• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMonroe

Demigod of Time
Years
Hi, I'm kind of new here, so I'm not sure if this can be done:

Can you change what the hero sprite is for a brief period? Not like using an over world editor to change what the hero looks like, but have it swap to a new sprite for a while. Like in SoulSilver, when the hero briefly looks like team rocket.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
btw, is there a way through hex or anything else to stop cut from working on grass blocks?
I suspect you'd need to edit the relevant ASM either for CUT or for the behavior/background bytes used for grass tiles.

and on that note, would it be possible to add footprint/bike trail animations for the snow blocks, but have them be the right palette? i tried with copying the behavior bytes from the sand blocks to the snow, but the palette was wrong.
I suspect you'd need to create a modified copy of the behavior byte ASM, and then apply the new ASM to one of the many unused behavior byte values.

Can you change what the hero sprite is for a brief period? Not like using an over world editor to change what the hero looks like, but have it swap to a new sprite for a while.
If you're hacking FireRed, then you can apply JPAN's Hacked Engine to it. It contains functionality that allows you to change the player's OW from scripts. Be careful if applying it to a hack already in progress, however.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
How do the GBA Pokemon games determine when to use which battle background? Like the water one when a battle occurs while surfing and the sand one when a battle occurs on a beach? I'm using BPRE if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
OWs

Hey Is it possible too make an Overworld larger that 64 by 64 in FR. I know #153 is 128 by 64 but I planning to add a very large Overworld that you can walk around that's 180 long and 64 tall. Thanks.

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2012
Hey hackers I was wondering if someone could show me a link to a tutorial of some sort which shows how to change Oak and the background bit. I mean the part at the beginning where he's making an epic speech but can't tell whether your'e a boy or girl :s

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

AlexMonroe

Demigod of Time
Years
If you're hacking FireRed, then you can apply JPAN's Hacked Engine to it. It contains functionality that allows you to change the player's OW from scripts. Be careful if applying it to a hack already in progress, however.

What do you mean "Be careful," exactly? Is there specifically something that I can do to prevent it from going wrong, or is there just a possibility that it will mess stuff up? Plus, where do I get the scripts for that if it only works when a person's used that?

Cowsocks

Avid Pokefan
Years
Um, hi I have a question. I am a beginner hacker and I am just barely getting through with my first hack. I was doing good with Advance Map until a problem occurred. I changed a Bulbasaur front sprite into something else with unlz GBA and then, when I walked out of the house in Pallet Town, the screen went black. I wasn't having any problems until now. Whenever I go into Advance map and click on Pallet Town a window pops up twice saying "The Script Value of People 255 is not a pointer! Data seems to be Corrupted." he AdvanceMap also says that there are a total of three warps on it, but all I see is the "F" for flying position. I'm pretty sure that this may have something to do with the black screen, but I'm not sure about the data corruption. Two other programs that I consistently use are Advance Text and Pokescripter (pksvui). What do I do? The game can't be tested until it's fixed, and I really don't want to remap everything I did in the past two months. If there's a way to help, please tell me!

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Um, hi I have a question. I am a beginner hacker and I am just barely getting through with my first hack. I was doing good with Advance Map until a problem occurred. I changed a Bulbasaur front sprite into something else with unlz GBA and then, when I walked out of the house in Pallet Town, the screen went black. I wasn't having any problems until now. Whenever I go into Advance map and click on Pallet Town a window pops up twice saying "The Script Value of People 255 is not a pointer! Data seems to be Corrupted." he AdvanceMap also says that there are a total of three warps on it, but all I see is the "F" for flying position. I'm pretty sure that this may have something to do with the black screen, but I'm not sure about the data corruption. Two other programs that I consistently use are Advance Text and Pokescripter (pksvui). What do I do? The game can't be tested until it's fixed, and I really don't want to remap everything I did in the past two months. If there's a way to help, please tell me!
It seems like you overwrote some important data when changing the Bulbasaur sprite. Your best bet is to find the location of the new Bulbasuar image and replace the bytes there with bytes from a clean ROM.

But in all honesty, there's no guarantee this will work. You really should have been making back-ups. At the very least, one per day. Because if something like this happens, you'll only have to redo a days worth of work, not two months.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
What do you mean "Be careful," exactly? Is there specifically something that I can do to prevent it from going wrong, or is there just a possibility that it will mess stuff up? Plus, where do I get the scripts for that if it only works when a person's used that?
Well, the caution comes from how you apply the engine. There are two ways to add it to a ROM, and each has its own strengths and drawbacks.

Using JPAN's patch

• Deletes all event data, level scripts, etc., from all maps, except for warps
    • Could cause issues if substantial edits have been made to maps, or if maps have been deleted/rearranged/etc.?
    • Accidentally deletes Pallet Town warps -- you must re-add them
  • Deletes nearly all default scripts (and, therefore, any data you may have overwritten them with)
Using JPAN's tool

• Should leave most data intact
    • But scripts using changed features will end up broken
  • Allows you to choose which variables and RAM/ROM offsets are used for most features
    • You'll need to look at the instructions and maybe do a bit of research if you want consistency with the vars/offsets that the patch version (and therefore that nearly everybody) uses
The benefits of using the hacked engine generally outweigh the negatives, though.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Are there any tools or easy way to edit the habitat pokedex in Fire Red? I'd like to be able to move around some of the fakemon I'm making so they make more sense--a Saber-Tooth Cat wouldn't be found in the sea.

It's not a big issue to warrant a lot of work on my part, so that's why I'm only asking if there is a tool.
I don't think anyone has made such a tool. However with proper documentation I could add it to PGE so just find that documentation and I'll add it to my to-do list.

Years
Pokemon ROM Hack HELP!!

Hey guys.
I am trying to create a new Pokemon game using Ruby as a template.
I am still new to the scripting side of the game but I am slowly making progress.

But I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the Prof. Birch speech introducing you to the world of Pokemon after you select new game (where you choose your Gender and Name).
I want to add my own introduction but can't find any information on the web about it.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I will add you to the credits. (I don't take credit for anything I didn't find out or do).

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Hey guys.
I am still new to the scripting side of the game but I am slowly making progress.

But I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the Prof. Birch speech introducing you to the world of Pokemon after you select new game (where you choose your Gender and Name).
I want to add my own introduction but can't find any information on the web about it.

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I will add you to the credits. (I don't take credit for anything I didn't find out or do).
It is editable but it isn't a script. It's all ASM. The only easy things to edit there are the images and the text.

SupahNinja

Scripting Ninja
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
Hey guys.

It is editable but it isn't a script. It's all ASM. The only easy things to edit there are the images and the text.
What about the Pokémon in the professor's speech (I think Nidoran in FRLG, Azurill in RSE)?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while, but I'm not sure if the game uses a separate image, or if the game just specifies which Pokémon number will pop out of the Pokéball.

Last edited:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
SupahNinja said:
What about the Pokémon in the professor's speech (I think Nidoran in FRLG, Azurill in RSE)?
I've been trying to figure that out for a while, but I'm not sure if the game uses a separate image, or if the game just specifies which Pokémon number will pop out of the Pokéball.

I could be wrong, but I think the game uses the battle Pokemon sprite, not a separate image. This means that you would have to replace the sprite the game originally uses with your own sprite (or use ASM to make it use another).

SupahNinja

Scripting Ninja
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
I could be wrong, but I think the game uses the battle Pokemon sprite, not a separate image. This means that you would have to replace the sprite the game originally uses with your own sprite (or use ASM to make it use another).
Okay, since it's not stored as a separate image, there must be some sort of pointer to Nidoran (in FRLG).
After all, something needs to indicate which Pokémon pops out of the Pokéball.
So if we could find that pointer (or whatever type of data it's stored as - maybe just the Pokémon's National Dex number) then we could change the Pokémon that comes out.
I know people have done it before, but I can't recall any specifics at the moment.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2022
hi, i need help/ have a question about inserting pokemon sprites into ruby. whenever i try, i get weird errors like the pallete changes but the original image doesnt, or the the original image just fills to 1 color.
can anyone help me as to what i am doing wrong please?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
SupahNinja said:
Okay, since it's not stored as a separate image, there must be some sort of pointer to Nidoran (in FRLG).
After all, something needs to indicate which Pokémon pops out of the Pokéball.
So if we could find that pointer (or whatever type of data it's stored as - maybe just the Pokémon's National Dex number) then we could change the Pokémon that comes out.
I know people have done it before, but I can't recall any specifics at the moment.

Hm, that sounds like it could be a way. I didn't think about pointers when I answered before

However...

Of all the hacks that I have played, I have seen the intro Pokemon changed, but it always makes the cry of the Pokemon that it was originally. This suggests to me that it was done by overwriting the sprite, not repointing to another sprite. ...Which doesn't make sense to do if you could easily repoint it...

jojo1250 said:
hi, i need help/ have a question about inserting pokemon sprites into ruby. whenever i try, i get weird errors like the pallete changes but the original image doesnt, or the the original image just fills to 1 color.
can anyone help me as to what i am doing wrong please?

What method are you using to insert the sprites? Try using tools from Wichu's Advanced Series (GBA toolbox) if you aren't already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back