• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion

pokelover1991

champion
Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
i had a question the tool u gave above is sufficient for adding megas or first i hav to apply touched made hack then use ur tool

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
i had a question the tool u gave above is sufficient for adding megas or first i hav to apply touched made hack then use ur tool

You have to use touched's hack to make the game be able to mega evolve pokemon. Then you follow my guide so you can put the mega pokemon in the game. I'm just further explaining how to use programs already made to make Touched's hack easier to edit.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Another minor thing noticed:
When swapping to your party immediately after entering a battle, the mega evolution thing will appear. (I assume only on a pokemon able to mega evolve) You see it for a split second.

1. Entering a battle, going into attack, pressing start, then going into your pokemon party, selecting a different pokemon, then attacking causes the game to crash. I assume the trigger just needs to be dropped when exiting the menu. (the same thing allows you to click the mega evolve, pull it out, and send out another pokemon capable of mega evolving and evolving that one without pressing the button; will crash if the held item isn't on that pokemon)

2. Mega evolving one pokemon and then going to another one that can mega evolve does grey out the icon (that's great) but the pc audio still plays when you hit enter / start.

Would you mind posting these as separate issues on the GitHub page so I can track them? Otherwise I might miss things when I actually get round to bug fixing.

Also, the main problem with items is not the number of item slots, but rather the amount of available bag space. There really isn't enough for the 40 or so possible Mega Pokemon. I think this is the main issue with Megas. If I can think of an ASM hack that will fix this issue, I might add it onto this as a supporting hack...

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Would you mind posting these as separate issues on the GitHub page so I can track them? Otherwise I might miss things when I actually get round to bug fixing.

Also, the main problem with items is not the number of item slots, but rather the amount of available bag space. There really isn't enough for the 40 or so possible Mega Pokemon. I think this is the main issue with Megas. If I can think of an ASM hack that will fix this issue, I might add it onto this as a supporting hack...

I've been wanting this exact same thing for my current hack, so I would love you to death.

pokelover1991

champion
Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
if i get the thing working i will post the patch so others dont have that problem as it is really hard to get it working i will try my best and for bag problem i got an idea u guys know about pouches or tm cases like that we create an bracelet that holds all mega stones which the bag can hold so it will be exactly like a 6 generation hack

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
if i get the thing working i will post the patch so others dont have that problem as it is really hard to get it working i will try my best and for bag problem i got an idea u guys know about pouches or tm cases like that we create an bracelet that holds all mega stones which the bag can hold so it will be exactly like a 6 generation hack

My guess is that they don't want patches. These types of things are meant to be a learning experience and the general consensus is that unless its entire games or rom bases, it shouldn't use a patch. I would definitely ask Touched before you do that one. I'm sure if this is possible to be patched, he could have easily made one himself if he wanted that.

If you follow the guide found on the main page, it should be as easy as looking at the images. I had no problems once that guide was posted.

pokelover1991

champion
Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
My guess is that they don't want patches. These types of things are meant to be a learning experience and the general consensus is that unless its entire games or rom bases, it shouldn't use a patch. I would definitely ask Touched before you do that one. I'm sure if this is possible to be patched, he could have easily made one himself if he wanted that.

If you follow the guide found on the main page, it should be as easy as looking at the images. I had no problems once that guide was posted.

i got it bro i found my mistake i used python 3.0.0 and i had to use 3.4.3 so i m downloading that and will try again and a request touched just mention the exact version of tools that are required.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
i got it bro i found my mistake i used python 3.0.0 and i had to use 3.4.3 so i m downloading that and will try again and a request touched just mention the exact version of tools that are required.

Latest version of insert.py complains if you try use Python < 3.4. The tutorial already points you to use Python 3.4.

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Question! is there a hack which could immediately refresh enemy pokes' gender symbol if the gender changes upon Mega Evolving?

This works just fine if it's mine:
tumblr_inline_nqw2myeAm11r7tced_500.gif

As you can see the gender poofed on its own just fine when i initiate the mega evolution. But if the AI mega evolves the same thing, the gender symbol sticks unless i refresh the battle screen by opening a menu. I know this was designed with gender-consistent megas in mind, but if it's possible to fix that minor cosmetic nuance it would be awesome.

Also there is a minor graphical error, where pixels in the player poke's health box can sometimes disappear.
visualboyadvance_2015_07_10_21_39_23_00_by_exodrake-d8zpqoo.png

One more thing: it seems the Eviolite in MrDollSteak's rombase works with the mega evolution type, even the return evolution, which means wish Megas can use the Eviolite. Very broken. The Eviolite code needs to be modified to exempt evolution type FE. This is more an issue with that item's code than this patch but this should be taken care of.

Last edited:

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
I'm familiar with stones and orbs, but what is 'wish-based' mega evolution? Is it like Rayquaza with Dragon Ascent?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hey Touched, great work here but I have an unrelated issue. There is 47 mega Orbs, and the bag only supports 42 items currently. I previously hacked the ball slot with no problem but for some reason I can only get slots to go up to 42... Any thoughts on this?

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Question! is there a hack which could immediately refresh enemy pokes' gender symbol if the gender changes upon Mega Evolving?

This works just fine if it's mine:
tumblr_inline_nqw2myeAm11r7tced_500.gif

As you can see the gender poofed on its own just fine when i initiate the mega evolution. But if the AI mega evolves the same thing, the gender symbol sticks unless i refresh the battle screen by opening a menu. I know this was designed with gender-consistent megas in mind, but if it's possible to fix that minor cosmetic nuance it would be awesome.

Also there is a minor graphical error, where pixels in the player poke's health box can sometimes disappear.
visualboyadvance_2015_07_10_21_39_23_00_by_exodrake-d8zpqoo.png

One more thing: it seems the Eviolite in MrDollSteak's rombase works with the mega evolution type, even the return evolution, which means wish Megas can use the Eviolite. Very broken. The Eviolite code needs to be modified to exempt evolution type FE. This is more an issue with that item's code than this patch but this should be taken care of.

Thanks for reporting those. Would you mind opening up issues on GitHub for both? You can mark the former as an enhancement which will enable me to track them better. I might lose them in this thread otherwise.

As for Eviolite, I didn't anticipate that as a problem when I decided to use the evolution table for config. Maybe I should switch to a separate table instead? Or this way better for everyone?

Hey Touched, great work here but I have an unrelated issue. There is 47 mega Orbs, and the bag only supports 42 items currently. I previously hacked the ball slot with no problem but for some reason I can only get slots to go up to 42... Any thoughts on this?

I might be able to create a second bag (like a Mega Stone case - similar to the TM case) for this if I can find enough free space in the save block. Either that or remove the item PC and merge that space with the bag. No promises though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I can't believe this! This development really goes so fast. I wonder what's now the current progress should be done? Hope that you'll be able to implement in Emerald as well. I'm always waiting. Since this is going along, I would make Mega sprites soon.

Hmm... I'm confused with Mega Accessory (e.g . Mega Bracelet) and Mega Stone (e.g. Salamencite) (sorry that I've never played any Gen VI game). On the config instructions, is it correct that I should set the accessory's index number there? Then should I set the variables into the index number of the accessory "setvar 0x4060 0x161 *player var*" (in script when the player is about to obtain the key item)? If I set those variables, is it safe to leave it alone (and it will act as a check if it is enabled to Mega Evolve)? Then set evolution method and certain stones. See if I'm doing it correctly. I'm also a kind of guy who gets lost. My idea of the stone is one universal stone rather than specific stones for specific Pokemon. :P

Anyway! Very excellent Touched. And again, waiting for Emerald.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
As for Eviolite, I didn't anticipate that as a problem when I decided to use the evolution table for config. Maybe I should switch to a separate table instead? Or this way better for everyone?

I honestly really like this method a lot. Being able to use current editors to do this makes it so much faster. I also don't quite see the problem. Maybe I misunderstood. Having eviolite on a pokemon makes it unable to mega evolve? Shouldn't it need its mega stone on?

pokelover1991

champion
Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
i guys i got the offsets list in comand promt but when i opened criminons editor i selected charmender megaevolve both byte 0 no item it was at zero press edit repointed then went with charizard and mega evolved it to charmender same way both bytes 0 and item required 0 but when i try it charmender and charizard appears alternately and it does not show in game evolution.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I honestly really like this method a lot. Being able to use current editors to do this makes it so much faster. I also don't quite see the problem. Maybe I misunderstood. Having eviolite on a pokemon makes it unable to mega evolve? Shouldn't it need its mega stone on?

If you have a Pokémon mega evolve by having a move instead of an item, and holding Eviolite, it'll get its defences boosted by 1.5x because it has an "evolution", though that's actually used to make the Pokémon revert back to the original after the battle.

Also, final forms of Pokémon that have mega evolutions will also have their defences boosted if they're holding Eviolite because they'd have an evolution, the mega one. Because of this I think it'd be simpler to just change the Eviolite item rather than the mega evolutions.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
If you have a Pokémon mega evolve by having a move instead of an item, and holding Eviolite, it'll get its defences boosted by 1.5x because it has an "evolution", though that's actually used to make the Pokémon revert back to the original after the battle.

Also, final forms of Pokémon that have mega evolutions will also have their defences boosted if they're holding Eviolite because they'd have an evolution, the mega one. Because of this I think it'd be simpler to just change the Eviolite item rather than the mega evolutions.

Well I actually made the Eviolite code, so I can definitely fix it to make it work, as Christos said.

From what I understand your evolutions are entry 0xFE or 0xFF, and I can make those exceptions.

Back