• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    For if you're going to keep on stating Yellow isn't canon (what people believe it isn't canon? I have never met any, clearly everyone else here thinks otherwise, and if they exist I don't... really want to meet them and go through this again only for them to continue ignoring valid points - it's a canon, maybe differing slightly to R/B but it is a perfectly legit canon in it's own, and part of the official games to boot),
    I've started a thread with poll asking people to vote and explain why they think Yellow version is canon. You just said yourself it differs from RB, so I expect you'd vote for "alternate continuity". I did. The thread can be found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5182588#post5182588

continuing to use breeding metaphors that don't apply to the Pokemon world and yet repeating them anyway like a broken record (if they don't apply, why use them?),
    I was using breeding as a euphemism for domestication, which did apply. Wild Pokemon are effectively tamed, or domesticated, in much the same fashion real-life animals are.

go on tangents that had nothing to do with the original points long ago, claim a character is still not canon because he's in his 'own world' (that incidently is part of the official games - 3 of them, in fact,
    I'm not arguing that the character himself isn't canon... What I'm arguing is that his role is non-canon. (It should be pointed out at this point, since people clearly don't get what I mean, is that when I say "non-canon" and so on I mean it didn't happen, not that it isn't a part of the world. Noah's flood is "non-canon" in much the same way... The story is real, but the event probably isn't) You can't possibly read a Pokemon's mind by looking at their footprints or even at their feet... It's far likely he just glanced at the Pokemon, noted they were happy, and made up a little story to go with it.

You keep saying I conveniently left things out... Well, you conveniently forgot to mention that the footprint man also says that wild Pokemon make fun of trained Pokemon for losing their wild instinct. This was my point all along: that not all Pokemon want to be trained, and the ones that are trained still may not want to be. Training requires the right temperament and mentality... Not all real-life animals can be domesticated.

We can't be blamed for reading and rebutting what you say. Heck, look at previous quotes of what you said, like in my previous post. If you truly didn't mean that, then you should have made yourself clear during the debate which you haven't yet done. Cheers for blaming that on providing points against what you said exactly, time and time again. =) Notice everytime I quote you, no? If I was twisting your words, show it. Or rather don't bother because i'm certainly not going to. You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink, as they say.
    I meant everything I said, it was simply you and shrike that didn't know what I meant or else let your frustration cloud your interpretation.

At least you have finally shown us how the manga supposedly does gym badges - it took you long enough. Fact remains however that the manga =/= games, and the such applying to the games is complete speculation, not supported by game canon. You finally said it isn't - so it really doesn't count. It's an extension - made by completely different people. Like the anime! But you'll ignore this, no doubt.
    I base this belief on the fact that the badge man in Cerulean city says "Pokemon up to level x will OBEY you with x badge"... Note he makes no mention of traded or otherwise. It's my belief that the trading factor was merely a gaming mechanic and that in-universe it can be inferred badges work similarly to in the manga. (The later generations may have retconned this, at least, since my research into GSC has shown some evolving concepts)

(like how Pokemon do fight in the wild as you stated they didn't, and how they have reasons to travle and battle with Trainers), despite claims certain characters - which you have never even encountered yourself! What basis then are you discounting him on? - don't count.
    Again, I never said wild Pokemon don't fight... I said they don't battle like cocks in a pen for no reason.

Not until I was already writing my post, and not until after quite a few other posts had been made as well. Why didn't you just make a second post that I wouldn't have missed? You usually only need to edit your post if no one else has posted yet to avoid double posting... When you edit an old post, you should sort of expect people to miss it.
    It kind of takes awhile to respond to each and every point and fix up the quote tags. I didn't expect people to post between my original post and the edit, and last I checked you weren't even on. Relax.

How is it your favorite generation if it's only your friends that have played the later games...?
    I like the Pokemon, the characters, the designs, and the story. I don't need to play it for it to be my favorite.

And your point with all of this is...? It's the same thing I'm saying; animals, which are not on the level of a human in regards to intelligence and ability to think, don't have all three qualifiers. I am saying that Pokemon do, and so are on the level of a human. I said that in the post I brought all this up in, stop making me repeat it. Of course if I do manage to make this my last post here I won't anyway.
    Then we agree. Misunderstanding fixed.

If you can bring up manga canon so often as support, I think I should be able to use anime canon. Otherwise, you drop the manga stuff.
    The Special manga is based off the game's notes, the anime is not. There's a clear difference.

Tying into something else you're saying, the berserk gene is never mentioned anywhere. Therefore, by your own definition, it's not canon and so shouldn't be used in these arguments just like you don't want Yellow to be used. Characters, even memorable ones like the kid who likes shorts a little too much, also aren't canon I guess. The Sinnoh myths? Not mentioned anywhere else. Wow, guess you're right! They're not an integral part of the game so they're out of canon as well!
    You're splitting hairs. The Mewtwo event is foreshadowed by the Mansion journals, the Sinnoh myths are established by NPC characters and researchers as well as being partly the focus of the entire story of the game, etc. There's a different between an in-game fixture, a feature, and a bonus. Lines of continuity are lax when going between the three.

Wrong on so many levels. Stem cells are not visible, they're just as microscopic as every other cell. What does a stem cell have to do with rewriting genetic code and genes anyway? Stem cells are just cells that lack any defined function and have the ability to adapt to a specific, undefined function.
    So you're telling me if I had a vial of stem cell or any other genetic material I couldn't see it? That makes no sense.

This isn't Digimon, you know. They're clearly converted into energy, what else do you call all that red stuff the ball shoots out and goes inside the ball and everything? And in the anime they're not stored in the computer, they're stored alternatively at a Professor's laboratory (which is where Ash keeps his Pokemon) or at a Pokemon Center (which was shown in early episodes of the anime). The actual process of sending them through a computer is really just teleportation, and who knows how that works seeing as we don't have the technology. As for storage with the game, who knows? It's never clarified as to what's going on or how it works, so you can't really use it to prove anything.
    They're converted into energy in the anime. RBY at least has NPC characters specifically state that Pokemon are converted into data.

The law of thermodynamics would only be violated if energy was created or destroyed. Since mass is already energy (I point again to e=mc^2, or energy equals mass times the speed of light squared), an equal reaction would be just fine. Just because we don't have the technology doesn't mean they couldn't. If anything, "digitizing" something would be even more of a violation of thermodynamics...
    This post here proves the energy theory is scientifically impossible: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4729342#post4729342

Then the berserk gene must also not be canon because it happens after you defeat the elite 4, which according to you seems to be the end of the game. Except with Pokemon games, there is no end. The only time when the elite 4 were the end of the game was in first gen, every generation after has included additional content after the elite 4 which extends the game and so means that the elite 4 are not the end. This includes G/S, which has the entire Kanto region (and the berserk gene) after the end of the game. The only end is when you've done everything in the game there is to do, including catching all Pokemon. I'd say that non-canon "bonus" endings are actually a lot rarer than canon ones.
    As stated above, the Elite Four in generation 1 wasn't the end of the game... Mewtwo was sufficiently foreshadowed and hinted at in the main plot that it is the end of the game.

Newsflash: The whole damn lounge is against you. You're just blind to your own faults so stop trying to act like you have none and that you're better than everyone else.
    I doubt the entire lounge is against me. I may be strong in my beliefs, but they're at least properly researched and logical whereas you and bob just keep attacking me.

Frankly, I think you're all being kind of thickheaded about this. I have absolutely no idea why any of you felt that the precise definition of a legendary Pokémon, or whether Growlithe are bred, or whether Redstar said they don't fight in the wild at all or just not for "no reason", or what counts as magic, or the exact definitions of sentience and sapience, are in any way relevant here. Half of this has been just a headache of splitting hairs and arguing over the semantics of completely irrelevant asides. I'm surprised you didn't start fiercely debating Star Trek after Klingons were brought up.

I don't know why Redstar didn't reply to my previous post, as its points still stand. I would also like to note that Red does have all three starters in G/S/C, since I saw that point raised.
    I was unaware your apricorn post was directed at me.

Excuse me, I had GSC confused with Stadium.

Finally, I must point out that Pokémon game canon is a confusing, messy headache. Consider the fact we have three different equally valid scenarios of the same basic events in the same characters' lives in each generation. No, really consider it. Did Cyrus want to create a new world using Dialga, Palkia, or both while getting stopped by Giratina and sucked into the Distortion World? There is no actual canonical scenario here; these are all equally valid versions of the same story. And then there are the remakes on top of all that. Add in the fact that it's a video game - the player can choose what happens. You say Mewtwo can't be in Cerulean Cave in HG/SS because he was caught three years ago, but who says he was caught? You can play through the game just fine without ever catching Mewtwo, and there is absolutely nothing making it canon that Red ever did catch Mewtwo - the Berserk Gene in G/S/C could just as well be DNA traces left behind by Mewtwo after he left the cave on his own accord. One of the legendary beasts could have eluded Gold and escaped to Kanto. Or was it Kris who released the legendary beasts? It is impossible to sensibly argue any of the possible scenarios offered by the games to be the definitive canon. Pokémon has never been about the details of what happens in the games' plots, anyway.
    Agreed. There's various levels of continuity which sometimes aren't compatible. I should point out that I never argued that my "badges as mind control" theory was anything more than fan theory... The only thing I did was that Pokemon are depicted as animals in the games, which they are.

Judging by this and the fact that I'm still seeing him on the recent viewers list of my profile (unless I happen to not get that many views a day), I take it someone's disappointed I like the company of women. If you know what I mean. And if you know exactly why this is relevant, you get a high five and an "awwright."
    Oh yes. I totally project my frustration at not being able to bed you onto the Lounge through logical discussions that devolve into arguments because no one else knows how to read besides Dragonfree. Your insight into psychology is deeply intuitive and not at all pretentious and narcissistic.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Judging by this and the fact that I'm still seeing him on the recent viewers list of my profile (unless I happen to not get that many views a day), I take it someone's disappointed I like the company of women. If you know what I mean. And if you know exactly why this is relevant, you get a high five and an "awwright."
    Har de har har. You keep assuming that I'm male.
    As for why I'm on your profile, you should know by now how much of a stalker I am.

(On a slightly separate note while I've got my profile open, I just realized someone has the name Armoire of Invincibility, and I kinda want to go to this person's profile and VM them just for the awesome name.)
    FYI, that's Screw the rules, I have green hair!'s new username.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    AND WE'RE OPEN!

Sorry about that, everyone. You may continue almost as you were before.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I haven't been here in a while. There's nothing for some people to contribute with the arguments spanning the pages, so let's just use a question I thought of today.

All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?
    Hmm, right now I only have six major characters that I have given significant screen time too, so I'll be using them. Since I have six characters I can either have two teams of three or three teams of two. Since two teams wouldn't be much fun, I'll use three:

Team One
    - Leah
    - William
    They would probably get along fine as long as they somehow don't get into an argument. Not many worries there.

Team Two
    - Ed
    - Danny
    Danny would probably ditch Ed somewhere. These two definitely would not get out of the maze very quickly.

Team Three
    - Ally
    - Blue
    A very random team; I have absolutely no clue how this one would fair, though Ally would probably be silent and just let Blue lead the way… as long as Blue doesn't kill her, that is.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?
    The best team, naturally, would be the twins, Tyson and Haley. They've known each other for fourteen years after all. I'd then put Jerry and Matthew, as Jerry would be good at supporting the emo kid. Cyrus would get pissed if he had to go with anyone, so I think I'd put him with Alexis just to annoy him. ^_^ Elina would be similar, but I'd put her with Carly just to see them bicker. (Oops, minor spoiler there, teehee.)

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years

Well this is an easy question to answer. Th team of four would be Josh, Romy, Rex, and Katrine since they are already a team. Of course they will get along to a point that Rex will just snap on Josh for saying something that he found stupid. It would be a interesting trip for the four. They make a pretty good balance of observation, skill, tactics, and wreckage. They will find their way out. :P

Gabriel, Jiro, and Fleur will also make a good team though Gabriel and Fleur would bicker about something random while Jiro just watched.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years

David and Shadix would most definitely tag along with each other, even though they'd be arguing with each other everytime there was a split way or even for no special reason.

I don't have many other characters, or at least they don't have many others to use.

I do have another question to add to the quiz, let me just reformulate it. <.<

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?

I dont have one :o. But if I was to say, base this off my friends(as most of my FF characters have some sort of resemblance of my friends in some way we'd probably run and around and get lost. Or, climb through the corn stalks and scare each other. Then a few of us would get bored and find a way out.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    AND WE'RE OPEN!

I gave a hearty laugh when I saw that you closed it. Not that I had a dire need to post in it, but still smiled nonetheless.

I'd have indeed read what was going on, if I had the time. X_x

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • AND WE'RE OPEN!

And here, I was kinda hoping for hellfire and whatnot, but ah well.

So, yeah. Awesome, guys. A major debate, and for once, I'm not one of the major players in it. I think it might actually be more fun this way.

In any case, I'd answer the question, but I've already reached my daily allotment of FFL-based potshots at Bill.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Team 1: The Principals: Lisa, Lindsay, Sadie (guest character from my pair's fic) : Aside from some light bickering between siblings Lisa and Lindsay, this group would probably get along quite well, with Lisa using her math and logic skills to negotiate the maze. That is, until, a stray corn stalk rips her clothes. Then all bets are off. Unless Sadie and Lindsay can calm her.

Team 2: The Admins: Fred, Tony, Betty: Here's a crew. Tony would start out acting all calm and cool, but when it becomes apparent the group's lost in the maze, he'll take out the insulated mug full of whiskey he snuck into the maze and become a rambling, incoherent drunk. All the while, Fred's barking like a Growlithe and Betty is going all emo and predicting their doom at every wrong turn.

Misheard Whisper

Years
    Team 1: The Principals: Lisa, Lindsay, Sadie (guest character from my pair's fic) : Aside from some light bickering between siblings Lisa and Lindsay, this group would probably get along quite well, with Lisa using her math and logic skills to negotiate the maze. That is, until, a stray corn stalk rips her clothes. Then all bets are off. Unless Sadie and Lindsay can calm her.

Team 2: The Admins: Fred, Tony, Betty: Here's a crew. Tony would start out acting all calm and cool, but when it becomes apparent the group's lost in the maze, he'll take out the insulated mug full of whiskey he snuck into the maze and become a rambling, incoherent drunk. All the while, Fred's barking like a Growlithe and Betty is going all emo and predicting their doom at every wrong turn.
    That . . . sounds surprisingly fun. XD

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • So I had a final final reply to the argument but decided to screw it after Astinus locked the lounge.

Oh yeah, and TRINITY chapter 5 was posted. Finally. Go read it. All of you! And of course the prologue through chapter 4 as well since I know the only one here who actually does read it is Japanese-name guy.

Shrike, Rayne, Aira, and Zack Reilyn
    -The TFC hero team, expanded to four as there's no real other place to put Zack. They'd get along fairly well and generally cooperate together to make their way through, although Zack would likely disappear at times only to reappear later with knowledge of a better path. Oh yeah, and their Pokemon don't count as they could be kept in Pokeballs, despite them pretty much being considered characters on equal level with the humans.

Zelos, Ramirez, and Xylus
    -The TFC primary villain team. Zelos would dominate over the others and be unwilling to accept any advice from them on the correct patch, with Ramirez obeying like a dog and Xylus being mildly pissed off but keeping it to himself.

Hunter, Reich, and Chaos
    -The TFC secondary villain team. Hunter and Reich would likely share leader duties with Chaos wondering why he couldn't just chop all the corn down instead. He's crazy like that.

Jura, Noah, and Rayth
    -The TFC support character team. Jura, through sheer power of intimidation alone, would take over as leader. Noah wouldn't go peacefully though, insisting that they need to work together. Rayth would just follow along quietly moping.

Tashima, Havoc, and Zeta
    -TRINITY primary hero team. Tashima would likely lead at first, but eventually Zeta would get annoyed with him and charge on ahead, leaving Tashima and Havoc behind and by themselves. Zeta would manage to get out by himself if only because he'd probably destroy the entire maze, while Tashima and Havoc would work out between them how to get out the proper way.

Kyle, Ava, and Arrow
    -TRINITY Icarus rebels hero team. Kyle and Ava, being the obvious couple they are, would get alone quite well. However, for the entire time, Arrow would be doing crazy stuff and trying his damn hardest to separate the two and get them lost. Eventually Ava would fire off a couple warning shots in his direction, calming him down enough to let them get out.

Zack Atwater and Jet
    -TRINITY Waves hero team. After wondering why they're the only pair in here they'd get along reasonably well. Since Zack never truly gets over his dislike of Pokemon he'll be a bit cautious about any suggestion Jet makes, though. Note that I'm actually thinking over a new character that could fit in with these two. While Zack and Jet are both pilot for the US Navy, this new character would be a marine stationed on the Andromeda. While he would be a background character in the Waves rewrite, he'd be more important in later chapters of the story. While Zack and Jet provide a military viewpoint in space, this marine would provide a military viewpoint of the ground war that will develop.

Dagger and Grace
    -TRINITY Pokemon rebels hero team. They won't be showing up until the beginning of part two, but here they are anyway. Dagger's a Mightyena and Grace is a Gardevoir, BTW. They won't really get along well at all, Dagger pretty much hating Grace's guts despite her saving his life (will be shown either in the first chapter of phase.Beta, or a transition chapter between alpha and beta. Not sure which). Grace, being psychic, will easily know the way out and Dagger will grudgingly follow, however.

And, nope, no TRINITY villain team. There is exactly one villain in all of TRINITY, that being Cygnus Alvaron (not really a spoiler since he's already been introduced and it's obvious CYPHER's evil). Quite different from the multitude of evil people present in TFC...

Yes, I do have a lot of characters.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Team One: Bevan, Charlotte, and Dagger. Bevan would insist on going with Dagger, because he is the logical choice for getting through a maze like this. Charlotte would in turn insist on going with Bevan, which he would accept graciously, because, much to his annoyance, he is attached to her. They'd probably get through the maze quite quickly.

Team Two: Manfred and Cicero. This isn't because they're great friends, but because no named character really likes either of them and they'd be stuck together. They'd probably finish last because of their bickering about the morality of corn mazes and cheating. :]

Team Three: Lord Augury and Rex. They'd finish first because Augury would bribe, cheat, and blackmail in order to do so. Rex would simply follow behind, providing any needed extra muscle. :D

There are other named characters, but they're not major enough (yet) to be participating in the corn maze spin-off. :]

Bay

Years

NE is already pretty much broken up into teams, but a corn maze is a whole new ball game. :P

Team One: Jacob, Bunny, and Jenny. The three would work well together (save for Jenny calling Bunny "Bun-Bun" :P ) at first. However, Jacob will soon backstab them and do the maze on his own. D:

Team Two: Timmy and Lucas. They'll just try to get those three. :P Lucas would probably get annoyed at hearing Timmy's doubt if they're going the right direction, though. XD

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?

Stats do exist in OMF's universe, but they're more of an unsaid thing. One of the characters might say, 'wow, that Rhydon looks strong,' or, 'damn, did you see how fast that Meowth ran?'. Just like the world in which we live, well, most of us we say so-and-so's a fast runner, or so-and-so has a very good emotional defence (I can't believe he hasn't lost his mind after witnessing the brutal murder of his parents), etc. We don't measure it in numbers, and my characters don't either.

Levels are once again an unsaid thing, but they are very much there. There's a one-shot I'm writing about Noah right now (it's a prequel to OMF because I realised how disorganised it looks if you don't have a clue what's going on, and I wanted to make it slightly clearer) and he tells his Lucario to use Aura Sphere. Lucario just frowns and shrugs, as if to say, 'I haven't reached that level yet,'. And the Pokémon evolve at the appropriate times too.

Elemental Strengths are interesting to me. I've never really understood how Dragon can be super effective against Dragon, so I tend to leave that out. Water is obviously better than Fire so that always gets a mention. The logical advantages and disadvantages are counted, the illogical ones, not so much. (Psychic > Bug - Wtf?).

What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?

None of my characters have special abilities. In fact, the main protagonist and antagonist are only good for using the abilities of others. For example, Noah uses Pokémon #251 to travel back in time, while Giovanni attempts to capture all the Legendaries as part of his plot to take over the world. As for balance? The whole point of the story is the complete disregard for the balance, which sort of leads to a semi-apocalypse.

Well, there's one I never really thought about. Hm. I'd probably split the characters up into two teams (one with Giovanni, Professor Oak and Mewtwo, and the other with Noah, Professor Elm and Ceceily). Not because they'd work well together or because I think they'd be good at teamwork. It's actually quite the opposite. Yes indeed! I'm a fan of watching shows where people who don't get along are put together and constantly bicker, so from what I can see...

Giovanni would be really purplexed and would be like, 'what the hell's goin' on? I though I killed you!' to Professor Oak. Before Oak has a chance to reply though, Mewtwo interjects and starts blaming Giovanni for locking him in a cage and driving him insane. I can see a scuffle between the Pokémon and the ex-Team Rocket Leader breaking out before Oak patiently tuts and reminds them that they're lost in a corn maze. The three of them then grudgingly agree to work together. Cue outbursts and hilarity.

Meanwhile Elm would probably take charge, and Noah would be constantly making remarks about what direction they should be going in. Ceceily wouldn't be doing anything except moaning and expecting someone to get out of the mess for her.

This would actually be quite fun to write, lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back