• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
screenshot__171__by_ladysesshy-d75r2em.png

screenshot__169__by_ladysesshy-d75r2fs.png

Your home town and a sea route below it. I haven't added in any people yet.

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I don't know how people are posting the maps without the lines on it. If I post the layers under the event layer it looks glitched.

Open the drop-down menu "View" in RPG Maker, and un-check "Dim Other Layers".
That makes the other layers not become dark.
Simply check the option again, when you are done.

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Open the drop-down menu "View" in RPG Maker, and un-check "Dim Other Layers".
That makes the other layers not become dark.
Simply check the option again, when you are done.

I edited. Thank you very much.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Spoiler:

Your home town and a sea route below it. I haven't added in any people yet.

oh where to begin...

First I like the idea, concept, set up, etc.

There aren't too many beach front areas, especially not enough regions that utilize oceanic travel, etc - and this area is either that, or another kanto mash-up. One where you start off in 1 direction, and the latest area become accessible through a beginning area.
All in all, ts a very nice idea,
however, the approach is less than adequate.

There is far too much gravel near a beach there than there should be, also I particularly don't like that autotile, it may just be me but it is unappealing.

I'd recommend a nice sand path, maybe even a grass one, something other than that, and used in much more moderation.

Your biggest problem other than that, it's way too square - square and boring.
Square, and nothing in it, just square because square is easy, nothing in it, nothing of interest, nothing interesting.
I will say this, I like the idea of that one tree though. It would make sense there are singular trees different than those that are dense around it, ie, the border. However, it is just ONE tree, and then no where else in town, that makes it seem out of place, and it loses its uniqueness and just seems like a poor mapping idea.

Next, you need elevation. The town appears, and should be, separate from the beach area. The beach and town should be separate areas, and also the town should be separated from everything else via mountain elevation. Adding 2-3 layers of elevation will really improve the look, as well as th conceptualization of the area. I mean to say it would be believable that an area could look like that, that the grass would be so close to sand, that such an area could harbor a forest so close to open areas of water that large.

Other than that, make it less empty, boring, square, and a passing area that no one would recall by the end.

I don't mean to dash your hopes and dreams of ever making a game, but this map is not good - however, don't give up, the idea behind it is very interesting, and I really would love this map if you fixed it up, improved it, etc. It's a good concept, but it can be done better, keep working at it.

If you need some help with your mapping, how to improve, where to begin, how to add finishing touches, check this out: This should help ya get your foot in the door, or solidify what you're already pretty good at.

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Could you explain better? I have no clue what you mean by the names for things you're using.

Gexeys

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
Could you explain better? I have no clue what you mean by the names for things you're using.
That's the problem, you need to learn everything about maps to create them effectively, look at some tutorials for mapping check out ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™'s tutorial, it's an awesome tutorial for learning to map and will cover everything to start making good maps.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Alrighty, been a while since I last posted something here. Here's my latest map, Wetland Woods.
23qm.png

Feedback would be very much appreciated.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Alrighty, been a while since I last posted something here. Here's my latest map, Wetland Woods.
23qm.png

Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Looking quite fantastic, I must say.

Great use of tiles, nice flow throughout the map...
There's a clear path to follow through the route, with the alternative to surf for an alternate path.
Nice detail without being cluttered.

Objectively: 9/10

8/10 if I'm subjective, because I really don't like the "random-tree-placement" unless it entirely fills out any visible ground.
It tricks the player too much imo.

My only real concern is really the tile-error below the western lake, where a grass tile is on top of an impassable tree tile.

Otherwise: Fantastic job!
Looking forward to playing this some time!

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Thanks for the feedback! Didn't notice the tile error, I thought I had fixed them all up. And yeah, I almost always use the random tree placement, I tried to leave some openings here to make the place feel less densely forested.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
So it has been a while since I have shown off any maps, mainly because I have been working with interiors, which I don't feel I am quite good at. That combined with the fact that most interior tiles need to be made/altered for Pillars, it has just been a pretty time consuming thing that I have not made much time for... until yesterday.

Yesterday I wanted to hammer out Professor Tilia's lab and about a day and a half later, I feel content with the map and tiles. If you are up for a bit of spoiler information, then some is provided below the shot of the map.

2aeo8r8.png

WARNING - Actual Spoiler Ahead (Somewhat Trivial)
Spoiler:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
It feels a smidgen empty to me. Double bookcases would be too full I'd think though. I like that there's boxes to clutter up the lab, maybe a few by the shelves?

Are you going to use the item's icon for all ground items? That's a pretty cool detail if so.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Question for the pros: what's the best way to go about making a cliff? I want to have a ledge that appears high above ground below, possibly with a sunset/sunrise in the background. But I'm stuck on how to implement it. Here's what I've got so far:

jkxeXpe.png

What should the blue space be? Ground tiles won't work, because then it just appears to be at the same elevation as the ledge. And is it even possible to portray a sky or horizon when the view is top-down?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Question for the pros: what's the best way to go about making a cliff? I want to have a ledge that appears high above ground below, possibly with a sunset/sunrise in the background. But I'm stuck on how to implement it. Here's what I've got so far:

jkxeXpe.png

What should the blue space be? Ground tiles won't work, because then it just appears to be at the same elevation as the ledge. And is it even possible to portray a sky or horizon when the view is top-down?

There's a few options. You could have a few layers of mountains and then a sky/water/tree background. Just to make it seem higher I'd add at least three layers of cliff going down. Sky and water look good. Trees can look really nice but are hard to get to look right

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years

I sort of agree with lauerolus, it looks too empty, especially for what you have described in the program.

I think the important thing to consider is the overall purpose of the lab in relation to how its designed. Looking at Gen V and VI, Juniper's lab is quite small and clearly shown to be for one person. I can't remember if she has any aides but currently in her lab/house is a Patrat, Cedric and heself. Sycamore's lab on the other hand is a big thing in the Kalos region. It covers multiple floors and is filled with lots of people and spaces for research.

I feel like from the program you described that it should be a happy medium of the two. A smallish operation from the sounds of its location and populated because of the activities that happen their. Since you've mentioned that its the entrance to the habitat, that entrance should be made a little more grander (I'm assuming its the wooden door off to the side). You could maybe have a bigger door that looks somewhat metallic with pipes coming out of the top of the frame that connect to a data screen. Unless the research machines are in the habitat space, I think this main room could feature more of them and places for researchers to work . If this main room is more of a lobby instead, it should appear more like such; could also be seen as a break room for the researchers. If the item production is going on in the lab too, maybe you could emphasise that a little bit more. Maybe have a dedicated packing area which you could clutter with boxes and packages. The important thing here is to not over clutter. If you do use a theme I mentioned, pick one and run with it. Picking more will make the space too cluttered.

The tiles themselves are quite good. The colour scheme is really nice as well. I like how you used some of the stuff from Gen IV. It makes the space feel as such so if thats what you were going for, good job :)

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
Alright, so I have come to the conclusion that this map needs some serious redesigning, actually re-sizing. But how I am to go about that, I have no idea. This is from my project Pokemon: Weavile's Revenge and is the main town. But to be honest, it is actually bigger than a city. Not what I want.

Details:
I want the town to have a 'town center', and also want the houses to be spread out a bit. It is just a lot of empty space, but is good for the main events that take place. In the center of the town, the small patch of grass, is a statue (an event for reasons)

Spoiler:

Just looking for some advice on what could be changed to make it better.
Extra details:
- At least on of the closed in areas (a must have!)
- The lower area of the town (although, I could probably do without it)
- The lower part that has the tent in it (could maybe do without also, maybe)

Atomic Reactor

I really love the colors of the tiles. I maybe would have gone with a little less decoration on the beach, it's a little distracting, other than that I really like the map. Easy to traverse, and the mountains give it depth. Good job.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@Masterofpuppets: Gotta agree with Atomic Reactor here, your style reminds me a bit of my own, and I really like it. I do think you went a bit overboard with the decorations though, maybe you should've sticked with less types of flowers. And yeah the beach could be a little emptier,

morlockhater

Novice hacker
Years
Pallet Town, as seen in the Fangame I'm working on; Pokémon Threshold.

Some tiles, specifically the cars, will be reworked to fit in with the scale of the town. I'm attempting to make the world in my game one that's far more grounded and realistic, meaning towns and routes will be larger and more complex. You won't be able to enter every house you see!

Credits: Kyle-Dove, TheRedEx, Wesley FG, ChaoticCherryCake, Magiscarf. Edits, cars and buildings by myself.

View attachment 70999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back