• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Crystal Sun

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Having an island filled with Honey Trees is a bit redundant.

How so, I think its a good idea. I like it cause its different...

Besides, im working on this alone so if an idea pops in my head I try it, and if I like it I try to keep it. But I post here to get others opinions
    So I can improve... and people can tell me if my ideas are stupid crazy or just plain dumb...lol

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Since you felt that your project was being ignored:

Welcome to the Pokemon Crystal Sun thread.
    No its not a crystal version remake, infact it has nothing to do with crystal Then change the name, completely arbitrary names are the bane of fan game development.
    Made in: RMXP
    screensfq.png
    Going from left to the right: * Generic map where the houses are too close together; * I hope that that isn't your logo; * You seriously see no problem in the character being more than twice the size of the chairs?; * Caves and tunnels don't form without there being some sort of rocky terrain nearby, they don't just pop out of the ground; * Same opinion as before; * The Pokemon games take place in a modern setting, they would know what's across the ocean; * Adequately mapped; * That room is far too square to be a natural cave, and if it were man-made it would probably be larger; * Generic battle screen; * Paths are far too wide; * Same as before; * Same as before; * Same as before, though I've never been a fan of the Essentials nighttime effect; * Actually one of the better maps; * Not much to say here.

I'm going to be completely honest I didn't want to post a thread, but I made enough progress to announce the game because it will be released.
    If you didn't want to post it, you shouldn't have.

My thread won't follow the traditional layout of most threads it will not contain story/plot etc... It will only contain screens and quick info on the progress. I intend to keep this release like most professional developers/companies do announce a title and show a few screens and people have to wait to play the game to experience the rest. I may release Sneak Peeks in videos but not much more.​
    That's not how they do it... We knew the basic details of the DPP story months before it was initially released.

New Screens 3/20/2010

Spoiler:

Ugh... the gradient in the intro is pretty garish. Your paths, in both outdoor maps and caves, are far too wide, still. And your island is too square.

EDIT:
    How so, I think its a good idea. I like it cause its different...

Besides, im working on this alone so if an idea pops in my head I try it, and if I like it I try to keep it. But I post here to get others opinions
    So I can improve... and people can tell me if my ideas are stupid crazy or just plain dumb...lol
    Honey trees are meant to be rare. It is very redundant to have an island where every tree is a honey tree.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Going from left to the right:
    * Generic map where the houses are too close together;
    * I hope that that isn't your logo;
    * You seriously see no problem in the character being more than twice the size of the chairs?;
    * Caves and tunnels don't form without there being some sort of rocky terrain nearby, they don't just pop out of the ground;
    * Same opinion as before;
    * The Pokemon games take place in a modern setting, they would know what's across the ocean;
    * Adequately mapped;
    * That room is far too square to be a natural cave, and if it were man-made it would probably be larger;
    * Generic battle screen;
    * Paths are far too wide;
    * Same as before;
    * Same as before;
    * Same as before, though I've never been a fan of the Essentials nighttime effect;
    * Actually one of the better maps;
    * Not much to say here.
    Your habit of replaying inside a quote box is both annoying to reply to, simply wrong (you're supposed to quote other people and then say your own things below), and completely childish when it's you doing your "trademark" lolzorz comments. Not to mention I think you posted in here just because you started an argument with KingCharizard in that other thread.

I see nothing wrong with houses "too close together". It's not like it never happens in real life, even when there's no need for them to be that close.

The chairs were pretty much too small for the other player sprites too. The pouffes were bigger than them. Besides, no one claimed Pokémon was all about striving for realism.

Caves and tunnels are made of dirt, which can have grass grow over them. It's more likely than you think.

Surely you sometimes wonder what it's like in the Himalayas or in a rain forest? Knowing what's there doesn't mean you know what it's like. Stop being so literal.

I will agree, though, that keeping with the default battle screen is boring (and so many people do it). It's easy to make just a few tweaks to the graphics and come up with something different.

Honey trees are meant to be rare. It is very redundant to have an island where every tree is a honey tree.
    The part where it's called "Honeytree Island" completely slipped you by, then? Besides, how do you know they're for slathering honey and encountering pokémon at? Maybe they're just decoration.

KingCharizard

Years
  • I seen some of your points a long time ago, for instance the caves didnt feel right to me either so I changed it to this:
    capture002.png

An as for the player being bigger than the chairs, Its a chair almost every1 is bigger than a chair except for toddlers:
    capture003.png

And I dont see a problem with my paths houses or anything else you've said.
    You only see part of the cave as its a screenie.
    And as for honey tree island maruno is correct they are decoration.
    But it is called Honeytree Island because its the only places honeytrees grow in bunches.​

Oh and here is a new video. A walkthrough of half the region!
    Click Here to watch magic :)

I've finally broke down and i'm giving the people what they want.
    capture003d.png

capture009.png

Last edited:

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
  • Nurse Joy Looks like she standing ontop of the Table.Other than that,I actually like all of it. Its HIS game.Let him do what he feels like doing.He is only asking for opinions If you want your ideas seen, join a team.Get active.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I actually like the new Poké mart and centre, I just don't like the houses.

@Yuoamon: In my experience the only people who quote like that are those who don't have the intelligence to add proper grammer. You need banned.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Stop attacking Yuoaman, he was just trying to help and hey look, it did! The game looks a lot better now thanks to his criticism, if you can't deal with criticism get off the internet, king Charizard dealt with it, then APPLIED IT, so simmer down @_@

KingCharizard

Years
  • Stop attacking Yuoaman, he was just trying to help and hey look, it did! The game looks a lot better now thanks to his criticism, if you can't deal with criticism get off the internet, king Charizard dealt with it, then APPLIED IT, so simmer down @_@

Lol yeah, he helped. Its just sometimes you get tired of hearing the same things said. So to make people stop you do what they ask. However I think it does look better, personally Im not a fan of the ripped tiles, but kyledove's are my favorite. The game now looks better, the revamp of the indoors will set me back on progress but it should be worth it. Glad to hear you approve so far poeman... Of course there is always room for improvement.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Of course theres room for improvement, but I'm not a good mapper so I can't help improve maps, but when I play the demo I'll be sure to point out every flaw >:3

KingCharizard

Years
  • Well the new demo is in the progress, It should be about a week or so, Have to finish a few things. But it will contain all the new changes you've seen in this thread and a few not shown before. Also if anyone know's where I can get the HG/SS Hero(male) battle trainer sprite please let me know. I have 3 frames of the female but only 1 of the male.

KingCharizard

Years
  • http://www.spriters-resource.com/
    They should have all the poses male and female.

I checked but i'll look again, actually thats where I got the 3 frame female it was posted on their forums.

Here is the last screens i'll release about the revamp... You'll just have to wait for more. Hope you enjoy!

capture000r.png

capture001a.png

credit goes to Newtiteuf & kyledove for the revamped tiles. Without their gorgeous tiles it wouldn't have been possible.​

Last edited:

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Hey, where have you been KC! I haven't seen you on Game Dev. I'm impressed this is better than any project I ever posted on this site. I need your help on a project... I will Pm you check it ASAP!

KingCharizard

Years
  • Hey, where have you been KC! I haven't seen you on Game Dev. I'm impressed this is better than any project I ever posted on this site. I need your help on a project... I will Pm you check it ASAP!

Uh, Yeah I got it... I'm not really sure I understand what it is you want get on the messenger. Thanks for the comments, but you should try to make another game, I'll loan you some resources...

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
  • I didnt mean to sound mad, in fact i meant it in a more encouraging tone.Anyway Cant wait for the new demo.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Thanks, I think the change was a good choice...

Here is the demo, also here is a few features to expect:
    • 2 Gyms instead of one.
    • Day/night encounters.
    • Updated graphics.
    • New story.
    • 2 New places to explore.
    • More balanced gameplay.
    • All bug fixes from the previous version.
    • And alot more...
    A Few errors/Bugs to expect:
    • Overall I'm pretty sure its bug free. but if you do happen to find one report it here.
    • Some graphics arent updated or complete. This shouldn't be a problem during the demo, but if you find a problem with a graphic please report it.
    Downloads:
    Spoiler:

Demo Released! Enjoy, please report any bugs.

Here is a small update from my newest map dont have a name yet. Its surrounded by mountains actually its kinds inside them, anyways here are some screens:
    capture016.png

PLEASE NOTE: This map is not in the demo.

Also for those of you who downloaded the demo please post your comments on how it was when you've finished it.

Last edited:

Route

Slowpoke
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    I like how you actually released a demo instead of just showing progress. This is one of the few games that actually have a demo, and you released one within the first month of making the thread. Also I believe you worked on this alone (?) while other games have whole teams and they still don't have a demo. Nice Job.

Anyways... I'll try it out.

EDIT:

Here are all the errors I have found until I got stuck in the second towns lab. Some of these happen multiple times.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

KingCharizard

Years
  • I like how you actually released a demo instead of just showing progress. This is one of the few games that actually have a demo, and you released one within the first month of making the thread. Also I believe you worked on this alone (?) while other games have whole teams and they still don't have a demo. Nice Job.

Anyways... I'll try it out.

Thanks, yes I am working alone as of right now. I am hoping for help, but as you can see its not required as I always find a way to complete my tasks on my own. Its actually the second demo i've released. The first one was released about 3 weeks ago. This one is completely different Updated story new graphics different encounters different battles new maps and more... After you play it please post any bugs or any concerns you've had with the release(I.e: crappy story, bad graphics ect..).

Also here is a quick info on my lattest progress...

4 New maps created
    New pokemon capture behavior(Script Updated) because of this:
    capturexwe.png

Took 6 pokeballs and 1 greatball while charmander was in this condition.

More will be released in about a week or so, when I post a huge update.

EDIT: Impressive beta testing :) , the mom error I knew about but not the others I'll fix them all right now. Oh and the mom error was fixed just didnt update the download. Have you played it all the way through yet? Please keep the error reports coming...

Last edited:
    Back