• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do many people texting a lot?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    I know some of you like to text.. but is it really that necessary? i don't get it what is there to discuss about?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What is there not to discuss? Texting is a way of communicating, like sending letters really quick (and really short). Type a smiley, talk about your day, decide when you'll meet a friend, just anything. I'm the kind of person who is much more comfortable with texting, or e-mailing, than calling another person up to talk for real. Dunno why, really. I'm shy? :x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    When you have someone you enjoy talking to, you can almost always find something to discuss. A Buzzfeed quiz result, what you're cooking for dinner, something funny a mutual friend said, how annoying your history teacher is...and that's without even going into current events and gossip. Then there's planning to meet each other and just generally keeping them up-to-date on your life.

It's not really about it being necessary; it's about it being enjoyable. If you can stay in close contact with a lot of people in your life at once, why wouldn't you?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    it is ok to send discuss important stuff such as meeting place, work but i think most people
    are discussing useless stuff

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    But that's what fun! It's just like talking, face to face, casually. Only you don't need to be face to face and you can think for a little while before you reply so the conversation can actually be more coherent through texts than it might have been face to face.

If you think it's useless to talk casually, then I think it's a pity. It's part of being human :3

If you can stay in close contact with a lot of people in your life at once, why wouldn't you?
    Because it's tedious :D /shot

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    When you have someone you enjoy talking to, you can almost always find something to discuss. A Buzzfeed quiz result, what you're cooking for dinner, something funny a mutual friend said, how annoying your history teacher is...and that's without even going into current events and gossip. Then there's planning to meet each other and just generally keeping them up-to-date on your life.

It's not really about it being necessary; it's about it being enjoyable. If you can stay in close contact with a lot of people in your life at once, why wouldn't you?

you seem to be social animal.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Aren't most people actively posting on a forum, communicating with others, social animals?

Being social isn't a useless endeavor anyway. Especially in this world - careers are often made on social encounters, and it's certainly helpful to have many close friends if something disastrous happens and you need assistance in some way.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I do text, but only to those who are close to me and need a quick way of approaching them when I'm unable to send direct phone calls (such when I'm either at work, in class, or just about any other place that don't allow me to call). xD;; Personally, I prefer IMing over anything, because, well, in my opinion, it's much more simple and easy. If people aren't online when I need them, then texting is my next option.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I seriously love texting, but I'm not over the top with it. It's just so convenient and so easy. It's become an everyday thing so it's not that amazing to anyone anymore, but sometimes when I think about it I really am amazed that I can be anywhere and contact someone else instantly.

it is ok to send discuss important stuff such as meeting place, work but i think most people

I don't really see your point though. Yeah so what if most of the conversation is pointless stuff? Isn't that what most conversation usually is regardless of the format it's taking place on? If I want to tell someone a pointless story I'm going to tell them whether it's through text, a phone call, in person, etc. Texting is just preferred because it's usually the fastest and easiest.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I actually find texting degrades communication. Not only does it promote poor grammar, bad spelling and poor punctuation (in a time where less people read; therefore, they cannot catch or correct their mistakes), but people aren't seeing eachother as often face-to-face anymore. Technology has separated people in an intriguing way: as I believe some things, such as Skype and texting, were originally meant to connect people, they're also used as forms of avoidance, too. I myself prefer to text than to actually meet up and do things. Skype for me is different because I only use it with my boyfriend, who currently resides 250km away. Some people use it when they live up the street, though.

My grandmother has custody of her granddaughter right now, and the child's mother lives three blocks away. She can't even be bothered to go and see her kid; she resorts to Skype instead. Is that not sad?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • The thing that really ticks me off though is when you see two or more people texting each other when they're in the same room. In a way texting can be habit that's detrimental to social skills.

(But not all the time though!)

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I actually find texting degrades communication. Not only does it promote poor grammar, bad spelling and poor punctuation (in a time where less people read; therefore, they cannot catch or correct their mistakes), but people aren't seeing eachother as often face-to-face anymore. Technology has separated people in an intriguing way: as I believe some things, such as Skype and texting, were originally meant to connect people, they're also used as forms of avoidance, too. I myself prefer to text than to actually meet up and do things. Skype for me is different because I only use it with my boyfriend, who currently resides 250km away. Some people use it when they live up the street, though.

My grandmother has custody of her granddaughter right now, and the child's mother lives three blocks away. She can't even be bothered to go and see her kid; she resorts to Skype instead. Is that not sad?

I'd like to say that it also is aiding communication considering it's a good and quick way to get a message across to with out speaking to them face to face or writing a letter or calling them. Not everyone likes talking or having to make eye contact so texting is a way for them to express their thoughts without speaking. Of course though, you should do some speaking to others anyway. I really hope we don't start texting our orders at McDonalds instead of telling our order. It does bother me though when I see two people right next to each other and they're texting each/ friends instead of speaking......

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I'd like to say that it also is aiding communication considering it's a good and quick way to get a message across to with out speaking to them face to face or writing a letter or calling them. Not everyone likes talking or having to make eye contact so texting is a way for them to express their thoughts without speaking. Of course though, you should do some speaking to others anyway. I really hope we don't start texting our orders at McDonalds instead of telling our order. It does bother me though when I see two people right next to each other and they're texting each/ friends instead of speaking......

I definitely see that side of the coin, for sure :) I'm just concerned because people aren't reading enough nowadays, so their grasp of grammar is already poorer than those who do read. That coupled with the "wen will u b here" or "prolly around 8 k" ways of texting only add to the issue.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I really think at certain times texting serves as a blanket that people hide behind because they're too scared to talk face to face with people. I definitely understand the usefulness of texting, but when it comes to the point that it's a habit...it's a hindrance.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • That coupled with the "wen will u b here" or "prolly around 8 k" ways of texting only add to the issue.

Yeah it bothers me when people type/text like this. I get that there's a character limit with some texting services, but you should still be able to use proper grammar when texting honestly. I can see where it's promoting bad grammar and a lack of interest in reading for sure. I still like reading books when I have the time though. :3

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I text when I need to, I don't do it compulsively at every single moment I can get, even when my phone gets boomed up by all the people in my classes. But considering that most people are dying just because they aren't using their phone isn't actually a very good reason at all.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I use texting and steam as my main forms of communication. {XD}

I text Boyfriend all day because he's at work, so I can't exactly call! He shouldn't be texting on the job around power tools, but disregard that.
    I text my best friend and two of my sisters because I can't often call them -- they both work and have babies. Our conversations usually span over a few days/weeks/months because intermittent replies from them.
    And I pester other friends/family over steam because it's a lot easier to use my keyboard than a broken phone. Also because different time zones and busy lives.

None of it has had any further impact on my inability to write/read than my dyslexia already does. Why do people feel the need to blame inanimate objects for everything other people do, or can't do, instead of the actual people?
    If someone can't ♥♥♥♥ing read or write, their phone is not to blame.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I think a bigger issue centered around texting is how often people are texting and the situations they are centered around. For instance, the people who are spending family time with their parents but are too attached to their phone to put it down, or if you're at a party with your friends you can't seem to find time for yourself to just chat with them.

I think our generation is becoming too attached to our phones and in technology in general, which is why we're losing some of the "old ways" like talking on a phone or reading books. And I'm not afraid to say I'm guilty of it myself; I find myself at times spending way too much time on my phone, but I've been working on it.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • *reads title* Oh my...

I only text my friends when I need to notify them of something, and there's no other way of doing so. Or vice versa.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • it is ok to send discuss important stuff such as meeting place, work but i think most people

You seem to be under the illusion that conversation always has some important purpose behind it. If that's right, Chit Chat Cafe would seriously need to be closed down haha.

Back