• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I have a Staples-branded mouse. Not sure who actually made it, but I have my doubts that they did XD

Oh, and it has a blue LED bottom instead of the standard red as well. :3

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I never had a trouble with wireless keyboards or mice losing signal based on position...sometimes they would just randomly drop and I'd have to re-sync them to the receiver, but that was about the worst trouble I ever had with them.

I've moved to a wired keyboard and mouse on my desktop now though (well, I've always used a wired gaming mouse with it). I got a mechanical keyboard last summer and it's sooooo much more satisfying to type on, and honestly the wires aren't that much of a big deal. And since I got my Macbook a couple years ago I just use the trackpad rather than a wireless mouse with my laptop.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think all my broken Logitech products weren't broken by their own fault - pretty much every single mice that were broken involved leaking Duracell (lol) batteries.

I have much better luck with Panasonic/Sanyo and Energizer, really. Duracell seems... awful in my use.

I probably should buy a cheap Logitech wireless for use with my future tablet. :)

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I think all my broken Logitech products weren't broken by their own fault - pretty much every single mice that were broken involved leaking Duracell (lol) batteries.

I have much better luck with Panasonic/Sanyo and Energizer, really. Duracell seems... awful in my use.

I probably should buy a cheap Logitech wireless for use with my future tablet. :)

What I suggest you invest in is a set of rechargeable batteries for your mouse. Those tend to be far less crappy than your standard alkaline batteries anyways. Also they're cheaper in the long run as you don't have to constantly supply batteries, a set of rechargeables can often outlast the mouse itself.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    What I suggest you invest in is a set of rechargeable batteries for your mouse. Those tend to be far less crappy than your standard alkaline batteries anyways. Also they're cheaper in the long run as you don't have to constantly supply batteries, a set of rechargeables can often outlast the mouse itself.

Heh - these were the ones they came with. :P

My Razer Orochi is using Eneloops, and I think I need to get more of them. I don't have enough of them after also needing to take into account my desktop wireless combo and the Wedge Mobile Keyboard. I'd need two more AAAs and at least 3 AAs... And seeing as I want to also get a wireless mouse for something, that's one more AA.

(Hah, that just reminded me of my current theme...)

Years
    I've heard mixed reviews on Razer mouses. Some say that they're good and worth it, while others say not so much.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've heard mixed reviews on Razer mouses. Some say that they're good and worth it, while others say not so much.

One thing I know for sure is that the one I mentioned is surprisingly comfortable compared to even normal fullsize mice. :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Hey guys! Gonna be buying a new gaming PC later on in the month as I anticipate my refund. Although I'm contemplating on buying a laptop instead of a desktop, but I think with the portability the laptop has, I can take my gaming to and from my boyfriend's place, however, that will leave me with two laptops with this one being basic enough for me to run games with low graphic settings.

So I ask you guys...in terms of gaming would you rather buy a laptop or a desktop? I know it's something video game-ish, but I want to ask in a technological perspective, as well as get a second opinion.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hey guys! Gonna be buying a new gaming PC later on in the month as I anticipate my refund. Although I'm contemplating on buying a laptop instead of a desktop, but I think with the portability the laptop has, I can take my gaming to and from my boyfriend's place, however, that will leave me with two laptops with this one being basic enough for me to run games with low graphic settings.

So I ask you guys...in terms of gaming would you rather buy a laptop or a desktop? I know it's something video game-ish, but I want to ask in a technological perspective, as well as get a second opinion.

Very first thing: Do you want to sell your old laptop? You might be able to buy slightly more laptop.

For the more affordable gaming laptops, I think you probably should take a look at Asus' N-series performance series and ROG stuff (starts with G). Whatever you do, consider what you want in a laptop. I'd think a GTX 950M or 960M would be more than enough. So long as it has at least 8 GB of RAM, at least a GTX 950M, and an HDD (You really do not want to go SSD-only on gaming laptops, unless you can live with the loss of space. Games are huge these days)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well by the way 4gb ram is barely enough for mainstream games i mean barely.

Yeah, though if it's not an ultraportable gaming laptop, chances are you should be able to source an additional 4GB stick on the cheap. :)

Years
    I've never seen a laptop within anyone's affordable price range play games smoothly at max settings, but at least with a desktop, you can get dedicated graphics for gaming, unlike many laptops.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've never seen a laptop within anyone's affordable price range play games smoothly at max settings, but at least with a desktop, you can get dedicated graphics for gaming, unlike many laptops.

I think you meant add-in. :)

Laptops can also come with mobile dedicated chips, though usually you can't ever change it.

Either way, yes, you do get more power and upgradability with an equivalent price desktop, but you can't use a desktop in class. Sometimes, you can think of loss of mobility as the ultimate price. :)

If I were you, I would also make sure that the CPU is at least a quad-core Intel Core model. Usually should be easy to spot by a Q suffix in the model names of CPUs. X and K also count, but at that price range you're not seeing any Extreme or unlocked parts. Even an i5-6300HQ is more than enough.

Just make sure the memory accompanying the GTX 950M, if it's a 950M, is of the GDDR5 variety if the monitor res is higher than 768p. DDR3 VRAM really stinks ay high-res anything.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm running Skyrim on Ultra-High settings at a very consistent 60FPS, I only rarely have minor framerate drops. If I jump over to Linux, I'm getting sky-high FPS in Minecraft (Literally), and I have yet to try a few other games that have been better-written for Windows.

Mmm! Usually hardware power is non-issue these days. And since you can get a 940M or 950M on relatively affordable laptops, the only reason you'd need to forego the power is if you want an Ultrabook or convertible laptop. I don't think they're worth it without having a powerful "main" computer.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1127-well-rounded-gaming-laptop/ is a good place to start reading about what to see in a higher-end laptop, but when combined with the talk here you should be able to find something in the high-end multimedia/budget gaming.

Perhaps it's a good idea to throw out links to laptops you're interested in. Or if you figure that you really want a desktop, tell us, and I'll try to make an appropriate PCPP list.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I guess my biggest concern is portability. I found an ASUS laptop last night at Fry's Electronics that is well below the price range I want ($1,100 is my budget). It had an i5, 12 GB memory, and a good graphics driver (AMD Radeon HD, don't know the exact gen, with 2 GB). It was $600, but I wondered why it was so low. I couldn't find any flaws about it.

Since I'm almost rarely at home, I'm better off buying a gaming laptop. I still require that portability where I can just take my PC gaming with me all around. But looking at my boyfriend's experience who currently owns a Lenovo IdeaPad Y540 (?) (i7, 2 GB Nvidia graphics driver, 8 GB memory), I'm trying to stay away from those kinds since they actually overheat when you run games at high settings. So maybe I'm just picky on brand after all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back