• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hide your love of Pokemon from other people?

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
  • I don't actively mention it, and I get very flustered when even my nephew watched it once. I don't know why, but... I hate talking about my love of Pokemon to ordinary people. =/ It's a history thing, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    i hide it from people. no one i know in real life plays it anymore. i dont like letting people know im scared that they will make fun of you. but im so close to not even caring anymore. i think if anyone asks me if i play it im just gonna say yes and if they make fun of me i dont really care. :/

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • Throughout high school, yeah. Through primary and now college, no.

As far as my parents are concerned, they were quite happy with me liking it until I was about 14 (18 now), but since then (although they don't really mind), they occasionally make the odd jab about it being a child's interest. But on the flipside, I play things like The Last of Us, The Walking Dead, Uncharted, Heavy Rain... so they can't really complain that I'm just sticking to kids games.

Years
  • I'm also new here. Hello everyone!
    Yeah I used to hide my love for pokemon throughout middle and high school but when i turned 19 I started not caring what other people thought and flaunted my love for pokemon and the only hate I got was from people who were jealous that I was confident in the things that truly made me happy. So never try to hide what you love! You are who you are and it took me a long time to realize that being who you are and the things that genuinely make you happy shouldnt be something you have to hide. And who knows, maybe you will meet someone who also shares your passion and you end up having a great lifelong relationship because of it??

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I do hide it. D: In real life, I'm extremely shy and awkward in social situations, and I tend to be paranoid about being judged. I'd love to have someone I can share my love of Pokémon with, but I can never bring myself to say something. Very occasionally, I would see someone playing or whatever, and I want to go up to them and talk, but I always feel that what they're doing is none of my business. I tend to have this "don't speak unless spoken to" mentality and don't like to interrupt others. >_< But if someone asked me specifically if I like Pokémon, and I don't detect/imagine a hint of derision, then I'd likely become chatty. Aaaaa, I wish I was more courageous! D: This is part of the reason why I'd love to go to something like Pokémon Symphonic Evolutions.

Years
  • Everyone who knows me knows I love Pokemon. People I meet on the street don't... until my phone rings or I somehow get on the subject. (which happens a lot) I have been a proud Pokemon Master for almost 16 years.

Dr. Wiggles

Free Thinker
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it anything other than a hobby. I play the game occasionally. I wouldn't tell others I play it, but if they asked I would say from time to time.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    If I was hiding it I wouldn't choose to have a Pikachu Wallet. Or a Pikachu Lanyard. Or wear my Pikachu Shirts whenever I felt like it. Or my Ash hat (not like many people realize it's his since it's his BW hat but). Not to mention my phone background is Ash, my ringtone has been Pokemon related for years now, and so on and so forth.

Basically, I gave up "hiding" it a long time ago and just kind of do whatever I feel like. If people want to judge then so be it but it's not my problem.

Matthew

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    I admit I do try to hide it from my friends. My siblings don't really mind it and they occasionally play the games. I grew up with a group of friends who really didn't live their childhood and skipped ahead. My very close friends do know I still like Pokemon and they don't judge nor care tbh.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    To be honest, I kind of do. Not the fact that I love pokemon, that's kind of obvious in this household. (Heck, i'm even planning to wear some Alpha sapphire shirt to school XD)

Though my drawings remain pretty hidden while I work on them, and I only show them to friends for feedback (who seem to love my drawings ^ ^")

Other people (for instance, at school) don't get to see my drawings, nor love for pokemon. They'd only mock me for it :V

Years
  • I don't know if I would call it hiding but I definitely do not announce it on microphone. It's just a game but sometimes I feel like because I'm older I guess but i know a lot of people my age play it so idk.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
  • I stopped caring about two years ago on what others think of me, i found out that in the middle of my desperation to become popular was that i was doing things that were not like me to fit in a certain circle and left the things i really loved and care about. I dont shout out loud i love pokemon, but then again i dont hide my 3ds on public. I cant hide anymore the things i love and like even though im in my 20´s got a formal job and all that stuff.

Oh, yesterday i met this really into anime stuff girl who literaly lives for those things... we started talking and i heard all this amazing and creepy stuff she does in the world of her anime. I thought telling her i loved Pokemon would make her feel comfortable with her taste. So i told her ¨hey i like a lot Pokemon too, its like your love for anime, heck i even saw the world championship this weekend and..¨ when she interrupted me and said: ¨wow i thought i was on a immature level but you went sky high with that. Doesn't it embarrass you?¨

Oh the irony. I told her no and thought, what a jackass lol ( sorry just wanted to post my story)

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • Nah, I think it's stupid to hide something you like. People are so focused on looking mature for some reason. I've always been the person that never gave a damn about what others think of me. Plus if you hide it, you might miss the chance of meeting some pretty awesome people that like the same things as you do. You attract people that are compatible with you by being yourself after all. That's just my approach on it though :P

Also welcome to the community! :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    I play showdown at my high school in the mornings and after school and the reactions are kinda mixed. Most people are like "How are you doing that, I wanna play" and others dont really care. Im gonna buy this Espeon hat and start wearing it when it isnt so hot outside.

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • I hide it because my friends look down on it and the people who play it at my school are really dumb and/or overobsessed people who only think about videogames, and may or may not live with their parents until they're 30... not something i like to associate with

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • I've gone on Pokemon forums at school, but I'm usually super quick to get down to the point where I'm typing a post or just hiding the Pokemon part 'cause I dunno how people would look at me for that sorta thing. .-. I usually just tell people that I know share an interest in Pokemon with me that I like the franchise.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Never. Why care how others perceive you when you're doing nothing harmful? People are going to find any reason to dislike you, anyway, so I just do what I do regardless.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Nah, not at all. I'm guilty of geeking out whenever Pokémon games are released, for BW2 and XY's release dates, I painted my nails as Poké Balls like this lol (not my nails, but the exact same design. I sometimes flip it, though). One of the employees at GameStop freaked out and took pictures of them and everything when I picked up White 2 on the release date. It's all good fun.

Back