• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense" [Steel-Type Fan Club]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Which Steel-type Pokemon do you use the most often, be it your in-game party or competitive scene?

In-game wise I find myself using the Magnemite family. They're a reliable electric type that has great coverage, easily patches up the weaknesses in my team and generally serves as a valuable teammate. Plus who doesn't love something that's adorable and fun to use? Its an easy Pokemon to play around with, train up and do all sorts of shenanigans with. I really enjoy using them in-game and I always try to fit one on my team, no matter how tempting a Jolteon sounds. Magnets for the win y/y. <3

Competitively, I find myself using Scizor and Skarmory quite a bit. Skarmory is there for obvious reasons, setting up hazard damage, coming in with its useful posion-type immunity, whirlwinding threats out and racking up damage. Overall a great Pokemon to use and entry hazards can play quite a huge role in the game by wearing Pokemon down over time. Choice Banded Scizor is known pretty much everywhere and its still a threat that I find rather hard to work around. It just rips holes through everything and can be dangerous to reckon with. Other than that I occasionally use Forretress but as far as offensive steel-types go, I think I've only ever really used Scizor. :p

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Which Steel-type Pokemon do you use the most often, be it your in-game party or competitive scene?

Im starting to sound like a broken record...but its Aggron (sounds familiar?) or Metacross.

Sirfetch’d

In-game wise I find myself using the Magnemite family. They're a reliable electric type that has great coverage, easily patches up the weaknesses in my team and generally serves as a valuable teammate. Plus who doesn't love something that's adorable and fun to use? Its an easy Pokemon to play around with, train up and do all sorts of shenanigans with. I really enjoy using them in-game and I always try to fit one on my team, no matter how tempting a Jolteon sounds. Magnets for the win y/y. <3

Competitively, I find myself using Scizor and Skarmory quite a bit. Skarmory is there for obvious reasons, setting up hazard damage, coming in with its useful posion-type immunity, whirlwinding threats out and racking up damage. Overall a great Pokemon to use and entry hazards can play quite a huge role in the game by wearing Pokemon down over time. Choice Banded Scizor is known pretty much everywhere and its still a threat that I find rather hard to work around. It just rips holes through everything and can be dangerous to reckon with. Other than that I occasionally use Forretress but as far as offensive steel-types go, I think I've only ever really used Scizor. :p

I think Scizor is going to be the common pick for this topic because outside of Ferrothorn it has the highest usage for Steel types in OU right? That is for good reason. He is one of the primary offensive Steel types and with his standard Choice Band set can really rip apart teams. His sleek design is also really appealing to most Steel type fans.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
To be honest I don't use many Steel types-often haha. There is one I use a fair amount which is Bronzong, and I recently used a Steelix whilst playing a challenge run, but otherwise I don't tend to use many. I prefer to reserve Steel-types for competitive battles and for the more interesting teams since they always feel too "lol you need strategy to use me" for an in-game team. I do love Steel-types and they're fun to use, but they aren't the most interesting for casual in-game teams. The reason I use Bronzong so often is simply because I love the Pokémon, but even he can get pretty boring to use with all the stalling haha. Gyro Ball is a saviour!

Sirfetch’d

There is a rumor that Steel types are super-effective against Fairy. What do you think about this?

Really excited about this if it's true. I feel Steel Pokemon and Steel type moves are so under used due to their lack of coverage and this would fix just that. Lets face it, with Fairies being able to counter Dragon Pokemon they are going to be everywhere. This would call for an increase in Steel types to be used especially in the competitive scene. Finally something to make Steel Pokemon have more of an offensive presence.

Years
New topic.

There is a rumor that Steel types are super-effective against Fairy. What do you think about this?

I would love to see that happen. That gives people another reason to use Steel-types! Steel can beat up all those Pixiemons :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Steel good against Fairy? I suppose that makes sense and I'd be happy to see it - I think it would make them completely dominate competitive battling though. Steel is currently one of the best counters to countless Dragon-types and with Fairy being designed to take over this role, if Steel-types can kill those instantly too it's seeming like Steel-types will simply dominate the game entirely. Is this a good thing? Although I like Steel-types a lot, I'm thinking no. I feel that certain Steel-types like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc, will become far too prevalent and cause some pretty annoying niches to appear in the meta... but we'll have to wait and see!

Years
Username/Nickname: Pave Low
Partner(s): Registeel and Aron
What made you join this club: Steel is my favorite type, have always loved the steel-type 'mons. I used to be owner of the steel-type fan club a while back so it's fair to say I have a thing for them.
What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? Registeel.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I often find myself using Skarmory in GSC/HG and Aggron in RSE. They're easy to catch and train, unlike Scizor or Steelix or Escavalier, which all require trades. Although I can trade in every gen, I'm just that lazy sometimes, haha. I also used a Mawile, Metagross, Magnezone, Excadrill, and Bisharp once. I enjoyed using them all. I can't think of any more, though.

As for competitive, I was quite fond of using my EV trained Metagross, especially its Agility set. Once I increase its speed, and it already has nice offense and bulk, it is difficult to stop.

Hm, I can see Steel types squishing Fairy types, but then if types were based on what can get squished, Bug types would be weakest. And dragons would step on fairy. 8D; So yeah, I don't get the rumor. I don't mind if that happens, though.

Years

Well there is a myth that said fairies can't tolerate metal, and given what the person dressed as Sylveon demonstrated on Pokemon Smash, was to try and speculate Sylveon's strengths and weaknesses. But yeah I'm hoping this is true because Steel can have some extra coverage, because as far as its strengths against Rock and Ice go, it's outclassed by Fighting which is also strong against both those types.

Years
I think this club desperately needs a new topic, and I have one ready for everyone now. :)

Honedge is the only Gen VI Pokemon confirmed so far to have a Steel typing at all. What do you think about Honedge?

Sirfetch’d

I love Honedge a lot <3 One of my wishes for this upcoming generation was that a Ghost/Steel typed Pokemon would be introduced and it finally happened! While I am not the biggest fan of Pokemon being based off of inanimate objects, I simply adore Honedge. He is super unique and really well designed. I am now looking forward to seeing what his stat layout looks like. Will he be a strong and fast Pokemon? Or will he be a defensive wall? Hopefully that will be revealed soon. I am also looking forward to seeing if he is the only Pokemon in his family or if he as an evolution or pre-evolution. Overall I am super excited to use this little guy and he will definitely find a way on my team when I do my first playthrough!

MrBananaMan212

Original User Title
Years
Sign-up Form
Username/Nickname: MrBananaMan212
Partner(s) - You can pick up to 2 different Partners from the list below: Aron and Scizor
What made you join this club? Steel types are my favorites
What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? Hard one, but probably aron

Also to contribute to the discussion, I like Honedge and its unique typing.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Honedge? I hate it. Steel/Ghost is a great typing and should've gone to Golurk in my opinion but this new possessed sword is just... awful. They've taken their trait of giving stupid inanimate objects eyes (see: Klink) and making them into Pokémon for no good reason. Sure it's possessed by a ghost, but the ghosts all possess the exact same designs and sizes of sword? It's just one of those Pokémon that I can't stop thinking "... how desperate was this" about which is a big shame because the Steel/Ghost typing has a lot of potential, so unless they come up with a good back story for it I'm not convinced I'll like this Pokémon at all. If it can breed I'm finished with it for good (unless it has a baby and there's some way to evolve it by interacting with a sword - that will salvage it for me!).

Years
Honedge? I hate it. Steel/Ghost is a great typing and should've gone to Golurk in my opinion but this new possessed sword is just... awful. They've taken their trait of giving stupid inanimate objects eyes (see: Klink) and making them into Pokémon for no good reason. Sure it's possessed by a ghost, but the ghosts all possess the exact same designs and sizes of sword? It's just one of those Pokémon that I can't stop thinking "... how desperate was this" about which is a big shame because the Steel/Ghost typing has a lot of potential, so unless they come up with a good back story for it I'm not convinced I'll like this Pokémon at all. If it can breed I'm finished with it for good (unless it has a baby and there's some way to evolve it by interacting with a sword - that will salvage it for me!).

I think Honedge is a very interesting Pokemon, a sword was one of those inanimate objects I thought would eventually have a Pokemon based off it and surprise they created Honedge. The Steel/Ghost type combination is a very unusual one but glad to see they used another previously unused typing for a new Pokemon. It gets loads of resistances and also three immunities from this typing alone, and just weak to Ground and Fire. While I had mixed reactions when it was first shown, I do think this thing will make a big impact on competitive play for having almost as many resistances as Ferrothorn. I like how its description mentions it drains the life energy of those who try to use it like a real sword, Ghost-type Pokemon have always been known to have very creepy Pokedex entries so no surprise here. No Guard was an ability I wasn't expecting for it, but I'm hoping it does get some moves that would be great for abusing the ability. I could see it being a physical sweeper but also with some good defensive stats as well.

But still, I'm hoping it gets good moves and everything. Because that Steel/Ghost typing looks very cool.

Years
^I think Honedge's usefulness will depend on its stats and ability. Even though Steel/Ghost is nearly a godsend typing, if it has bad stats and/or ability, it'll go straight down to the depths of the unknown.

Now, this club needs a new topic to talk about.

If you could make one non-Steel Pokemon to be part Steel-type, which one would you choose?

Sirfetch’d

If you could make one non-Steel Pokemon to be part Steel-type, which one would you choose?

Hmm interesting topic!

Gonna agree with what Alex had previously staded about Golurk. I've always thought that Golurk should be part Steel type instead of part Ground, so I'll go with him. Golurk has the appearance of a Steel robot so making him Ghost/Steel would be a bit more appropriate and tbh, I'm not sure why this isn't his typing to begin with. I mean, Ghost/Ground isn't a bad typing for him, but just Ghost/Steel makes more sense to me. The same applies to it's pre-evo, Golett.

623___goruugu_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d33n341.png
See, it just looks Steel typed!

but it is a lame Pokemon, so who cares ;]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back