• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First rule of Fight Club: Don't talk about Fight Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Everyone I speak to said they found A-Levels harder than their degree... I so disagree! XD

A-Levels = final year of college
    Degree = University​
    Every time I think I understand the education system in the UK something like this happens. I thought A-levels were what you took to get into college. Or into university.

I found my last year of college to be a lot harder than my last year of high school, but I also slacked off a lot in HS.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Every time I think I understand the education system in the UK something like this happens. I thought A-levels were what you took to get into college. Or into university.

I found my last year of college to be a lot harder than my last year of high school, but I also slacked off a lot in HS.

College in the UK is like grade 12 HS for Canadians (not sure about the US) but the way I understand it.. college in the UK is like prep for University.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm going to a ten month beauty school within the year, so I have no idea what any of the stuff you guys are talking about means. :D The LEAST I have to do to get into a beauty school is to take a test that almost literally asks, "Are you going to do well in our school and as a stylist? ___Yes ___No"
    Legit. I did graduate from high school though, so I'll always have that diploma, too.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I'm going to a ten month beauty school within the year, so I have no idea what any of the stuff you guys are talking about means. :D The LEAST I have to do to get into a beauty school is to take a test that almost literally asks, "Are you going to do well in our school and as a stylist? ___Yes ___No"
    Legit. I did graduate from high school though, so I'll always have that diploma, too.

That's cool! What kind of stuff do you want to do in particular? Cosmetology? Hairdressing? Personal stylist?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    That's cool! What kind of stuff do you want to do in particular? Cosmetology? Hairdressing? Personal stylist?

Hairdressing. c:
    I will be going to Vidal Sassoon Academy in Santa Monica, California, though, which is a BIG jump from Louisiana small towns, but I'm a city boy at heart, and am all for it. I got into wanting to be a hairstylist after watching a reality show called "Shear Genius", which was a competition about cutting hair, and the winner got all this money and stuff. It was an awesome show. Tabatha Coffey is my biggest hair idol, and I watch her show every time it comes on. c':

Years
  • Every time I think I understand the education system in the UK something like this happens. I thought A-levels were what you took to get into college. Or into university.

Primary School = SATS (Age 4 - 11)
    Secondary School = GCSEs (Age 11 - 16)
    College = A Levels (Normally age 16 - 18)
    University = Degree (Normally 18+)

Does that help? :3​

Years
  • Hairdressing. c:
    I will be going to Vidal Sassoon Academy in Santa Monica, California, though, which is a BIG jump from Louisiana small towns, but I'm a city boy at heart, and am all for it. I got into wanting to be a hairstylist after watching a reality show called "Shear Genius", which was a competition about cutting hair, and the winner got all this money and stuff. It was an awesome show. Tabatha Coffey is my biggest hair idol, and I watch her show every time it comes on. c':

Santa Monica? That's so close to where I live LOL.. A Bus ride away from UCLA heh. XD

Still that's nice, although before college it was my Mom who cut my hair so lulz. xP

As for University life, go do what you love. It helps your grades and certainly makes you feel better.

I personally switched from a Biology major to Political Science and now I'm actually paying attention, plus don't feel like crap in class.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Hairdressing. c:

OMG That's awesommee!!!

@_@ I LOVE THAT SHOW TOO! I Love Tabatha! Man it's SO hard to find like.. hairdressers that are PASSIONATE about what they do. I wish Tabatha could cut my hair ;_;

The last time I had a haircut I showed them pics of me with an older style I had (but my stylist moved away) at like 4 different angles, and asked them to recreate it.

>_> They messed it up so badly that they ended up giving me my $150 back. And this was with a "senior" stylist. Ugh.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Ardent about cutting hair?
    Enter the Zohan.

I've always been curious to know the motivation behind a passionate dentist, I would love to know exactly why... Wonder what drives them.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Not sure about that, because dentistry isn't really an art, or discovery of something, but I am sure there are people who love to make people feel confident about a beautiful smile and that's what their motivation is. :3 Making people happy ftw~

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    A priori, cosmetic surgeons must make the world go round of gaiety.
    People who've attained that degree of altruism would creep me out, to devote your career to that notion...but they're surely out there.

A majority of people I've known in the field have been either cornered into making the decision or have opted for the profit in private practice.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • A priori, cosmetic surgeons must make the world go round of gaiety.
    People who've attained that degree of altruism would creep me out, to devote your career to that notion...but they're surely out there.

A majority of people I've known in the field have been either cornered into making the decision or have opted for the profit in private practice.

Well for me.. I want to create characters that people will watch or play and be able to laugh, cry, be excited about, or be entertained.. and.. I don't think that's creepy at all. To be able to make something that'll move others is a pretty nice achievement IMO. But maybe I just think that because I want to do it.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Awh man, the way you added that bit of uncertainty in the end irks me. I've never been able to form an opinion over man and his proposed inherent selfishness. People like that creep me out because they're not easy to come by, and so it's unusual, more astonished & thankful than creeped out I suppose then.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    OMG That's awesommee!!!

@_@ I LOVE THAT SHOW TOO! I Love Tabatha! Man it's SO hard to find like.. hairdressers that are PASSIONATE about what they do. I wish Tabatha could cut my hair ;_;

The last time I had a haircut I showed them pics of me with an older style I had (but my stylist moved away) at like 4 different angles, and asked them to recreate it.

>_> They messed it up so badly that they ended up giving me my $150 back. And this was with a "senior" stylist. Ugh.

Tabatha is a goddess. DDDD: I love her. I'd love to work for her. I'm extremely excited to get to cutting hair. Id love her to cut mine, too! ;; my hair would be gorgeous. <3

Oh my gawd. I hate it when their "senior stylists" suck, and you have to pay so much. Like, why the heck are you the most expensive even though you suck?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Awh man, the way you added that bit of uncertainty in the end irks me. I've never been able to form an opinion over man and his proposed inherent selfishness. People like that creep me out because they're not easy to come by, and so it's unusual, more astonished & thankful than creeped out I suppose then.

Haha I guess so. I just wrote that because that's just how I feel at the present time. It's something I've always wanted to do but dreams do change overtime. Though mine hasn't changed ever since I could remember (besides me being like.. 6 and wanting to be a power ranger when I was older) but.. yeah :3 I think it's a nice thing to strive for.

I also love that Tabatha's Salon Makeover show @_@ Man she knows what she's talking about <3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always get my hair cut at the cheapest place around, lol. I like my hair but not enough to spend serious money on making it look better when I think it looks fine with the cheap stylists XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Santa Monica? That's so close to where I live LOL.. A Bus ride away from UCLA heh. XD

Still that's nice, although before college it was my Mom who cut my hair so lulz. xP

As for University life, go do what you love. It helps your grades and certainly makes you feel better.

I personally switched from a Biology major to Political Science and now I'm actually paying attention, plus don't feel like crap in class.
    totes didn't see this omfg i so sorry. ;;

And yeah! The school is three blocks away from the coast, so the cost of living in that area is a pain in my booty. it's the reason I'm still in LA. =A="
    But where you live? o.0

Is she a stylist, too? o3o Or did she just do the whole mommy cuts lil' baby's hair?

Heck yeah it does. my mom actually works at a university here in Louisiana, and I get free tuition there as well as any other four-year university in this state. So of course she has the son who wants to go to school in CA. xD She's proud, though.

That's good! I actually thought about being a History teacher, but then realized I would probably punch somebody, and decided to keep history research as a hobby, instead of a career. c':
    You wanting to be a politician or something? o3o

@ Kura: I LOVE THAT SHOW OMFG. <3 The amount of oblivious owners and bad employees amazes me every time I watch it.

@ Toujours: y u no care like i do? :c
    I mean I'm not about to blast $150 for it, but I love my hair omfg. <3 Of course I wanna be the stylist you DO have to pay $300+ for. B]
    What's ridiculous is that people will do that, too, just for a haircut. ._.
    But i'd make friends and family cheap as dirt, and give them expensive haircuts/treatments. c:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I paid like 30 bucks for my last haircut and felt like I had spent a lot of money, lmao. Someone has to support the little guys!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I paid like 30 bucks for my last haircut and felt like I had spent a lot of money, lmao. Someone has to support the little guys!

Yay! I actually intern for a hairstylist. She and I are in a small barber shop with her husband, the barber, it's a two chair shop with one full time shampoo bowl, her chair and supplies, a shelf with her color on it, his chair and his barbering tools, a SMALL desk in the corner, and big windows. Is so cute and nice.

POINT IS, I THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LITTLE GUY, cuz that's what we are. c:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back