• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Stasis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
  • Double posting is against the rules here but, meh, it was an update post.
    The game looks awesome, the most impressive game I've seen here for a while. As Krazy said, you're brave for doing this in GM, the map maker is evil.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Wow, this has alot of similarities to my game- I need to step up my production rate. On that note I would like to say good work so far ;)

Toadsworth

I'm bored..... Blerk...
    Years
  • That looks fantastic!

Can i be beta tester, I worked about a year with game maker to make funny games :D and i know how to use it!

PM back plz...

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • Hmm... Might as well update you guys with what's going on.

Right now I have about 3 (maybe 4) projects I've been working on for awhile that I go back and forth with. I used to get bored and stuck on a game, so I'd give it up forever, but with projects I can switch back and forth, when I get stuck on one game I can switch to another and get past whatever stopped me from working on that one last time.

So yeah, after realizing that ripping and coding in every battle animation would be pretty much impossible (it took me like 2 days to do 5 or 6), I kind of switched back to working on my online text RPG.

However, before I ever go back to working on this, I'm going to need a way to not have to code in every battle animation. I was thinking of maybe having a generic move foward, slash, and with an icon of whatever element of the move is being used. So I only need about 15 battle animations. =/ As much as I'd like to have it professional and have all the animations, I know I'd never touch the game again if I knew I still had to get that done. =P

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    It isn't often when you get to feast your eyes on such an incredible game.

The plot is very original, the mapping is just incredible, and the battle system looks amazing! ^_^ I love the PP system, I have always wanted the official games to have one like that, but I had no such luck...

I also like the fact that you didn't (or atleast you didn't say you had -or would) add too many meaningless things, such as day and night. I like Pokémon games being simple.

I have some criticism though. That battle background doesn't look too good in my opinion. The plants seem to be too close to eachother and they are lined up too neatly too. Try reducing the amount of the plants and scatter them all around the place instead. The sky also seems a little bit too bright, it's hard on the eyes and looks blurry.

But overall: this game looks very promising and I hope to see updates from you soon. Keep up the great work ~_^

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • Thanks a lot. =) The battle background is temporary though. I completely randomly just threw a bunch of stuff together in photoshop and copy and pasted it over and over to make it look like grass so that it was something I could live with for awhile until I actually got around to making backgrounds. So yeah, don't worry, that's not staying. ^^

If anyone could please comment on the battle animations thing... Just wondering whether it would really hurt it that much to have generic animations for each type rather than one per move...

Hopefully I can get back to work on this soon and get you guys some new screenshots. =)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    It probably wont hurt too much- you could probably do it like in pokemon stadium, where flashes of the elements colour would represent an attack.

Years
  • I ripped about 8 animations in 10 mins :/
    I think the tackle animation is used in about 50 attacks lol :) Keep up the good work ^.^

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    There is a difference between ripping animations and using them straight up, and coding them in. If he ripped the animations and used them like that, then he would have to do it for every attack and for every pokemon combination- that would just be silly.

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • Okay, so I have a generic animation set up that is pretty boring and lame, but it uses a little icon based on the type of the move. The little icons are pretty cool though! ^_^ But now I can actually get on with actually making the game. I'm getting nearer to getting all the systems done and being able to actually MAKE the game, rather than programming in the systems. I do have the first tiny cutscene done as you wake up when you begin the game, but that's only so I could program the cutscene/sequence/message system. =D

Anyway, I'm going to make the pokedex now. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out lame. I'll be using the same pokedex system as Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and not Firered/Leafgreen, because the FR/LG one sucked. =P But I think I'm going to be leaving some stuff out of the pokedex. For example, in the pokedex normally you can see the small sprite of the pokemon compared to a trainer, and also can hear the cry of it... But those are pretty much useless to most players, and would take too much work to add in, so I'm going to leave those out. Not sure about the AREA thing. I'm definitely leaving it out initially... But it wouldn't be TOO hard to code in (other than having to add the areas for all the pokemon separately, and every time I change them having to go back and change them in the file would take forever), but we'll see how it goes.

So yeah... We'll see how this pokedexing goes... And if it goes well I'll be back later with screens. (Probably won't be as easy as I'm hoping it will be. xD)

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • Okay, so I wasn't able to get it done last night, but I got the basics done now...

stasis_015.gif

You can now scroll through them all, and holding scroll makes it scroll faster. The hardest part was that I have it in a window, so I had to make it so as it scrolled down, it only drew PART of the image, so that it wouldn't show up down outside the window, because the height of some of the pokemon would make it do that.

Still got some more to do, but it shouldn't be that hard. =)

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • Dashiel said:
    Wow! So its just like the Pokédex in the official games?

Yes. I'm trying to imitate pretty much everything from Ruby/Sapphire, except changing some things that I think could use improvements.

@FireKP1: No plans for a demo at the moment. Not sure how much I want to get in before I release a demo.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Nice recolour :) You should probably recolour and rename the "Start" and "select" buttons though, since they don't exist on the keyboard (also, the colour doesn't seem to match up as nicely as it could).

Ketay

Keyblade Master
    Years
  • GMuser said:
    Nice recolour :) You should probably recolour and rename the "Start" and "select" buttons though, since they don't exist on the keyboard (also, the colour doesn't seem to match up as nicely as it could).

Well, the only thing that I DID recolor was the Start/Select buttons. The rest is default. But for some reason, the green and yellow is really ugly (but that's how it is in the game...) I'll be recoloring those though, and along with changing start/select (Thanks, I probably would have forgot that), I'll change the POKEDEX text because that is ugly. (Unless I can't find something that fits).

But I don't see why they used such ugly colors in the game. I guess it didn't matter because their's wasn't windowed. I probably could have used the one from Sapphire though... (I think I'm using the one from Emerald... Not sure... I keep switching back and forth for different stuff when I rip them.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back