• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hide your love of Pokemon from other people?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • Let's just say that as an intern at Wells Fargo, you get judged enough. >_>

<_<

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I would usually think it would be best to hide that i'm a Pokemon fan due to me being 23, but after seeing how a lot of Pokemon Fans are older or the same age as me, it never seems to bother me. It's not a bad thing being a Pokemon fan here since the worst you can be is a Chuunibyo.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    I stopped telling people I played Pokemon when Generation 3 came out, by that point I was just leaving primary school (elementary school) so the only people that played Pokemon were considered children. This carried on up into secondary school until HG/SS came out and suddenly everyone was playing it again even in college a lot of people played Pokemon. I never hid the fact I like the games I was just never in a crowd of people that liked the games as much as I do.
    I guess it's just as you grow older you don't care what other people think of you. You can enjoy what you want.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    It's more that I don't mention it. I don't hide it, but I don't center my "me" around liking Pokemon or Anime or Video Games.

If someone asks me if I like Pokemon I'm not gonna lie. But I think that many people are still shy or I guess think it's socially unacceptable and that's why they don't mention their "nerd" hobbies/interests.

But it's kinda nice that for the past couple of years people are more and more accepting. At least thanks to the internet people that are simply shy can still meet people and make friends with hobbies(like this forum) such as theirs.

This is basically it for me. I only really play the games now, but back in the day I watched the TV show and played the TCG too, so its not secret to most people that I used to really like them, they probably just assume I grew out of it by now lol.

If someone asked me, I would be honest with them, because I don't think very many people would know to ask, and those that did would be those I was comfortable enough with anyhow.

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • Well, my parents only think that I play the games. They don't know how serious I am into it. Very few of my friends are into it. I have caught some of my friends in it but I don't bother them as I know they are embarrassed. I don't own any shirts or toys. I don't collect the cards anymore. I only go into Gamestop to buy the games. So, to conclude, I do hide it.

Years
  • Love is maybe a little bit too big word for me. Well, I don't hide it. When people ask what am I playing, I simply answer with Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    If someone asks me if I like Pokémon to this day, I answer with a yes regardless of whether they make fun of me or not for it but hey, their opinions aren't going to dictate what I like and don't like now.

Crystal Glaceon

Devious
    Years
  • I don't hide the fact I'm a Pokefan. I have a glaceon charm on my phone and 3DS, my wallet has the Kanto starters on it, and my belt as well. It's a hobby and something I've always really enjoyed, so to me there is no shame

Years
  • Only middle schoolers thinking that they've grown out of "kiddy stuff" make fun of Pokemon, so no, I don't hide the fact that I play Pokemon.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • Of course not! The things you do build your character, as well as stuff you enjoy spending time on. I'll bring it up in conversation sometimes because, why not? Other people talk about sporting and academic achievements, so sometimes I'll just slip into the conversation I caught mewtwo or something :) They don't really understand what I'm talking about, though.

Years
  • I don't hide it necessarily, I just don't tend to be very forthcoming with the fact that I'm a fan of it if that makes sense. Like if it's brought up in conversation by someone ("I used to have a Gameboy, loved playing Pokémon on it") or something similar then that's when I'd tend to be like "OMG ME TOO! I still play it actually" and would have a discussion about it from there :)

I like talking about it with people that have had the experience of playing it before or are at least interested in it, whereas if I mentioned it to someone and they responded with "Isn't Pokémon for kids? Lol" then I'd feel bad - not cause they're judging me but because they're judging Pokémon with no more knowledge than that, so really I'd rather just share my interest with the people that I know won't judge :)

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
  • I mean, it's not like I just talk about it (or show it off exessively) if it's not relavent to a given situation. I don't really hide it either. Most people either don't care in university, or enjoy it themselves. No ones seemed cared in the workforce yet either.

Daisuke Mitsuharu

Punching Bag
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2023
    Not really haha; it's more the polar opposite if anything. Some might see it as childish, but in the end, it won't matter as much. We all do different things and we all have different interests; you do what you like to do, and I do the same. It really isn't fair if someone's berated for something as silly as taking part in something they enjoy doing. All in all, I'm pretty open about it!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I don't actively mention that I play Pokemon unless someone else brings up the topic. I've generally tried not to bring it up for years, and I don't really like to go into stores and ask about it. The stigma associated with Pokemon seems to have declined as I've aged, though, and a lot of people I know either like it themselves, played it when they were little but no longer have feelings about it either way, or simply never played it at all, so I'm more open about it than I used to be. Generally, though, my interest in Pokemon isn't really relevant to the conversations I have with people, so I don't bring it up.

Back