• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Selfie Syndrome

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    So, today I got followed on instagram by a girl I knew from elementary, and I gave her profile a look. She posted 6 selfies today, all taken in one session, I assume. This was her second selfie session of the day. I unfollowed. How many selfies do you take, how many do you post, and how many is too many?

I mainly take one when I think I look good that day. That's why I only posted 2 last year. Sometimes when I have a snapchat conversation and I think my hair is acceptable I send like 12, but thats to one person, and I try to make them dramatic. The only time I make a lot of selfies is when I'm taking a long and boring poop.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • ^pretty much this. Like, if I feel that I look good (i.e. my hair looks absolutely FABULOUS), then I'll take a selfie. But then 99% of the selfies I take look like this at the end:

mqdefault.jpg

My facebook is full of people taking selfies. That's one reason why I don't bother logging on anymore. Also, on my flight to Houston on Monday, there were two teenage girls using their SELFIE STICKS to take selfies of themselves and they never ever ever stopped throughout the freaking fight. >____<

Just take three, then choose one, delete the other two.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have taken a grand total of one picture of myself in my life. Never was into selfies.....

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I barely post selfies. On Instagram, I post a selfie maybe once every few weeks. Although recently I posted one selfie like every 2-3 days for about 2 weeks which doesn't happen often. I usually just post stuff like a meme or a drawing I made. There's also selfies I take with my friend if she's up to it.

As for Facebook, well I barely post photos of myself anymore since it usually goes to Instagram. The only photo I ever change now is my profile picture.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • for whatever reason I feel weird posting selfies of myself to social media, it feels kinda narcissistic or something even though that's not the case as I do enjoy looking at other peoples' selfies for the most part. so I don't post many. but whenever I feel like I look particularly good I'll take a few anyway. also when I'm snapchatting somebody that is female chances are I'm sending selfies to them. because I'm terrible.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I take selfies maybe...once a month or longer than that. I've gone months without taking them tbh, that was mainly when I just didn't care or my confidence was meh.
    On my instagram my newest one was in December so there's that. I like to post my photography on that site and the occasional rare selfie. I don't like a lot of my selfies and especially don't like if others take one of me, I'm just not that photogenic. My last selfie session thing was about a week ago cause a friend of mine was wondering how I look like now since it's been forever lol.
    So overall, I'm not obsessive over selfies like most people these days but I like to take pictures every once in a while when I feel good.
    Oh, and I hate going out with friends that spam snapchats and all that crap. I feel like I look bad in a lot of them (I think) and it's also annoying, I wish people could just go one hang out session without having to show off a bunch of pics.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Haha Selfies. Reminds me how I inherited my aunt's iPhone when she got a new one and her phone was masses full of selfies. Like waaay more than a regular selfie person would normally take - it was kinda scary O_o

I pretty rarely take selfies. More or less my unconfident self wouldn't be likely to post them if I ever did take any. I take one every once in a while - then again the last time I posted my picture on PC would have been about 3-4 years ago and I don't think I've changed much either xD

As well with snapchat, I think I've only taken one selfie ever and sent it to a friend of mine. When you're friends look attractive all the time in their snapchats and then there's you look meh most of the time... I swear I use Snapchap 95% of the time to receive other people's stuff than me sending to them.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I don't really take selfies. I'm fine with the occasional self portrait, but I don't see the point of taking a phone and jamming your face in it and taking a way-too-close picture of yourself in front of a national monument or natural wonder. If you're gonna take a picture why not just take a picture of whatever it is you're in front of and say you were there?

I guess it's just the inner photographer in me nitpicking but again it seems truly pointless to me. You don't even get that much of a person IN the picture, just their face in an awful angle.

Years
  • I only take selfies if I end up realizing that I don't have any kind of recent casual picture of myself.

And then they never get posted anyway because I'm highly self-conscious about how I look, go figure. But at least I would still have them in case I change my mind.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    I take them occasionally, I'd say a couple times a year? I don't have Snapchat so there's no real reason for me to take them often unless I want a picture and I have no one to take it lol. When I can I usually get someone to take a picture for me instead of a selfie because I think regular pictures look better.

Years
  • Am not really a fan of Selfies. Whist they are harmless fun for a lot of people, some people take it to far infact its one of the reasons I left facebook, I was sick of seeing the ugly mugs of people I didn't like that much pop up on the news feed all the time.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I take them every now and then. The concept of there being a positive correlation between number of selfies and narcissism irks me a little. I don't see it as narcissism unless the picture is being shoved down your throat (the multiple selfies in a row would be considered that). But once every couple days just shows confidence in one's self, which is something that should be admired as far as I'm concerned.

I refuse to take another selfie till I cut my hair though. Ugh.

Years
  • I only take a selfie maybe about once a year. It's cuz there are only so many ways I can take a selfie with my cheap camera phone and I don't really think I've changed much in appearance over the past 3-4 years. Even though I like to ensure my looks are on point, it rarely possesses me to take a photo of myself on most days. The only time the selfie-taking rate increases is under special circumstances (like if out-of-state close friend would like to see an outfit) or if I'm dating somebody (and the pics are sent only to them.)

I'm grateful to say that my friends on facebook don't spam selfies. If I ever see photos of them, it's taken by another person usually. But regardless, whenever I see pictures of my friends they look great! :)

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I rarely ever take selfies. When I get new animal hats though, I do get really carried away with pictures. Same with when I'm doing selfies of me on my cosplays. Any other time, if I'm feeling really good that day, I'll take one. It just depends on whether I feel like I should. I'm not saying I don't feel very confident about myself though.

To be honest, I don't really care. If people want to waste time taking selfies... let them do it. I don't see any harm it since they aren't hurting anyone. Sorry, I just don't really get all this shit about how selfies are bad. It seems like just about everything is bad these days. There's just no need of it in my opinion, you know?

My friends rarely take them. I mean seriously. Even if they took a dozen, I wouldn't care. It can't be any worse than me flooding them with over 300 pics of Gotcharocka I uploaded or spam fangirling in statuses every five seconds, that's for sure... I hardly ever care about Facebook much anyway. I don't even use instagram except to follow PelleK, Colosseum Thesis, a Gotcharocka fanpage and Ruki. If you went to my instagram right now, you'd see that its empty. As for my twitter, that's pretty much filled with me fangirling over Gotcharocka and posting pictures of them. Same goes for my Facebook as well.

I'm always spamming my friends... and they don't really seem to care. They just ignore it and leave me alone.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have taken a grand total of one picture of myself in my life. Never was into selfies.....

one picture of yourself by yourself or one picture of yourself total? I'm like 99% sure its the former, but just making sure xD
    I take selfies for snapchat, never really any other time

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I take a picture of myself once every few months, usually after some physical change has occurred. Like losing a lot of weight, getting new glasses, or a hair cut. When I do these sessions, I take several until I pick one that I like. Then I set it as my profile picture on social media.

On occasion as well, I will take pictures of myself for different reasons too. When I can't find a suitable reference for a human pose that I need for art, I'll take a picture of myself doing the pose to get a better understanding of it. I also take pictures of myself for anatomy purposes. These are pictures that I never really show to others, 'cause they tend to look dumb.

I don't really care about people taking pictures of themselves. Most of the time, they look stupid though. Especially if they do that thing where you can see their arm clearly holding their phone. That's the only thing that annoys me. I use my webcam for my pictures or have someone else take the picture so it doesn't look so silly and amateur like that. Otherwise, I just giggle when people are making duckfaces or attempting to look attractive and failing.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    It really just depends for me. I average like... maybe one every month or two? I do get crazy urges to take selfies right after I get my haircut though, but I think that's to show my friends like "LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!" lol. Or on the rare occasion where my outfit is extraordinary for me.

I took a pic of my boyfriend and myself in Time Square a month and a half ago when we spent a day there and I saw no less than four or five people using selfie sticks lol...

I think I've only posted one selfie (on Twitter) since then too, so, yeah. I wouldn't say I'm excessive.

Back