• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Fighting Ultimate Challenge: Kanto Update

So I started the game, chose Charmander because I figured Blastiose would be easier than Venusaur or Charizard to defeat, and caught myself a Mankey. It evolved into Primeape around Cerulean City. At the Rock Tunnel, I caught a Machop, which soon evolved into a Machoke, which I then hack-evolved into a Machamp. I went to Saffron City, where I defeated the fighting dojo trainers and got a Hitmonlee. Then I went and caught a Poliwhirl, which I evolved into a Poliwrath. So, with my final team lineup finished, I saved near Saffron City. I'll be heading to Silph Co. next.

Team

Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • I've made it to the Elite Four in Emerald for my Normal Monotype and need to grind up some levels to challenge them. Since I wasn't in the mood for much grinding I decided to start up Y and managed to finish it. I'll update again soon when I complete Emerald :)

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Badges
    50px-Bug_Badge.png
    50px-Cliff_Badge.png
    50px-Rumble_Badge.png
    50px-Plant_Badge.png
    50px-Voltage_Badge.png
    50px-Fairy_Badge.png
    50px-Psychic_Badge.png
    50px-Iceberg_Badge.png

Hall Of Fame & FIN
    Spoiler:
    Final Team
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Fighting Ultimate Challenge: Kanto Update

Finished Kanto. After taking down Team Rocket, I swept through the remaining Gym Leaders. Once I made it through Victory Road, though, I realized that I had no chance of beating the Elite Four without some serious training. So after a few hours of grinding in Victory Road, I took on the Elite Four another time. I forgot Gengar/Haunter had Levitate, so my Earthquake strategy didn't work. I taught Psychic to Poliwrath, so that made Agatha easier. Lance was surprisingly easy. Secret Power paralyzed his Dragonite, letting me take it down. And my rival was easy, as always. Except for his Exeggutor. That was pretty hard to take down.

Final Team

Spoiler:

I'll probably play Gold next.
    What's the first Fighting type available in Gen. II?

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    What's the first Fighting type available in Gen. II?

Since you're playing Gold, your first would be Poliwag in Violet City with the Old Rod. :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dragon Update #1

Crystal: 8/16

I've played through Crystal with Horsea as my starter, and used him until I got Extreme Speed Dratini from the Dragon Elder. I've beaten the Champion and I'm ready to go to Kanto.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Update 1!

A young boy,creep had overslept. He was dreaming about a Pokemon called spiritomb.108 I think was her name. The child woke up abruptly to the mews.TEAM PLASMA HAS BEEN DEFEATED! A BOY NAMED HILBERT DEFEATED THEIR GOAL OF WORLD SOMINATION!

Fast forwards 2years and here I am.

So choosing oshawott as my starter, I headed with bianca to the Pokemon centre, where she told me all of the basics of the game. As soon as she left, I rushed over to the PC , logged on and got a spiritomb out. She has a weird ability I thought.

My journey continued as many a trainers woould have, making my way to flocessy ranch and fighting my rival. However I had the upper hand, as I had an immunity to the very common normal attacks.

My journey was a breeze, taking out Cherenkov and Roxie with little to no items in battle. Then I got cocky. I used a half held spiritomb with one fresh water to beat birgh.the battle actually went alright until I missed hypnosis and lost. After restocking up on items, I rematches and beat him.

I was now quite exited as I had cases to a new Pokemon! Ya mask. However training took a while until it learned will o wisp, as it's only attacking move against audino was return.

However I managed to train it and defeat elesa with night shade to earn my fourth badge.

Spiritomb
    Faint attack
    Hypnosis
    Spite
    Ominous wind
    Lv 32

Yamask
    Faceless
    Will o wisp
    Return
    Night shade
    Hex.

I'm exited as faceless will probably be evolving before the next badge so yay!

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Here is the first update on my Ground Monotype in X! I got the first three badges a while ago (in March, I believe) and yesterday and today I got the fourth and fifth badge and finalized my team! Now, I'm training them up before moving on.

660.png
    Diggersby / lv41 / Surf, Dig, Take Down, Double Kick
    450.png
    Hippowdon / lv41 / Earthquake, Take Down, Crunch, Dig
    105.png
    Marowak / lv40 / Boomerang, Bone Club, Headbutt, Thrash
    340.png
    Whiscash / lv30 / Surf, Mud Bomb, Magnitude, Water Pulse

Type:
    ground.gif

✔Pokemon LeafGreen Version
    076.png
    034.png
    028.png
    051.png

✔Pokemon HeartGold Version
    076.png
    195.png
    208.png
    034.png
    473.png

✔Pokemon Ruby Version
    260.png
    323.png
    330.png

✔Pokemon Platinum Version
    389.png
    472.png
    445.png
    464.png

✔Pokemon Black Version
    530.png
    537.png
    553.png
    623.png

Pokemon X Version
    660.png
    450.png
    105.png
    340.png

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    After completing my Furret solorun of Y, I've decided to give monotype challenges a go. I've included my application below, but I do have a couple of questions:

1. In rule #1, it is mentioned that "monotypes may not be stacked into a single run". I need clarification on what this means exactly.
    2. Could I be allowed to graduate from a Single challenge to an Ultimate challenge should I choose to do so?

Forum User Name: Call me Gamma
    Pokémon Type: Fighting
    Challenge Type: Single (for now?)
    Game(s): FireRed

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Forum User Name: RefinedHornet
    Pokémon Type: Ghost
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Games: Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, X

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • After completing my Furret solorun of Y, I've decided to give monotype challenges a go. I've included my application below, but I do have a couple of questions:

1. In rule #1, it is mentioned that "monotypes may not be stacked into a single run". I need clarification on what this means exactly.
    2. Could I be allowed to graduate from a Single challenge to an Ultimate challenge should I choose to do so?

Forum User Name: Call me Gamma
    Pokémon Type: Fighting
    Challenge Type: Single (for now?)
    Game(s): FireRed
    That means that no single run of a game may be used to complete 2 types, like for example using all Pokemon who share Water and Ice type and trying to use it as both.

Yes, any Single can be turned into an Ultimate at any time.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    That means that no single run of a game may be used to complete 2 types, like for example using all Pokemon who share Water and Ice type and trying to use it as both.

Yes, any Single can be turned into an Ultimate at any time.

Thank you Sage. With that, is it safe to assume that I may start the challenge and begin posting updates?

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    My FireRed monotype run is well underway and I'm here with the initial update!

Following the obligatory intro banter, Gamma and his unwanted squirtle hightailed it to route 22
    where he encountered an understandably uncooperative lvl three Mankey.
    Five pokeballs later, the sour ape was collected and aptly renamed "Pacquiao".
    What followed should simply be described as a violent "scratch-fest" through
    Viridian forest on the way to the first badge.

Brock stood little chance against the numerous karate chops that fell upon his rock types.
    With his first badge, and a shiny new pair of running shoes, Gamma and Pacquiao set off for Mt. Moon.

Team:
    :t056: lvl 12 "Pacquiao" (Mankey, Jolly, male)
    Scratch
    Leer
    Low kick
    Karate chop
    :t007: lvl 6 "Shellback" (Squirtle, Hasty, male, HM SLAVE)
    Tackle
    Tail whip
    -
    -

Playtime: 56 minutes

Last edited:

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    We rejoin Gamma as he continues his rigorous journey through Kanto...

Mt Moon proved a challenge for Gamma and Pacquiao, but their perseverance survived in the name of conquest. Emerging from the subterranean catacombs with little more than a useless dome fossil as their prize, our weary travelers pressed on toward Cerulean City.

No sooner than they arrived did a pesky tot spewing insults challenge their skills in battle. Gary and his poorly handled pokes were dispatched with ease, as were the trainers that stood between Gamma and Bill's lodge. With ticket in hand, a short trot down to Vermillion City to visit the SS Anne was in order. A RAGE filled Pacquiao laid waste to the passengers there, soon taking a more suitable form as he evolved into a fearsome Primeape! Gary emerged again for further beatings, but again failed to impress. The CUT HM was acquired and their next mission began: acquisition of the Cascade Badge.

Misty and her starfish fell quickly, leaving Gamma and Pacquiao free to return to Vermillion and collect the Thunder Badge. After ensnaring an Oddish and training it in the ways of weed whackery, the trainer and his angry cohort laid waste to LT Surge and his trash can laden gym.

Leaving Vermillion, Gamma headed to Cerulean once more to acquire a much needed bicycle on his way to Rock Tunnel. Once there, he could finally build on his one poke team of fighting furies. Soon after entering the dark cavern, a reliable machop dubbed "Chokehold" was recruited. Grateful to finally have the help, Gamma and his crew set off into the depths of the Rocky cave, undoubtably to be greeted by an unknowable measure of screeching zubats.

Team:
    :t057: lvl 34 "Pacquiao" (Primeape, Jolly, male)
    Scratch
    Focus energy
    Rage
    Karate chop
    :t066: lvl 23 "Chokehold" (Machop, Hardy, male)
    Low kick
    Seismic toss
    Focus energy
    Karate chop
    :t007: lvl 6 "Shellback" (Squirtle, Hasty, male, HM SLAVE)
    Tackle
    Tail whip
    -
    -
    :t043: lvl 15 "Weedwacker" (Oddish, Bold, female, HM SLAVE)
    Absorb
    Sweet scent
    Poisonpowder
    Cut

Badges: 3 Playtime: 4 hours, 27 minutes

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Emerald is finished for my normal types!

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Badges
    50px-Stone_Badge.png
    50px-Knuckle_Badge.png
    50px-Dynamo_Badge.png
    50px-Heat_Badge.png
    50px-Balance_Badge.png
    50px-Feather_Badge.png
    50px-Mind_Badge.png
    50px-Rain_Badge.png

Gym Leaders & Pokémon League
    Spoiler:
    Final Team
    Spoiler:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    After my last update, I took the time to catch Whiscash up to the rest of my team then traveled to Laverre City and defeated Valerie. After dealing with Team Flare at the PokeBall Factory, I traveled to Dendemille Town and defeated Team Flare in the Frost a Cavern. Then I was finally able to travel to Anistar City where I defeated my rival and Olympia, earning my seventh badge. Now I had to deal with Team Flare one final time. I flew to Lumiose City and defeated Lysandre and his grunts in his lab, then flew to Geosenge Town where I caught Xerneas and defeated Lysandre for a final time. Then I flew back to Anistar to continue my journey. I traveled through Couriway Town and defeated Professor Sycamore, and on my way to Snowbelle City I defeated Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor. After getting to Snowbelle City I had to go to the Pokemon Village to find Wulfric. Then I spent some time leveling my team up before earning my final gym badge. Next, I traveled through Victory Road, defeating my rival in the process. Once I arrived at the Pokemon League, I adjusted my team's movesets then charged straight into battle! First I took on Siebold, who was pretty challenging; with the use of some Full Heals Hippowdon helped me pull through in the end. Next was Drasna, who was pretty easy to deal with thanks to Whiscash's Ice Beam. Then I defeated Malva and Wikstrom, who were the easiest of the four. Finally, I took on Diantha. She proved to be difficult, but not too bad. After being entered into the Hall of Fame, my final battle with began. He wasn't difficult, with his Pokemon's levels being significantly lower than Diantha's. Overall, Hippowdon and Whiscash were my stars, and Diggersby surprised me (even though it wasn't quite as useful as the other two). Marowak was definitely more useful in the first half of the game, and just wasn't too useful in the end. And with that, my Ground Ultimate Monotype is complete!

660.png
    Diggersby / lv64 / Earthquake, Return, Hammer Arm, Grass Knot
    450.png
    Hippowdon / lv65 / Earthquake, Ice Fang, Crunch, Thunder Fang
    105.png
    Marowak / lv64 / Boomerang, Flamethrower, Retaliate, Thrash
    340.png
    Whiscash / lv65 / Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, Waterfall, Ice Beam

Type:
    ground.gif

✔Pokemon LeafGreen Version
    076.png
    034.png
    028.png
    051.png

✔Pokemon HeartGold Version
    076.png
    195.png
    208.png
    034.png
    473.png

✔Pokemon Ruby Version
    260.png
    323.png
    330.png

✔Pokemon Platinum Version
    389.png
    472.png
    445.png
    464.png

✔Pokemon Black Version
    530.png
    537.png
    553.png
    623.png

✔Pokemon X Version
    660.png
    450.png
    105.png
    340.png

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Sorry just a quick correction, you have me listed in the as an Ultimate Champion for Normal types but I still haven't beaten the Sinnoh or Unova regions.
    I can't remember what games you played, so I put placeholders in there. I don't know why I thought you were done.

dontstay96

Grass-man
    Years
  • I'll do my 2nd monotype :)

Forum User Name: Dontstay96
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Black

I'm going to do a Fire monotype because I kinda hate the fire type, so I'm trying to like it a bit more haha

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back