• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you start using the Internet?

When Did you start using the Internet?

• Before 1996

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.6%

Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 5 17.9%

Votes: 3 10.7%

Votes: 5 17.9%

• I can't remember

• Multiple years, I was off and on

• Total voters
    Years
    I definitely remember using the internet in some form back in 3rd grade (which would've been 2000), but I also remember using school computers before that- I just don't know if I used the internet or not.

Then we got a computer with Windows XP shortly after it came out (I wanna say late 2001/early 2002), and one of the first things we did was sign up for our free trial of AOL, haha. And I've been glued to the internet ever since then.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I started using it about 2008 to watch mainly youtube videos, but I started joining forums a year later. Fast forward 8 years later and I'm still mainly a youtube user and only go on a couple social networks (Facebook, PC) and just lurk some other places.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I used it a few times in 1997/1998 but I wasn't a fan because I didn't like the dial-up noise because it was so loud and... I remember looking up Sailor Moon info once and the fansite was based on the Japanese version so it was confusing and made no sense to me so I got angry LOL.

I started using the internet for real in 2000 and I've pretty much been addicted ever since, lol. First I got into Neopets and then in late 2000 or early 2001, I discovered Pokemon forums aaand I suppose the rest is history.

I think the best difference I can think of is that tumblr post that goes: "I used to worry about people from the internet finding me in real life but now I worry about people in real life finding me on the internet."

Years
    Early 00s for school stuff and occasionally playing flash games at home. Our home pc was awful and so full of viruses that I didn't bother using it much.

Mid 00s was when I really started using it. Got my own laptop and haven't logged off since.

#miniclip #groovygranny #whichbacstreetboyisgay

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hmmm... 2000. I'm sure I used it a little bit in 1999, but not very often. Probably small internet searches and I didn't really know what I was doing. 2000 - 2001 was when I started using it for fansites and fandom things.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
    2002 just to go on sites to play games. I didn't start going on message boards until 2005 back when the NSider Forums were still remotely relevant.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I remember in 1999... and unfortunately the first thing i heard from the older guys or those who already had internet access were telling me that's where you can get the "good stuff", and by good stuff, they meant NSFW.

Oops.

Around 2000 during the good days of Neopets and taking care of my precious Shoyru and Zafara. Didn't start using it more seriously until 2002-2003 though when I'd actually spend at least a few hours browsing websites and, again, taking care of my precious virtual pets.

I remember the good times of trying to sneak online at 12am in 2004 but the dial-up sound woke my parents and they'd unplug the net. Barely got them to give me their old 1998 computer to keep in my room. D: lol

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Early 2001 for me, was the earliest I remember using the internet, can't remember exactly what I did back then. Do remember using for football related news

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    To be honest I'm not even sure when I started using the internet. I'm 24, I'm getting old.. You expect me to remember the year I started using the internet? jk. If I were to guess it would be like 2nd maybe 3rd grade?

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    Woow, I feel old lol.

I started using the internet around 1996. My dad brought home a desktop with a tower that probably weighed as much as a cinderblock.

I'm one of the few who remember Dial-Up lol. At the time, I used to play competitive chess on the MSN Gaming Zone. I was part of a league and everything. #Boss

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I don't quite remember when I started to browsing through internet (probs around 2000's), but I still remember when my relatives want to invite me to internet cafe, and I was browsing some sites and bringing my floppy disk with me.

Since then, I started to surf in internet cafe every month under permission of my parents, and I started to become somewhat of a download holic in these days. Many years later, I managed to get the USB modem that I can browse when I wanted to, even though I have to limit the usage due to quota limitations, and it's not becoming my issue anymore once I switched to Wi-Fi connection.

I must say, compared to back then, I have no idea internet become this vast, and becoming much more accessible to everyone than it was in the years back.

Guest123_x1

I started using the Internet for the first time probably in 2000, at an aunt's house by using AOL. It was quite an interesting experience, but at the same time, I was nervous that I might end up somewhere I shouldn't be.
    I started going online a bit more starting in late 2001, when I was in 8th Grade, where my school district had implemented massive technology upgrades as part of a bond issue passed the previous year, usually at school after I was finished with my work.
    Finally, in March 2002, a neighbor installed a phone jack near my computer, and signed me up for NetZero, meaning I could finally get online at home. By then, I was starting to get used to using the Internet, but even then, I would make the occasional misstep. During my earliest years of being online at home, I mainly browsed Pokémon fan sites, as well as software sites. I started to do message boards in late 2004, but things were a lot different even then as compared to now.

Even these days, I primarily use the Internet via desktop and laptop PCs, but eventually, I'll be considered the "odd man out" as everybody is switching to do online stuff exclusively through smartphones (I have done smartphone internet a few times, and trust me, it's very difficult to handle. No one will ever convince me that mobile/smartphone web browsing is "superior".)

Back