• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Fire and Lightning - Generation V Fan Club

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
  • Haxorus can be outshadowed a lot due to his single typing without levitate or any usual dragon type ability, but druddigon is way more underused because it has wings but cant fly is a single evolution and doesnt have the most appealing design. Most majorly is that in gen 5 all the other new dragons are kinds not seen used as much as hydreigon is lets face it awesome. Especially if your playing a gen 5 game because without fairies everyone wants hydreigon.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Does anyone else feel like Haxorus is overshadowed by other dragon types though? It's a great dragon type but in comparison to the pseudo legendaries, it just can't compete with its singular typing. I think giving it an extra typing like bug or steel would of been good in this case. Making it purely dragon doesn't give much of an incentive for people to pick it over something like Hydreigon or the other pseudo legendaries really. ):

But whilst we're on the topic of Gen V dragons, how do people feel about Druddigon? I like its design though I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to fight me for that view. ;]
    Haxorus is arguably overshadowed because of several possible reasons. It lacks a beneficial second typing like Garchomp, it can't run mixed movesets like Salamence, it doesn't have cool looking wings like Hydreigon... :P

Even so, I'm quite fond of it. I used one on my Black team nicknamed Red Point. You'd have to see the rest of the team to figure out the naming theme (besides my Whimsicott). They're cocktails/beverages:
    503.png
    547.png
    560.png

BlueHawaii - Arcelia - Hayride
    596.png
    612.png
    625.png

GoldnDream - RedPoint - Sazerac​

With enough tweaks to its armor, I could see Haxorus being a Dragon/Steel Pokemon. It would lose the weakness to Fairy, Ice, and Dragon and only be weak to Fighting and Ground, which are typically seen on physical Pokemon anyway. Beef up the defense a bit and I think it would be much more interesting. However, one key trait of Haxorus is being able to relentless cut down enemies while defending its territory, so that attack and speed will have to remain...

Username: AmourPearlShipper
    Partner Pokemon: Seismitoad
    Reason for joining: Gen 5 is underrated by those who think this is not Pokemon anymore. It had many awesome designs and a lot of powerful Pokemon.
    Current topic: Haxorus is awesome. It has a neat design and is probably the best dragon in-game due to its 147 base attack and solid speed stat, boosting moves in Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and moves such as Outrage, Earthquake, Poison Jab and Brick Break (even Strength hits hard!), which makes it a force to be reckoned with.
    Competitively it's not as good but it's really underrated. From my experience, it puts a lot of pressure on stall teams that don't use Mega Slowbro, by using a Swords Dance/Taunt/Dragon Claw/Poison Jab @ Lum Berry set. Magnezone is a must though due to steels such as Skarm and Ferro which are commonly seen on defensive teams.
    Welcome! That's pretty much the moveset I've used on my Haxorus besides leaving Dragon Dance in there for some reason. I've wanted to use Tympole since it's so cute, but never got the chance. How's Seismitoad?

Druddigon is a Pokémon I always found to be rather under-appreciated, even though it clearly isn't one of the bigger ones. It doesn't evolve, has around average defenses allowing it to survive at least one hit most of the time, and some very unique abilities that can help it quite a bit. I bred one in X that can be used in Trick Room, with 31 IVs in everything except Special Attack, and Speed which was a 0. I haven't done much with it but it's still something fun. Yeah, it has a lot it can use, but it's just really cut out. But I don't want to call it the worst Dragon-type like some people have.
    Unfortunately, I would have to call it one of the worse Dragon type because it looks the opposite of mythical. I think of Legos when I see one. The blue and red are just too contrasting and the jagged edges everywhere stress my eyes.

Haxorus can be outshadowed a lot due to his single typing without levitate or any usual dragon type ability, but druddigon is way more underused because it has wings but cant fly is a single evolution and doesnt have the most appealing design. Most majorly is that in gen 5 all the other new dragons are kinds not seen used as much as hydreigon is lets face it awesome. Especially if your playing a gen 5 game because without fairies everyone wants hydreigon.
    Hydreigon was my VIP on my White version. Honestly, I think it was the only Pokemon that did anything as the other two kept dying and Lilligant had only grass attacks and hidden power. I nicknamed my Hydreigon as Alastor, which means avenger. Alastor was responsible to avenge its fallen teammates, haha.

635.png
    523.png
    584.png
    549.png

Alastor - Mjolnir - Vanille - Sugar

Years
  • Even so, I still feel it doesn't get the love it actually deserves. It has a base 147 Atk, higher than even Pokemon like Landorus-T (145) and just under major legendaries like normal Groudon (150). It also packs a respectable base Speed 97(?) (if I remember correctly), which allows it to outspeed the likes of Darmanitan, Heracross, Chandelure, Kingdra, Lucario, Krookodile, Nidoking, Roserade, Porygon-Z, Rotom-H, and Toxicroak if none are Scarf.

In terms of move pool, Haxorus doesn't have much to run, but it is enough. In terms of set up moves, it gets both Swords Dance and Dragon Dance, the latter being a nice niche over Garchomp (I wish so much the fake event had been real). It has access to nice STAB in Outrage if you prefer power or Dragon Claw if you'd prefer not be locked it. Then, to handle the pesky Fairy types that roam around, Haxorus has access to Posion Jab, which hits relatively hard boosted and unboosted. I think he also gets Iron Head, which can be used instead to also hit Ice-types super-effectively, but if you're in OU, you might prefer being able to hit Azumarill hard. Both 100% viable. For the last slot, I'd say always Earthquake. EQ lets Haxorus handle all the grounded Steel types running around. If one chooses to use Haxorus in OU, I'd recommend accompanying him with a Magnezone to get rid of Skarmory, Haxorus's greatest enemy by far in OU.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Username: Mega XinZhao

Partner Pokémon: Excadrill and Haxorous

Reason for joining: I believe in Gen 5 and Unova. Gen 5 and Unova are greatly unappreciated by the fans who were too attached with the older gens (ehem GenFourers) but in terms of Gamefreak's efforts to introduce a new region, Gen 5 and Unova did it best. Those who played gen 5 and didn't expect to see their familiar pokemon on their first playthroughs of black or white were forced to deal with some unusual faces. Simply put. Gen 5 is really the "best" in my opinion. It introduced a lot of changes to help improve and revitalize the franchise that many fans did not really appreciate. Also Gen 5 gave us Infinite TMs. THE BEST FEATURE EVER INTRODUCED. EVER. Also Gen 5 would introduce some of the coolest Dragon types in the game before their eventual downfall in Gen 6 and the fairy type introduction. Also, Black and White are great games. BW2 are just as good. I'm currently making a playthrough of Black 1 and I'm enjoying the experience so far.

Answer the current topic!: Haxorous.

BADASS. Who would want to mess around with a pokemon with an Axe-shaped facial feature? Even its name sounds intimidating. HAXOROUS!!. I certainly would not but want to have it on my team. Also, there's a reason why Haxorous was OU back in Gen 5 along with Hydreigon. He was that awesome. The pure dragon typing may have looked like a disadvantage compared to others with their secondary types, but because of the pure dragon type, that only meant that Ice and Dragon were its only weaknesses, both types that Haxourous can cleanly deal with. (He's faster and stronger than most ice types, and he's just as fast and as strong as any dragon type). I like how it evolves from the adorable little Axew too. Clearly a pokemon that requires a lot of hard work to raise, but definitely rewarding on the end. Haxorous is a great symbol of why Hard work in pokemon (and in real life) matters.

Years
  • Very true, that thing is still pretty cool, as I think I mentioned I had it on my Hall of Fame team when I first played X back on release. I remember catching an Axew out of curiosity, but it had an Impish nature, so I was like, "sure, let's take it!" And it even OHKO'ed Valerie's Mr. Mime with Poison Jab when she only used Light Screen. xP

I'll probably post another PotW before long though, so keep your eyes out for that!

Years
  • Very true, that is something I like, but I prefer Dragon Dance as it gets the jump on some nasty opponents like Ghetsis' Hydreigon in BW if you can get that in before it comes out.

Anyway, with another reply, now I can share another Pokémon of the Week! Here we go.
    558.png

Crustle, the Stone Home Pokémon. Competing for territory, Crustle fight viciously. The one whose boulder is broken is the loser of the battle. It possesses legs of enormous strength, enabling it to carry heavy slabs for many days, even when crossing arid land.

So they're strong and fight against each other, that means. That's neat.

Yeah, another Rock-type, but it's one I like. Anyway, Crustle's stats are not too bad, they're reminiscent of some of the fossil Pokémon we've had. Its HP is fair, Attack is above average and Defense is great. Its Special Defense is a bit below average and its Special Attack isn't good either, but its Speed is pretty slow, even lower than that of its pre-evolution, Dwebble. But it comes with two very nice abilities, especially Sturdy, which can save it from an attack that would OHKO it with 1 HP, and that gets even better when you find out it has Shell Smash. That makes for a fun combination to mess with opponents with. Its other ability, Shell Armor, prevents critical hits, which is always nice.

So, my questions for you:
    Have you ever used Crustle before, competitively or in-game? If so, when?

Do you like Crustle's design?

Do you like its Bug/Rock-typing? If not, would you give it another type alongside it?

If you were to give it a Mega Evolution, how would you go about it?

What's your overall opinion on Crustle?

Anything else you want to mention about it?

And with that, enjoy!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Have you ever used Crustle before, competitively or in-game? If so, when?
    In-game. In my Black 1 playthrough. My team's Crustle was basically our team's secondary carry when he had to step up and do some work. I don't personally play competitive gen 5 back in the day but a friend of mine did show how good the not-so-typical Shell Smash + Weakness Policy Crustle is in wiping out teams without priority or weather.

Hell yeah i do. I even love its model in the 6th gen games where it looks so big.

Do you like its Bug/Rock-typing? If not, would you give it another type alongside it?
    I definitely love its typing. I've mentioned it before in some other thread how i love the typing and how it removes some of the said types' primary weaknesses (Bug removes typical Fight and ground weaknesses of rock, Rock removes flying and fire weaknesses of bug) so it forces other options that Crustle could definitely handle well, maybe except steel types, though Crustle with +2 earthquake from Shell Smash can definitely dent steel types anyway.

Crustle is good on its own. I don't think it needs a mega evolution to be good,

It's definitely one of the gen 5 pokemon that I've grown to like after playing through Black 1. Its one of the oddball looking pokemon that can be loved not for its looks but for how good its potential is, at least in its competitive tier or casual playthroughs.

I'm thinking hard if i would want to have Crustle once again on my White 2 team, but I've already filled my team with 4, and three of them being physical attackers. My Starter oshawott is going to be built as a mixed attacker so he already counts as one of the 3 physical attackers in my White 2 team.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I actually just started using a Crustle the other day on my Black 2. Still have things to do in the post game and thought I'd use one because Shell Smash. Needed to get a little type variety too since I had done a mono-Fire run on it before.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Since i've already answered my fill with this week's question i gotta say something.

I just thought that since I seriously can't stand all the technical oddities of playing any of the Gen 5 games on roms thanks to NoFunGBA and slow as hell Desume, i just had to spend real money on getting a White 2 cartridge. So yeah i just bought the game. Before i shoot myself in the foot for spending money, I'm hoping that there's still a way for me to transfer some really good Gen 5 pokes (or pokemon that i would never get in X/Y into my Alpha Sapphire file) so that at least my purchase of White 2 is still somewhat worth it.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Since i've already answered my fill with this week's question i gotta say something.

I just thought that since I seriously can't stand all the technical oddities of playing any of the Gen 5 games on roms thanks to NoFunGBA and slow as hell Desume, i just had to spend real money on getting a White 2 cartridge. So yeah i just bought the game. Before i shoot myself in the foot for spending money, I'm hoping that there's still a way for me to transfer some really good Gen 5 pokes (or pokemon that i would never get in X/Y into my Alpha Sapphire file) so that at least my purchase of White 2 is still somewhat worth it.

Pokebank, download that then from its menu you can download the poketransporter app which allows you to transfer from B/W or B2/W2.

Years
    I never used one in the main story, but I sometimes rotate one onto my team in the postgame, as has been the case for me in both Black and X. It's really awesome to use if you manage to get the Shell Smash off, and that's when it really becomes a wrecker even if it has to sacrifice defensive strength but risk comes with reward.

I do like the concept with the Dwebble line, taking a traditional hermit crab but making it have shells made out of rocks. It's something nice and unique from my point of view.

I'm happy with its typing. Wouldn't change it.

I think it's too good to get a Mega at this stage, as XinZhao said.

In a generation that gave us so many strong Bug-types, I think Crustle is definitely one of the most notable of the bunch given it has one of the best stat buffing moves in existence, and its abilities are also both really good.

Years
  • Time to answer my own questions!

Yes, I have. I've used the thing three times last year alone, in Y, White, and Black 2 - in two Red Mono-Colors and the Hanukkah event challenge back in December respectively. All three times it had Shell Smash and Sturdy, which was fun to use.

Yeah, it's pretty nice being a hermitcrab with a big rock on its back. Fun stuff.

We do already have Armaldo, but that thing doesn't get to use stuff like Shell Smash or have Sturdy. Interestingly, they both have Shell Armor (well, Armaldo has Battle Armor, close enough). So yeah.

I wouldn't picture it being the kind to get more Speed, so maybe a speed drop with more Attack, Defense and some Special Defense too.

It's a cool Pokémon with quite a few attacks that it can use, with a fun strategy. And if it were a crabcake, it'd taste delicious :P

Not that I can think of...

There you have it.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Oh guess i should answer this one too!

In game in unova worked pretty well haha it kinda killed grimsley in battle too XD

Ya! Its got a design no other poke really has its shell is pretty cool and what it looks underneath its shell makes him look even more awesome i mean hes just a great looking bug type!

Do you like its Bug/Rock-typing? If not, would you give it another type alongside it?No i dont like it I LOVE IT haha the typing actually works though it gives him a limited amount of weaknesses only water and steel right? And makes it so rock types and bug types can be utilized without them being overun by supereffective moves!

Gigantic boulder on his back higher attack less speed is most likely ;)

Great poke alright competitively but can kick butt in game i personally like him a lot and theres not really anything not to like haha.

Ya i like how they Polish their shells to get the shell to be less weight and add to their speed i found it interesting especially with Cilans Crustle in the anime.
    Ya... Thats it haha

Years
    Nope. I do have one boxed doe, waiting for me to play NU or something.... but nope.

Ya. I always though it looked pretty cool.

I'm not really a fan of its typing. I'd say mono bug would be better, maybe Steel to go with it?

Stats: 155 Atk / 145 Def / 65 Sp. Atk / 115 Sp. Def / 25 Spe. Ability:

Overall not bad. Could've been given much better move pool and stats doe, then I'd totally use it. But I can't really expect much. After all, this is Troll Freak we're talking about. Ability: No Guard, Adaptability, or Aftermath

Nope.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nice that we had some people who like Crustle, that's always good. (:

So I haven't thought of what PotW I want to throw in next, or what topic to discuss. But i'm sure there's something I can go with!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • may i suggest that we may cover topics other than Gen 5 pokemon since after all, this is all about gen 5 right? Such as the PWT, the Rival(s), and anything related to the game other than pokemon. I always wanted to talk about the PWT as it is my favorite post-game content in BW2 as of the moment. Its so much fun taking on the gym leaders of that generation's past and present (:

Years
  • Almost forgot I still have this, haha.

Well that's what I leave topics open for suggestions for, haha. If anyone wants to pitch in ideas for topics, I always have those for consideration! Don't hesitate to suggest one.

VillageofDragons

On hiatus from PC forever
    Years
  • Username: VillageofDragons
    Partner Pokémon: Hydreigon
    Reason for joining: I really love generation 5. It's one of my favorite generations to date. It has some of my favorite Pokemon in it, tons of places to explore, a great story, awesome villainous team, and much more.
    Answer the current topic!: See below

What is your favorite Pokémon from Unova? Definitely Hydreigon. It's the one I've trained most from Unova, and I really like how original of a Pokemon it is and its unique typing.
    What is your favorite city/town from Unova? Definitely Lentimas Town. It's just so old and unique, and reminds me of a native american tribal village. It also reminds me of Lavaridge town from Hoenn because it's right next to a Volcano.
    How did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new pokemon? I was happy! I feel like giving us the option of older Pokemon in newer games takes the fun out of experimenting with how some of the new Pokemon work and function on your team.
    Which Unova Pokémon would you want to give a Mega Evolution to? Definitely Hydreigon. Almost all the other Pseudo-legendary Pokemon have mega evolutions, so why not Hydreigon? They could do something unique like instead of giving it more heads give it two arms maybe, or maybe even multiple how many wings it has (It has 6).
    Who is your favorite Gym Leader from Unova? It's a tough call, but I got to say Cheren. It's so fun to play Black and White and grow with him as a trainer, and then to play Black 2 and White 2 and meet him new again, but this time he just became a gym leader. I feel like he matured a LOT over his journey in the original Black and White and that's part of what helped him to become a gym leader.;

Years
  • Username: Spoony6205
    Partner Pokémon: Elgyem
    Reason for joining: Unova rocks! Gen 5 rocks! Team Plasma rocks! N rocks! Join Avenue rocks! So many neat Pokemon!
    Answer the current topic!: Crustle is pretty neat, he's made up of my two fave types! I don't think I've actually tried him in battle yet though, I should definitely rectify that!

Back