• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Fire and Lightning - Generation V Fan Club

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
  • @Odyssey- Could you possibly link that article on popular Unova Pokemon? It sounds interesting~
    @M. Eelektross- Y'know, I'd love to see it! Eelektross is one of my favourite Unovian Pokemon (the top 10 favourite Unova keeps changing expect for my top 2 :P) and it's a Pokemon who also can use a boost.
    And I'd love to see Mega Jellicent! But yeah, that Knock Off boost.
    Druddigon could use one too, I kind of wish it'd be a regular evolution of Dragon/Rock though.
    M. Hydreigon and Mienshao though. <3

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Here's the article! It's pretty interesting to see how Japan feels about Unova Pokémon. :3

1. Chandelure
    2. Whimsicott
    3. Reshiram
    4. Reuniclus
    5. Hydreigon
    6. Serperior
    7. Snivy
    8. and 9. Oshawott and Joltik (tie)
    10. Lilligant
    11. Zekrom
    12. Galvantula
    13. Pansage
    14. Scollipede
    15. Volcarona
    16. Emolga
    17. and 18. Zoroark and Litwick (tie)
    19. and 20. Victini and Minccino (tie)
    21. and 22. Haxorus and Bisharp (tie)
    23. Tympole
    24. Samurott
    25. Audino
    26. Zoroa
    27. Stunfisk
    28. Mienshao
    29. Cofagrigus
    30. Vanilluxe

what is this blasphemy

faf

Years
  • >Sees the article.
    >Scrafty isn't there.
    >Is now sad.

I'm quite surprised Stunfisk, Pansage, Tympole and Vanilluxe on there. Also, they misspelled Zorua in the article. :P But, thanks for linking~ :)

@Zekrom- Don't worry, I prefer Zekrom over Reshiram.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm a Zekrom > Reshiram person. Let's start a club shall we?

It's pretty interesting seeing how Japanese fans feel about Unova. If you were to ask fans from the UK or America for example, they'd probably put Vanilluxe on the '30 most hated' list alongside whatever else they find uncreative or dumb.

Also how is Tympole more popular than Samurott? I thought Samurott was insanely popular since it was a starter and all but apparently not. They completely excluded the Tepig line as well, haha.

I'm all for some of the choices though. Lillipup, Scolipede, Whimsicott, Hydreigon, Audino and Zekrom just to name a few. Stunfisk's a cutie too. <3

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    >Sees the article.
    >Scrafty isn't there.
    >Is now sad.

I'm quite surprised Stunfisk, Pansage, Tympole and Vanilluxe on there. Also, they misspelled Zorua in the article. :P But, thanks for linking~ :)

@Zekrom- Don't worry, I prefer Zekrom over Reshiram.

Surprised to see that Scrafty isn't on the list either. I could definitely see it in some Top 50, though.

This may be a little farfetched, but I have a theory. I believe the reason why Stunfisk, Pansage, Tympole and Vanilluxe are on there is because of a joke on Pixiv. I frequently go on that website and it's not hard to find art without these four, especially Tympole. Japan has a strange taste in humour, I tell ya. :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally would have put Zekrom above Reshiram, primarily because, in my opinion, its design tends to be more... global, so to speak; like latter, former doesn't look too feminine. Reshiram does sort of seem like that mainly due to its body color, which is white, orange, and a mixture of red and pink. Plus, it's got some fur surrounded, which are rather on the elegant side.

As for Scrafty not being on their list, I'm kind of surprised about this as well, considering how popular it seemed to have been when generation five of games were first introduced and whatnot, as I had stated in one of my earlier posts. I've seen it being used on a lot of teams while battling online.

It's popularity have indeed dwindled over the years, however, which is a little disappointing to see,

Nakala Pri

How come no one likes Reshiram? It's so god-like and awesome! It's the only reason I chose Pokemon Black. And isn't it the only Dragon/Fire Pokemon out there? (Except Mega Charizard X) It's a rare, odd typing but it sorta works. Zekrom's design isn't as radiant or awe-inducing. But it had got a sort of wicked quality. I still like it but it's still Reshiram ftw! :P

I started a new file on Pokemon Black 2. Is it possible to get a Teddiursa? And is it worth using a Watchog? Thanks!

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Sorry I haven't been active enough in here ;-;

But I have to defend Reshiram's honor. Despite back in gen 5 seeing about 90% demands for Zekrom on the GTS, and significantly less for Reshiram, the article says Reshiram ranks higher in Japan's favorites? That's surprising. However I have to say personally I find Reshiram a fair bit cooler. Both typings are unique, but Reshiram's design just looks majestic. It has flowing feather-like wings, and a body that could be made of clouds - and it's literally the Blue Eyes White Dragon of pokemon. (Seriously, anyone else catch that? Zekrom is red eyes black dragon too.) Zekrom looks very intimidating, is is possibly more competitively viable; but Reshiram just looks cooler. Be it as it may, that Zekrom looks b.a.

Nakala Pri

Anyway, on my Pokemon Black 2 file, I keep finding myself piling up Normal types. I realize that Super Fang and Hypnotize are heaps useful, but there is something off-putting about Watchog. Maybe because anyone who uses it never comes back? :O *puts on detective hat*

I'm tempted to use a Stoutland, but I've already got one on my Omega file so I'm totally conflicted. I'd LOVE to use Cobalion but you have to wait until you're like, level fifty to get it. Maybe I should use a Krookodile, like the good old days! :D

Years
  • Seems we sparked a rather interesting discussion while I was gone, huh?

Anyway, nice seeing Scolipede on that list - even at #14 i'm glad seeing my bro on it. And Stunfisk is on the silly side, but i've used it before in the post-game with B2W2 and once in XY, it's definitely usable since its Defenses are good all-around.

I myself have used Watchog in both White 2 and White before, the latter of where it lasted me a good while up to the Elite Four. It was good stuff while I had it, it went all-out diabolic mode on Grimsley's Krookodile with Flash before succumbing to his Bisharp. =(

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Stunfisk is my favorite dopey pokemon of any generation. ('nother reason I love gen 5) Plus it has a really underrated unique type combination, ground and electric are two REALLY capable offensive typings that go fairly well together. The typical flying immunity to ground can't be abused since electric knocks birds around a fair bit. The only thing it can't handle is ground/flying. And hidden power ice plays well for that.

Speaking of stunfisk though - that was one of the first things I retrained in sixth gen, to bother Talonflame brave bird spammers. Bulk and flying resistance, with Static as an ability can really ruin that offense.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the glory that is Stunfisk?

Spoiler:

I love Stunfisk! As mentioned before, I really think people underestimate his strength as a pokemon. He's fully capable of dealing and soaking up damage on his own while also taking the title of 'most derp' easily. But it's one of my favourite parts about him - his design! Anyone else?

And I've never used a Watchog, sorry! I was always one to use it as a HM slave though it doesn't seem half bad. One of my friends used it to great effect during a link battle we had, so go for it. But yeah, I think its design was what really made me say "lol no" when I first played through B/W. The rigid body posture and eyes, ugh. :(

Come to think of it though, I haven't actually used any normal types in B/W. Maybe I'll try using a few in my next runthrough?

Nakala Pri

Stunfisk standin in a corner
    dj aerodactyl mixin the beats
    mr mime showing off
    to a chatot who is too busy with her tweets
    stunfisk goes onto the dancefloor
    everyone is gaspin
    he does a whirl a twist and a twirl
    KAABAAAM
    wubwubwub KAAABAAAAM

I suck at rap. XD

But hey, I might get a Stunfisk and call it Sophie. >:)

Yeaaaaaah, I'll get one! :D I already have a Patrat called Louise who is lookin' mighty fine and Super Fang is so awesome! And I could get a Blitzle, too! Maaaaybe an Emolga, since Double Team and Volt Switch appear to be quite... useful. >:) I hate planning teams. ): I'll totally get a Vullaby! Never used a Mandibuzz but it's Move set is good and it's stats aren't terrible. If I can get a Teddiursa I'll get a Ursaring! :p

DAMN I CAN'T GET A TEDDY >:O

Or a Miltank! >:I Does anyone know that if I use a DS2 on my DSi that I can connect to another DSi and schedule a trade? Thanks!

faf

Years
  • I actually like Reshiram! I think it has a lovely design and works well with the Yin Yang concept. Never used Watchog but I've used Stoutland and I loved it. I even found a shiny Herdier on my White file! I do like Stunfisk too but my love for Scrafty made me feel crushed that the former was there and it was not. But I guess some people like to be silly. :P
    @Nakara- Nice rap! And I believe you can trade between those DS's.
    @Aslan- Do a mono Normal type solo! :D I believe there should be enough Normal types: Watchog, Stoutland, Unfezant, Sawsbuck, Braviary, Audino and Bouffalant. You could use Meloetta if you haven't transferred it but mythical Pokemon tend to make the game easier. :P

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Maybe I will, haha. I'll look around for either my White or Black 2 and see how it goes.

Speaking of Braviary, does anyone else think it evolves too late in the game? At the very least, they could of thrown in a midway evolution or reduced the level to 40 as opposed to 54. Even pseudo legendaries don't have to wait that long for evolution. :(

Regardless it's a great pokemon and one I'll look into using, monotype or not.

I don't mind Reshiram either. As a person who prefers truth > ideals, it's the pokemon I relate to more. And the pure white design isn't half bad, it's quite angelic actually. (if that's the right word?)

Years
  • Braviary was cool, I remember using it in the post-game of my first time through White. It was fun, even if Sheer Force was rather wasted on it due to not having many moves to use it with. But at the same time, White 2 made it more interesting by allowing you to catch one at only Level 25 with its Hidden Ability on Mondays, which was a fun thing. I never used it in any of my plays through it, but that was really neat that they did. Amerikuh!!

Although this does make me want to do a PotW just to promote a bit more discussion in here.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Braviary is one of my favourite Pokémon. I used one in White, and as much as I liked using it, I was really disappointed with how late you can catch it. I never got White 2, so I can't say anything about the one with its Hidden Ability.

But what I love most about it is what it's based on. I love birds, especially birds of prey. I also love how it has the personality of a soldier, as seen from both its design and its Pokédex entries. To be honest, it took me until last year to realise how much I really like Braviary, as I was rather indifferent to it at first. It's still a cool Pokémon regardless. Plus it has a pretty Shiny forme.

Hey Pendraflame, I got a suggestion for a new topic. Perhaps we should talk about out favourite Gym Leader/Elite Four character of Unova. What do you think? :3

Years
  • Braviary was cool, I remember using it in the post-game of my first time through White. It was fun, even if Sheer Force was rather wasted on it due to not having many moves to use it with. But at the same time, White 2 made it more interesting by allowing you to catch one at only Level 25 with its Hidden Ability on Mondays, which was a fun thing. I never used it in any of my plays through it, but that was really neat that they did. Amerikuh!!

Although this does make me want to do a PotW just to promote a bit more discussion in here.

I think a Pokemon Of The Week is great to help not just promote discussion but also give some often overlooked Pokemon a bit of a spotlight alongside the fan faves.

Anyways, I do love Braviary for the same reasons as you said. It's a strong attacker and learns some powerful moves, and it's also cool that you can catch one with Defiant every Monday in White 2. It's actually really strong for most of the game, as Marriland's White 2 playthrough series proved. It's annoying that you normally get it so late, but it's definitely fitting given how strong it is, and it has a cool-looking shiny color as well.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A Defiant Braviary wrecked me in the Battle Maison once. Didn't know that it had Defiant, switched in my Gyarados with Intimidate, proceeded to get wrecked....

Back