• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Does anybody know why this happens? I know why, but I can't get my hands on it.
I "replaced" all 20 battle backgrounds thinking that it would change.
-----

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Does anybody know why this happens? I know why, but I can't get my hands on it.
I "replaced" all 20 battle backgrounds thinking that it would change.
-----

I'm not really sure what you mean by all of that. Can you explain a bit more?

Anyway, it looks like your battle background's tilemap hasn't been done correctly. The strip of different colours hasn't been carried over throughout the entire tilemap. It needs to look like the following in NTME or the tilemap editor of your choice.

Spoiler:

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
I was actually just editing the original tilemaps in order to get rid of that extra part of the battle background. I wanted it to look like the image on the left. So I opened up NTME and overwrote upper part with the lower part (so everything is uniform).

I thought that replacing all 20 of the backgrounds with the "uniform" look would get rid of that original part that you see on the right image. I want to completely get rid of it.

My plan was to have the bottom use palette 2 and the top to use palette 3, but with a slightly different style.
I want it to look like this:
-----

-----
But that other part keeps showing up when I start a battle.
Ans it still shows up here, so that means it's a shared image.
That means that I'm still missing another offset.
-----

-----
Edit 1 - Although I edited it out of the tilemap (RAW), I had to edit it out of the tileset as well.
Thanks for the help though.

Last edited:
Years
Actually, I was expecting the ability data offset. Thank you anyway!

(If anyboy knows, I would be eternally grateful)

I think it is almost impossible to find the data of abilities because it varies greatly with the ASM routines.
To change it requires great knowledge in ASM.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I think it is almost impossible to find the data of abilities because it varies greatly with the ASM routines.
To change it requires great knowledge in ASM.

There is no ability table. Only the names. The rest is PURELY handled by asm. Most of it goes by battle command routines too, but they are litterally around the rom in no organized manner. Jambo51 found some checks for them, and if you expand these checks, you can theoretically have more abilities. It's in karatekid552's 649 patch folders on github.

Years
More info on this. Apparently when teddiursa is caught it DOESN'T have any moves...but in YAPE both teddiursa's and mightyena's moves are all listed...

In the rom you passed me, there is no bug ; Teddiursa has attacks. You gave me good rom ?
If yes, did you use action replay codes?

Years
Thanks for taking a look Memsa, I PMd you the answer.

Another question now...I've found plenty of things saying that you can't replace the Marowak event by going in and changing the script...but what if you change what Marowak is in a pokemon editor like YAPE? I know that thick club will still work with whatever you put there, but otherwise will that pokemon appear in Pokemon Tower instead of Marowak?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Thanks for taking a look Memsa, I PMd you the answer.

Another question now...I've found plenty of things saying that you can't replace the Marowak event by going in and changing the script...but what if you change what Marowak is in a pokemon editor like YAPE? I know that thick club will still work with whatever you put there, but otherwise will that pokemon appear in Pokemon Tower instead of Marowak?

I don't see any reason why not. However, in JPAN's engine, he included a hack for this to create and change ghost battles anywhere. That seems like the better approach.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
im confused on how to change the trainer battle intro... like you know how aqua and magma have their own and plasma too? how would i change a trainer to have an intro like that?

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2018
In firered how do I make the badge fanfare play? I can't find it anywhere in the original game's code.

Geodude6

It's just me.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
What is the offset for the starting script? As in, the one where Oak says "Hi! Welcome to the world of Pokémon!"

Setzer Gabbiani

Gambler
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Hello there everyone, I registered here a while back, but just got around to begin my career in Pokemon hacking. I had a quick question that I couldn't find in the tutorial section by searching, or in this thread.

Back when I first tried hacking a few years ago, I found a tutorial on how to replace the Professor Intro in the game. With my story idea, I would prefer it to be something along the lines of a book with text/a collection of pictures with text for the intro. Could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that helps with this topic?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
What is the offset for the starting script? As in, the one where Oak says "Hi! Welcome to the world of Pokémon!"
I don't believe that it's a script - you can however edit the text with a hex editor or using a-text.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
In firered how do I make the badge fanfare play? I can't find it anywhere in the original game's code.

decompile a gym script and look for it... all you do is open the script of an existing gym leader and look for the sound. if you dont see it, it's probably something like MSG_OBTAIN but for gym leaders

Years

Include this is the textbox before "[player] obtained the Badge"

\c\h06Á

(assuming you're using XSE, it may be different for other scripting languages)

It's like this in the default Brock script from FireRed:

...\c\h06Á[player] received the BOULDERBADGE\nfrom BROCK!\c\h17\c\h0BÇÀ\c\h08\n\c\h08[Ke]\c\h18\p\c\h06ÇJust having...

The \c commands after "\nfrom Brock!" might be a pseudo-"fadetodefault" command, but I'm not really sure.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not Zel2.0 made the Shiny Gold overworld maps publicly available. Thanks

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
I don't think so but you could try to contact him, but I don't think hes active..

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
I have a Samsung galaxy tablet (I think it's a 3) that's only been used for about a week. The first few days the emulator (My Boy! Gba emulator) and games (legit games such as emerald, sapphire; fake games such as pokemon chaos black and rom hacks such as pokemon snakewood) worked good but now the sound is very scratchy, it misses notes and it is very annoying. Sometimes it's a second here or there but a lot of the time it sounds like it's in slow motion and super slow and messed up. I have tried turning it off, restarting it, deleting and redownloading My Boy!, closing other running apps and deleting other content on my tablet. It was running fine even when I had less space on my tablet than I did before and these same games were fine before too. Do you know another emulator I can get from the Playstore that I won't have this problem with or tell me how to fix this problem? Please explain it easily because I am very new to the Rom world and I barely can grasp anything. Thank you so much if you help, it'll mean a lot to me. I've been wanting to play roms forever and finally could and this problem with the sound is really annoying and disappointing, since it makes playing the games a lot less enjoyable...

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I have a Samsung galaxy tablet (I think it's a 3) that's only been used for about a week. The first few days the emulator (My Boy! Gba emulator) and games (legit games such as emerald, sapphire; fake games such as pokemon chaos black and rom hacks such as pokemon snakewood) worked good but now the sound is very scratchy, it misses notes and it is very annoying. Sometimes it's a second here or there but a lot of the time it sounds like it's in slow motion and super slow and messed up. I have tried turning it off, restarting it, deleting and redownloading My Boy!, closing other running apps and deleting other content on my tablet. It was running fine even when I had less space on my tablet than I did before and these same games were fine before too. Do you know another emulator I can get from the Playstore that I won't have this problem with or tell me how to fix this problem? Please explain it easily because I am very new to the Rom world and I barely can grasp anything. Thank you so much if you help, it'll mean a lot to me. I've been wanting to play roms forever and finally could and this problem with the sound is really annoying and disappointing, since it makes playing the games a lot less enjoyable...

That sounds like quite the weird problem, though I'm thinking it's a hardware problem. Does your sound work normally for other applications? If it does, which ROM hacks are giving you audio issues? Try running Emerald again and see if it gives audio issues. If it doesn't, it's quite possible it's just the hack itself/patching problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back