• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X,Y or ORAS?

Years
  • A while ago I sold my copies of AS and X. I'm thinking of buying a new one but not sure which. I like ORAS but X,Y seems more free roaming and lets you do more sooner as well as provides more items for a better gameplay experience. Am I the only who thinks this? does anybody else agree? I'm not sure which to buy

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • They both their advantages and unique qualities, but I'm more partial to ORAS. Like Ben already said, there's a lot of issues with X/Y that ORAS cleaned up and ORAS does a good job at building on and improving a lot of what X/Y originally introduced (like the PSS displaying your friend code and integrating Pokemon Amie affection into contest stat growth).

X and Y have their advantages too, like character customization and the Friend Safari. So I still play both games for those reasons mentioned, but I get a bit more enjoyment out of ORAS. (But, I'm holding out hope that Z will improve on all of them and become my new favorite!)

Years
  • Most would prefer you pick OR/AS due to the better mechanics but the thing is, X/Y also has some of its own features that OR/AS doesn't have. Also, OR/AS takes place in an older region (Hoenn) as it's a remake whereas X/Y takes place in a brand new region (Kalos).

Basically here's the pros and cons.

OR/AS
    Pros:
    - Improved Hoenn Pokedex
    - Story is expanded from the original versions
    - DexNav
    - Mega Stones not being version exclusive
    - Huge postgame content, including Battle Maison and catching legendaries

Cons:
    - No trainer customization
    - May not be as enjoyable if you already played R/S/E
    - Like the originals, you often need to switch between two bicycles
    - Pokedex is smaller and has less variety

X/Y
    Pros:
    - Trainer customization, where you can change clothes and hairstyles
    - Huge regional dex, allowing for tons of Pokemon variety
    - Friend Safari

Cons:
    - Lacks the new Mega Evolutions found in OR/AS
    - Not much postgame content
    - Also, not as much catchable legendaries compared to OR/AS

And the Exp. Share mechanics in this generation now affect the whole team, and it can be toggled on or off so keep that mind if you want a challenge because leaving it on too much can cause you to overlevel your team and eliminate any chance of having a challenge. They have their differences, so it all comes down to whether you prefer making your own character (X/Y) or more postgame (OR/AS).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    ORAS would have to be my favorite. Though, I did miss seeing and using the player customization feature that these two games had taken out.

Years
  • just finished Y a couple days ago. now just catching a few more to put into pokebank and rounding out my elite team.

I kind of hate legendaries so that doesn't appeal to me and Hoenn i remember was my least favorite region. But, most people have migrated to ORAS by now if you're into online and its true there's hardly any post game for XY :-/

that said i did have a blast buying outfits for my character and using the roller skates (which i hear they removed for ORAS). Also the available pokemon is insane. Was really awesome going through the game and finding like 4+ different monster kinds in one place. So much variety, by the time i beat the elite 4 i had about 5 boxes full which is more than i've ever had in one sweep.

Regardless i plan on crossing over really soon.

i recommend both.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    ORAS definitely added some great updates, plus it's the newer game and with serious speculation of Z Version approaching, I would absolutely get ORAS. XY is a great game and does have a lot to offer as well, but between the two if I had to make a choice, it would def be ORAS.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I enjoyed ORAS more than I did X. I had X spoiled the hell out of before I could get it, and it just didn't feel like it was suspenseful. I really enjoyed the original R/S which is why I was really hyped up for the remakes. At least I had nothing spoiled this time around and a lot of new features caught me by surprise.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • the bike thing is no issue anymore since you get both bkes by talking to certain people during the quest

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    A while ago I sold my copies of AS and X. I'm thinking of buying a new one but not sure which. I like ORAS but X,Y seems more free roaming and lets you do more sooner as well as provides more items for a better gameplay experience. Am I the only who thinks this? does anybody else agree? I'm not sure which to buy

Why don't you just download an emulator though and use online roms? If there isn't a rom yet, there will be soon. You literally don't need to make the choise, get all 3 xD

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    ORAS. It basically comes down to trainer customization versus superior post-game for me, and continued playability outweighs the trainer customization any day. Not to mention the overall improvements ORAS made to the base XY engine.

Years
  • the bike thing is no issue anymore since you get both bkes by talking to certain people during the quest

The issue is that it's still postgame-only. XY on the other hand just gives you one bike that you can still ride around easily in. I was mainly not a fan of how Hoenn handled the bicycle mechanics.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Personal opinion, I'm quite worn out with Hoenn. I don't dislike it, it feels so over-saturated. And yet, despite those fleeting emotions, it's still the better buy over X/Y. With ORAS, you get so much more; while XY feel like a shell waiting for Z to flesh it out. If it were me, I'd buy ORAS and save up for Z. At the end of the day, whichever you choose, enjoy it. Cheers.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    X/Y or R/S?

I haven't played a pokemon game in a few generations and I'd like to get back into it. The player search system in the new games is one of the main reasons I'd like to come back. Since X/Y and R/S are in the same generation, are they on the same pss network? If not, is the community in X/Y still active in trades and pvp? I'd rather get the game with a new story and new pokemon, but not if it would be hard to find matches.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Ruby and Sapphire are from different gen, if your talking about OR/AS. Yes, they're in same gen and the community in XY still active, just look at the trade shops and many people online on ORAS and XY. I'm not sure about the PvP though you might check Quick Battle section if your looking for a quick battle either competitive or fun

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I haven't played a pokemon game in a few generations and I'd like to get back into it. The player search system in the new games is one of the main reasons I'd like to come back. Since X/Y and R/S are in the same generation, are they on the same pss network? If not, is the community in X/Y still active in trades and pvp? I'd rather get the game with a new story and new pokemon, but not if it would be hard to find matches.
    We have a thread pretty similar to yours so I merged it into that, jsyk.

XY and ORAS are both on the same PSS network, though there are some restrictions. As far as trading goes you can't trade any items introduced in ORAS to XY (like the Red Orb or Metagrossite) or any Pokemon with moves that didn't exist in XY (which is just Groudon with Precipice Blades, Kyogre with Origin Pulse, and Rayquaza with Dragon Ascent). But other than that it's fine.

As far as battling goes, you can challenge other players directly in the PSS, unless the ORAS player has an ORAS only mega on their team. However in BattleSpot you will only ever battle people with the same version pair as you.

I'm pretty sure the online XY playerbase is still active enough too.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    OR/AS has more new stuff introduced, but X/Y has the trainer customization which I like a lot. All the new items and a few new attacks and formes introduced in OR/AS can't be obtained or used in X/Y (you'd think with the 3DS and eShop + updates being possible, they'd be able to make an update for X/Y that adds all that new stuff, but no...)

If a Z version comes out, it should have all the new stuff from OR/AS included, and probably some more of its own. I really hope they include more post-game areas to explore, more post-game in general actually. X/Y were sorely lacking. Heck, even the E4 didn't change at all after you beat the game. Why didn't they do that? I mean, every other game before since like Platinum had an improved Elite Four the second time around (even FR/LG, R/S/E didn't though.)

X/Y had Battle Maison which I thought was okay, for X/Y. I don't like how they just copy/pasted that for OR/AS. They should have included the Battle Frontier as a whole, but they decided Battle Frontier would be too much. Why didn't they at least make the Battle Tower? Even though they're both the same, Battle Maison is just... eugh. Not the same feel as Battle Tower at all and doesn't feel like it fits in OR/AS.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • As much as I adore X/Y along with character customization, I'm going to have to go with OR/AS simply because I am a Hoenn geek! <3 I love how the plot revolves around meteorology. I've always loved that about the Hoenn games.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    This is a tough choice to make. I like ORAS and XY for different reasons but if I had to choose it would have to be ORAS. The third generation is my favorite and still is as of now.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm possibly enjoy both. since I can't pick one.

ORAS
    The Pros:
    - Mega Evolutions
    - Delta Episodes
    - Catching legendaries
    - Cosplay Pikachu
    - Interesting Storyline
    - Expandable postgame (Battle resort)
    - The return of Pokemon Contest (from original series)
    - Get mega stones without being version exclusive
    -
    Super Secret Base (can act as your own gym and the trainers are beneficial)

The Cons:
    - No customization
    - Apparently some mega-evolution isn't very original (Mega-Slowbro)
    - You need to switch bikes to reach certain place where 2 bicycles are required to reach, but yet you can get 2 bikes for doing randle adverting
    - Pokedex seems shrunk and small
    -
    Required to get another version exclusive legendaries from friend, GTS or wondertrade(e.g. need Dialga and Palkia on both team to get Giratina) to get third of the trio
    - The fun factor is bit mediocre

XY
    Pros:
    - Player Customization
    - Expanded pokedex
    - Friend Safari

Cons:
    - Not much variety of Mega Evolution as in OR
    - Version Exlusive Mega Stones
    - Only postgame are Looker's Quest (which isn't very pleasing and lackuster)
    - Not much legendary you can catch
    - Bland Storyline

Back