• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Pfff, I should have known that no one would read my long post. Bay! Astinus! Where are you, you read my last long post!
I read it. I just went to bad after that then tired to get back on this morning but got nothing but DBEs. And then I get back from my C.E.R.T. training and see several pages of arguing, I'm going to state now that I read some of if then said "screw it".
NO CAKE FOR ANYONE! BAH!

And it was a beautiful cake too.
But I wanted some of da cake D':
So I just finished the initial draft of TRINITY chapter 5 and good fraking lord does it have a ton of dialogue. It's one of those chapters that I need to both introduce a lot of new stuff and tie all of it into old stuff that needs to be recapped to an extent before I move on with the plot, so...yeah. It doesn't help that a good part of the chapter is of two new characters questioning Tashima about what the hell went on up to that point, and then going on to explain their plan for the future.

What's terrible is that the next chapter may also end up with loads of dialogue as it'll probably be focused on developing the three new characters I introduced with this chapter further. Arrow, Ava, and Kyle... Be glad I changed Kyle's name from what it used to be: Andy. I think I may have mentioned in here before that I was introducing an androgynous new character soon. Well, that would be Arrow. And he's just crazy it turns out. And a Ditto. Yeah, I don't think you see those in fanfics too much.

So... TRINITY chapter 5. Expect it this weekend, all few of you who actually read it (Yes, I'm looking at you Typhlosion/random Japanese garble). You'd think winning the SWC would do more for my popularity. <_<

What does it take to be popular here?! ;_;
whooohooo... Don't make fun of my name and... iknowright =/

When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?

I secound guess my self to much and I'm WAY to hard on my self. If it don't look perfect to me I stop writing it and then I fall of the face of the forum like so.

Why do Pokemon obey their trainers, especially if they know they are going to loose or get hurt?
Maybe I should reword the question: Why do Pokemon obey their trainers when they are first caught?

I know that some pokemon in the anime have not *coughBuizelcough* but say why is that if you go and catch a pokemon in the wild, how come it is that it will listen to you right away.

I'm not asking for you option about the cannon, but why does said happen in your fic?

I had said that in my post X_x Am I the only one who reads my own posts?

I guess so. :D

From now on, I am going to be answer topics for the main character in my up coming fic, which is pokemon POV

What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?

Well I would have to say that it would be water and ground type attacks. ;)

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
According to Babelfish, your name is [bakuhun. Including the bracket. But I'll just call you Fuzzbutt.

Accoroding to bulbapedia, its Bakphoon, or Bakufun if you go the google route. I don't mind if you call me Buoysel, Bak, Phoon, Zack, hell I'll even go by KC, but fuzzbutt? o.O

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?
Ruin Lisa's clothes, deprive her of restaurant food, or force her to sleep anywhere without "Inn", "Suites" or "Hotel" in the name, and you render her uber math skills useless and reduce her to a yelling, whining 105 pound blob of annoyance.

And hand her a loss at anything and the result will be crying and a lengthy monologue about how she's not cut out to do anything right.

ha ha. I'm so reading your story next. :P Lisa sounds interesting.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
No. A game-play feature is a feature used to play the game. Like, using the stylus to make poffin. NPCs however are NOT gameplay features, they are a part of the game itself, and hence the canon of it. If he's a feature, then every other character is a feature. This character is most definitely in-universe...

Really - he's not pseudo canon - he's canon. Just because he is odd in how he acts to a degree in your opinion (like the REST of the franchise) doesn't change a thing. =/
He's pseudo-canon in the sense that he's a gameplay device placed into the game to act as a mediator between player and gameplay... He describes your Pokemon and their level of friendliness. Considering Pokemon is about friendship and relationships, and things such as a friendship are encouraged to develop, he's obviously a feature placed in their to give you an indication of where you stand. His function is the same as turning around and seeing how your Pikachu feels in Yellow.

There are three types of canon in the Pokemon series: old canon (the main games), new canon (things that are clarified or expanded upon in remakes and the third games of each generation), and gameplay features (things that are in the games solely as gameplay mechanics. The presence of the legendary beasts in FrLg are gameplay mechanics; clearly the beasts are one-of-a-kind, so they're only in FrLg as a mechanic to let you catch them... They're outside canon)

Firstly, wouldn't the trained Pokemon have to worry about it? A trainer offers help and all - so what if they don't preform? They would be released again into the wild again, 'logically' for a stronger Pokemon if the trainer got another. Or left in the box never to interact with others again, possibly, if one was to take that line. So they would have something to worry about, no? It's not battling for no purpose - at the very least, they value it because it makes them stronger, and they get to travel about - not performing would put that at risk, or make them feel like they weren't doing enough for their trainer who does all of this for them.
If a Pokemon refused to battle and was released into the wild, I would have to say that, you know, maybe they wanted to be relased.

Some Pokemon want to be trained. Some don't. Isn't there a possibility that some Pokemon are caught and forced to battle? The corrupted Pokemon in XD are an extreme, canon, example of this... Couldn't the badges and Pokeballs serve a milder function? That purpose is surely hinted at in the main games and manga, right?

Either way - you stated they do not fight in the wild - yet they do. I hardly think the fact they do it for different reasons (which is obviously the case due to a different lifestyle, environment, etc) really matters here on your previous statements. =/ Nor how it has anything to do with how they are brainwashed or not.
I didn't state they don't fight in the wild... I said they don't fight in the wild for no reason. I've yet to see any example, in the games, manga, or anime, that suggests Pokemon battle each other for no reason other than the sake of battling. (Fighting types are an obvious exception)

Then why is it not a legendary Pokemon in any of the games, listed at the end of the Pokedex, with high stats, made a deal about it, and treated as such by Game Freak or anything else? It is not a legendary Pokemon like, say Lugia or Dialga or Heatran, etc - I don't see where you're getting this from. =/ In fact, I just denied it. I'd go in more depth on why they are not legendary Pokemon drawing comparisons and all, but I don't feel like wasting my time on this point, tbh. Nor does this concern the supposed brainwashing of Pokemon, either.
All of that "requirements" for a Pokemon to be a legendary are fanbased... Really, why was Lucario given its own movie, and featured in the Rise of Darkrai opening montage with every other legendary? Lucario is not a legendary, yet it has been presented as one since day one.

In the Japanese version there are three distinct classes of legendary that are not divided in the translation. These are Pokemon of "legend", "mirage", and "myth". Arcanine is a legendary because it falls under the scope of legend, whereas Slowpoke is because it falls under "myth".

Let's just say there is still nothing showing in the games Pokemon are brainwashed, no matter what humans are now wired to do as well. =/ Nor how that does not mean chimps are wired to do the same things (monkeys =/= humans! or Pokemon!). Also, Growlithe is NOT automatically loyal like a dog. Mistreat a dog, you get bitten by it. And what about the other Pokemon mentioned? Again don't feel like going on this point atm, as there really is just a heap wrong with it... =/
Growlithe appears to be loyal like a dog. The 'Dex entries suggest this. And yes, a dog will bite you if mistreated, but that doesn't mean they aren't inherently loyal. They were bred for that quality. All I'm saying is that certain Pokemon may have a specific temperament, or nature.

And yet it still isn't the game. It's a different canon entirely, and you seem to skip over that point. Even if I went and had a two-month talk with the creators of Pokemon on their franchise, got their thoughts, looked at all of the work and so forth, and then did something based off of it - it's still a different canon to the games, for it isn't the games itself that's made by Game Freak and all.
If they're using the exact notes used for the game, how is it a different canon? Come on... Granted some aspects like the character of Yellow are different, but the deep down mechanics of the universe, such as badges and Team Rocket, are clearly expressed in the manga as intended. In the manga, Team Rocket cloned Mewtwo and the project was headed by Blaine. In FrLg, a painting is found in the Mansion of Blaine with Fuji (Lavender Town philanthropist and anime scientist). Either this is the biggest easter egg ever, or it's shared canon.

And the methods used in purification? They had a large absence of brainwashing there - just battling and kindness and so forth. No brainwashing. And no evidence for it anywhere.
I really have no idea. All I've read and heard about the game was the grey morality of stealing and brainwashing, and it was always placed on the main character. Take it up with the pissed fans.

This seems to be your common argument - 'what if _____ was the case? You can't say it's not possible!' But you can't argue a debate like this, particularly when I'm talking about what is actually proven by canon or not. Your theories are not proven by canon, so for you to show me that, you would have to show it. The theory stands, and so does any other theory I or anyone could pull out of thin air 9for instance - Apricorns eat the souls of Pokemon put into them and replaced with their own so Kurt can have world conquest. You can't disprove it, but it's not supported at all by canon!), and yet they are just interpretations - possibilities, not the actual thing. If that's what you are arguing, then there's no need for I am talking about something else, and there's no way a fan theory = canon if it's unsupported by canon itself.
You're getting a little too into this. All I'm saying is stuffing a Pokemon into a nut has got to be magical. There's no denying this... Unless you think it's technological?

First off, he didn't give it to you to specifically catch Mewtwo - it could be used on any Pokemon. Mewtwo was never mentioned. It was also thanks for, you know, saving the company from Team Rocket and Giovanni and him probably figuring giving it to someone who just beat TR would be a smarter choice than keeping it there under risk from TR. So it was never made to specifically capture Mewtwo and brainwash him. The player doesn't even know about Mewtwo at that stage.
The Master Ball was specifically designed to catch powerful Pokemon that no other ball could catch. Its design must therefore be different from the others, and with the whole Beserk Gene thing, it makes sense that it rewrites the DNA when digitizing... It's a farfetched theory, but it makes sense.

I can't agree with your statements which basically are declaring the main games as uncanon because they have a few extensions to the plot. They're all done by Game Freak, the official makers of the game - but I feel you will not budge from this, which is a pity... if it's an official game, and part of the main series to boot, then it's canon. Most other fans would agree, I'm sure.
I didn't say they're not canon... They're alternate canon. Or possibly new canon. See the above definitions.

But then where did the myths come from? Myths are a theory by people on how so-and-so happened, etc. And the myths came from... people in Sinnoh, and can be read by people in Sinnoh in published books in a very-well-regarded library in Sinnoh (many dealing with the legendary Pokemon of the lake Uxie, etc, and so forth, which were thought to be mythical as well!) So, how can they not be used as evidence on how people viewed Pokemon history and Pokemon themselves? Sure, they are not necessarily fact they they do reflect views people actually had, no? And again - they're not a feature, they're part of the game itself, within the game's canon and establishment with how things happened.
They came about because of people. I'm not denying, and never did, that the myths are a strong part of the canon.... I'm just saying myth can't be used to give an accurate idea of perception of any given thing. Many animals are held to be sacred or even god-like in our myths, yet treated like lowly animals in daily life. The same can be thought true of Pokemon myths, considering the humans are still humans.

At any rate, it's gotten far more mention than any brain-washing theory, which has just come from you putting a few things together and adding speculation. Your theories =/= canon, and if you don't prove that they are, there isn't any point going over this any more. =/ All of these points end up involving something not shown clearly and solely in game canon. and involve speculation, if you look at it. Based on a lot of dialogue and game plots and so forth - stuff ACTUALLY in the games, I can't honestly not see how Pokemon are not portrayed as being more than animals who are brainwashed - the game directly states it in multiple cases, like footprint-man telling the trainer what they thoughts are (how do all of those other people manage to tell if your Pokemon is happy or not, or give Wailords a haircut? Try to apply real-world 'logic' to that and a whole lot more...). Feel free to disregard certain points of canon and call them features when they aren't, but then you're just refusing to look at facts, and official canon/games made by Game Freak, and still not showing how they could be brainwashing Pokemon without showing something straight from the games. And going about disregarding official games or dismissing characters because they contradict you isn't any way to strengthen your argument. =/
I don't actually believe Pokemon are brainwashed. I just used the term to broaden the scope of what I do believe, which is that badges have some influence over Pokemon. The games hint at, and the manga states, that the badges have a subtle influence over Pokemon. I think brainwashing is just stupid, since it goes against the entire point of the series.

I've clarified my views on canon and everything else above.

And that's why I don't actually pay attention to him anymore (unless, of course, people PM me to say, "lulz, Jax, there's a debate going on in the FFL, and it's hilarious"). That and it's generally more entertaining, as I've just learned, to step back and watch three other people take care of the debate department instead of handle it all by my lonesome.

(Although I am lulzing over the "game that's definitely official, with the official Nintendo seal and everything isn't canon when the creators pretty much stated that it is just because you don't see Officer Jennies running around when only one was ever shown in Yellow and just because you don't see the same pink-haired nurse over and over again everywhere when, yeah, from the third gen onward, you do" statement. Holy Jesus, guys. That just made my morning. Sure, I skimmed and found other reasons to cackle madly, like the part about how his credentials are centered around fan speculation threads in a forum that's been filled with WTF logic on a frequent basis, but... yeah. That part was just gold right there. That and the "Special is based on Game Freak's notes" statement while ignoring the fact that Electric Tales was based on the anime staff's notes but went in a completely different direction and is therefore not considered the same as the anime's continuity. And, of course, considering we've got the "you don't see Nurse Joys running around so Yellow is completely not canon" part, we might as well say "you don't see Amarillo del Bosque Verde running around so manga is what, guys?" part. Yay consistency in logical explanation! Oh, and the part about apricorns = magical without realizing the process to their creation hasn't ever actually been detailed and could just be reliant on science in the same way a Poké Ball relies on it. That was good too. And I like his use of the phrase "common theory" when, usually, no one involved in the fandom actually thinks that way. But, you know, mostly just the canon discussion amuses me.)

One problem here: Electric Tale was not based on any notes used by the anime. They gave him synopses and left him to figure out the rest. There's a clear difference to a manga extrapolated from a non-canon source and a manga based outright on notes from a canon source. Get your facts straight, Jaxie poo.

As for the rest of what you've said, why don't you get off your high horse and "ignore me" more directly, if you get such amusement from anything I say.

All snowflakes are special. All my characters are therefore individual, special, and have problems. All have strengths and weaknesses, some more apparent than others while some are subtly done. I don't need outright kryptonite since I'd consider that a bad character device.

You write science fiction? Well I write science fiction too. What does that have to do with anything? They all have a different scientific meaning and if you refuse to accept that and insist on only using what is popularly culturally accepted be my guest but I won't be able to take anything you say seriously in that regard. They are all different and applicable as they each have a separate connotation of how a being thinks and perceives things, and since I'm arguing that Pokemon are intelligent Pokemon, they must have all three of them at least as I went over before. Hell, I'm not even sure if you're reading everything I'm writing as I sort of went over how I view Pokemon as being both sapient and self-aware.
Sentient means "self-aware". Sapient means "wise". A sentient being can be sapient (the many learned humans), but a sapient being must always be sentient... You can't be one or the other.

You don't seem to understand canon very well then, especially with how you outright say all you really know about is first and second gen and the manga. And stop saying that anything you don't like that happened after those games isn't canon. They are.
I never said that nothing after second gen wasn't canon... Third gen is my favorite generation.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong oh so wrong. Seriously, why are you so thick? To be an intelligent, fully conscious being you must be sentient (which humans are), sapient (which humans also are), and self-aware (which humans definitely are), along with probably a bunch of other terms I don't know as I'm just a computer science major with an interest in some other sciences as well. A Pokemon COULD NOT be intelligent on the level of a human as I am arguing without being sentient, sapient, and self-aware which is what I have been trying to say this entire time but you keep blowing off.
Ants are very commonly compared to a computer, with each ant forming a biological component of switches... They can compute a lot of things, but surely you don't believe ants are sentient?

Chimps have near-human intelligence, and have been noted to conduct strategy for war, making tools, and art... Yet they have no concept of teaching their young, of cooperation for the benefit of the whole, and are severely patriarchal with the females raped. Their intelligence is specialized. I would argue that they're sentient, but not sapient. Possibly not even self-aware.

Because they're hardwired to like fighting, something which I'm pretty sure was established in the anime and perhaps even the games someplace. Does it make sense in comparison to the real world? No, not really, but that Pokemon simply like fighting each other is a part of that canon you find oh so precious and if you value canon that much you better learn to accept that.
Many animals are wired for fighting. The army ant, for instance, regularly marches across Africa devouring everything in its path and dragging their queen until her legs are bloody stumps. They live only for food, killing anything in their path. (A very humanlike quality, eh?) This seemed to be hardwiring for something.

And again your lack of knowledge and refusal to research comes through. In Orre there are no gyms except for a student gym that doesn't actually give badges or serve any purpose other than training. In Orre, there are hardly even any wild Pokemon until later in XD. And no, you character didn't come from another region. In Colosseum it's said that the Espeon and Umbreon you start with have been with Wes for years, and in XD the Eevee you start with has been Michael's friend throughout childhood. All other Pokemon you get are shadow Pokemon you then purify, but they still follow you probably because they kind of owe their life to you.
I have done research. I own the game. And, once again, I keep saying that some instances loyalty and friendship reign supreme. Eevee are domesticated starters, so they're obviously going to love their trainer.

Yes. It. Is. Perhaps not withing the normal game canon, but it is definitely at the very least it's own canon all to it's own that crosses the mechanics of the game canon with the plot of the anime. And why do you keep acting as if the anime isn't canon? It's just as canon as everything else, even if it pretty much singlehandedly smashes your entire argument.
It's not game canon. It's anime canon. There's different lines of continuity, which don't always intersect.

...How does something being a bipedal humanoid mean they're related to humans? You write sci-fi so you must be fully aware of the vast number of humanoids in sci-fi. Say, Klingons and Vulcans. Are they also related to humans because they look like us? Does either of them even think anything like humans?
Actually, they are. Several episodes explain that all the humanoid beings in the Milky Way were implanted by an ancestor race that prodded evolution along with preprogrammed DNA.

But Star Trek is hardly real hard science fiction, and I don't watch it anymore. I only read soft science fiction, and ones that rarely deal with aliens.

Canon. Does not. Work that way. You can't pick and choose things based off any abstract notion you want. Breeding is a gameplay feature, so it's not canon? Dawn's new Cyndaquil, spawn of the devil that it is, must not be canon either! Shocking! The whole aspect of catching Pokemon and training them is a gameplay feature. The entire games are gameplay features!
Breeding is canon, because they're explicitly referenced by other people in the game. A gameplay feature is separated from that by either never being mentioned or being mentioned in a very vague way. Pikachu not being able to evolve in Yellow is a feature because it was never explained... The footpring guy is a feature because he occupies his own little world and his sole purpose is providing insight into things requring features: friendship.

And why can't Pokemon be wired to enjoy fighting just for fun?
Never said they can't be. Animals play-fight as young all the time.

The only place they're absent in the wild is the games. In the anime they're fully present in the wild. And that they're not in the wild in the games is a gameplay feature! It's so players need to trade more to complete their Pokedex and so, especially according to what you said earlier, isn't canon.
I know. That is a gameplay feature, one of which I've brought up before. Starters being domesticated or zooed was a personal fan theory, which I never meant to be taken as fact.

The nuts have nothing to do with catching Pokemon. They just act as a shell, that Kirt then puts the actual electronics and mechanical stuff in. The only difference between them and modern Pokeballs is that modern ones are made of synthetic plastic and use more sophisticated electronics, while Apricorn balls are handmade with a more wooden shell.
That's never stated in the games. I find it hard to believe that a hundreds of years system of making Pokeballs out of nuts incorporated electronics.

...How...how would that...even work? Even if something's genetic code was rewritten, it wouldn't just shed the original DNA or something. Even if it did you couldn't see it, DNA is sort of really really really small you know.
Stem cell is kinda, you know, visible.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
He's pseudo-canon in the sense that he's a gameplay device placed into the game to act as a mediator between player and gameplay... He describes your Pokemon and their level of friendliness. Considering Pokemon is about friendship and relationships, and things such as a friendship are encouraged to develop, he's obviously a feature placed in their to give you an indication of where you stand. His function is the same as turning around and seeing how your Pikachu feels in Yellow.
How do I put this. IF IT IS IN A POKEMON GAME IT IS CANON. Truth.

There are three types of canon in the Pokemon series: old canon (the main games), new canon (things that are clarified or expanded upon in remakes and the third games of each generation), and gameplay features (things that are in the games solely as gameplay mechanics. The presence of the legendary beasts in FrLg are gameplay mechanics; clearly the beasts are one-of-a-kind, so they're only in FrLg as a mechanic to let you catch them... They're outside canon)
There are multiple types of canon in the Pokemon world, yes. There is game canon. All things within the games are gospel, per se. Then there is anime canon. Everything in the anime is truth unless it directly contradicts the games, in which case the games take preference. Then there's manga canon, which more often than not doesn't even pretend to be associated with the game or the anime. That's a totally different story imo.

If a Pokemon refused to battle and was released into the wild, I would have to say that, you know, maybe they wanted to be relased.

Some Pokemon want to be trained. Some don't. Isn't there a possibility that some Pokemon are caught and forced to battle? The corrupted Pokemon in XD are an extreme, canon, example of this... Couldn't the badges and Pokeballs serve a milder function? That purpose is surely hinted at in the main games and manga, right?
This is just getting into ethics. Everyone has their own view on that, so I won't argue with you on this count.

I didn't state they don't fight in the wild... I said they don't fight in the wild for no reason. I've yet to see any example, in the games, manga, or anime, that suggests Pokemon battle each other for no reason other than the sake of battling. (Fighting types are an obvious exception)
But that's just it! Pokemon have to battle each other to survive, get food, win mates, protect their territory. Fighting is a natural instinct that's built into all of them.

You're getting a little too into this. All I'm saying is stuffing a Pokemon into a nut has got to be magical. There's no denying this... Unless you think it's technological?
You're the one reading too far into this. Can't you just accept that it happens, and it happens because Taijiri-sama wanted it to happen?

The Master Ball was specifically designed to catch powerful Pokemon that no other ball could catch. Its design must therefore be different from the others, and with the whole Beserk Gene thing, it makes sense that it rewrites the DNA when digitizing... It's a farfetched theory, but it makes sense.
I don't think so. I think the only difference is that it's so much stronger than any other Poke Ball, so nothing is able to break out of it.

As for the rest of what you've said, why don't you get off your high horse and "ignore me" more directly, if you get such amusement from anything I say.
How is anyone supposed to ignore you more directly? That's a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Sorry, Fuzzybutt. I should have screenshotted it, shouldn't I have, Fuzzybutt?
But it doesn't matter, does it, Fuzzybutt? Because now, Fuzzybutt, I can just call you Fuzzybutt till I get tired of it, Fuzzybutt. Seeing as I can't read your username and all, Fuzzybutt.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
How do I put this. IF IT IS IN A POKEMON GAME IT IS CANON. Truth.
Yes, that's true, but there are different levels of canon. Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are obviously different canon than the main games.

But that's just it! Pokemon have to battle each other to survive, get food, win mates, protect their territory. Fighting is a natural instinct that's built into all of them.
But all of those are for reasons. To survive, get food, and win mates. You don't see Nidoking saying "Hey, why don't we have a little sporting game of boxing, eh mate?"

You're the one reading too far into this. Can't you just accept that it happens, and it happens because Taijiri-sama wanted it to happen?
By definition, if you can't explain something than it's magic. I'm not saying wizards and unicorns... I'm just saying unexplainable.

How is anyone supposed to ignore you more directly? That's a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one.
Well she said she just "ignores" me now, yet she makes a public post talking "at" me? She knows I'm going to see it, so if she was really ignoring me she'd keep her opinion to private channels.

Misheard Whisper

Years
That is awesome. :D :D So what does Bakufun mean then?
Yes, that's true, but there are different levels of canon. Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are obviously different canon than the main games.
And again, those are gospel unless they distinctly contradict the main games. Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier that I meant the main series (ie R/B/G/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/Pt) when I said 'Pokemon games'.

But all of those are for reasons. To survive, get food, and win mates. You don't see Nidoking saying "Hey, why don't we have a little sporting game of boxing, eh mate?"
What's to say they don't do that? You can't disprove it.

By definition, if you can't explain something than it's magic. I'm not saying wizards and unicorns... I'm just saying unexplainable.
Don't give me 'by definition'.

Dictionary said:
mag⋅ic

/ˈmædʒ
thinsp.png
ɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [maj-ik] Show IPA Use magic in a Sentence

See web results for magic

See images of magic

–noun 1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic. 2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic. 3. the use of this art: Magic, it was believed, could drive illness from the body. 4. the effects produced: the magic of recovery. 5. power or influence exerted through this art: a wizard of great magic.
Hate to steal this, but it's awesome. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Definition+of+magic

Well she said she just "ignores" me now, yet she makes a public post talking "at" me? She knows I'm going to see it, so if she was really ignoring me she'd keep her opinion to private channels.
That's not indirect ignoring, that's tactful ignoring, with a hint of snark.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
What's to say they don't do that? You can't disprove it.
Canon. I recall the games and anime saying Pokemon don't fight unless humans tell them to.

Don't give me 'by definition'.

Hate to steal this, but it's awesome. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Definition+of+magic
"Magic" is often used to explain things that can't be explained in science fiction.

That's not indirect ignoring, that's tactful ignoring, with a hint of snark.
It's neither. It's outright trolling.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Canon. I recall the games and anime saying Pokemon don't fight unless humans tell them to.
Then you're disproving all your arguments about how they fight over territory etc. Either that, or be more specific.

"Magic" is often used to explain things that can't be explained in science fiction.
/unfounded generalisation

It's neither. It's outright trolling.
Borderline, but I wouldn't say trolling. Just Jax-chan's usual snark.

bobandbill

one more time
Years

You state he is a gameplay device, but what he says is not a gameplay device by rather canon information. Stop ignoring other points raised that contradict yours, it just gets tiring to read very quickly. Same for what Pikachu tells you how it feels in Yellow (or any Pokemon in HG/SS) - you interacting with them is a feature, what they say and show and do is canon and not a feature, or pseudo-canon, or whatever you'll call it next.

Also, the legendary beasts is not a game mechanic solely, as canon can derive from it. On a related note, the fact that you see the Kanto Legendary birds not only in RBY/FRLG but also in Platinum and HG/SS AND Pokemon XD tells us more info about the nature of them, perhaps the fact there appears to be multiple, and so forth - they cannot be simply dismissed as mere gameplay mechanics. Nor can the 'new canon', as you call it, simply be disregarded - it's canon in the main games, and again, that's what this debate is about.
Or maybe they want to battle but are just too weak? Or... well, let's just say there's more than one way to go about it.
Yes, there's a possibility. But this is not shown in canon. Again, we are not debating the possibility of it, but rather if it is supported and claimed in canon and canon only, not interpretations of it involving ideas from us people outside of the group making the games. And as far as canon shows, the badges and Pokeballs do not brainwash or do these things at all - that was your idea, so again, these are really just worthless points as they do nothing to convince me they came solely from canon.

If you are going to give me points about 'oh, this could happen', or anything that comes from speculation and not cold hard facts, then I don't really see any point repeating myself and pointing that out. =/
Then you are suggesting that Pokemon battle for trainers 'for no reason' or for no personal gain and from that said brainwashing occurred - and again, the games do not support this whatsoever - and clearly so they they do battle for trainers for many reasons. Even fighting types don't do it for no reason - they do it to get stronger, to make themselves better, and so forth. That's hardly 'no reason' at all. Only you ignore the fact by calling things pseudo-canon or features, which is just refusing to accept canon. (The debate that 'so-and-so don't fight for no reason whatsoever' doesn't really matter for your argument, as far as I can see, at any rate...)
All of that "requirements" for a Pokemon to be a legendary are fanbased... Really, why was Lucario given its own movie, and featured in the Rise of Darkrai opening montage with every other legendary? Lucario is not a legendary, yet it has been presented as one since day one.
Movie =/= legendary Pokemon though - clearly Lucario was used as it was the 'Pokemon of the generation!' and was decided to be the promotion Pokemon, much like many others. (Because Munchlax got into a movie, does it make it a legendary then? Pikachu's been in every single one with lots of significance! Is it legendary? No.) So... we have concluded that Lucario is not a legendary. And this proves... what? Again there's a lack of relevance of this to anything else in this debate really, and going by this to then claim any Pokemon can be a legendary like Slowpoke is just plain silly and a waste of time to go over.

In the Japanese version there are three distinct classes of legendary that are not divided in the translation. These are Pokemon of "legend", "mirage", and "myth". Arcanine is a legendary because it falls under the scope of legend, whereas Slowpoke is because it falls under "myth".
And now you've gone way off-course and altered what I defined as a legendary. I'm not talking about myth Pokemon, or Pokemon based on legends. So I'm not going to bother - you;ve completely missed the point and this again has naught to do with anything.
Growlithe appears to be loyal like a dog. The 'Dex entries suggest this. And yes, a dog will bite you if mistreated, but that doesn't mean they aren't inherently loyal. They were bred for that quality. All I'm saying is that certain Pokemon may have a specific temperament, or nature.
Again - how could Growlithe be bred when canonically they only just learnt about breeding and don't even know that Pokemon hatched from eggs until the start of GSC/HG/SS and just before D/P/Pt? And again - you say 'oh, they may have...', and that again is speculation and is not backed up in canon in relation to your brainwashing theory, nor anything else. So again - what's the point of saying that?
If they're using the exact notes used for the game, how is it a different canon? Come on... Granted some aspects like the character of Yellow are different, but the deep down mechanics of the universe, such as badges and Team Rocket, are clearly expressed in the manga as intended. In the manga, Team Rocket cloned Mewtwo and the project was headed by Blaine. In FrLg, a painting is found in the Mansion of Blaine with Fuji (Lavender Town philanthropist and anime scientist). Either this is the biggest easter egg ever, or it's shared canon.
There you go - it's different because there are differences, and furthermore was written by different people, even if they used information from the games and games notes and whatnot. Heck, Blaine working for TR is a HUGE difference and very clearly separates it from game canon where he is merely a gym leader. A picture does not prove anything as you are speculating over what it could mean - again bring in your speculation and interpretations. (Not to mention it probably is just a reference or easter egg which usually happens anyway - in D/P/Pt real-world references are made in dex entries (but that's happened since GSC if not the 1st gen), battlers have been known to call others 'noob', and there are often references to other canons or games within games - such as a trainer in XD who talks about how there is apparently someone with the same Pokemon as himself - and someone with those Pokemon is James from the anime. Yet these are clearly very different canons, and Pokemon XD =/= anime).

They are most definitely not the same canon - they differ and are done by different people. Again, using the same basic of info does not make it the same as it is interpreted and subjected to subjective speculation from different people entirely.
I really have no idea. All I've read and heard about the game was the grey morality of stealing and brainwashing, and it was always placed on the main character. Take it up with the pissed fans.
...the pissed fans? What pissed fans? Or do you mean the people here who are annoyed at how wrongly you interpreted Colosseum/XD? Next time then if you want to use something for a debate, get your facts straight about the games. Rather, go play them, and some more of the recent games - as passing off stuff you don't know about as pseudo-canon can't be good, to be frank, if you debate on such stuff regularly. =/
Well clearly, other people have stated it could be - and it's Pokemon - which does not state anything about brainwashing and instead has other information. Your theories aren't backed up in it, and in fact how Apricorns work can be left up to a person's mind easily enough - and hence your statement that it 'has to be magical' is merely a theory, and saying it brainwashes is even more so. And we're not arguing whether it's possible or not, but rather whether it is the case or not from canon and canon alone.
Yes - it is. Exactly that - a theory. So therefore, it is not shown in canon. (If anything, canon just shows the Master Ball to be a better version of the Pokeball that will always work on a wild Pokemon - nothing more is every indicated about it). So again - no evidence... and no point to this - as you say so yourself, it's a theory, and hence it is not support in canon without choosing select details and adding speculation of your own. And I do not care for that - as I said already, any theory can be made up, but this itself is not within canon and canon alone.
I didn't say they're not canon... They're alternate canon. Or possibly new canon. See the above definitions.
And you're ignoring this because it's new and you haven't seen it for yourself? Stop passing off official games as different canon and make it out to be less important (which you are doing) because they're newer and contradict your arguments.
They came about because of people. I'm not denying, and never did, that the myths are a strong part of the canon.... I'm just saying myth can't be used to give an accurate idea of perception of any given thing. Many animals are held to be sacred or even god-like in our myths, yet treated like lowly animals in daily life. The same can be thought true of Pokemon myths, considering the humans are still humans.
You were coming off as saying that these did not count whatsoever, when they actually do as unlike certain other theories, they got mention in official games, and can also be support by many other instances from within these official games as well.
I don't actually believe Pokemon are brainwashed. I just used the term to broaden the scope of what I do believe, which is that badges have some influence over Pokemon. The games hint at, and the manga states, that the badges have a subtle influence over Pokemon. I think brainwashing is just stupid, since it goes against the entire point of the series.
They why did you argue it so much and pass it off as supported in the canon when it isn't?
I've clarified my views on canon and everything else above.
I can't say I agree with them at all - they seem flawed at best, the way you keep ignoring certain kinds of canon and all. I've clarified that time and time again.
If you go about claiming Yellow isn't canon, what someone says within an official game is pseudo-canon because... you don't like it, claiming the opposite of what Pokemon Colosseum and XD actually show because you go off what you've heard about it and nothing more, and claiming the manga is the same in the games despite them being made by different people and being...well, different in many ways and hence they contradict each other! - then why are you annoyed that people reply about it and show where your flaws are, or even get amused by it? To be frank, many of these points were not well thought out and were poorly researched.

Oh, and:
And I recall multiple instances where the games (and anime) fight for many that never involve trainers. Did you already forget about those? As you said above, you then changed this to 'they dont fight for no reason' - so which one is it? Stop changing your viewpoint on a whim. As it is, I do believe the dex entries from the games and dialogue still stands. And no, the fact that the dex is a 'feature' does not make the information about the world given from it non-canon as well.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Dragonfree said:
Mm, I would argue the Apricorns themselves are definitely implied to have something to do with it. If they didn't, why would Kurt not be able to make any kind of ball out of any kind of Apricorn? The fact different Apricorns give you balls with different properties seems to indicate that the Apricorns themselves have some power to capture Pokémon.

I actually made a theory on this long ago, where Apricorns, as a defense mechanism against being eaten, contain some sort of material that disintegrates and traps Pokémon that touch it, with different subspecies doing this more effectively for different kinds of Pokémon. Modern-style Pokéballs then use a synthetic version of this basic substance as a base. Buuut that's just me.
Hmm, I could swear I read somewhere at some time that the apricorns just act as shells. They may still have special properties that are replicated in the synthetic materials modern Pokeballs are made out of, though, I guess.

The ironic thing here is that within TFC apricorns do have magical properties that allow it to contain Source Energy. Aeons ago the ancient humans, upon realizing this, developed a device that could essentially trap the aura of a living being within the Pokeball (aka, its soul). The body is then destroyed since the physical body has nothing to do with the individual being. When the Pokemon's released, the aura is able to reform the body on its own and there you have it, how Pokeballs work in TFC. The only real difference from canon is my integration of Source energy to explain how it happens, and the fact that only the aura is stored. Storing the body as well introduces problems with just how much volume the energy for all the mass of big Pokemon would take up. An interesting thing with this is that the only reason Pokeballs can't catch humans is because a lock was programmed into them that allowed them to only store beta-type Source Energy, but if it's overridden...

But yeah, we're talking official canon here.

Guy with gibberish name that supposedly says Bakphoon said:
whooohooo... Don't make fun of my name and... iknowright =/
I'm not making fun of it, I can't type out Japanese characters and it would be too easy to just c/p your name. <_<

Name written in moonspeak stuff that I can barely read said:
Accoroding to bulbapedia, its Bakphoon, or Bakufun if you go the google route.
Or just, you know, Typhlosion

@Redstar: Good job, ignoring my entire friggin' post. Have you given up on me or something? Am I not worthy of arguing with now? You just don't want to face facts and answer some questions such as, primarily, how do you explain the "influencing" thing in light of the fact that your own Pokemon couldn't care less about how many badges you have? It's obvious you had no idea about that and that's not necessarily a bad thing as I didn't even realize it until fourth gen came out. But it's true, and undermines pretty much your entire point. I'd kind of like if you would acknowledge that.

Redstar said:
And, yet again, wrong. There are three canons in Pokemon, those being the game canon, manga canon, and anime canon. The age of the media has absolutely nothing to do with it's canonicity other than rather or not something's been retconned, such as badges no longer influencing stats.

Redstar said:
Isn't there a possibility that some Pokemon are caught and forced to battle?
No one's saying that not a single Pokemon is forced against it's will. Of course there will always be that evil trainer who forces his Pokemon to do things they don't necessarily want to do. The point is that it's completely ludicrous to believe that the entire population of the Earth in Pokemon are 100% okay with pushing around wild creatures like slaves.

Redstar said:
That purpose is surely hinted at in the main games and manga, right?
No. The only purposes the badges have are one, to get into the league, and two, to let traded Pokemon know you won't get them killed due to inexperience.

Redstar said:
Really, why was Lucario given its own movie, and featured in the Rise of Darkrai opening montage with every other legendary? Lucario is not a legendary, yet it has been presented as one since day one.
Marketing. Nintendo has probably made a shitload of cash off of the wild popularity of Lucario and so they kept and will keep pushing him. Why do you think he replaced Mewtwo in Brawl? Mewtwo has that cool factor but it's not very marketable. Lucario, on the other hand, is pretty much second only to Pikachu in how much dough it can pull in.

Redstar said:
In the Japanese version there are three distinct classes of legendary that are not divided in the translation
Have you thought that perhaps there's a reason for that? There are myths about Slowpoke, in one single town. That's it. The rest of the Pokemon world doesn't care anything about Slowpoke. Perhaps it can be considered legendary to Azalea, but to say generically that it's a legendary on the level of Lugia is preposterous.

Redstar said:
Perhaps you should do some more research before trying to argue something you're not familiar with. It's pretty basic.

Redstar said:
Mass is energy (e = mc^2). Mass can be converted to energy provided the technology exists (which it doesn't in our world but due to things such as teleporters and stuff in Pokemon, it obviously does there). The question is just how the Apricorn converts a Pokemon to energy, and that's never explained. When talking about canon I favor the explanation that the nut has little to do with the conversion process.

Redstar said:
Or they're just normal game canon and you have no right to go pushing around something into whatever category you want just because you disagree with it.

Redstar said:
Hindus and their worship of cows would like to have a word with you. Americans don't believe any myths saying animals are sacred, so you can't exactly base anything on us. I don't know of any European religion that has sacred animals either. The whole world doesn't think the exact same way. Watch some National Geographic some time, or Bizarre Food/World on the Travel Channel. You might learn some things.

Redstar said:
They're a side canon. Of course they're not the same as the main games but that's not even the whole the thing in question here. Stop derailing it.

Redstar said:
We can't explain why matter has mass. We theorize that it's the Higgs Boson that gives matter mass, but until the LHC gets up and working and actually churns out some results, we don't know why mass even exists. So mass is magic now?

Redstar said:
You seriously need your memory checked. Nowhere has that been said. If it has, prove it already. You keep on saying that this stuff is said everywhere when no one but you can recall when. So give us what you're seeing already.

Sparkling Dragon said:
So what does Bakufun mean then?
It's the romanized version of Typhlosion's Japanese name, the kana version being, well the Japanese characters I can't type.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Also, the legendary beasts is not a game mechanic solely, as canon can derive from it. On a related note, the fact that you see the Kanto Legendary birds not only in RBY/FRLG but also in Platinum and HG/SS AND Pokemon XD tells us more info about the nature of them, perhaps the fact there appears to be multiple, and so forth - they cannot be simply dismissed as mere gameplay mechanics. Nor can the 'new canon', as you call it, simply be disregarded - it's canon in the main games, and again, that's what this debate is about.
The Birds may or may not have multiples, but the Beasts and Mewtwo, for example, do not. The Beasts presence in FrLg and Mewtwo in HGSS aren't canon, because they were already caught. They're simply features included to allow you to catch them and shouldn't be treated as outright canon.

Or maybe they want to battle but are just too weak? Or... well, let's just say there's more than one way to go about it.
You only get stronger through fighting, so a Pokemon refusing to fight because they're too weak yet still somehow want to get stronger is a contradiction.

Then you are suggesting that Pokemon battle for trainers 'for no reason' or for no personal gain and from that said brainwashing occurred - and again, the games do not support this whatsoever - and clearly so they they do battle for trainers for many reasons. Even fighting types don't do it for no reason - they do it to get stronger, to make themselves better, and so forth. That's hardly 'no reason' at all. Only you ignore the fact by calling things pseudo-canon or features, which is just refusing to accept canon. (The debate that 'so-and-so don't fight for no reason whatsoever' doesn't really matter for your argument, as far as I can see, at any rate...)
And why do they want to get stronger? For mates, territory, food, etc. There's no Pokemon that wants to get stronger for the sake of getting stronger. That's all I'm saying.

Movie =/= legendary Pokemon though - clearly Lucario was used as it was the 'Pokemon of the generation!' and was decided to be the promotion Pokemon, much like many others. (Because Munchlax got into a movie, does it make it a legendary then? Pikachu's been in every single one with lots of significance! Is it legendary? No.) So... we have concluded that Lucario is not a legendary. And this proves... what? Again there's a lack of relevance of this to anything else in this debate really, and going by this to then claim any Pokemon can be a legendary like Slowpoke is just plain silly and a waste of time to go over.
That's exactly my point. I don't believe Lucario is a legendary, yet the movies states he is... The opening montage showed every single legendary Pokemon in the entire series... and Lucario. No other Pokemon was shown but the legendaries and Lucario. My point is that "legendary" is a fluid term that can be applied in any way and shouldn't be restricted to uber-tier, "get a movie" Pokemon.

Again - how could Growlithe be bred when canonically they only just learnt about breeding and don't even know that Pokemon hatched from eggs until the start of GSC/HG/SS and just before D/P/Pt? And again - you say 'oh, they may have...', and that again is speculation and is not backed up in canon in relation to your brainwashing theory, nor anything else. So again - what's the point of saying that?
I never said Growlithe are bred. If you read my post again, I said dogs are bred.

...the pissed fans? What pissed fans? Or do you mean the people here who are annoyed at how wrongly you interpreted Colosseum/XD?
I've never talked about Colosseum before now. All I've said are things I've read about the game, or I've seen my brother do when he plays the game.

And you're ignoring this because it's new and you haven't seen it for yourself? Stop passing off official games as different canon and make it out to be less important (which you are doing) because they're newer and contradict your arguments.
I never said new canon wasn't true. I just said it was new. FrLg and HGSS are new, or expanded, canon of the previous games. They're mor relevant than the previous games. Again, I never said I don't believe them or that they're different.

They why did you argue it so much and pass it off as supported in the canon when it isn't?
Because you started arguing with me about a throwaway post about how I feel about Pokemon intelligence.

And I recall multiple instances where the games (and anime) fight for many that never involve trainers. Did you already forget about those? As you said above, you then changed this to 'they dont fight for no reason' - so which one is it? Stop changing your viewpoint on a whim. As it is, I do believe the dex entries from the games and dialogue still stands. And no, the fact that the dex is a 'feature' does not make the information about the world given from it non-canon as well.
I haven't changed my viewpoint. From the very beginning I've said Pokemon don't fight for no reason in the wild.

@Redstar: Good job, ignoring my entire friggin' post. Have you given up on me or something? Am I not worthy of arguing with now? You just don't want to face facts and answer some questions such as, primarily, how do you explain the "influencing" thing in light of the fact that your own Pokemon couldn't care less about how many badges you have? It's obvious you had no idea about that and that's not necessarily a bad thing as I didn't even realize it until fourth gen came out. But it's true, and undermines pretty much your entire point. I'd kind of like if you would acknowledge that.
What are you talking about? I responded to your post.

Badges aren't necessary to influence Pokemon you caught yourself because you've already undergone the process of taming them. It would be rather redundant to smack a wolf and train it to be domesticated if you'd already raised it since a pup, and has already had the benefit of generations of breeding.

And, yet again, wrong. There are three canons in Pokemon, those being the game canon, manga canon, and anime canon. The age of the media has absolutely nothing to do with it's canonicity other than rather or not something's been retconned, such as badges no longer influencing stats.
Yes, exactly what I said. New canon is, once again, canon that has been expanded or retconned so takes precedence over older canon.

No one's saying that not a single Pokemon is forced against it's will. Of course there will always be that evil trainer who forces his Pokemon to do things they don't necessarily want to do. The point is that it's completely ludicrous to believe that the entire population of the Earth in Pokemon are 100% okay with pushing around wild creatures like slaves.
I never said that. I've said many times that Pokemon aren't always influenced by badges or Pokeballs, but sometimes by friendship or being raised.

No. The only purposes the badges have are one, to get into the league, and two, to let traded Pokemon know you won't get them killed due to inexperience.
The manga states that badges influence Pokemon, traded or not, to obey, as well as fuse Pokemon and summon a giant legendary. In-game, they also boost(ed) stats and allow you to use HMs.

Have you thought that perhaps there's a reason for that? There are myths about Slowpoke, in one single town. That's it. The rest of the Pokemon world doesn't care anything about Slowpoke. Perhaps it can be considered legendary to Azalea, but to say generically that it's a legendary on the level of Lugia is preposterous.
I never said Slowpoke was on the same level of Lugia. I made it my entire point that there are different levels and kinds of legendary, of which one kind Slowpoke is.

Mass is energy (e = mc^2). Mass can be converted to energy provided the technology exists (which it doesn't in our world but due to things such as teleporters and stuff in Pokemon, it obviously does there). The question is just how the Apricorn converts a Pokemon to energy, and that's never explained. When talking about canon I favor the explanation that the nut has little to do with the conversion process.
Pokemon aren't converted into energy... They're digitized. That's stated in canon with the whole, you know, putting them in computers thing. Converting them to energy would also violate the laws of thermodynamics.

Or they're just normal game canon and you have no right to go pushing around something into whatever category you want just because you disagree with it.
Again, I don't disagree with them.

Hindus and their worship of cows would like to have a word with you. Americans don't believe any myths saying animals are sacred, so you can't exactly base anything on us. I don't know of any European religion that has sacred animals either. The whole world doesn't think the exact same way. Watch some National Geographic some time, or Bizarre Food/World on the Travel Channel. You might learn some things.
The ancient Egyptians worshipped animals, as did the Sumerians, Babylonians, Aztecs, Mayans, and every other culture that marked the beginning of human civilization. Christians hold lambs sacred as representative of Christ, and shun snakes as representative of Satan. Animal symbology is alive and well, even if it isn't culturally obvious in day-to-day life... And that was exactly my point. (Also, Hindus don't worship cows. They simply hold them sacred)

They're a side canon. Of course they're not the same as the main games but that's not even the whole the thing in question here. Stop derailing it.
How am I derailing anything? I used examples to support my claims. Examples aren't the claim themselves.

We can't explain why matter has mass. We theorize that it's the Higgs Boson that gives matter mass, but until the LHC gets up and working and actually churns out some results, we don't know why mass even exists. So mass is magic now?
Exactly. We have theories. Theories are an attempt to rationalize and prove something... Outright magic is something that has no theories whatsoever for. It may be scientific, but is so beyond our current scientific method that not even logical theories can touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back