the talk" from my dad when I was 10 though. :P

Fun fact: When my dad gave me "the talk", he utilized pr0n websites as a visual aid. XD

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Anxiety said:
    Yeah, I learnt most of it from the internet too. Bad, bad times.
    Agreed. Horrible times. Ugh.

Fun fact: When my dad gave me "the talk", he utilized pr0n websites as a visual aid. XD

Hahaha! That's very classy. At least it's... erm... effective? I suppose?

Anyway, I think that that's an appropriate age. See, we never really got a full "education." All we got was FLE (Family Life Education), which didn't really go into detail that much, I guess. Most of the teachers just let us infer what happened. Sigh. :/

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Make sure you guys discuss education about sex, not sex itself. Otherwise, this thread is fine.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    …Damn it.

Sex Education should be fine. It teaches kids about sex and sometimes shies them away from sex until they're older.
    No one in their right mind thinks teen pregnancy is great.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • Yes. At my school, they don't teach it until the last year of school, because it's a private school. I have this one friend who's nineteen years old and she doesn't know what an orgasm is.

She said to me, "I don't look it up like you do!"

...I don't look it up. I just have common sense and perverted friends.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it's better to learn about it in high school (yr 9/10) as opposed to primary school (5/6) since I remember learning about it in year 6 and all I wanted to do was block my ears. Not that I was being immature, I just felt it wasn't appropriate, and I dunno, the discussion appeared to be disgusting rather than informative for me. Though the other students who probably knew a lot of that information already just listened, and I think at that age first hearing everything is just not appealing. I mean, at that age (well for me at least), many of the students were still immature, bullied each other and didn't really think about sex, so I don't think it was needed then. Though now as mentioned, with the Internet playing more of a prominent role in a child's life, and when I was younger I didn't really use the Internet, none of us did... and the fact that we can learn a lot of the information online...

I think times have changed, and because of that, it's more necessary to have sex education at a younger age, so yeah, I think it's appropriate for year 5/6/7 to learn it. Though when I was in school... yeah no.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • So, you should know what it is.
    I know the last 2 years at my school (years 5 and 6) learn it.

But, do you older ones think it's right/appropriate for that age group?

yes of course, my mum told me about reproduction when i was about 9 before yrs 5+6 =/

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I learned about sex when I was six through friends. Children should just be taught at the age of twelve that if you touch another human being sexually, you will die.

It'd hopefully stop teenage pregnancy.

Back