• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • My laptop's a bit dated, but with the right care and upgrades it can last me until 2020. The generational improvements of CPUs are minimal and I can upgrade the PC's RAM to 8GiB later on. It's got gigabit ethernet, a Blu-ray drive, and a really swell build. My problems with it, though, are no USB 3.0, 768p screen, and that it has a dual-core Core i5.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Hi, you're not allowed to have that app on our devices because you're not allowed to have it.

Great.

You know, I'm thankful product vendors cover all manufacturing/shipping defects, because the manufacturers don't. Thank you Amazon for refunding me my broken hard drive that died in minutes. That's $120 of heartache I don't have.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    There seems to be a disturbing trend where a new Tech DCC means I'm laptopless,

These coincidences are scary! Yeah, I'm on my Surface again. I think I really should get a Surface 3 at this rate.

Though, I do wonder if that'd mean the next time a new Tech DCC thread shows up I'd end up with TWO unusable PCs at the same time...

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • These coincidences are scary! Yeah, I'm on my Surface again. I think I really should get a Surface 3 at this rate.

Though, I do wonder if that'd mean the next time a new Tech DCC thread shows up I'd end up with TWO unusable PCs at the same time...

Let's hope that you won't come here to tell us that your surface 3 is unusable because something broke somehow by then. xD

Speaking of silly apps, I wonder how it will take before someone publishes a crazy watchface for the iWatch - maybe one with loads of virtual diamonds on them selling for as high a price as the "I am rich" app back in 2008 for the iPhone.

Years
  • There seems to be a disturbing trend where a new Tech DCC means I'm laptopless,

These coincidences are scary! Yeah, I'm on my Surface again. I think I really should get a Surface 3 at this rate.

Aw come on, this is only the second DCC in the history of the section! :P

Well that sucks. What happened this time?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Aw come on, this is only the second DCC in the history of the section! :P

Well that sucks. What happened this time?

The cooling system seems to be out of business so it went in for servicing. Massive throttling problems in games clued me in.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • On the subject of those Apple watches, did you guys hear recently that they supposedly won't work if people have wrist tattoos, especially dark ones? Kind of a big misstep imo on Apple's part. Sure, you could just use your other wrist, but what if someone sports wrist tattoos on each of their arms? They're kinda goosed, then.

I'd like to try the Samsung smart watches some day though.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    On the subject of those Apple watches, did you guys hear recently that they supposedly won't work if people have wrist tattoos, especially dark ones? Kind of a big misstep imo on Apple's part. Sure, you could just use your other wrist, but what if someone sports wrist tattoos on each of their arms? They're kinda goosed, then.

The Apple Watch detects your heart rate by using a green light to reflect your blood flow in the best way possible. The watch can't get a clear reading because the thick pigmented tattoos make it difficult (or impossible) to penetrate the skin. Fortunately enough, this issue has been brought up during the two-weeks return period.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My tablet faked me out today. It failed to turn on several times in a row - the display didn't even turn on at all! (I always shut it down fully when I'm done for the day.)

It finally did, but now I'm wondering if I really should replace it soon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2020
    My tablet faked me out today. It failed to turn on several times in a row - the display didn't even turn on at all! (I always shut it down fully when I'm done for the day.)

It finally did, but now I'm wondering if I really should replace it soon.
    Which tablet is this? OG Surface, or the Surface 3 (which I think you have)?

Years
  • Personally, I wish there were more displays with touch screens that accepted input from any touch, and not just heat sensitivity. (like the DS touchscreen)

That's probably just a dream at this point, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Personally, I wish there were more displays with touch screens that accepted input from any touch, and not just heat sensitivity. (like the DS touchscreen)

That's probably just a dream at this point, though.

The problem with resistive touchscreens (like the DS) is that they only deal with one touch at a time, like Team Fail said.

Also, most touchscreens these days are capacitive, which are based on properties of electricity, not heat. :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm still internally "debating" whether I can get away with the 2/64 model and skipping out on the pen initially. It's not like I'm getting any bundle discounts with the latter, anyway.

May 5 is coming very soon, anyway, and I intend to demo the model. Missing out on a collectible decal isn't a big deal, anyway.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm, apparently the 2/64 model has a bit worse graphics than the 4/128 model. Guess when it comes to integrated graphics, you can't really skimp out on system memory.

I think I'll go ahead and get the 4/128 model soon.

Years
  • I dunno why, but I really want an Android phone, and one that is not el cheapo and the budget brand. Too bad that most of the ones that are up-to-date aren't available unlocked at an affordable price.

Years
  • Your best bet is a Nexus 5 which is more or less affordable unlocked depending on your overall budget, but that's pretty much it. x_x; I'm really hoping that Google's next phone from either Huawei or LG manage to be quite cheaper than the Nexus 6, because that's ridiculously expensive (needless to say).
    Yeah, the Nexus 5 is unfortunately not in my budget D:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back