• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I never had that thought since I only hack Pokemon, but it could be done. Maybe with some hardcore ASM it could be pretty much the exact same game for Wii as a gba hack. :3

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Hmm, yeah. But, couldn't we edit something in the Fire Red engine to make Sprites over 64x64 not use tilemaps? But then. we'd have the problem of wasting space if we inserted titlescreens and worldmaps, because we'd have to insert it as a whole, since if we reduce it, it would appear like that in VBA.

So I guess, we'll just need to learn to adapt to out limitations. :P

Even if all the tilemaps were the same, you would still need to recode the sprite loading routines. Which is not a trivial task. And things get even worser for Emerald, where you have to take animations into account too.

What's wrong with the 64x64 limit? That just means that if you really want to use some D/P sprites you can't insert them directly, but you have to learn how to properly resize sprites manually. No automated way nor "cheap resizing" (e.g. cropping) can beat a decent manual resize.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Even if all the tilemaps were the same, you would still need to recode the sprite loading routines. Which is not a trivial task. And things get even worser for Emerald, where you have to take animations into account too.

What's wrong with the 64x64 limit? That just means that if you really want to use some D/P sprites you can't insert them directly, but you have to learn how to properly resize sprites manually. No automated way nor "cheap resizing" (e.g. cropping) can beat a decent manual resize.

Yes, but you forget that we are not all spriting legends and I doubt many of us have the time to resize them manually.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Yes, but you forget that we are not all spriting legends and I doubt many of us have the time to resize them manually.

Yes, and you forgot you're not forced to use sprites bigger than 64x64 at all. Also, I was speaking with decent quality in mind.
It was mostly a suggestion. Anyone is free to use whatever sprites he/she wants, obviously.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Yes, and you forgot you're not forced to use the D/P sprites at all. Also, I was speaking with decent quality in mind. It was mostly a suggestion. Anyone is free to use whatever sprites he/she wants.

Yes I understand what you meant, and I apologise if I sounded rude. What I was trying to say is that people now doen't have the time/are too lazy to manually do these things and yet all they focis on is graphics. And you're right, we could use Emerald sprites instead of DP sprites. And yes, I know you mean good quality, but a lot of the people in forum (mostly the newcomers who want this sort of thing) don't know what decent quality is.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Yes I understand what you meant, and I apologise if I sounded rude. What I was trying to say is that people now doen't have the time/are too lazy to manually do these things and yet all they focus on is graphics. And you're right, we could use Emerald sprites instead of DP sprites. And yes, I know you mean good quality, but a lot of the people in forum (mostly the newcomers who want this sort of thing) don't know what decent quality is.

I had to enphasize that part because, after all, it's a contradiction. I totally agree with you: people sometimes are just too lazy. If you are lazy, you can't expect anything, especially in hacking. Now, we are all lazy to a certain degree, I suppose.

If you really care about scripts, make them work properly. If you care about graphics, make it look good. Maybe it's just me, but quality is a key factor for any hacks, no matter who is working on them. If you think about it... the original games were good, speaking about quality. As hackers, we should aim to equal, if not better, quality.

Oh, and you answered before I had time to change "D/P sprites" into "bigger than 64x64" XD

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I had to enphasize that part because, after all, it's a contradiction. I totally agree with you: people sometimes are just too lazy. If you are lazy, you can't expect anything, especially in hacking. Now, we are all lazy to a certain degree, I suppose.

If you really care about scripts, make them work properly. If you care about graphics, make it look good. Maybe it's just me, but quality is a key factor for any hacks, no matter who is working on them. If you think about it... the original games were good, speaking about quality. As hackers, we should aim to even better quality.

Oh, and you answered before I had time to change "D/P sprites" into "bigger than 64x64" XD

XD I know it's contradicting, but it's true. They want perfect awesome mega perfect graphics and sprites and stuff, and yet they're too lazy to actually try and do it themselves. They want tools for resizing sprites.

Speaking on which, tools work okay, if the sprite isn't indexed because the sprite will look okay after being resized and all the will be needed is for it to be cleaned up and indexed. :3

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Speaking on which, tools work okay, if the sprite isn't indexed because the sprite will look okay after being resized and all the will be needed is for it to be cleaned up and indexed. :3

Yeah, and in fact I was talking about resizing indexed sprites with 15+1 colors or less.
In that case, I have yet to see a tool that could resize an indexed sprite making it look good without cleaning it up or whatever.
Because that requires some manual efforts anyway.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Yeah, and in fact I was talking about resizing indexed sprites with 15+1 colors or less.
In that case, I have yet to see a tool that could resize an indexed sprite making it look good without cleaning it up or whatever.
Because that requires some manual efforts anyway.

Yep.

Most of rom hacking requires manual effort, but people are too dependent on tools and I don't think we'll ever fully be able to hack DS Pokemon games until we start becoming a lot more familiar with hex and maunal efforts. :P

And also, I don't see why people are always inserting new sprites and tiles, what's wrong with the default ones? This is why hard working people get ingored if they keep the same graphics. >:O

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Resizing Dp Sprites is a lot easier then figuring out a way to increase the size of sprites over 64x64

oh and I am a little bored of seeing the same old same old. Firered tiles where made good but every newbie uses them and I played firered so much that I am tried of them.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Resizing Dp Sprites is a lot easier then figuring out a way to increase the size of sprites over 64x64

oh and I am a little bored of seeing the same old same old. Firered tiles where made good but every newbie uses them and I played firered so much that I am tried of them.

There you go, you've answered it. You played it so much that that's what happened. Anyway, when n00bies learn to insert tiles, they will be using hideous tile combiniations, so I would say that technically, Fire Red tiles are not overused at all.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Thats the thing most newbeis can't tile insert. but if they all did, and only good hacks used firered tiles my eyes are still tried of seeing them. I rather see okay tiles then firered tiles, it also show that you put in some effort. But if the tiles are hideous switch back.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Thats the thing most newbeis can't tile insert. but if they all did, and only good hacks used firered tiles my eyes are still tried of seeing them. I rather see okay tiles then firered tiles, it also show that you put in some effort. But if the tiles are hideous switch back.
No, they use rombases.

I have a feeling you're sick of FR tiles used badly

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Do you guys think Nintendo uses some kind of Super A-Map or do they change bytes via Hex?
I don't think Nintendo made Pokémon with a hex editor^^
No, the games were most likely written in C so I assume that that is how they made their maps (in some way that's beyond me). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had some nifty tools of their own.

Isn't mid2agb an official Nintendo tool?

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I don't thnk Nintendo made Pokémon with a hex editor^^
No, the games were most likely written in C so I assume that that is how they made their maps (in some way that's beyond me). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had some nifty tools of their own.

Isn't mid2agb an official Nintendo tool?

Of course they didn't use a hex editor... they are not hackers. The games were written mostly in C, and maybe a few parts in pure ASM.
MID2AGB is part of the official Nintendo Development Toolkit.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
The actual maps and scripts were probably done in a similar way to how we do them. Maybe the scripting tools they have are more similar to programs like RPG Maker (i.e. you don't have to type the script manually, but you select a command to add from a menu, then type parameters etc).
I doubt their tools modify the ROM directly, though; most likely, the maps/scripts/etc are saved as separate files, and then a program is used to compile them all to the ROM at once.

EDIT: Also, I would be interested to know how many 'hackers' still use hex editors nowadays :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back