• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parents forcing you to greet their friends

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When you were younger, or if you still are a minor, did your parents ever come to your room and force you to walk out to the living room to greet the guests/visitors?

Something like: "Look honey, come greet these people you never met before or that you don't recognize from when you were only 1 year old! :D"

Meanwhile I'm dressed like a bum at home and had to walk outside to greet people I didn't care about. It was awkward and I just wanted to stay in my room until they left so I could comfortably walk around my house again.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I always go out to greet guests in the home, unless I know they're only going to be there for a short time. The only time I do greet short time guests is when I know them or already have met them.

I think it would be awkward to have a guest in the house, then randomly walk out to get a drink or snack and ignore them. Easier to just go greet them, then you can freely walk about without feeling like you're ignoring them.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • "come out of your room n greet these people pls"

"later k"

*an hour passes, still in room*

I never leave my room, so...

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I feel like I was expected to greet and be polite to guests (and still am, when I visit home), but I almost always had warning before they arrived, so I didn't run into the issue of not being dressed appropriately, etc. It can be inconvenient, and if I'm really busy, I'll only chat with the guests for a short time, but I don't have a problem with it. I'm just always considered it to be part of being polite, and if I've noticed guests arrive and it seems appropriate, I'll greet them without prompting.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't think that happened to me often.

These days, if there's someone in the house and I have to go to the kitchen or something, I usually just say hi in passing. But if someone comes in, and I'm in my room or something, I don't go out to say hello or anything until I have a reason to go.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My mom never really brought friends over so that wasn't really a thing.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
  • This pretty much summed up my experience when I discovered visitors in the house.

Parents forcing you to greet their friends

Also, I still do this. -.-

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • "mija, come down here and say hi!"

/in PJ's and a messy bun and no make up.

Well, these days as a grown-up, it seems disrespectful if you don't "come down and greet". When I was young, if I didn't do such thing I would be grounded for a week. Seriously.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    "mija, come down here and say hi!"

/in PJ's and a messy bun and no make up.

Well, these days as a grown-up, it seems disrespectful if you don't "come down and greet". When I was young, if I didn't do such thing I would be grounded for a week. Seriously.

Mija? I thought you were a guy. #themoreyouknow

I feel you though, I would appreciate a warning so I can change into more presentable clothing lol. Or at least to shower.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My parents rarely had guests over, but when they did, I deliberately shut myself in my room.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Not to friends, but family. We would be at someone's else for some holiday or event and I'd have to greet someone, some distant relative who I don't know, never saw before and never saw again. I didn't care and I was small so I was like "I don't wanna say hi to this person". And some just plain scarred me because they were ancient and looked like the crypt keeper

Eventually I just got introduced all the time as being "shy"

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    lol yeah and I was extremely shy growing up so it was actually kind of humiliating or at least that's what it felt like. Idk everyone close to me made me feel like I was rude, but I truly was just painfully shy!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My parents would have guests over all the time, so this was something that happened a lot. I hated it each and every time. I hate being the center of attention for people I don't know, so it was really painful.

The worst time was when I was at my grandmother's house, and she had all of her friends over. They were all sitting in a large circle in the living room, and my mom made me walk into the center as my grandma just rambled on about me. It was so awkward just standing there and looking at all of the faces staring back at me.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Not to friends, but family. We would be at someone's else for some holiday or event and I'd have to greet someone, some distant relative who I don't know, never saw before and never saw again. I didn't care and I was small so I was like "I don't wanna say hi to this person". And some just plain scarred me because they were ancient and looked like the crypt keeper

Eventually I just got introduced all the time as being "shy"

Same. My family's always been pretty distant - like, even today, I know maybe 6 people. So I was afraid of every distant relative they tried to introduce me to when I was little, and eventually I was just considered 'shy.'

And my parents still introduce me to relatives all angrily with, "You know him."
    Uh, no. No, I don't. Chances are, I met him when I was like 4 and my memory ain't that good, or you've only told me stories about him. That doesn't mean I know someone.

I always go out to greet guests in the home, unless I know they're only going to be there for a short time. The only time I do greet short time guests is when I know them or already have met them.

I think it would be awkward to have a guest in the house, then randomly walk out to get a drink or snack and ignore them. Easier to just go greet them, then you can freely walk about without feeling like you're ignoring them.

Man. Snacks can wait until the creepy people leave the house. Just hide in your room and pretend you're not home.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Mmm, not often. I've never had any particular problems with formalities, besides growing restless inside from how much of a time-waste they feel.

Years
  • My family has no friends so this never happened. It was more like the other way around - I'd bring guests over and my parents would get stressed out by having to interact with them, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    I find it is pretty awkward to greet people you dont care to get to know or not interested

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • my parents never really have guests over to our house that I don't know at least in passing, so I've never really had this problem. usually when I see relatives that I haven't seen in years or haven't ever seen I'm at someone else's house and it's easier to just hang back and not have to go near them, especially if there's people I know much better there.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • When I was younger, yea. My parents made me greet the guests and have conversations with them. As I got older though, my mother wouldn't even tell me that people are over in the first place. ^~^

Back