• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't think one should even remotely worry about PC temperatures under normal circumstances, really. Internal temperatures of about 80-90 degrees Celsius are now considered "acceptable". (It's on the verge of throttling, though.)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Not with AMD processors, Twiggy. :P

Also, 90C is dangerous even with an Intel processor. Where'd you hear that? :o

It probably is a very good idea to read up on the maximum operating limit of modern Intel processors on ARK. Many of them have Tjunction of at least 90 degrees Celsius. In fact, on full load, high-end mobile Core processors are expected to hit around 85-90.

I'll just say that some processors have a Tjunction equal or higher than the boiling point of water. For example, the Core i7-4700HQ in my laptop has a Tjunction of 100 degrees Celsius. That's the maximum temperature allowed on the processor itself.

Whether the system actually allows the processor to get that hot in the first place depends a lot on the firmware, though, as long as the temperature is below said Tjunction point. One prime example is probably the Core M processors. Some OEMs opt to have the CPUs throttle much earlier than their absolute limits would indicate purely because of its form factor. (Even though the internal temperature might be "safe", a tablet that can actually burn skin is a tablet that doesn't sell at all.)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
It probably is a very good idea to read up on the maximum operating limit of modern Intel processors on ARK. Many of them have Tjunction of at least 90 degrees Celsius. In fact, on full load, high-end mobile Core processors are expected to hit around 85-90.

I'll just say that some processors have a Tjunction equal or higher than the boiling point of water. For example, the Core i7-4700HQ in my laptop has a Tjunction of 100 degrees Celsius. That's the maximum temperature allowed on the processor itself.

Whether the system actually allows the processor to get that hot in the first place depends a lot on the firmware, though, as long as the temperature is below said Tjunction point. One prime example is probably the Core M processors. Some OEMs opt to have the CPUs throttle much earlier than their absolute limits would indicate purely because of its form factor. (Even though the internal temperature might be "safe", a tablet that can actually burn skin is a tablet that doesn't sell at all.)
Well, in the time I spend on LTT, 90C is not an advisable temperature. Just because it can go there doesn't mean it should. :b

The rule of thumb for Intel CPUs last I heard was <90C. So whatever.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Well, in the time I spend on LTT, 90C is not an advisable temperature. Just because it can go there doesn't mean it should. :b

The rule of thumb for Intel CPUs last I heard was <90C. So whatever.

There used to be a time where 60 degrees is just too hot. Just sayin' :)

Years
I have a weather widget on my Nexus 7 that monitors the tablet's internal temperature. It's actually pretty neat, to say the least.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It probably says something that the Nintendo 3DSes never get warm in the first place even while playing games. Sometimes, cramming the fastest possible hardware isn't exactly the best thing to do if you end up running into thermal issues. Try to run a video game on a smartphone for even a short period, and you'd start to have a really warm handset.

Some of it probably have to do with the 3DS also having more space for, well, everything internally. Physically, that is. I sometimes still wonder if we'll ever see a phone that never gets hot these days at full throttle...

The thing stopping me from buying any one of the 8" Windows tablets, even if they came with any form of pen input, is their displays are, well, inferior to the one on the almost three-year-old Surface RT. As bad as the hardware and the software configuration may be in retrospect, they got the display properties right from day one. I've yet to see one of these mini-tablets with a display as vivid as the RT. That's also why I'm holding out for the Surface 3 - I don't feel like pre-ordering it, anyway, seeing as the only pre-order bonus I get is a decal. I don't like decals. The lack of any full-size USB port on the systems is also a sticking point for the mini-tablets - I'd rather take the Surface anytime, any day.

I still wonder about the practicality of the 2GB/64GB model, though. My gut says that I should probably buy the 4/128 model instead, if only for the extra 64 GB of space. In Windows, apps can take a lot of space, especially if you plan on using the tablet as a true "second computer".

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Honestly, I think it's a good thing that Nintendo 3DSes don't get hot/overheat.

Sometimes I find the talk about the Nintendo 3DS being underpowered...well, it just gets on my nerves.

Consider that the Nintendo 3DS was officially announced in 2010 and released in 2011. The contemporary iPhone would be the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4's GPU actually struggles to even attempt just one single shader light in a 3D scene while the 3DS will do it with three without breaking a sweat. They're designed for different philosophies. Back in 2010, a mobile GPU with programmable shader capabilities is basically just...another thing in a bullet list of features when it comes to 3D gaming usage. They're too slow back then for any gaming purposes (in fact, I believe that said shader capabilities back then are actually more for reducing battery usage in UI use).

Same for the system memory. The 3DS might have shipped with only 128 MB of system memory (with 64 MB being usable for standard games; 96 for high-memory), but do also consider that iOS apps back then didn't have too much memory space to use on a per-app basis, the screen resolution for the 3DS being quite low, and the fact that the 3DS has dedicated video memory.

The CPU part is slightly inexcusable, though. ARMv6 is kind of dated when its contemporaries are sporting ARMv7 CPUs. That might have changed with the New 3DSes, but we're not sure about that. I do know that a certain homebrew community said that there are now four cores of the same CPU core type as found in the 3DS, which is a dual-core design, but then an official Nintendo-licenced developer said "wrong" on it, meaning that there is at least one part about the CPU type being incorrect. For all we know they could have swapped out the CPU entirely into a modern design...

I think a lot of this has to do with the 3DS basically having to be "stuck" on a given specification for years due to its nature as a portable gaming console. The specifications might be competitive, or even superior to an iPhone 4 back then on a single-application basis, but in 2015, the specifications, which are stuck in time, pretty much are a joke. The New 3DSes, much less so, though, outside of the display resolution.

Sometimes I think it might be worth it to just go to the SP3 with i3 if I'm thinking of getting the 4/128 model of the S3... On the other hand, though, I don't like fans on tablets.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
This is the PC that's saved my ass:

CEL2ery.png

3VLZklk.png

JDeMOEK.png

aSI5xym.png

You don't know what kind of tech hell I've been in for this to be so great. >_>

Years
So, the question of me getting a Mac Mini or building a new desktop is in the air. :/

I want to get a Mac Mini just to try something new, while I'd like to have a new desktop built that way I can use my old hardware and hard drive as well.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Mac mini is an affordable way to own a Mac, but it all adds up to getting a separate keyboard, mouse/touchpad, and other stuff you might want to add. While building your own desktop is a lot easier because YOU are adding YOUR OWN drivers/peripherals and YOU get to customize your own desktop. I think buoysie added an SSD in his mac mini, which is actually entirely possible.

It's really worth the change. I'd rather get the best of both worlds. But alas, it's up to you whether you want to explore a brand new world or customize a world of your own.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I can't wait to get my money and build my desktop, and buy my laptop, and replace my mother's laptop, and buy all of my PC repair equipment, and buy a pen input tablet for drawing, and buy a brand-new smartphone, and buy a proper sound system, and build a server for when I get Google Fiber...

Okay. I may or may not be able to buy all of that - I'll prioritize if I have to. 50/50 chance I will, though! *excite*

Years
Hello, C&Ters! Don't mind me, just leaving this here.

Although according to this source, it was probably a member of the public. Who knows, really. It's...interesting, though.

Definitely a member of the public.

Though corrections take months for them to process. I saw a correction I placed last September finally be processed a couple weeks ago, and it was even further from the location of the actual address than before. Hell, it was actually 2 towns away despite the city it was actually in being listed in the address...

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Call it the child in me, but I am mildly amused at that. No offense, but there's a lot wrong with Apple.

I dunno if it being immature is really the baddest of things, lol. That's probably just me.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
There's a few things about them I can like. Their OS is nice as an end-user, it'd probably outdo Windows if it didn't have its long list of negatives. Why Objective-C exists is beyond me. Also, what's the purpose of Objective-C++? ._.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I don't know if you were, but I had a couple of stories I mentioned on the IRC as to why I dislike Apple as a company. That, and I've hard Objective-C is rather awkward.
It was a real eye-opener hearing about Apple making stores selling their product into being their bitch. What kind of animalistic capitalistic sharp-dressed monkey shit is that? Haha :P

Honestly, as far as programming goes... with GTK+ and GLib, I am 100% content with C. It's all I ever wanted out of a procedural lang. c:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I keep looking at Alex's signature gif and I'm here like "that is going to be me when i start my new tech job in two weeks lmaooo"
Nevermind the desk's on fire, I have a database to synchronize. Oh, and the office's e-mail servers need rebooting. Best get on that.

I'd love a job like that. Just sit at my desk and work on intranet stuff for a company building, minding my own business and largely left alone.

But it'd also be fun to be one of those IT pros that are always running around, helping workers with their PCs and diagnosing problems. There's exercise and people skills in that. :b

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
*is getting a Surface 3...this June*

Late to the party, as always. But hey, I'm replacing my old tablet. I think I'll be getting the 4/128 unit with a pen, but no cover. I find the i3 to be...rather redundant, as it's still more expensive than the configuration I'm aiming for, pen included, and I have a gaming laptop already.

It'd be really nice to have a tablet that I can use as a sketch pad with infinite paper, ink, and colouring supplies, as well as an actual backup computer than can do more than Office and Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back