• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 16, 2014
I woke up early in the morning, only to find out that I was finally the age to become a pokemon trainer! I walked downstairs and immediately ran out of the house. In my excitement, I forgot the Potion stored in my PC from my 3rd birthday. I was in such a rush, I ran straight into the grass to go catch my first pokemon! When I was about to go further, Professor Oak stopped me in my tracks and some stuff happened later. Eventually I ended up with a Pikachu and beat my friend who I have deemed the title of "Rival" to. He actually stole my eevee, but it's ok because I got a Pikachu instead. Ever since I was little, I had an obsession with Electric types, and decided never to use any pokemon that are not Electric type.

I did a little wandering around, but I somehow ended in the first Gym with my Level 11 buddy. The first guy wasn't too tough, a few quick attacks and both his pokemon were down for the count. I thought that guy wasn't so tough, so how bad could the gym leader be? I decided to try to find out, and it didn't go well. The only move that my Pikachu can use to even harm his pokemon is Quick Attack! After all was said and done, my pikachu was unable to battle and I Reloaded my save went to the pokemon center, and from there did the only thing I know to do in this situation. Grind to a stupid high level so his pokemon didn't stand a chance. After getting to level 16 I decided to fight him again. His Geodude went down after some good luck with crits, and it left me at his Onix with 3 HP. I used 2 potions to get as close to max as I could, and used Tail Whip until his defense couldn't get any lower. After potion-ing up again I went in for the kill with 5-7 quick attacks, and his beast was slain. And professor Oak told me that I couldn't win with a type disadvantage! After gaining his badge and TM 34, I decided to go to the pokemon center and call it a day.

Yellow 1/8

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Hey! BookFangirl here with two ds' on one side and her laptop on the other ready to do 3 monotype runs at once!
Forum User Name: BookFangirl
Pokémon Type: Dragon
Challenge Type:...Single, I really don't have the time to do this, but I want to, so I am.
Game(s): Ruby, Diamond, X
(Really sorry to bother you, But I'm a little confused about rule number 1, what does it mean?)

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
(Really sorry to bother you, But I'm a little confused about rule number 1, what does it mean?)

It means you must have at least two completely usable pokemon before the E4.

For example, you can't have it like this.
Salamence Lv.60
Bagon Lv.25

it has to be like this
Salamence Lv.60
Altaria Lv.60

And this is just an example, you can use any non-legendary Pokemon of your type you want that is available in-game.

I hope I helped. :)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
So I was looking through my Pokemon on my old Diamond game, and I noticed a mono-Poison team that I had migrated from Kanto, and I suddenly remembered that long ago I actually completed a Poison Monotype run through LeafGreen! So I did some more digging, and I found the final (and very thorough) update here. I'm pretty sure the rules haven't changed since 2008, so can this count for the Kanto leg of my Ultimate Poison? Also, it's kinda fun reading through that old challenge that existed before the time of the Challenges forum.. there was actually a rule where once a person claimed a type no one else could do the same challenge!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Update no.1!
Starting with Xbecause I just finished it a few days ago+ I already have my first pokemon.. its a level one gibble. cause I can.

START GAME
Met professor sycamore, told him i'm a guy (Really not, I just wanna play as a guy)
My name: John
Met Serena, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor
Chose Froakie as a temp until I can get the gibble from my bro.
Bubbled shauna's Fennekin, and ran home to my mom after winning
Opened super training and learned the basics cause I still dont have my gibble...
Same with Pkmn Amie
Got a free potion in Aquacorde
learned how to catch pokemon /w serena and shauna
Caught a junker (to trade for the gibble) And froakie is now lvl 7.
Battled youngster austin and won
Entered santalune forest and found a potion.
Obtained a paralyze heal from shauna.
Battled Lass Anna//Froakie fainted, had to use a lvl 2 fletchling oops...
Won with 4 hp left, Fletchling leveled multiple times
had shauna heal my team
Found another potion
Exited the forest
Entered Santalune City
Bought a hat.
Fought rollerskater outside santalune gym, obtained skates.
(FINALLY MY BROTHER WOKE UP)
Caught a bidoof named hm slav
OBTAINED GIBLE NAMED YOUWEREEEVEE (There's a story.)
Fought and defeated preschooler oliver with gibble, now lvl 3.
Ground gible to lvl10, challenged viola, lost, went to pkmn center, and chalenged again.
Won, gible is level 13 now.
END UPDATE 1
POKEMON X PROGRESS (1/8)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Update no.1!
Starting with Xbecause I just finished it a few days ago+ I already have my first pokemon.. its a level one gibble. cause I can.

Unfortunately, you're not allowed to trade in a Gible for your challenge. According to the second rule, you can only trade in a Pokemon of your type if you can't obtain one before the third gym. I'm not sure which type you're doing, but if it's Ground you can find Bunnelby on Route 2 before the first gym, and if it's Dragon you can find Axew and Bagon in Connecting Cave and on Route 8, respectively, before the second gym. Just wanted to let you know before you get too far in your challenge! :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to trade in a Gible for your challenge. According to the second rule, you can only trade in a Pokemon of your type if you can't obtain one before the third gym. I'm not sure which type you're doing, but if it's Ground you can find Bunnelby on Route 2 before the first gym, and if it's Dragon you can find Axew and Bagon in Connecting Cave and on Route 8, respectively, before the second gym. Just wanted to let you know before you get too far in your challenge! :)
Oops.... That was a big oops on my part, and unfortunately I'm too far in to fix my mistake, I already have a bagon and axew, I just got there... Well, poo. :/

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
So it seems that they had a new thread for the Monotype challenge and I just realized now, LOL.

So here's my signup/update

Forum User Name: LilJz
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Type: Single
Game(s): Gold

Update

Badges Obtained:
50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png
50px-Fog_Badge.png
50px-Storm_Badge.png
50px-Mineral_Badge.png
50px-Glacier_Badge.png

Current Pokemon Team:
Spr_2g_017.png

Pidgeotto♂
Level 32
Swagger, Sand-Attack, Fly & Quick Attack

Spr_2g_203.png

Girafarig♀
Level 32
Agility, Growl, Confusion & Stomp

Spr_2g_241.png

Miltank♀
Level 32
Mud-Slap, Attract, Shadow Ball & Strength

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Pokemon Firered Fire Update 3

Spoiler:

Current Team
Spoiler:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've decided to work on finishing my Ultimate Steel Monotype next, and I'll be playing the three games that I need to finish it (HeartGold, Pearl, and X) side by side. So here is the first update on those three games!

HeartGold
I started with Totodile and rushed through the first gym to get to Union Cave, where I caught my first team member, Onix. I spent some time leveling up, then traveled to Azalea Town where I defeated Team Rocket at the Slowpoke Well. Then I easily swept Bugsy's Gym, thank's to Onix's Rock-type STAB. I had some trouble defeating my rival, but eventually I was able to travel through Ilex Forest to reach Goldenrod City. I immediately went north to the National Park, where I won the Bug Catching Contest by catching my second team member, Scyther. I then caught it up to Onix before taking on Whitney, who was more annoying than difficult. Then I traveled north to Ecruteak City, and immediately west to catch a Magnemite (which was luckily enough holding a Metal Coat!). As I was training Magnemite, I caught a Stantler with Frisk then searched for another Magnemite holding a Metal Coat. Eventually I found one, and I traded to evolve both Onix and Scyther into Steelix and Scizor. I spent some more time training Magnemite, then battled my rival in the Burnt Tower and got Surf and Strength. Finally, I was ready to take on the gym! Morty proved to not be too challenging, so I easily earned my fourth gym badge!
208.png
Steelix / lv27 / Rock Throw, Harden, Sandstorm, Headbutt
212.png
Scizor / lv27 / Pursuit, Wing Attack, False Swipe, Fury Cutter
081.png
Magnemite / lv27 / Tackle, Spark, Thunder Wave, SonicBoom

Pearl
I started the game and chose Piplup so I could eventually have the Steel-type Empoleon on my team. I was able to power through the start of the game, and defeated Roark pretty easily thanks to my Water-type STAB. Then I traveled through Floaroma Town to Eterna City, where I immediately got my Explorer Kit. I spent quite some time digging until I found an Armor Fossil, which I took straight to Oreburgh City to have it restored. Then I went back to Eterna City, where I narrowly defeated Gardenia.
394.png
Prinplup / lv26 / Pound, Metal Claw, BubbleBeam, Peck
410.png
Shieldon / lv21 / Taunt, Metal Sound, Take Down, Iron Defense

X
I started yet another run through Kalos, this time picking Fennekin as my starter. I went straight to Route 3 and caught my first team member, Burmy. I had to do a lot of training before I was even able to take down Viola to earn my first badge. Afterwords, I moved ahead to Lumiose City, where I defeated Professor Sycamore and met Diantha at Cafe Soleil. Then I traveled through Camphrier Town and did the Parfum Palace side quest so I could get to the Battle Chateau, catching Honedge along the way. At the Chateau, I was able to allow my Burmy to evolve so it would have a Trash cloak and be part Steel-type. Then I traveled around and defeated any trainers I had skipped before traveling to Ambrette Town. Once there, I traveled to Glittering Cave where I caught my third team member, Mawile! After training a little, I defeated Team Flare then traveled to Cyllage City. I explored the town, then took on and defeated Gym Leader Grant, earning my second gym badge.
413-t.png
Wormadam / lv25 / Confusion, Tackle, Bug Bite, Hidden Power (Ghost)
679.png
Honedge / lv25 / Aerial Ace, Shadow Sneak, Fury Cutter, Pursuit
303.png
Mawile / lv26 / Fairy Wind, Astonish, Vice Grip, Bite

Type:
steel.gif

Pokemon HeartGold
208.png
212.png
081.png

✔Pokemon Ruby
303.png
306.png
227.png

Pokemon Pearl
394.png
410.png

✔Pokemon Black 2
448.png
462.png
530.png
476.png
625.png
376.png

Pokemon X
413-t.png
679.png
303.png

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Since I will be doing monotypes this summer, might as well, sign up for this right.

Forum User Name: Kurobat
Pokémon Type: Ground
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Y

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Forum User Name: MistressofMightyena
Pokémon Type:Electric
Challenge Type: Single
Game: Pearl
~MistressofMightyena~

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Firered Fire edition update 4

Spoiler:

Current Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 16, 2014
Pokemon Yellow Electic Update 2
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
It means you must have at least two completely usable pokemon before the E4.

For example, you can't have it like this.
Salamence Lv.60
Bagon Lv.25

it has to be like this
Salamence Lv.60
Altaria Lv.60

And this is just an example, you can use any non-legendary Pokemon of your type you want that is available in-game.

I hope I helped. :)
Hey, just wanted to point out that some legendary pokemon are allowed now. Only the pokemon banned at battle facilities are not allowed.

Anybutt, thanks for answering questions and such while I don't have stable Internet, guys.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Monotype Ground
Badges: 4/8
Current: Done KOGA
Update #1:
  • Started as a boy named J.
  • Got Bulbasaur as starter for decreased difficulty.
  • Defeated rival.
  • No available ground type before first badge so speed run!I just realized there is a possibility of Nidoran on Route 22. I just checked Bulbapedia. ;_;
  • more speed run until Mt. Moon
  • Got Geodude.
  • Grinded for a few hours.
  • Cleared Mt. Moon
  • Arrived in Cerulean City.
  • Defeated Rival with ease and Tackle+ Rock Throw
  • Currently finding difficulty with Misty
  • Defeated Misty with Earthquake! :)
  • Acquired Diglett
  • Currently grinding Diglett
  • Evolved Diglett.
  • Defeated Rival again, in S.S Anne.
  • Defeated Lt Surge.
  • Went back to Route 22 and got Nidoran F.
  • Currently grinding said Nidoran.
  • Evolved Nidoran to Nidorina
  • Caught Onix in Rock Tunnel
  • Defeated Erika.
  • Kicked team rocket out celadon AND lavender.
  • Grinded a lot.
  • Got Nidorino and Rhyhorn from the Safari Zone.
  • KO-ga.

Some pictures! Huge pictures!!!!
Spoiler:

Current team:
75.png

Graveler lv. 45
~ Strength
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Throw
~ Mega Punch

51.png

Dugtrio lv. 44
~ Scratch
~ Slash
~ Dig
~ Sand Attack

30.png

Nidorina lv 38
~ Bite
~ Tackle
~ Horn Drill
~ Poison Sting

95.png

Onix lv 34
~ Tackle
~ Rage
~ Slam
~ Rock Throw

111.png

Rhyhorn lv 28
~ Horn Attack

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Pokemon Firered Fire Update
Fighting Fire with Fire
Spoiler:

Years
Forum User Name: Shyphonics
Pokémon Type: Fighting
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black, and X.

If I need to do both Black and Black 2 I will.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Ultimate Ghost Monotype Red Update:
-hacked in a Gastly
-defeated rival in Pallet Town
-defeated rival on Route 22
-defeated Brock
-Gastly evolved into Haunter
-defeated Misty
-defeated rival in Cerulean City
-defeated rival on the S.S. Anne
-defeated Lt. Surge
-Haunter evolved into Gengar
-defeated Erika

Team:
Spoiler:

Also, shouldn't I be a Champion for my Fire monotype?

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
If I need to do both Black and Black 2 I will.

you dont

Firered FireMono Complete!

Spoiler:

Final Team
Spoiler:

MVP: Charizard, i mean its sheer power was destroying so much stuff and believe me without him i wouldnt have beat the E4
LVP: i really dont want to say flareon, poor dear gets too much hate but sadly i must say flareon.
it was a decent hard hitter but especially late game it became quite lackluster and was just too slow and missed some nearly crucial kills, special mention though to Lance's gyarados since without that Max Damage double edge i dont think i wouldve beaten Lance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back