• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's been so long I can't even remember.

Heh heh... It's probably not worth the time to think about anything about the old computer at this point, really.

Come to think about it, I was wondering about something... I still haven't upgraded my tablet yet. And now I feel like that a Surface 4 will happen really soon...

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Woo new school wireless network is awesome and it ****ing works like a charm! :D

Ours is good when there isn't 1000 people using it at the same time.

Our old router had trouble handing 1. 1 of all things. :P

Ditched it ASAP. Best decision ever.

I feel really inclined to buy a Surface 3 now that I have free cash to spend, but I want to wait, too...

Years
  • My college very recently changed vendors of who provides wireless access points from Xirrus to Aerohive, and there are several more of the Aerohive WAPs around than the Xirrus WAPs. They also now require authentication with the college's login credentials instead of being a 100% open network.

It's much faster and works with all of my devices and easily connects instead of taking forever. :)

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • My friend always seems to have issues with the campus wifi network in getting it to work for soe reason. No one else I know seems to have any issues either leading me to think that it could be a driver issue...

Could anyone explain what's so great about a surface tablet compared to a iPad + keyboard accessory? Isn't the iPad cheaper?

Years
  • Yeah. Our school introduced a similar network like this in September, however, it's not entirely bug-free. Some devices fail to connect to the secured student network here, including my friend's Alienware laptop and my laptop when running Linux. It seems to be a certificate issue.
    I've run across that issue as well, but sometimes clearing cookies fixed it.

Years
  • It's the device. There's two SSIDs you can connect to from all access points within the school, one is public (And has a swarm login screen where you agree to stuff) and the other requires a username and password. The one that requires the username and password is the one that devices are having issues connecting to, and IT is clueless as to what's going on. I'm quite certain that it's a cert issue though.
    Now I'm really curious to what it says when you try to login :/ maybe post a screenshot sometime if you can?

I know mine had some trouble this morning, but that was because I had to use my student email for it to work today (on Friday, it accepted my work email).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Could anyone explain what's so great about a surface tablet compared to a iPad + keyboard accessory? Isn't the iPad cheaper?

First things first, the Surface 3 runs Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, and most models should now come with the latter out of the box. It runs everything the Intel Atom x7 could, and that actually covers a lot of things. Some Photoshop work? The occasional video editing? Things like Civilization V/Beyond Earth, CS:GO, or Skyrim, as well as various flavours of "indie" games aren't a problem at all. It just doesn't have quite enough horsepower to run current-gen ports at anything other than minimum. The iPad Air 2 has access to the iOS ecosystem, though. (Remember that the Surface 3, while looking weak, is about equivalent to a mid-high end system from the 2006-2007 - Core 2 Duo, with perhaps a 8600 GT.)

The iPad Air 2 starts at RM 1999 ($499) for a basic 16GB model. Starting at 64GB means that they're RM 2399 ($599) machines instead.

The Surface 3 starts at RM 1989 ($499) for a 64 GB model. You can't buy the 32 GB model outside of education use.

That's not factoring in the costs of a keyboard, though. The iPad Air 2 doesn't have a matching keyboard, so you'll have to go third party and find something suitable. And they'll all be Bluetooth keyboards.

With a Surface 3, in addition to the rather spendy Type Cover for Surface 3, and Bluetooth keyboards, you can also get any USB keyboard. That's the charm of Windows and a full-size USB port. You can also attach a mouse, be it USB or Bluetooth! USB hubs work, of course. And the iPad Air 2 will never have proper pen input without resorting to additional hardware...

The value factor swings a lot on the Surface 3, really.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Nonsensical bugs are the most fun to work with. :3 Still remember the few times that I had to deal with back when I was working on C++ projects. Sometimes, things just error out or crash...

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Somehow my college have toshiba tablet running in Windows 10 and it kinda small but useful.

Further more it is very convenient for office use if you go outside.

Years
  • 5070965436.png

Yeah, that will be lower as the day goes onward ;D

Years
  • Either way, the network does in fact begin to become bogged down as more users get onto it.

5071495857.png

But the simple fact that they have a lot more WAPs around does actually help with stability and ability to use it in areas where it used to be difficult to connect.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm, so apparently my Surface RT (still using it!) has a USB port that seems to be able to charge a phone pretty fast. Not bad for a freaking tablet.

Makes me want to get a Surface 3 since it's pretty much better at everything. No need to deal with anything potentially throwing a wedge.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm curious, has anyone tried dual-booting Linux with Windows 8/10? I've been meaning to try it, but I heard the process had gotten complicated ever since.

Years
  • It's a whole mess, for sure. Plus, it's pretty fucked how UEFI and secure boot have changed things as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back