• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What if B2/W2 were never made?

Years
  • As the title says, imagine that Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 had never been created. What do you think would have happened to Pokémon and how do you think Black and White would have been? Do you think that Black and White could have been its own standalone generation with no other game after it? Or do you think they would have made Pokémon Grey instead? Would you have still been left with different questions about Black and White that could have been left unanswered?

Discuss.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think I would have left generation 5 being a little disappointed. I really liked Black 2 and White 2 a lot because it really felt they wrapped Unova up. The memory link was especially fun, and how the plot was a very nice continuation of the one in the original games. I really hope Gamefreak creates more sequels in the future!

What I also really liked is how the games took Unova and created a new adventure for us in the same region. I loved most of the new places, and although there are still several things I would fix, I think that if BW2 was never made, I wouldn't have liked Generation 5 as much.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't think that Black 2 and White 2 were exactly necessary for the overall story of Unova (thought it was nice, and it was nice to see them still deviate from the formula that the Pokemon games tend to have). What I liked them for was all the post-game content and move tutors and stuff that Black and White lacked. So I'd rather not have B2/W2 not exist unless Gray or whatever their replacements would be had PokeStar Studios and the PWT and Black Tower/White Treehollow and stuff in it. Otherwise, Black2/White2 all the way.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think we would have had one of the predictable pattens i.e either Pokemon Grey or RS Remakes in that Generation. I'm really glad they made a turning point for this generation, Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 were both incredible games with tons of gameplay and a hugely expanded Pokedex. I definitely think it was the best option to end Generation V with those.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    My favorite pokemon game would still be Sapphire.
    5th gen wouldn't be as memorable to me.

Years
  • Gen 5 would end with me being a little dissapointed. I liked White, but I felt it wasn't as good as it could have been. But then White 2 came out and I found it be a much better game, even one of my favorites from the series. With a much bigger variety of Pokemon to catch, a better storyline, a rival who, while I really dislike as a character, did have some nice depth to him, and some cool new additions, not having B2/W2 would have been a darn shame.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'd still be craving for a sequel if B2W2 didn't come out *as* sequels. Like others, I'd be pretty disappointed on the whole thing. In most generations we have at least 1 game that is a sequel, and 5th gen came out with two versions of said sequel, so that made us pretty hyped.

Years
  • I think I would have left generation 5 being a little disappointed. I really liked Black 2 and White 2 a lot because it really felt they wrapped Unova up. The memory link was especially fun, and how the plot was a very nice continuation of the one in the original games. I really hope Gamefreak creates more sequels in the future!

What I also really liked is how the games took Unova and created a new adventure for us in the same region. I loved most of the new places, and although there are still several things I would fix, I think that if BW2 was never made, I wouldn't have liked Generation 5 as much.

I'd still be craving for a sequel if B2W2 didn't come out *as* sequels. Like others, I'd be pretty disappointed on the whole thing. In most generations we have at least 1 game that is a sequel, and 5th gen came out with two versions of said sequel, so that made us pretty hyped.

I definitely agree with you two. Had B2/W2 not existed I would have enjoyed Unova much less than I actually did. The plot really helped explore more of the unfinished loopholes at the end of B/W and I think the fact they made these games actual sequels instead of a tuned-up version of the original pair was definitely what saved the generation for me and that's why I love Unova, because it actually managed to look further into Unova and make the region more complete.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I think it wouldnt have affected anything id live without it people wouldnt really wonder a ton and it wouldn't affect x or y although i kinda wish black and white 2 were the original storyline and everything instead of black and white although i must admit without black and white 2 it would have been less enjoyable than it was

Years
  • Since I made this thread I think it's time I have my say on this matter as to if these games had never been made.

I'll talk about the story stuff first - i'm sure I would have been left wondering if N really was Ghetsis' son from the beginning, considering one of the sages in BW mentions that he didn't know if they were related or not. And after the sages were arrested by Looker, we had no real idea of what happened to them prior to the events of the second game until Zinzolin, Rood and the other one (I think the one who ambushes you and Cheren in Pinwheel Forest) showed up. To add on to that, it would have still been a mystery to some of us what Alder's late Pokémon was (Volcarona, which is mentioned in the PWT). And what happened to Ghetsis after the events of the first game, that would not have been too apparent without this. But what purpose did he have for giving you the creation trio's orbs?

If they had made Pokémon Grey instead, it would be difficult for me to picture how they would go about with Kyurem and if you'd battle either of its specific forms, which is probably part of why why they made B2/W2 - so they could stay consistent and do something that would actually make appropriate sense with a real showdown with the game's cover legendary, either that or they could have made some different Kyurem form altogether.

And as for the gameplay? While I did love BW in its own right, at first I found it hard to imagine what they would do if they made another game and thinking that they would keep the same region but maybe add some new Pokémon like they did with Platinum. But instead they expanded the region with new locations, including a different starting town and others that were not present in the first games (Virbank, Lentimas, Humilau...), so that was a first for the series instead of recycling. And there were Cheren and Bianca, the former of who became a Gym Leader instead of the Champion, and the latter is the professor's assistant. But ultimately, if these games had not been made I don't think I would have been left being much concerned about the fates of those two. Not only that, but the old Pokémon available in the game did make for the experience and region to not be as iffy. And the post-game, which certainly threw a nice extra helping onto the table.

It was mentioned in another thread, but while having exclusively new Pokémon in BW was cool and all, it would not have been a very good idea to do that twice in a row, because it wouldn't have the same special feel if they were using the same ones. Some people thought BW could have done without the predecessors, but there were some things in it that needed patching and answers (not that that's bad though, I still enjoy them).

So that's my take on the matter.

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
    Years
  • I think it would have been very unfortunate if B/W 2 didn't happen. I actually think it did advance the character-driven aspects of the story, though I agree that the story of the region itself didn't really need any further exploring.

I love how we got to see our favorite characters again move on in life (unlike some eternal 10 year olds in the franchise... becoming gym leaders, assistants, and mysterious figures of good and balance after a rough start. I love the degradation of Ghetsis from a mysterious and frightening figure that I was actually scared to fight (hands were shaking as his Hydragion popped out at me!) to a despite "has been" clinging to his past failure in a final bid to take over Unova. I wasn't scared fighting him the second time, I felt bad for him. I thought that overall continuity was really interesting and fulfilling.

I also thought the arch with Hugh and his sister's purloin was not only touching but surprisingly "adult" for a kid's game. It teaches the lessons that sometimes you don't get a happily ever after, and not everything can go back to the way it was.

And don't get me started on my husbando (N) it was really great to see where his journey took him as well.

Could you imagine not getting all of that awesomeness in character progression and development? I can't!

pkmin3033

I didn't think much of the story aspects of Black 2, but I think if it hadn't of been made I would regard Gen V with considerably more disfavour. The story was a disappointment to me, as was the unfortunately-named "Challenge Mode" but it did fix a lot of things wrong with the original games - the dismal choice of Pokemon on the earlier routes, the glitchy random encounter rate and slow experience gain (at least, it felt a lot slower to me) and it just felt a lot more fun. I enjoyed the updated Unova a lot more than I did the old one, and whilst I think they could have just gone with a Pokemon Grey and made Kyurem the star rather than go for numbered sequels, it didn't really make much of a difference.

Years
  • It would mean I probably wouldn't have touched a Unova game in years so I'm glad they came out.

I can understand this. I had been doing tons of Pokemon collecting during my Black postgame so to have these sequels helps you enjoy Unova in a fresh new way while still seeing familiar faces and places as well. Also, the massive postgame content was what really helped B2/W2 keep this generation stable on its own.

If it hadn't have been for B2/W2 I probably would have gotten bored of my original games.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I would have hoped a Pokemon Grey came out. But I would generally not have great memories for Gen V, since BW didn't really do anything for me personally.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    As I said from my previous post here in Gen V forums, the sequels compliments the initial pairs a lot. That's not to say they can't exist without each other's existence; they are already great as a stand alone series. Hence why I kept calling Gen V is the perfect generation so far. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I personally didn't enjoy B2/W2 that much, and I think B/W could stand alone on its feet. So I wouldn't be that disappointed if the sequels didn't exist.
    Having said that, seeing the story "completed" by B2/W2 actually made me appreciate the original games a lot more, so I am in a way glad they made B2/W2.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • I believe Gamefreak would make game named Pokemon Grey. It would be not much different from BW2.
    Personally, I enjoyed and pleased for generation five. Because like every main pokémon game, it has its own theme. I felt like playing anime somehow because I like the storyline. Especially characters (N, Cheren, Bianca, Gym Leaders etc).
    As well as Black 2 and White 2. I played Pokémon White and White 2. I enjoyed both of them but White is better in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I couldn't play Gen 6 yet. ;_;

Years
  • I remember finishing the original BW games and feeling that there were still some things missing. There did not seem to be a large enough number of things to do after finishing the Pokemon League other than going through the right side of the Unova "hexagon" and cycling through daily/seasonal events. N's fate after the battle with Ghetsis remained unknown until the sequels were released, so I searched far and wide across the region in an attempt to find him. It's true that BW2 weren't as great with it's storytelling as the first games were, but I think they did a good job on tying up the loose ends and finishing off the conflict with Team Plasma; and being the player that loves post game content, I was overjoyed by how much content was added with the sequels.

Whether Game Freak decided to make Pokemon Grey or BW2, in my opinion a sequel installment was needed to end what otherwise would have been a relatively short Generation on a good note.

Years
  • I remember finishing the original BW games and feeling that there were still some things missing. There did not seem to be a large enough number of things to do after finishing the Pokemon League other than going through the right side of the Unova "hexagon" and cycling through daily/seasonal events. N's fate after the battle with Ghetsis remained unknown until the sequels were released, so I searched far and wide across the region in an attempt to find him. It's true that BW2 weren't as great with it's storytelling as the first games were, but I think they did a good job on tying up the loose ends and finishing off the conflict with Team Plasma; and being the player that loves post game content, I was overjoyed by how much content was added with the sequels.

Whether Game Freak decided to make Pokemon Grey or BW2, in my opinion a sequel installment was needed to end what otherwise would have been a relatively short Generation on a good note.

I can see your point here, I was pretty much thinking the same as you did when I finished the original Black & White and I felt like there was a plot hole, a loose end that needed to be tied up, and yet everyone was anticipating the typical "third version" which they called Grey because of Kyurem. Looking back on this short generation, I feel like the change up and releasing a true sequel paired game as opposed to a third version was exactly what they needed, given how much this generation broke the mould.

Back