• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you start using the Internet?

When Did you start using the Internet?

• Before 1996

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.6%

Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 5 17.9%

Votes: 3 10.7%

Votes: 5 17.9%

• I can't remember

• Multiple years, I was off and on

• Total voters

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • When did you start using the Internet? What was the internet like back then for you, compared to now?

For me: used it the first time in 2002.
    Starting using it extensively in 2007.
    Was off the internet for most of 2010 because I was only on in school. Rip.
    Starting using it again in 2010 of September.

Back then, the Internet was a lot different. People were... how do I say this, meaner. Kind of uppity. I definitely remember my early years, when everyone was kid of uptight, and whatnot. The internet got calmer in 2009 for me, but on December 5th, 2009, my computer was taken away from me, so I disappeared from the internet for most of my year when I was 13. I came back towards September 2010, when I started using my parent's computer every day, that was three years, until I got my own computer in 2014. These days... the internet is so different. Tumblr is pretty much everything, and most of the kids there kind of scare me... has it gotten more laid back? I guess, kinda, but not really.

The core of it has changed. Forums are dying. Back in 2007, those were awesome. Now, hit 2016, nine years later, everyone care more about apps and social media. Twitter was new in 2007, and MySpace was probably still popular.

Times have changed.

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • 2000 when I was 8. I've been on the internet for a very long time. It was a simpler 'net back then... And a lot more dangerous pre-adblock, lol. I got so many viruses on my computer.
    The first sites I frequented were of course Neopets, Kirby's Rainbow Resort and various Pokemon sites, good times.

zerofm

Zero is live, zero is love..... especially in Tenn
    Years
  • 2008 for me, when I was in Middle school, but I started actively using it around 2010 (High School). I still remembered back then (2008 I mean) we used it just to download some pictures and getting study materials from Wikipedia and other educational sites, mostly because the textbooks we received weren't detailed enough.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Hard for me to say when I first used it. I knew I was actively using it when Pokemon Gold/Silver were released in Japan, because I remember looking at the Pokedex entries in Japanese online. So 1999/2000 at least.

I wasn't allowed to use forums until 2003, though. Even then my parents were reluctant. I didn't become super-active on forums until late 2004, though.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • 2007 back then We have finally have an offer to get cheaper internet package for 1mbps at rate of rm 110 per month. For me the first time I have touched the world of Internet during 7 years old is extremely awesome. It's like exploring the unlimited space of the other world. And that time I started playing online games and the first one was Ragnarok and Call Of Duty 4 ( lolololololol )

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    maybe around 2005, we had typing class back in elementary. i might've started actively using it around 2008/2009?

Years
  • 2004 was probably my earliest recollection of going online. I remember visiting various sites like Serebii, Psypokes, and even IGN to read up about Pokémon stuff and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have known about the release of FireRed and LeafGreen. XD

Bay

Years
  • 2001 for me. In Elementary school, our school's website had a directory for some activities and whatnot, like AskJeeves and whatnot. Of course the website looked godawful, but it worked.

I remember AskJeeves as I used to use that site all the time before Google, lol. Good times.

I think it's around 2002 or 2003 was when I first started using the internet as I remember starting looking up sites for projects during middle school. It wasn't until perhaps over a year later my family got home internet.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Either 2000 or 2001 when I was around 6 or 7 because neopets was the love of my life.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • It's hard to say, but definitely some time around 2004; we had one desktop computer at home, so we had to share it. I started using the web consistently when I got my first laptop for Christmas in 2010, and started using it for things other than playing games once I discovered forums.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • probably when i was around 11/12 or so
    so that is....2004

i was very young when i already owned a fansite about my fav tv show haha
    charmed!​

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • Probably around 11/12 years ago, my brother showed me a video of little clay men, I still remember one part had the lyrics of "Macaroni, Macaroni, Macaroni, Macaroni, put the cheese in the noodles and what do you get?
    No idea if it's from that many years ago but that's my first memory of it

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I'm not entirely sure. I was about 6-7, I think, so '96-'97? And I'm pretty sure my first hands-on internet experience was through AOL Kids, or whatever it was called. It sucked. :P

And then when I was 8-ish I upgraded to the real internet and discovered Neopets. It all went downhill from there. {XD}

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I started using it regularly when I was about 8-9 so in 2002ish, because I remember spending a lot of time on the Pokemon website and Neopets then. I didn't really have a break period between when I first started to use it and when I started to use it extensively, I was pretty into it from day one lol. I remember sitting and waiting literally 5-10 minutes for each page to load when I'd look up Pokemon on the official website's PokeDex q_q

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I was a huge animal nerd back then - I remember searching for stuff and games about animals. I think that was around 2005-2008. The internet never really played a big role in my early pre-school years. I became hooked at 2011 when I had my "omg so random xD" phase, which can be seen in one of my earlier posts on my older accounts.

Savashy

headsplitter
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2018
    i think it would be around 2005-6. i was a young lad back then.

Back