• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Don't take offense, but... it's too generic. Try to make is asymmetrical! I would extend that mountain down to the lower-right and divvy up the pathway so that is looks more natural.

I don't know what you mean by divvy up the pathway. Could you explain?

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I don't know what you mean by divvy up the pathway. Could you explain?

In mapping, by my experience, the worst thing you can do is make things straight. You should make them as entirely random as possible. I think that would help this.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
In mapping, by my experience, the worst thing you can do is make things straight. You should make them as entirely random as possible. I think that would help this.
Well, not entirely random. 'Organised chaos' is the thing you're after. Straight to some extent makes sense for something like a town or other man made environment. Elsewhere should have curves and flow in twisty, spirally patterns. Route 119 is a great (but not perfect!) example of this. However, when designing your own maps, this sense can take some time to develop. In this case, it appears as if you've simply higlighted a large square of trees and hit delete to make your space. Try rounding it out a bit in the corners, or take some treets out of one of the edges, or break it up with different levels of elevation.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
coco_shore_village_by_glitchdoodles-d794v14.png

The starting town of my Game.
"Coco Beach Village", a village on the coast of northern Valoria, The player lives her with his Grand Father and Grand Mother.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Abandoned Mansion, a post-game area from my game Blaze Red & Lush Green.
...You can never guess what Pokémon lives there! >:D
a546b215ddcb03ffed1b80963f3a26b7.png

Hmm, this layout reminds me of the Old Chateau...

Totally not Rotom, nope!

On topic, is it mapped similarly to the Old Chateau for a reason?

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Hmm, this layout reminds me of the Old Chateau...

Totally not Rotom, nope!

On topic, is it mapped similarly to the Old Chateau for a reason?

Well, this area is basically made soley for Rotom, so I thought it'd be a nice touch for the player to recognize the layout/design of the area.
I guess I could've made it different, but why fix something that isn't broken?

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Well, this area is basically made soley for Rotom, so I thought it'd be a nice touch for the player to recognize the layout/design of the area.
I guess I could've made it different, but why fix something that isn't broken?

Will the Ghost people be in there?
The Girl, Boy and Butler?

~ <3

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
@The Glitch. I like it, having a mart inside the starter town is something I might think about. Think about a few rock smash rocks to make coming back a little more special, there's Rock tiles under the cave stairs(Don't know if sand would look better there or not.), and a "gate" into the closed garden?.

Sable City, center is the school. I don't really like the right third.
E06oFYK.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017

I like it. I'd just add more layers to the hills in the top and bottom left corners. More layers make them look cooler IMO.

Spoiler:

A part of Route 10 in my game. The short maze leads to Team Aqua's hideout. What do you think?

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
E06oFYK.png

It's a fine map layout, but the execution is so-so.

You have a lot of "visual clutter" such as puddles and flowers, crates and storage containers.
This is for filling out emptiness, I know, but you have too many different ones, so it ends up just looking messy.

Next, the road, it is 3 wide at places and 2 wide at other. Stick to one size.
If the road is 3 thick, only take up the bottom tile with house roofs and if it is 2 wide, don't cover it at all! (I'm looking at you, windmill!)
Otherwise, the playing space feels too cramped.

Futhermore, the trees to the north have a different tiling pattern from the southern ones. This looks weird. Stick to one style. (I recommend the style you used in the southern part or the official straight style.)

And finally, I see you have recolored 2 of the roofs to be the same color. This is a step in the right direction, but the 2 houses are still too different to fit together. Try recoloring the walls and door to be the same as well.
The bigger problem though, is that you mix town and city buildings, making the player conflicted as to wether it's a big or small town.

In this case, I'd recommend replacing the 2 buildings to the south with the orange roofed houses, but without doors.

Still, I'd give this map a 7/10.

Good luck!

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Thanks tImE(and Alex). Edited version, it never occurred to me that I could stick a second window instead of a door on these houses.
Spoiler:

@Alex: It's definitely hidden inside that long maze. It's a little flower heavy, I think it'd look better with more bushes instead, and those odd trees really stick out. Are they your headbutt trees?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Thanks tImE(and Alex). Edited version, it never occurred to me that I could stick a second window instead of a door on these houses.
Spoiler:
I just noticed how the sign on the left part of your map is positioned directly above a hill tile, and can't be read from below. I'd move it above the street (Next to the white fence).

@Alex: It's definitely hidden inside that long maze. It's a little flower heavy, I think it'd look better with more bushes instead, and those odd trees really stick out. Are they your headbutt trees?
I guess you're talking about the small tress that are a different shade of green. They're not my headbutt trees, I like to put them on maps to add a little diversity in color. But you are right, they're too many of them here. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back