• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The EU Referendum

Years
I wanted Farage to go because I hated him. Stepping down just because you achieved your goal is just absolutely pathetic.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2018
Farage is indeed a horrible goblin man, but i think it would definitely be worse of him NOT to step down now that his sole goal has been achieved? UKIP seems like it will unfortunately stick around though and try and mooch off it's "success" here

Years
Michael Gove is apparently out of the Conservative leadership race, so that leaves Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom as the remaining contenders. Yes, Britain's next PM will very likely be a woman.

Years
Well, in a bit of an update in the PM race, Leadsom has dropped out of contention so it's all but confirmed Theresa May will be Britain's next PM, making her only the second female PM of the country.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
The fact that May is a woman is not of interest at all. The bigger concern is what she's going to do with her position. Woman or not, I am convinced that she is one of the most dangerous Tories around and I am genuinely afraid of the change that she'll bring - and I believe that she's more than competent enough to bring it, too.

On the other hand, I'm open to being surprised. If she isn't as evil as she's been made out to be, maybe she could make some genuinely good change for once. I just kinda doubt it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Anything new happen in regards to this? Has the UK finally elected a new PM or does everyone still not wanna take that position? I don't really keep up with much stuff so....

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Theresa May! Not elected by the public, only by the party in charge. She's... ok. Doesn't quite seem like the evil witch she was expected to be and she's recently come out as saying she's proud that England is such a progressive country @ LGBT rights so things could be worse. No real progress on the whole Brexit situation/article 50 triggering so that's a relief for now but it'll only be a matter of time - with any luck they'll all just forget about it and sweep it under the rug but I don't think we'll be that lucky :p

Reactions: Nah

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I feel the need to point out that, as of 29th August 2016, the UK is still a 100% full-fledged EU member since nothing has been done in order to withdraw from the EU yet, meaning that nothing has happened to trigger the "fear" predictions. So saying "Look, nothing bad is happening" is kind of like saying "Well, a holiday in Iraq wasn't quite so bad" while you are still at Heathrow queuing to drop your luggage.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen the day May actually, you know, triggers Article 50. But if Brexit hasn't caused any major catastrophes yet is because... Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
Years
I feel the need to point out that, as of 29th August 2016, the UK is still a 100% full-fledged EU member since nothing has been done in order to withdraw from the EU yet, meaning that nothing has happened to trigger the "fear" predictions. So saying "Look, nothing bad is happening" is kind of like saying "Well, a holiday in Iraq wasn't quite so bad" while you are still at Heathrow queuing to drop your luggage.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen the day May actually, you know, triggers Article 50. But if Brexit hasn't caused any major catastrophes yet is because... Brexit hasn't happened yet.
Yes I get that, but it is talking about project fear. I'll point you to this part of the article, which shows how George messed it up.
GUARDIAN article said:
Some caveats are in order. It is still early days. Hard data is scant. Survey evidence is still consistent with a slowdown in the economy in the second half of 2016. Brexit may be a slow burn, with the impact only becoming apparent in the months and years to come.
But it is obvious that the sky has not fallen in as a result of the referendum, and those who said it would look a bit silly. By now, Britain was supposed to be reeling from the emergency budget George Osborne said would be necessary to fill a £30bn black hole in the public finances caused by a plunging economy. The emergency budget is history, as is Osborne.
In a way, Project Fear did work. It put the wind up businesses, making them warier about investing in new kit. And at least some of the people who voted remain did so because they were worried about the economic consequences of leaving. That was hardly surprising, given the regular and lurid warnings – from the Treasury, the Bank of England, the International Monetary Fund and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development – about the dire consequences that would inevitably flow from Brexit.
The British state did an abrupt U-turn on 24 June. Having failed to secure a yes vote, the official position had to change fast. The imperative was to get all those people who had been frightened witless to chill out. Some surveys since the Brexit vote did indeed pick up an abrupt drop in consumer confidence. The government feared a recession of its own making.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I do wonder if she ever will. It's kind of a shitty position to be in really. You either a) trigger Article 50 and leave the EU, losing all the benefits that provides, or b) don't trigger Article 50 and technically ignore democracy and "the will of the people". It's a lose-lose situation really.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I do wonder if she ever will. It's kind of a shitty position to be in really. You either a) trigger Article 50 and leave the EU, losing all the benefits that provides, or b) don't trigger Article 50 and technically ignore democracy and "the will of the people". It's a lose-lose situation really.

She has already said herself that she is going to trigger it - in fact, it was during her first speech as PM iirc. "Brexit means Brexit", etc.. You're right in that it's a job that no-one wants to do - hence why lots of the pro-Brexit camp went running away from the responsibility - but anyone who isn't in denial realises that it's something that has to happen and that it's, sadly, just down to damage prevention at this point.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
Years
I'm still can't believed we left, but I guess having to hope for the best for London, and the UK.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I think we are forgetting that Brexit is not really about economics at all. Its a fight between nationalism vs. globalism. With this POV, people dont care about the economic effects as national sovereignty and taking back borders takes preference.

Guest123_x1

I think we are forgetting that Brexit is not really about economics at all. Its a fight between nationalism vs. globalism. With this POV, people dont care about the economic effects as national sovereignty and taking back borders takes preference.
No wonder the mainstream American media and its friends on Wall Street were clamoring in hopes that the Brexit proposal would fail. Despite what most people here believe, I honesty believe British voters did the right thing by voting in favor of the exit referendum, even if all the stops are being pulled to prevent the initiative from fully going through, and currency speculators crashed the Pound in retaliation (which is why I believe all currency speculation should be outright banned in its entirety.)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
and currency speculators crashed the Pound in retaliation (which is why I believe all currency speculation should be outright banned in its entirety.)

You are essentially saying you want to ban currency trading? Because the "speculation" that happened is simply that thousands of investors decided to wind up their investments, sell their pounds and leave the UK expecting an economic downturn, and other thousands that were thinking of buying pounds to invest in the UK decided to back off expecting an economic downturn in the UK. So, more people selling and less people buying = price falls.

And since you can't order an investor that wants to leave to stay put against their will, or force another one to come in and invest, the only way to stop "speculation" would be to literally ban any currency trading, which would make life for import/exporters (and tourists) a little bit terrible. Otherwise you could have a "fixed echange rate" system, which is precisely what caused the Pound to implode in 1992 after a legitimate speculator went all out against it.

I guess it's easier to blame "Wall Street" than actually studying how these things work at a micro level. As BadSheep said, they took this decision on a political point of view, not economical- you cannot force economic agents to be happy about it by law.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday

It's to revoke human/worker rights from the British public and lift those nasty EU rules and regulations that stop innocent corporations from wrecking our beaches, our air and our cities.

It's not about Nationalism, that's just how they sold it to those who wanted Nationalism.

Back